SW1's Wolves

SW1

Urgh ... Now I have plans in my head to do loads of different models for my SW's. Need to avoid starting them all at the same time and then never finishing any. :(

Really digging The Ironwolves the more I think about what direction I want to go in with the first phase of my SW collection.

• 3 weeks later...

Urgh ... On the way out this morning I noticed the full SW collection spread across the floor. I'd pulled them out of storage to rebase them onto 32mm bases. Left them nice and high away from the hands of the kids. Seems someone decided to move a chair and tool box to make an adhoc ladder. The kicker is most have stayed on the blasted bases but a lot of arms/weapons/heads/backpacks have come off!!!

The full collection of models I painted up to be the SW ETL forum champion plus some extras. Closed the door to the room and left them to sort out tonight. Think the lads have got a few things to answer for when I see them in the morning. :(

Really trying to see this as a positive, a chance to restart from afresh. But :cuss: it's a bit of a blow just as I was starting to get a bit of the old hobby mojo back.

Urgh ... On the way out this morning I noticed the full SW collection spread across the floor. I'd pulled them out of storage to rebase them onto 32mm bases. Left them nice and high away from the hands of the kids. Seems someone decided to move a chair and tool box to make an adhoc ladder. The kicker is most have stayed on the blasted bases but a lot of arms/weapons/heads/backpacks have come off!!!

The full collection of models I painted up to be the SW ETL forum champion plus some extras. Closed the door to the room and left them to sort out tonight. Think the lads have got a few things to answer for when I see them in the morning. :sad.:

Really trying to see this as a positive, a chance to restart from afresh. But :censored:: it's a bit of a blow just as I was starting to get a bit of the old hobby mojo back.

trust me, i feel your pain.

I leave a single model within reach and I can guarentee my "guy" has been commandeered for bashing into either the incredible hulk or iron man! >< they dont hold up well lol

Looks like some models have survived. But I'm now looking at a start from scratch. Too many are going to need work on them to make it worth while.

I think a re-look at which grey I want to use is on the cards.

The Ironwolves will be a tank heavy force. I think I need to look at some form of sandable filler that'll work with plastic kits.

Ironwolves to me should be dark and really gritty. Just the name alone makes it sound like these guys are hardened veterans. If I were to do an Ironwolves force I would be looking at an almost black grey using a rusty iron trim. I wouldn't want these guys looking like they just stepped out of the fang with brand new armor. I'd want them to look like they had been in the trenches breaking walls and doors and stuff.

I've never liked the baby blue GWS has been using for the SW's in 40k, the lightest I'd go is Mechanicum Grey. Though that's lighter than I really want to do them.

I really want to find a colour I can just buy rather than mixing a custom colour up as I have that much stuff I'd be having to make additional mixes.

I'm considering for the Great Company a variation on the Ragnar pad. Either a a dark red background with a yellow wolfs head (like the old school RT army pad) or dark red background with a metallic wolfs head.

Currently the reds in the are my are bright blood/ruby red and the yellows are bright bad moons or something similar. They're going and being replaced with more muted colours.

Sucks to hear about your army.

However it now gives you a chance to see how your modelling/painting has evolved since you first started the painting process.

As far as greys, I use mech grey, with a nuln oil wash, if sticking to GW paints the next step is probably eshin grey which is darker. I know bladewolf uses Eshin and Nuln Oil to get an almost black for his Templars.

If you want to go old school RT you an get plenty of the old transfers from ebay, and I am sure if making your own there is a downloadable template on B&C.

I tried the red yellow combo, and in some areas it works well, in other areas it doesn't. Could just be my paint style though. Just make sure to dull the wellow down, or having this bright spot in a dark background might look a little jarring to the eye. A blue wash across the reds, will dull them down quite nicely, and go with something like xv-88 for your base colour on the yellows to help mute it a bit.

I never use custom colours, except one time and it has been a pain to get colour matches, so never again

Welcome back to the Aett :)

I've never liked the baby blue GWS has been using for the SW's in 40k, the lightest I'd go is Mechanicum Grey. Though that's lighter than I really want to do them.

I really want to find a colour I can just buy rather than mixing a custom colour up as I have that much stuff I'd be having to make additional mixes.

I'm considering for the Great Company a variation on the Ragnar pad. Either a a dark red background with a yellow wolfs head (like the old school RT army pad) or dark red background with a metallic wolfs head.

Currently the reds in the are my are bright blood/ruby red and the yellows are bright bad moons or something similar. They're going and being replaced with more muted colours.

I know I say this alot but look into grey liner I think it's from reaper. I'll check for a link

I know I say this alot but look into grey liner I think it's from reaper. I'll check for a link

This one?

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/liner/sku-down/09065

Cheers, I'll have a look at that.

I'm toying with the idea of not stripping the existing models just lightly applying my main grey by airbrush and taking it from there. So I'll possibly be looking at airbrush paints available in BIG bottles. Maybe there's a dark grey primer available? Most seem to be medium grey similar to pound shop grey car primer. Not dark enough for what I want really.

The other thing I need to do is make some masters for some new 32mm bases. All the existing models are on my own custom cast resin bases in 25mm. Not sure exactly what bases I want to use for the wolves. There's a fair few on TDA bases but it looks wrong. So maybe some oval bases are in order.

Army painter do a dark grey I think, but its 10 quid a pop, same price as GW.

GW do standard mech grey as a spray also.

I bought a dark grey primer from Poundland a while back. It was between Eshin and Mech grey. Not sure if they still do it though. Was in small cans, but considering it was a pound, it wasn't so bad.

The poundland colour varies too much. I've bought several tins at the same time and what looked like the same batch. The colour varied a fair bit which doesn't netter when it's scenery or something that getting a base coat over the top. But for basecoat application. I'm probably better off using the airbrush.

I might try putting GWS paints through it and see what happens.

Lol ... I foresee a blocked airbrush.

I bought some of the mech grey for my airbrush, but I am yet to use either the paint or the brush lol.

I am intrigued to see, just how much use you can get from a single pot of Air Mech Grey.

I just got a cleaning kit and stuff for it, so I am looking forward to trying it out in anger. Currently looking for some decent tutorials on youtube :)

I never noticed much a variance in the colour, but I only used about 2 cans. I used the dark grey to base coat my assault marines, Spartan and Land raider Achilles. The silver I used for the Knight Castigator skeleton and for base coating my Grey Knight army. The silver is not a great primer/ basecoat though as the glazes tended to need a few coats to "stick".

Cleaning stuff is getting ordered so airbrush will be up and running properly in a week or so.

That means I need to get cracking with prepping some models. :D

After prepping 5 x 32mm bases to match the texture on my brothers boards I've decided to cast them up. I'm also considering some oval bases for bikes and wolves.

Just need the rubber to still be in a usable state.

Last night I managed to get a dread base, 2 ovals and a few TDA sized masters sorted. Hopefully I'll be able to do a pouring session this morning so them moulds will be read to see production by Wednesday/Thursday next week. I've already got some 25mm ones and a single TDA base mould in use with the right texture on them. So it's just rounding out the full collection. I've done most of the prep on a few bike bases as well but now I've done some ovals I think they'll become my go to base for bikes.

While passing the local pound shop this morning I noticed a new stock of grey primer. So I bought a few (ok more than a few .., maybe a rucksack full is a better description) to trial different grey ideas. If I can get them to work will be much easier to do stuff on mass.

The guy serving me wished me a 'tagging' good day. Lol ... Maybe he got the wrong end of the stick. :p

Well the moulds were poured about 6pm so should be ok to demould in the morning.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/image/179104-image/ (will edit pic in later)

Lol ... I think the most fun bit was 'borrowing' the Lego from the lads. :p

Tried a new way of sealing the board to the Lego walls. Just a line of sulphur free plastacine did the job without having to use any form of glue!!! Will make removing the mould from the masters much easier. :tu

Been playing around with the arms/bodies available for the TDA WG. It seems I can do a fairly CC orientated 10 man unit with 2x TH+SS, the rest with pair WC's and 2 CML added to 2 of the ones armed with WC's. Mixing in a 7 or 8 vanilla metal bodies I can do 4x 5 man packs with PF/CF + SB's. One of the packs with a HF and 3 with AC's. That's without chopping up any B@C TDA weapons to make combi-bolters.

The moulds came out well. Just a little clean up needed mainly to the exterior of the moulds to neaten up and make sure the sit flat ...

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/image/179183-image/

I was going to pitch in with the guard this coming ETL but it looks like the call of the pack may be too strong. ;)

I couldn't quite get the right mix of arms for all the metal TDA bodies I have knocking around so a strategic purchase of another box of TDA WG and a box of 15 BC's (you can get 15 for £30 on the GWS site) saw me spend enough to get entered into the prize draw currently running on the GWS site.

I should now have the parts/models to do all the SW's in PA or TDA I'll ever want to do (well for 40k anyway). So now I just need to get things assembled and painted.

The plan is rattle cans of grey primer. Then either a brown or black wash. I need to decide what grey they are then getting painted. I also need to find a nice rich red and a golden yellow that give constant reliable results. I also want to find a dark metal and a brass/gold I'm happy with. So dedicated paints just for the SW's. Probably going to try finding Vallejo colours as I like the dropper bottles. Unless anyone can recommend other dropper paints to try?

Archived