SW1's Wolves

SW1

With getting the additional box of TDA WG I have a few options on directions I want to go with them

I'll have enough SS/TH to do the Arjac Shieldbrothers formation and enough WC armed to do either a 10 man or 2x 5 man Void Claws formation. I'm guessing both can have CML included? This will free up the TDA armour I got from the B@C boxes for possible 30k wolves or a different legion project.

I've also been going through the old rhinos and they've got a lot of parts missing. I do have some of the bits unglued. So it looks like I'll need to make some of the missing bits magically appear. I'm also thinking of altering the shape of the bodies of the rhinos to make them a bit more boxy on the rear end keeping the sides as per the original shape. However major work will be needed to make the sides usable unless I cover up them with extra armour. I now remember why I decided to dump them all in a box and stick the in the attic. Part of me is inclined to try sorting these out first and saving the higher points value stuff for ETL time.

Ouch, those Rhino's are a hot mess.

Yup ... And before I decided to rip the sides off to fit extra armour plates to the sides the were in fairly good nick. Really wish I'd not had the bright idea of adding extra armour now.

But that was not far off 2 decades ago when I was young and foolish. Sometimes retrospect is a :cuss.

Ouch, those Rhino's are a hot mess.

Yup ... And before I decided to rip the sides off to fit extra armour plates to the sides the were in fairly good nick. Really wish I'd not had the bright idea of adding extra armour now.

But that was not far off 2 decades ago when I was young and foolish. Sometimes retrospect is a :cuss.

I wish I had my first space wolf army still. I had 6 of those darn rhinos a full complement of marines with them. I was 13 and they were painted very poorly so I tried stripping the paint off of all the models about 3 years after I had painted then. The only thing I have left is the metal Bjorn now who I use as muderfang. I ended up practically melting the plastic of the minis using any type of chemical I could to strip them.

@ lovesmuffins - Ouch ... Melting your models is never fun. I've had a few close calls trying different strippers out but it's only been the odds model rather than a full army. :(

@ Fytharin - :cuss that's really crappy.

@ lovesmuffins - Ouch ... Melting your models is never fun. I've had a few close calls trying different strippers out but it's only been the odds model rather than a full army. :(

@ Fytharin - :cuss that's really crappy.

I was 15 or 16 at the time when I did it no worries though!

@SpiritFox22 - I'm in the dettol camp of stripping. Can't get simplegreen in old blighty. ;)

The 32mm, TDA and dread bases have all come out fine. The smallest oval will work well with bikes and the larger oval might be a bit too big for the intended use of sticking a landspeeder on it? Need to get one assembled and check it out. Will need to see if there's smaller ovals that will work for mounting the old WHFB wolves on and get a mould sorted for them. Lol ... Should have known the bikes and wolves wouldn't be able to share the same base size.

The current batch of resin is really showing it's age. Normally it creates enough internal heat to not worry about warming the moulds. But it's needing a bit of a kick start. So warming the moulds on a radiator and having the 2 component chemicals sat in a very warm room for a few hours before doing a casting session is required. As the moulds don't have too much detail (points when air bubbles will naturally form) they're remaining bubble free on the top surface. I'll be investing in some fresh resin before tackling any more detailed casting.

So I think I'll need to work out what I need base wise for the SW's and then try squeezing as many of them out of this batch of resin as possible.

I've managed to pick up some 60mm x 35mm bases which are a much better for the wolves so I'll crack on with making a master mould for them.

I've also picked up the mail order and started clipping off parts into the bits organiser I have for my wolves. On a very cautious estimate I have in the region of 350 space wolf heads for PA. Lol ... It's probably closer to 450 but I'm not going to count them.

Sorting this sea of unused bits has got me champing on the bit to get cracking. :D

• 2 weeks later...
I've been playing around with bits and I reckon if I mix the bits boxes with the PA I've got from 2 boxes of B@C I should make a decent force of atleast 100 if not more fresh marines. I'll also raid the mk3 stash and see what will come of it. ;)

So looking at models I want to paint up ...

Logan Grimnar

Ragnar Blackmane

Njal in Runic Armour

Njal in TDA

Ulrik the Slayer

Lukas the Trickster

That weighs in at 1030 points.

I'm also fancying doing a model for Sven Bloodhowl and Egil Iron Wolf but don't have them ready to go. Then there's the multiples of Njal and Ulrik which have already been converted up but I'm going to revisit the conversions to see if I can do them better.

I've never managed to get all the TDA WG painted up so that's another aim for this year.

I think I'll end up doing my own GC pad based off Ragnar's GC marking but in an alternative colour. Probably dark red and metal then I can use whichever GC rules I fancy if I ever get a game in. ;)

I believe littlebitz did something similar, using the Ragnar pad, but with a red background.  I'll see if I can find a pic or two.  Looked great, especially if you're not a fan of painting yellow.

Edit:  Check in this post.  Top pic:  

Cheers for the link. :tu:

Been looking at just the HQ's (let's be honest it's where the big points are) and the 15x 32mm bases already cast up won't do all of them. I may be able to push for 3,000 points just in HQ's. If I convert a few extra up.

Just had a play about with my airbrush now I've got the right stuff to clean it with. Need to source the correct grey for the airbrush but things are getting undercoated black rather quickly in prep for ETL fun and games. Funny thing is I'm not due to go up to the store I buy my paints from until mid May, so if the start is the beginning of May it'll force me to be creative with the first vow. Maybe wolves and wolf priests? Lol ... Here's to hoping for a mid month start to the ETL!!!

Sounds like a plan... How did you go with your spray cans from the pound store?

I found that if I prime black, then use the cans at about a 45 degree or so angle, it worlks like a rudimentary airbrush. Hitting the high spots and leaving the undersides darker.

Imprecise but speedy.

Works brilliantly for doing the sketetal frames of the Knights :smile.:

Spray cans have been relighted to new models. Light spray to key the model then slap it with black Vallejo surface primer. The airbrush is finally up and running. Been looking at the air brush paint available through Vallejo and gonna try German grey as the basecoat. Then work up from there. I have a stupid number of SW's just need to work out the best way to do as many as possible as quickly as I can. ;)

Sounds good. I got the vallejo air black primer and it is smooth as silk.

Going to be using Gw's mech grey air paint out. Mainly cos we go near a gw most weekends so i can pick it up

Plus no vallejo stockist mear me.

Looking forward to seeing how the vallejo grey looks.

Archived