Thanks very much guys.

Right now to take advantage of the Imperial Marine I spent a bunch of money on more assault Squads and a Dev Squad so I can complete that formation with some flexibility in mind. (Not sure of the best build).

I hope to have those 10 Assault Marines up shortly. I just want them at good table top and take it from there. :)

Thank you again.

• 1 year later...

I did something new... Primaris in nature:

gallery_2760_13290_553.jpg

gallery_2760_13290_191604.jpg

Ooops.. .missing some pics. Have to find those. :smile.:

Also this:

gallery_2760_13290_227710.jpg

gallery_2760_13290_18493.jpg

gallery_2760_13290_183138.jpg

gallery_2760_13290_86040.jpg

Just posted a Batrep too if anyone is interested (vs Admech):

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/336907-prots-quick-batrep-ultramarines-vs-admech-2k-maelstrom/?p=4826198

Featuring... this scene:

gallery_2760_13290_118129.jpg

Edited by Prot

Your painting is just phenomenonal. What sort of hours do you put in each week?

Thanks for the great compliment!

Seriously I try to put in an hour or two every night... I use it to wind down after work in the evening. I am trying to do these guys as quick as possible while having a good look to them.

I strongly believe in getting armies done.... the days of spending hours and hours per dude is way behind me.

I do believe in doing squad batches at a time... It means at a mere hour or two at a time I actually see finished models on a near weekly basis. I really think that's the trick... give yourself a time limit, move on and enjoy your completed army!

Your regular UMs look incredible, but I am especially drawn to the Primaris. I really like the desaturated blue on them.

How did you paint them vs the regular UMs?

Thanks Honda... I'm glad you noticed the difference. It was a conscious effort to move away from the recipe I did for the previous Ultra army (the one sold to Miniwargaming) and when I started fresh I went with a 'Dark Imperium' feel... and less bright colour saturation. So good eye for spotting that difference. :)

I like this look a little better. I don't know if it's because it's got a slightly 'stormier' blue or just that it's fresh but I feel it fits the mood of my new Ultras!

The funny thing is I use the same base colours, and the final zenithal highlights do not get as colourful, and before I do the actual line edge highlighting, I hit the whole fig with a diluted Drakenhoff Night Shade!

The Night Shade brings it down a lot, and brings the bright areas down, and  leaves this nice 'colder' blue. And I simply finish that off with two levels of edge highlighting.

Glad you like it. :tu:

I completely agree with the idea that you need to get stuff done. It's bad for moral to have several units unpainted for long periods at a time. It saps your resolve.

Personally I have been taking on this attitude as well. Seeing such masterpieces as your own armies helps motivate me to get an army complete.

Dude, your line troops are painted to a standard that would be reserved for my army's centerpiece.

You may not think it's that special, but when your basic dudes look that good it puts you in the top 10% of people out there. Easily.

Dude, your line troops are painted to a standard that would be reserved for my army's centerpiece.

You may not think it's that special, but when your basic dudes look that good it puts you in the top 10% of people out there. Easily.

As stated here and by others, it's all relative...

@Prot - You have probably painted a lot over the years so your "Standard" now is way above most other peoples (this is a compliment not a crit)

it's nice to see your armies and they serve as inspiration that with time and effort we too can be this good :thumbsup: 

great work, Thanks

Cheers, Mithril 

• 1 month later...

Hi again guys.

I have been super busy with work (Projects) and in my spare time I tried to participate in the Konor Campaign as much as I could. Every week I painted units, and had them recorded at the store and played multiple games including the mega battles (which I never won one... Xenos and Chaos (very little Chaos) were always well organized, more experienced players, stronger units overall....) But I also played a lot of 1v1 games. I made some batreps of t hose in my Ultra thread (located in my sig).

I have been thinking of starting something very different but the lack of Chaos has me tempted to do some finishes on my Thousand Sons or re-do my red Corsairs, and then I have also been playing Ad Mech lately! (Very different.)

Anyway this Konor campaign lead to a lot of finished Primaris units for me:

gallery_2760_13290_119880.jpg

gallery_2760_13290_95390.jpg

gallery_2760_13290_119773.jpg

gallery_2760_13290_27782.jpg

Some additional shots of these models can be found in my Ultra thread on this page: Prot's Ultra thread: Beyond Indomitus.

Although I felt a bit of burnout, I completed as much as I could in a short time span. Those of you that check out my stuff regularly know I put a premium on FINISHED armies. I thoroughly enjoy all aspects of 40k, the books, the models, painting, and playing lots of games. It's always my goal to get stuff on the table and try not to spend too much time on any one unit.

The end of Konor hit and my burn out also hit me on Space Marine! (not to mention my wallet!)

Thanks for looking.

At the end of the campaign there was paint competition for any units made/used for the Konor Campaign.

I felt this was a good time to get it all together and see how it looked at the store on display:

gallery_2760_13290_227128.jpg

gallery_2760_13290_48487.jpg

I'm really hoping the 'gold' award helps me get some good coin for it on eBay. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Thanks a lot guys.

Just working on some Ad Mech now but will try to finish my Reivers next.

And yes... you guys definitely know something I didn't going into that decal. It was probably 30+ minutes of tweaking, snipping, re-adjusting. I did an exterior decal too, I just could not get it right. The interior cloak decal was ridiculous. I'll never do that again on a cloak that has so many waves in it. I used a lot of decal set, and patience on that one. This guy is going to be in a LOT of lists! lol

On a serious note... I love the head sculpt and took a lot of time on painting it. It's one of my favorite HQ head sculpts they've done in a long time. Thanks so much for checking him out.