Crimson King

HaSY

And even the SUPER DEAD can end up being cloned by Fabius, like Ferrus and Horus.

But let's look at things with Atharva:

The Outcast Dead was set well after the dropsite massacre for the most part, and the razing of Prospero had taken place iirc. Atharva knew from Magnus what's up with Zulane. There was ample time for Magnus to contact him between A Thousand Sons' end  and TOD's events.

The Crimson King will likely kick in not long after they retreat to the Planet of Sorcerers, and span a longer timeframe beyond, whether in novel time or warp shenanigans. We know Magnus was present at the Dropsite Massacre in psychic form, talking to the traitors and Lorgar specifically. We also know he was observing, and wanted to enlighten Ahriman, who is at the time researching the mutations and ways to stop them.

I'd also like to point out that another piece of the TOD "timeline troubles" in regards to Magnus breaching the palace was revealed recently in Ghosts Speak Not by James Swallow: Sor Talgron's business at Terra in The Purge by Anthony Reynolds played a big part in weakening the Palace's wards. Magnus got in, and the psychic shockwave came out around 2 years later (as revealed in Wolf Hunt, which was not conceived to cover up a mistake as people seem to believe, but planned to release far sooner than it did) after Talgron's plan went into effect. He had also placed agents on Halley's comet, which is dealt with in Templar by John French.

So, yes, I'd wager that The Crimson King will be less about the most recent bang in the story and more about Magnus and his Sons' exile and behind the scenes workings. But then, we already know that McNeill's going to write a sequel to it, so I expect a lot of setup.

GM stated when he was writing it that the main aspect of the book will be about Magnus and the way his psyche is breaking down (think of his cameo appearances in other novels since ATS) and the effect that has not just on himself but the Legion who have to confront the fact that perhaps their father is just as ignorant and lost as the rest of them. 

Very much looking forward to it, since Ahriman pre-rubric is a fascinating character

Everyone in this thread are totally correct. Nobody stays dead for long in HH. And that's why with each new resurrection and miracle the HH storyline suck even more. It was amazing with first 6 books - deaths and despair. But now - it's miracles and resurrections all the way. At least 'Pharos' has moved in the right direction furious.gif

Can anyone remind me who Atharva was? I remember nothing about him.

He was the Thousand Son member of the Crusader Host, seen in The Outcast Dead. He enabled the break-out of the group, including grabbing Kai Zulane.

He was killed by Rogal Dorn at the end of the novel.

Personally, I found him a bit of a mary sue/creator's pet, too powerful and widely-versed just because.

I actually had a question about Atharva. During his fight with the assassin (culexus) what did he exactly he do to sever his connection to the warp? I was little confused but it seemed like it worked. In regards to your spoiler...was sort of an undignified end. No one is mary sue like Sharrowkyn

• 2 months later...

A reliable source has informed that there is both good news and bad news:

Bad news:

Crimson King is not likely to be released in 2016. 2017 is likely.

Good news:

The Magnus novella will come out this year.

Makes me wonder if the novella will be counted as one of the 6 new releases that we would get this year ( outside of Pharos, Path of heaven, Angels of Caliban, Praetorian of Dorn and Master of Mankind). There would be 6 reprints as well, and we know which ones those are.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So what is going on with The Crimson King now? The plot of Magnus the Red, the 3rd Primarch book out April 2017 is Magnus and Perturabo paling around. Meaning the Atharva quote is probably from that rather than the Crimson King, with the book taking place before he goes to Terra. That would also explain the 'it's not a flashback' remark. Is the 'reliable source' getting some crossed wires as there now seem to be 2 books, both by McNeil, but only one with a set release date? 

Which is something you can judge after one entry, I assume. Never mind that these seem to be key events from the background that the HH never got into or would have needed to go too far back. It is a spinoff series, and people wanted these Primarch spotlights and crusade era relationship drama for ages.

I'm really looking forward to this... heck anything new from McNeill is a good thing considering his new career move and to find out that Perturabo is present too is awesome! Despite being on the wrong side of the Heresy war his character really grew on me through Angel Exterminatus. Hopefully we get some insights into his mindset before everything goes to hell, quite literally lol biggrin.png

Crimson King is being edited now  - would be released in early 2017. 

How solid is this information? Where does it come from? My understanding is that the book is not finished at all.

So what is going on with The Crimson King now? The plot of Magnus the Red, the 3rd Primarch book out April 2017 is Magnus and Perturabo paling around. Meaning the Atharva quote is probably from that rather than the Crimson King, with the book taking place before he goes to Terra. That would also explain the 'it's not a flashback' remark. Is the 'reliable source' getting some crossed wires as there now seem to be 2 books, both by McNeil, but only one with a set release date? 

The Magnus novella that McNeill was talking about is probably the Magnus Primarchs Book which will be out in a few months.

The Crimson King is the other project and as far as we know that is still in process.

Which is something you can judge after one entry, I assume. Never mind that these seem to be key events from the background that the HH never got into or would have needed to go too far back. It is a spinoff series, and people wanted these Primarch spotlights and crusade era relationship drama for ages.

Guilliman book was horrible. Novel about nothing, boring and totally shouldn't have been the first novel in the new series

Archived