+++ Astropath Terminus Duct: Ardossa IX +++

+++ /access +++
+++ Restricted Access: Vermillion +++
+++ Input Authorization +++
+++ Authorization: Inquis.xenos/ID: 2655-V14 +++
+++ Access Authorized: Query/Armageddon/Adpt.Astartes? +++
+++ Loading/? +++

Curbing the Beast
This being a treatise on the presence and practices of the Adeptus Astartes, Armageddon Theatre.

"Following the invasion of Armageddon by the forces of the Orkoid Warleader known as Ghazghkull Thraka, the esteemed masters of the Caprinaeus Covenant commisioned this report on the Adeptus Astartes known to be active during the Third War for Armageddon, with a particular interest in subjects who showed particular excellence in combating the barbaric Orkoid. I humbly submit my findings, along with the amended files of those selected for duty as Ordo Xenos operatives in subsequent campaigns."

Obediently yours.
Inquisitor Huron Yorst
Nemesis Tessera
5.046.016.M42

+++ Access/FileAA337. +++

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u490/Revnesko/WH40K/Heroes%20of%20Armageddon/DSC01870_zps7lgngnry.jpg

Subject identified as Brother Jhugodei, Eagle Brotherhood.
As all White Scars, Jhugodei hails from the primitive world of Mundus Planus (Scribe's note: Chogoris in the local Dialect), and was raised as a mounted warrior from early childhood. After being selected to join the White Scars, Jhugodei campaigned for nearly a century and a half, before his and three other Brotherhoods joined the Imperial war effort in the Deadlands. He was brought to my attention following the scouring of Armillias' drift, where the Eagle Brotherhood succesfully outmaneuvered the ZaggaGul Speedfreeks, and Jhugodei personally destroyed the Orkoid Chieftains transport with a Meltabomb, affixed to the underside of the massive vehicle while making a pass between the wheels of the speeding craft.

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u490/Revnesko/WH40K/Heroes%20of%20Armageddon/DSC01871_zps21eenywr.jpg

Note Campaign-markings on left greave, signifying attachment to Battlegroup Eclipse

+++ resuming access +++
+++ FileAA331 +++

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u490/Revnesko/WH40K/Heroes%20of%20Armageddon/DSC01951_zps5qweqxh5.jpg

Subject identified as Brother Athar of the Black Dragons, 4th. Squad, 5th. Company

The Black Dragons are notoriously uncooperative, even amongst the aloof Adeptus Astartes. This pictcapt places Brother Athar at the battle for the Valkyrie Bay Refinery on Phoenix Island, where the Black Dragons held out against the massively superior numbers of the Orkoid invaders, eventually beating them back. Unfortunately, the refinery was all but destroyed in the fighting, although the massive chemical spills did aid in routing the Orkoids, notoriously lacking in personal protective-wear.

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u490/Revnesko/WH40K/Heroes%20of%20Armageddon/DSC01952_zpsgcafa0sf.jpg
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u490/Revnesko/WH40K/Heroes%20of%20Armageddon/DSC01953_zpsesxg7smg.jpg

As should be obvious, the Black Dragons do not utilize standard Battle-markings on their War-plate, further frustrating Imperial High Command in their efforts to integrate the Chapter into formalized formations. This is of course of no concern to the needs of the Ordo Xenos, perhaps even a boon?

+++ Resume Access: FileAA352 +++
+++ Access Denied/AuthorizationExpired +++
+++ Override 2655-V14 +++
+++OverrideCompliance+++

+++ Resuming Access +++

"... became apparent during my work. Such rivalries may arise over divergencies in ortodoxies between the Chapters, though I've often found the reasoning and history tediously petty. Not so with the Storm Lords and their primogenytors of the White Scars. Here, the rivalry stems from the purest, most noble aspiration; The desire to most succesfully  persecute the enemies of Humanity! Here exists, for once, a truly benign sense of rivalry, leading to the betterment of both parties. This, at least partially, accounts for the stellar performance... "

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u490/Revnesko/WH40K/Heroes%20of%20Armageddon/DSC01947_zpsg12lfdop.jpg

Subject identified as Brother Ettrakis, Storm Lords Chapter, 3rd. Arban, Brotherhood of the Shattered Spear.
Active throughout the War, The Storm Lords second Brotherhood amassed an impressive kill-count, as well as proving a valuably flexible asset compared to the unwieldy and inflexible formations of the Imperial Guard, and the stubborn determination of many other Chapters. While performing routine cleanse-missions in the Sct. Asperia Foothills, they redirected to support the 117th. Steel Legion, who had been ambushed by Orkoid infiltrators. Unprepared for the assault of the furious Astartes, the Orkoid force collapsed, and was thoroughly exterminated over the next 72 standard hours.

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u490/Revnesko/WH40K/Heroes%20of%20Armageddon/DSC01950_zpsni5d0rdo.jpg
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u490/Revnesko/WH40K/Heroes%20of%20Armageddon/DSC01949_zpslcbv1mvm.jpg

Foregoing the traditional unit-markings laid out in the Codex Astartes, Brother Ettrakis instead bears the Skull-emblem denoting active line-duty, as well as a numeral on the right knee-pad, denoting his affiliation with the 3rd. Squad or "Arban" in the inhereted vernacular of their primogenitors. Also of note is the veteran emblem, in the form of a gilded Crux Exemplar, denoting Brother Ettrakis' status as a veteran of the Brotherhood.

+++ End Transmission +++

So, first up, Thanks DSS7 for the support!

As you may have guessed, this project chronicles my attempt to paint and appropriately base all 21 Chapters of the Adeptus Astartes, who participated in the Third War for Armageddon. My original entry to 40k coincided with the original worldwide campaign, and I spent hours poring over the huge Hive Tempestora Battlereport in the pages of White Dwarf. With all that nostalgia and an urge to try some new techniques and colours, I set about building the representatives of the Chapters involved. After a few false starts (some may remember that White Scar up there...), I've gotten into the groove of painting daily, utilizing the downtime of my paid paternity leave to the fullest :D

So stay tuned for various Marines in the coming weeks!

Hey all you other guys watch this guy, this guy is doing cool things. The modelling, painting and fluffing all strike me as FW-publication standard (see all that consistent Grimdarkilitudetm all over everything? Yep).

18 more like this? Oh my word yes.

+++ Transmission Received +++

+++ Astropath Terminus Duct: Ardossa IX +++
+++ /access +++
+++ Restricted Access: Vermillion +++
+++ Input Authorization +++
+++ Authorization: Inquis.xenos/ID: 2655-V14 +++
+++ Access Authorized: Query/Armageddon/Adpt.Astartes? +++
+++ Loading/ +++
+++ /RetrieveFileAA329 +++
+++ PendingAuthorization +++
+++ FileAccess +++
"... remarkable tenacity. All strategic cogitus suggested they would have withdrawn, given the circumstances. Throne only knows what keeps them from resigning to their fate.
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u490/Revnesko/WH40K/Heroes%20of%20Armageddon/DSC01957_zpscmmhplmk.jpghttp://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u490/Revnesko/WH40K/Heroes%20of%20Armageddon/DSC01960_zpske6p717y.jpg
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u490/Revnesko/WH40K/Heroes%20of%20Armageddon/DSC01959_zpsxts6tlav.jpg
Subject identified as Brother Djimon of the Celestial Lions, 2nd. Company, 6th. Pride
6th. Pride was deployed to Hive Helsreach alongside the majority of their brethren. Originally thought destroyed during the fighting around the Forum Mercantillius Mundus, when an Orkoid dropship crashed into the towering edifice, burying Orkoid and Astartes alike. The entire Hive Sector was declared Perdita, as Prometium-fires dangerously weakened the plasteel superstructures. It was several weeks before Brother Djimon emerged from the ashen ruin, seemingly unscathed and unhurt, only to find himself alone, the last Celestial Lion on Armageddon, following the departure of the decimated remains of the Chapter.
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u490/Revnesko/WH40K/Heroes%20of%20Armageddon/DSC01958_zpsm6ixfexl.jpg
Pict-capture showcasing the Chapter heraldry of a golden Lion, a mythological beast of Ancient Terra. Note campaign-marking on lower leg-plate denoting affiliation to the Fire Wastes Army Group North.

+++ End Transmission +++

Wow, thanks for the overwhelmingly positive response!

@DSS7: Thanks, it was another opportunity to practice white Power Armour. I'm expecting a rather lovely amount of Jetbikes and other FW-goodies for Heresy-Era White Scars any day now biggrin.png

@Brother Tyrax: I have been very inspired by yours and 1000Hyenas' tackling of the Angry Marines, so I hope I can do them justice!

@AlexCrute, kobrakei & Marshal Mattias: Heartwarming, like a Chastiser Incinerator Unit to the face laugh.png

+++ Initializing Reception +++
+++ Resume/FileAA317 +++
"We'd been sweepin' our quadrant, 12K out from the Dog-hole1, and we'd just Voxed the all-clear back to Comms, when Corp'ral Gadelis comes rushin' outta the thickets, an' his whole squad's apparently been ambushed. We figures he's got hisself lost an' spooked, bein' a Mordian city-boy an' all, but then we hears 'em comin', so we set up a firezone 'cross this clearin' 'cos we ain't runnin'. An' then we sees 'em, a huge mob of 'em, an' we knows we's done for, even with us bein' well hid an' all, they'll trip over us eventually, so we open up with evr'thing, to make it count, y'know? But that just gets 'em runnin', an' just as they's almost on top of us, they start droppin' like Virslugs2, fast, one after another, an' all we hears's is bolter-fire an' squealin' greenskins. Then these Space Marines, all in green come out from the undergrowth, finishin' off the last of the Orks, an' I tells you, we's all dropped our jaws. We's Catachans, sir, we s'posed to be the best at fightin' in the Green, but I swears we never did see these Marines, an' after the fact, I hears they's been waitin' for the Orks to Jump us, just to get a clear shot. Tha's cold, sir, damn cold."
- Testimony of Trooper Bradin, 35th. Catachan Jungle Fighters (the "Thornbacks"), 2nd. Company, 2nd. Platoon, 4th. Squad.
1: Localized slang for Cerbera Base, used primarily by troopers from the Catachan Regiments serving in the Equatorial Jungle.
2: The Virslug is a form of gastropod mollusc native to Catachan. Highly poisonous, it leaves slime-trails that emits highly toxic fumes, incapacitating most fauna, allowing the snail to dissolve prey at its leisure. Also known to drop itself onto living creatures from perches in trees.
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u490/Revnesko/WH40K/Heroes%20of%20Armageddon/DSC01964_zps4zjv7sgx.jpg
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u490/Revnesko/WH40K/Heroes%20of%20Armageddon/DSC01966_zps3xif70az.jpg
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u490/Revnesko/WH40K/Heroes%20of%20Armageddon/DSC01965_zpseuadlq33.jpg
Subject identified as Brother Itamar Teviel, Raptors Chapter, 4th. Company, 3rd. Squad.
The Raptors are noted for their approach to Chapter Colours, leaving it to other Chapters to boldly announce their presence, while the Raptors bide their time, striking unexpectedly with utmost force, a tactical approach exemplified by Brother Itamar. Serving in the Equatorial Jungles, Itamar and his brethren engaged in a concerted effort to disrupt the Orkoid war-effort, by waylaying the Xenos' formations at every turn, using traps, explosives, sniper-fire and deadly ambushes. A favourite tactic of the Raptors is to decimate the Orkoid leadership, leaving multiple warbands floundering in the jungles as Orkoids would suddenly find themselves leaderless, as their commanders preished to accurate Stalker-pattern boltgun-fire. Brother Itamar accrued an impressive 132 confirmed kills on Orkoid unit-commanders, and was part of the Raptor unit that destroyed Warboss Snaggit, delaying an impending assault on Cerbera Base for nearly two hundred days, as successive usurpers struggled to unite the remains of Snaggits warband.
+++ End Transmission +++
No love for the Celestial Lion? Siding with the Inquisition, I see msn-wink.gif

+++ initializing +++

+++ /Access:FileAA303 +++

+++ AuthorizationRevoked +++

+++ /AuthorizationOverride: ID-2655-V14 +++

+++ AccessGranted +++

"Yes, I served on board "His Will" at the onset of the 3rd. War. It was an honour to serve alongside Admiral Parol, a fine officer. I was on the bridge when he recieved the Exorcists. There were 5 of them, each a giant. Stirred the heart to see such fine examples of the Emperors' will made manifest. I stood with the Admiral as he discussed their role in halting the Xenos' teleportation-program. They stated their intention of storming the Hulk "Fist of ApOrkalypz", which was apparently instrumental in delivering Orkoid Warriors straight into the heart of Hive Acheron, reinforcing the Arch-Heretic Xenofile and Traitor Von Strabb. I must admit that I had my reservations, even the Adeptus Astartes must surely be hard pressed in engaging the Xenos in the hellish bowels of a Space Hulk. But still, they readily agreed, eagerly even. 56 standard hours later, and the report came that "Fist of ApOrkalypz" was breaking up in the upper atmosphere of Chosin. An astounding feat, to board an Ork Craft and emerge victorious is unfathomable, I lost three limbs when the Xenos attempted to return the favour on "His Will" later during the engagement, and that's why I'm in this Throne-Damned Medicae Facility while others are cleansing our stars of the greenskinned filth in the name of our Lord, The Emperor."

Testimony of Lieutenant-Commissar Seth Dreyvuss, previously Fleet-attache to Admiral Parol, now seconded to Dictator-class Cruiser "Indomitable Resolve".

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u490/Revnesko/WH40K/Heroes%20of%20Armageddon/DSC01961_zpsb1rakzm6.jpg

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u490/Revnesko/WH40K/Heroes%20of%20Armageddon/DSC01962_zpsoo8tayjf.jpg

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u490/Revnesko/WH40K/Heroes%20of%20Armageddon/DSC01963_zpssjocfa1k.jpg

Subject identified as Brother-Initiate Chelos, Exorcists Chapter, 8th. Company, 5th. Squad.

A veteran of three dozen major campaigns, Brother-Initiate Chelos is seen here leading his squad on one of the numerous boarding-actions, for which the Exorcists became rightly famed during the Third Armageddon War. Although nominally of the reserve, Chelos' company formed the vanguard of several assaults on Orkoid spacecraft, including disruptive strikes against both Roks and Hulks, a daunting prospect when one considers the usual numbers of Orkoid crew on even the smallest space-capable craft. Armed for close-quarter fighting, Chelos' power sword and bolt pistol is supplemented with an impressive array of Fragmentation Grenades and Melta-bombs, allowing for both breaching of bulkheads and other obstacles, as well as room-clearance, as fragmentation grenades are incredibly effective in the narrow confines of voidcraft.

+++ End Transmission +++

Oh my, very much appreciate your responses!

I'm loving the characters and stories. Great stuff. thumbsup.gif

Thanks, I always worry if my writing is up to snuff, as there's some highly talented people around here, writing terrific fiction...

Great thread. Loving that Celestial Lion

There needs to be more Celestial Lions on here smile.png

I agree, although this'll most likely be all from me.

Ah Armageddon also my introduction to 40k! Very nostalgic stuff to see this selection of chapters and I'm looking forward to seeing your Relictors and Legion of the Dammed!

I keep going back to that era of White Dwarfs, still have a ton of them, most in storage, but I cycle them out into the light occasionally when I need inspiration, and I remember a certain issue that spoke to me. Relictor is not too far down the list, but I'm stumped for LoTD at the moment, need to scrounge one/some for an agreeable price...

Yessss!!! I was wondering what you would do for the Celestial Lion, absolutely brilliant.

Thank you! I was trying to portray the indomitable perseverance of the Celestial Lions, even when they probably ought to back down :D

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely great job on the Exorcist. The gritty nature of that Chapter really suits your painting style, for some reason - hard to imagine those guys in a clean, factory-new, crisp 'eavy Metal style, I much prefer the war torn look your take provides.

I must confess however that I didn't come here to talk principally about your Armageddon project. I caught a few glimpses of your 30k Scars on the casual challenge thread and was very intrigued - do you have a thread dedicated to them somewhere and I just missed it?

Can't believe I have been missing this thread. Awesome work! So much character in each mini. My two favorites are the Celestial Lion and the White Scar so far.

Any chance you will do a Silver Skull.

Can't believe I have been missing this thread. Awesome work! So much character in each mini. My two favorites are the Celestial Lion and the White Scar so far.

Any chance you will do a Silver Skull.

Not just a chance, it's inevitable. Currently I'm hammering away at Heresy-era White Scars though, so this thread will be for the occasional diversion...

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely great job on the Exorcist. The gritty nature of that Chapter really suits your painting style, for some reason - hard to imagine those guys in a clean, factory-new, crisp 'eavy Metal style, I much prefer the war torn look your take provides.

I must confess however that I didn't come here to talk principally about your Armageddon project. I caught a few glimpses of your 30k Scars on the casual challenge thread and was very intrigued - do you have a thread dedicated to them somewhere and I just missed it?

My sincerest apologies Brother-Captain Arkhan, completely missed this post ´till today! The voyages of the Brotherhood of the Shattered Spear has begun in earnest, there's a link in my sig now! :D

• 3 weeks later...

These guys are super awesome! Love the story and the poses. That lion's pose is great! I would never have though to have a marine draw from the holstered pistol. The excorcist guy just looks so commanding and the red is awesome. 

Keep up the great work brother!

Archived