Red's Death Guard- Mortarion and Armies on Parade

RedInventor

@Skinrider Thanks! I am happy she supports my hobbying as much as she does and the Atrapos was an awesome end of deployment gift (so was the Stingray Corvette I got to ride around in for a few days biggrin.png )

@Disease Thanks mate!

@Svartmetall Couldn't agree more! They are fun to paint and look so good once they are finished

@ Flint13 Thanks for the compliments. I am actually super lazy about all of my lenses. I just wait until the oil wash step then use red oil paint wash to do the eyes. Super easy, looks pretty good and if I make a mistake it is super easy to get rid of!

And now for some progress!

DG Tactical Squads

My 2 Tactical Squads, pretty bare bones but I am happy with how they came out.

Pre Chipping Remainder

All of the stuff I still need to basecoat then chip back. A little hobby tip, don't spray on Vallejo Chipping Medium then get busy with real life for a few weeks. This will lead to your models becoming really sticky and if you have pets, their hair will actively seek out your models. Total bummer lol

Medusa WIP 01

Medusa WIP 02

Chipped back one of the Medusas, still a bit of work to go before I am happy with it.

Mortarion01

Mortarion is finally done! I am super happy with how he came out and I would definitely say he is the best "smaller" model I have ever painted.

mortarion And friends

And here he is with all of his friends!

Thanks for looking and commenting! The comments definitely help to keep me motivated, so thanks again!

-Red

Now for the big update!

I have started work on my Armies on Parade board for this year.  I have been wanting to do this for a few years and I am finally doing it.  Like always I can't just dip my foot, I have to dive right in.  I am about 112 hours into the project and I have been meaning to make a post about it but  every spare second has been going to working on it.  

Ours Plan

The plan! My daughter decided she wanted to help me plan.  This is probably the first terrain project that I haven't really planned out crazy in depth.  I have an image in my head and I am just kind of working towards it.  

The boring concept (you can scroll down to more pics if you want): So pretty much I wanted my siege Death Guard to actually be in a siege, with mud and green goop.  As I worked on ideas and tried to find some inspiration I just kind of floundered.  With Armies on Parade not to far off, buying a house (which I'll be moving to at the end of September), and work I really had no time to sit around aimless.  So I thought to myself who would be the scariest people to siege which then I remembered the Megarachnids from the planet Murder.  Those things are scary and brutal, enter the perfect people to siege!  But I had to be a special snowflake (kind of) and my enemy will be Tyranids.  Wait, they weren't around in the heresy or pre-heresy era!  So I have decided my Tyranids (now called Ariopods) are an early incarnation of Tyranids.  Trapped on the planet of Arion when the previous inhabitants of the planet decided to nuke everything.  Destroying themselves and locking Ariopods in system until more biomass arrived... Enter Death Guard fleet!  Not detecting much life on the planet (Ariopods in stasis or whatever), they descend to the planet and lay siege to the main hive where most of the life signs are.  Awakening the swarm!  My diorama will take place shortly after the first few shells were lobbed, as the Ariopods begin awakening.  

Now for pictures:

Arion WIP 02

Arion WIP 01

Death Guard trenchline in the making.

Arion WIP 06

A Spartan Assault Tank responds to a collapse in the trenchline, disgorging Mortarion and company into the breach!

Arion WIP 05

Arion WIP 03

The cave needs a lot more love!

Next up part 2!

-Red

Looked on your blog, do not think I can comment there because of google.

Project looks awesome and it is really cool that your kids are into it, or atleast loving the Warlord Titan.

Mortarian looks really good. About the fist time his face hasn't gotten lost in the armour and hood. :tu:

Archived