"Legion Recon Company" Rite of War

Caillum

http://i.imgur.com/WTDnnwE.gif

So I just went ahead and wrote them (FW) an email, asking for clarification about this particular RoW in the name of all the unbelievers (read: heretics).

Haven't spoken or mailed with them in a while, but in the past they always were pretty quick in getting back on things. We'll see.

Its pretty clear. It adds recon squads to the compulsory troop list(or whatever you want to call it) and doesn't not replace the normal troops that are there. If it did it would be like the AL ROW and say Recon squads must be taken as the compulsory troop choices. Instead it says you now have three with a recon squad having the be the 3rd choice. You are free to bring all three as recon if you want, by adding them to the compulsory list its a 4rth option that is available to you, but all three do not have to be recon.

Let's hope FW does a similar FAQ to GW, or at least updates their current one, as there are a number of issues that are very hotly debated right now: drop pods and immobile, recon company and compulsory troops, slow and purposeful and rites of war, the various tweaks in the FAQ that were not applied to books published afterwards, etc.

In what way do you mean "Clarify What is Compulsory or not"?

Because if its in a General Sense, No unit in LA:CAL is compulsory. You only have to fill Compulsory FoC Slots with Eligible Units (Ie non-Support Officer/Squads).

So if the RoW states that Recon Squads are Compulsory Selections then it means they must be used to fill the 2 Compulsory Troops Slots in the FoC. No More, No Less.

For Example:

Stone Gauntlet Rite Of War: Imperial Fists

• Compulsory Troops MUST be Breacher Squads, Phalanx Warders become non-compulsory.
What this means is that in any FoC where you have Compulsory Troops Selections (Standard AoD FoC [2 slots] ZM Defender [1 slot]) You must take Breacher Squads to fill those selections before taking any other eligible Troops Selection (Phalanx Warders, Tactical Squads, Templar Brethren [if Sigismund is present] or Terminators [if Dorn is Present]).

vs:

Hammer of Olympia Rite of War: Iron Warriors

• Must take an additional compulsory Troops Selection.
What this means is that in the event that you have Compulsory Troops as part of your FoC, you must take an additional one. Ie: AoD FoC: 2 Compulsory Troops + 1 from HoO. ZM Attacker FoC: No Compulsory Troops + 1 from HoO. ZM Defender FoC: 1 Compulsory Troops + 1 from HoO.

However, unlike the above where the Compulsory Selection must be filled by a Specific Squad, these can be filled by any eligible unit (Tactical Squads, Assault Squads, Breachers, Terminators [Erasmus Golg Warlord])

So, since the Wording for this RoW is as Follows Verbatim:

"Recon Company: Legion Recon Squads are compulsory Troops Choices in the Primary Detachment." Pg. 190 HH Book 6.

With the following in Limitations:

"The Force's Primary Detachment must include an additional Compulsory Troops choice, which must be filled by a Legion Recon Squad." Pg. 190 HH Book 6.

This means that, if you're using this RoW AS YOUR PRIMARY DETACHMENT You must take 3 Troops Choices (standard AoD FoC + 1) which must All be Legion Recon Squads.

If you're using this RoW AS AN ALLIED DETACHMENT You do not have an additional Compulsory Troops Choice however, you're singular compulsory Troops Selection (AoD Allied Detachment) May be a Tactical, Assault or Breacher Squad since Legion Recon Squads are not compulsory Selections.

Does this make everything clearer?

Thats actually makes the odd wording MAKE sense!

I rarely use multiple detachments but given they are likely to be smaller than the Primary it make perfect sense that they would need less models.

Thanks Slips! :-)

As I'm reviewing all these for the Battlescribe catalogues, I think I'm (unusually) a dissenting opinion.  

I believe that Legion Recon Company makes Reconnaissance Squads normal Troops choices, and additionally you must include one additional Troops choice which must be filled by a Reconnaissance squad.  Bottom line, one mandatory (compulsory) Reconnaissance squad.

My reasoning is simply that I think Forgeworld chose their words improperly.  I believe the intent was to state that "Legion Reconnaissance squads are available as compulsory troops choices in the Primary detachment," vice non-compulsory like normal (bolded added by me).  This is very much in keeping with the grammatical style of the Forgeworld writers, which is both distinct and often contains errors like this.  

Additionally (and I believe more convincingly), though there is some drama surrounding the word "must," I feel that is important.  I'm aware of the synonymous nature of must vs compulsory, however every other Rite of War with a similar clause contains the phrase "must be taken as compulsory Troops choices" whereas Recon Company does not.  (Stone Gauntlet is an exception, however it also still uses the phrases "must be" and "Compulsory troops choices."  Headhunter Leviathal is also kind of an exception, since it says "Must take Headhunter Kill Teams as their compulsory Troops choices" but that's so similar I hesitate to even bring it up.)

As always, you and your gaming group must decide.  I know where I stand on the issue, but I don't see it being much a problem for most people unless the opposing player decides that the player using Legion Recon Company should have three (or more or less depending on the Force Organization Chart in use) when he only brought one.  

This, every day.

:)

Isn't the implication in the rite of wars title - legion recon company? One recon squad and five non recon squads is not a recon company.

At the end of the day it's not entirely precise so everyone should play it as they see fit.

Edit: Just read the relevant ROW.

' when the Legion went to war en masse, it was often preceded by such a body, serving as pathfinders and scouts for the main force.'

To me that states intent as to what this company is primarily composed of...

Then the effects and limitations as described by slipstream and terminus previously.

Legion recon squads are compulsory troops choices in the primary detachment.

I read this as the compulsory two troop slots must be recon squads - its a recon company.

The forces primary detachment must include an additional compulsory troops choice which must be filled by a legion recon squad.

I read this as a third compulsory recon squad in the recon company which is dedicated to recon as stated in the title the short fluff and the sub title of the first of the effects, personally I don't think the intention of the rules could be any clearer but that's just my humble opinion as above play however you see fit with friends/clubs and family it's a rule set not a legal contract. In the end at a tournament someone else will make the call as to if it's 1 or 3 compulsory choices otherwise if you and your opponent agree why worry?

snip

So, since the Wording for this RoW is as Follows  Verbatim:

"Recon Company: Legion Recon Squads are compulsory Troops Choices in the Primary Detachment." Pg. 190 HH Book 6.

With the following in Limitations:

"The Force's Primary Detachment must include an additional Compulsory Troops choice, which must be filled by a Legion Recon Squad." Pg. 190 HH Book 6.

This means that, if you're using this RoW AS YOUR PRIMARY DETACHMENT You must take 3 Troops Choices (standard AoD FoC + 1) which must All be Legion Recon Squads.

If you're using this RoW AS AN ALLIED DETACHMENT You do not have an additional Compulsory Troops Choice however, you're singular compulsory Troops Selection (AoD Allied Detachment) May be a Tactical, Assault or Breacher Squad since Legion Recon Squads are not compulsory Selections.

Does this make everything clearer?

I don't see this interpretation.  Ignoring the additional Compulsory Troops choice, which seems to be clear, the wording is..." Legion Recon Squads are compulsory Troops Choices in the Primary Detachment" To me that means, either, Recon marines are a compulsory...Troops choice (i.e. when selecting troops they ALL must be Recon marines) or Recon marines are a compulsory troop...choice (i.e. when selecting the units to fill the compulsory troop slots, Recon marines are an option).  You seem to be suggesting that the "compulsory" applies to both, the fact Recon marines MUST be selected and that it only applies to the Troops slots that are 'compulsory'.  To get your meaning it would have to be "Recon Squads are compulsory, Compulsory Troop Choices".

Now which one of these is 'right', not sure.  The fact it again specifies that the additional compulsory troops slot must be filled by recon marines, makes me think that they are simply an extra option.  However, the factor the compulsory has a 'c' rather than 'C' makes me think all Troops must be Recon marines.

[Disclaimer: I don't have the book and I'm only going off what others have said on here]

Can we please stop with this endless cycle of arguments?  There is no such thing as a compulsory troop choice.  The core of the disagreement is that people assume there is a magical category of troops that are compulsory (as opposed to there just being troops, with a few having the Support rule), and FW doesn't make it easier by using inconsistent wording for Rites.  Until they clarify, you're going to have to clear it with your opponent.

Archived