I always return to Chaos Marines every few years, and this time around I wanted to try my hand at Red Corsairs again. I initially did some way back in 2008/2009 inspired by both the seminal Huron Blackheart painting by the late Wayne England, as well as the Renegade colour schemes in the back of the (then current) 3.5 Chaos Codex.

My plans and concepts for the project are as followed:

Background

- Non-Astral Claws, so more outcast and autonomous then the ones directly under Blackheart's control.

- Leader is Oneius Prayd, previously a Red Scorpion Astartes Captain turned renegade (I will expand on this tidbit from the 1st edition Apocalypse rulebook).

- Mix of renegades and defectors from loyalist chapters and occasional minor Traitor warband, but with a greater lean towards ex-Red Scorpions.

- Each Red Corsair will have his own little blurb and background - history, choice of wargear / combat preference etc.

Modelling / Converting

- Mix of mostly Loyalist Astartes armour (MkVI - MkVII) with scraps of MkIII and non-conforming Traitor armour modifications. The major exception to this is MkIV, which is extensively used by those previously designated as Red Scorpion Astartes [betrayal at Calth plastics]

- As access to skilled artificers is limited, a prevalent theme throughout is broken, damaged and ill-repaired Power Armour, as well as more individualised scavenged pieces as stopgaps. Each piece of a warrior's armour is a part of his story.

Painting

- Orange-red and black armour, heavily chipped.

- Few heretical insignia and iconography, exceptions for particularly devoted individuals.

- Previous Astartes badges and colours obliterated except for the left shoulder pauldron - albeit crossed through with a red saltire (crossed out)

- - -

Opening work on the first few, mostly experimenting with overall concepts:

++early pict of Picardy Traitor Astartes (warband designation: "Red Corsair", previous designation unknown). Please note the non-standard Bolter ammo belt feed modification, in addition to the decorative tassel on the butt of the grip.++

img_1143-1.jpeg

++magnified pict of damage to right Power Armour leg++

img_1142-2.jpeg

- - -

++early pict of secondary Traitor Astartes (warband designation: "Red Corsair", previous designation "Iron Knights" ["Imperial Fists" Legion successor circa M32]). Please note usage of MkIII "Iron Armour" - conjected to be in use due to this Astartes preference for close-range firefights during boarding actions.++

More battle damage, but this time to the neck area of the chest piece. Still work to be done, but I'm happy with the first session with the putty.

img_1144.jpeg

++end of pict-transmission....++

- - -

Comments, suggestions for Loyalist Chapters to defect from and the such much appreciated. I'll be back with more progress soon!

I remember that Prayd character. He was from that awesome chart that showed several different warbands following a Dark Apostle. I hope you're investing in some Space Wolves bits msn-wink.gif

Thanks for the responses everyone!

I remember that Prayd character. He was from that awesome chart that showed several different warbands following a Dark Apostle. I hope you're investing in some Space Wolves bits msn-wink.gif

According to his warband roster during the Makenna VII campaign, Prayd had a squad of Wolf Brothers. There isn't a massive amount of information on them other then they are the lost successor of the Space Wolves. I can imagine myself doing something like that down the line.

Non-Astral Claws!? But, but! Alright-fine! At least your doing a Red Scorpions traitor! *laughs evilly*

Anyways, nice start mate! Keeping my eye on this ;)

Much of the contemporary Red Corsair fiction is tied to the Badab War and Huron Blackheart's schemings and dealings. Never say never though!

- - -

++loading pict of primary subject++

++error...updating...++

++early pict of primary Traitor Astartes (warband designation: "Red Corsairs", previous designation unknown). Please observe change of Astartes Power Armour helmet (corrupted-pattern) as well as addition superficial firearms damage to right shoulder pauldron.++

img_1160.jpg

++early pict of tertiary Traitor Astartes (warband designation: "Red Corsairs", previous designation unknown). This Astartes displays standardised MkVII "Aquila" Power Armour, except non-pattern ammunition bandolier, as well as damage to upper right leg armour exposing bionic components.++

img_1161-1.jpg

++early pict of quadratic Traitor Astartes (warband designation: "Red Corsairs", previous designation "Lamenters", successor of "Blood Angels" IX Legion circa M36 [see reference "Cursed Founding"]). Traitor Astartes equipped with mixture of MkVI "Corvus" and MkVII "Aquila" Power Armour and armed with MkXII "Ragefire" pattern Plasma Gun.

img_1162.jpg

++loading pict...error...++

++rebooting systems in 3...2...1...

++...All praise be to the Omnissiah...++

- - -

Thanks for reading, suggestions for former chapters and renegade warbands alike appreciated!

Thanks for reading, suggestions for former chapters and renegade warbands alike appreciated!

Lemme see...

• Sons of Orar
  • Howling Griffons
  • Consecrators
  • Rampagers
  • Red Templars
  • Subjugators
  • Death Strike
  • Brazen Claws

I could go on, but I think I had better leave some for other people. :P

Lemme see...

• Sons of Orar
  • Howling Griffons
  • Consecrators
  • Rampagers
  • Red Templars
  • Subjugators
  • Death Strike
  • Brazen Claws

I could go on, but I think I had better leave some for other people. :P

Brazen Claws is a good suggestion, I've added that to my notes. Several companies went rogue during an excursion into the Eye of Terror, I can work with that!

The cracked armour is great! Looking forward to some painted marines!

Might be a little longer until I hit the paint, I've not even decided on a basing scheme yet! Suggestions anyone?

Mister Feral? As in the Mister Feral from Feralique (RIP)? If so, terrific! If not, still terrific because you've done some great work so far and I look forward to seeing more. :)

The one and only, how humbling! I remember Feralique fondly. :)

- - -

I hate to post without something new to show, but my week has been swamped with work. This weekend I will further things and likely order some BaC MkIV plastics before they become harder to get separately. I love the look of the Heavy Bolter in that kit!

always loved this warband - subbed

Can't really go wrong with the original 40K Renegade Astartes! Thanks for following!

- - -

+++loading pict of primary subject+++

+++updating....+++

+++previous designation "Children of Purgatos", request for additional information denied+++

img_1169.jpg

My first attempt at a jagged Chaos arrow and armour trim for the left grease plate. Aside from a file-down and refinement of details, I'm happy to add a few more embellishments to that bit.

+++loading pict of Renegade Astartes (warband designation "Red Corsairs, previous designation "Avenging Sons" successor of "Ultramarines" XIIIth Legion, founded circa M37 - refer to sub-file "Helmabad Rebellion").+++

img_1170.jpg

Pretty standard build for the fifth Red Corsair thus far, except the Dark Angel sergeant head from the Dark Vengeance starter set.

Oh yes, on another note those MkIV BaC are winging their way to me as I type. I can't wait to start mixing those with the bits I have already. I might even start making a Havoc or two!

These traitor astartes are already looking very characterful even without paint. In response to your request for basing suggestions, you could try an ash waste basing, it would contrast with the red corsair colour scheme. Will be keeping an eye on this for sure.

Ash wastes sounds pretty neat, I'll look into that idea!

I'm posting an update without pictures because I need some help. I got some BaC plastics today and I'm not sure which arms go together? I would also like to know which arms to use for the Heavy Bolter as well.

Second question, this time regarding Helbrutes - I also picked one up today and would like to know which warband would you guys like it to originate from? My only real criteria is that people suggest the more obscure Undivided warbands out there (not Legions, but sub-factions are good).

I'll try and do a proper update tomorrow!

Lemme see...

• Sons of Orar
  • Howling Griffons
  • Consecrators
  • Rampagers
  • Red Templars
  • Subjugators
  • Death Strike
  • Brazen Claws

I could go on, but I think I had better leave some for other people. tongue.png

What about some renegades from the Marines Malevolent, Captain Vinyars crew, Sgt Lorkar and his squad. In my fluff at the mo, the 5th company are tracking renegade MM who have joined the Red Corsairs warband into a system controlled by the Sons of Heracles.

Would be cool to see what you would do with renegade Malevolents.

msn-wink.gif

What about some renegades from the Marines Malevolent

Great minds think alike, I did in my notes somewhere note down Marines Malevolent, due to their callous and sneering contempt for "lesser" mortals - likely in my case a former-Devestator turned Havoc - I will do one with either a Missile Launcher or Heavy Bolter.

- - -

The former Lamenters gets a couple of upgrades; a new Plasma Gun from Betrayal at Calth, a hastily-welded on plate on his left leg as well as sculpted ruined Lamenters heraldry. I didn't add the symbolised blood drop as at the painting phase I will paint on ritualised blood splatter at part of this Red Corsair's desecration of his Power Armour.

img_1200.jpg

img_1201.jpg

Also a sneak peak at a new addition to the warband, a Helbrute formerly of the Flawless Host warband:

img_1204.jpg

More progress soon!

• 2 weeks later...

I am absolutely loving the battle damage and detail you are putting onto your marines. In fact it has helped and inspired me on how to do my next few marine squads as i was honestly looking for a way to further achieve a more war torn look without just using dirt, grime and chipped paint.

Consider this thread followed.

• 7 months later...

Back to working on the Red Corsairs!

I've commenced working on these again due to reasons such as the re-released Kill Team rules, the rumours of "upcoming Thousands Sons" as well as those lovely newly-released MkIII Iron Armour models in Burning of Prospero.

Anyway, the first five have finally had all their sculpting, kit bashing and cleaning up done and have been primed;

img_1645-2.jpg?w=225img_1646-1.jpg?w=225

img_1647-1.jpg?w=225img_1648-1.jpg?w=225

img_1649-1.jpg?w=225img_1650-1.jpg?w=225

img_1651.jpg?w=203img_1652.jpg?w=225

img_1653-1.jpg?w=225img_1654-1.jpg?w=225

---

Guns and backpacks are being primed and painted seperataly, hence not in the photos.

Now onto the basecoats!

Stellar stuff!

Thanks!

---

Painting has commenced!

img_1665.jpgimg_1664.jpg

The only parts that have been done are the red and the desecrated shoulder pad. The rest has only been blocked in to get an overall idea of the finished project.

*shudders thinking about painting checkers on a rounded surface...*

By coincidence, the Black Library have also announced a new novel called Tyrant of the Hollow Worlds;

img_1662.jpg

*drops to knees and thanks whoever made this happen*

The cover artwork has given me some ideas for both painting and sculpting for future models in this project.

img_1698.jpg

Batch painting has begun!

Reds are the only thing that have been completed so far.

The recipe for that is as follows;

• Basecoat Mephiston Red
  • Highlight by adding increasing amounts of Troll Slayer Orange to the basecoat colour (up til pure orange for final highlights)
  • Tidy up highlights with glaze of Mephiston Red.
  • Shade by adding increasing amounts of Rhinox Hide to the basecoat colour (up til nearly pure brown for deepest shades).
  • Edge highlights with pure Troll Slayer Orange.
  • Sponge on Rhinox Hide (particularly on hard edges and damaged parts of armour).
  • Glaze all red sections with an even mix of Lamenters Yellow (GW Technical) and Tamiya Clear Orange).
Fairly simple in my books. Putting on the final glaze is incredibly satisfying to me, shame it doesn't dry with the same glossiness it starts off with.

(For better visual consistency and my sanity, I ripped off the various former chapter / warband shoulder pads and replaced them with plain ones. If I can find the Red Corsairs decals I used to have, I'll consider using those instead.)

+++

I received some MkIII "Iron" Armour in the post today, and swiftly added a few components from the kit to a model I build one night;

img_1699.jpg

Built an Aspiring Champion for the beginnings of a second squad of Chaos Marines. I was heavily inspired by an illustration in Black Crusade;

img_1700.jpg

For this second squad, I'm thinking Iron Warrior outcasts with a dirty iron and red colour scheme, with red and black chevrons. I have some background inklings in my head which I need to write up first. Does the Shattered sound like a good minor warband name?

Now to start building the rest of these gorgeous MkIII plastics!

Archived