Glad to see you back again, brother. And with a good-looking Templar to boot. Keep it up. :thumbsup:

Gratzie, bro. I've got more Templar to build, but motivation is definitely on the ebb right now with everything being announced about 8e and I'd rather wait until I'm feeling inspired to build more than force it, as I've definitely noticed a difference in quality of my builds when I really want to build a particular model versus when I'm not really feeling it.

Give that guy a crusade fleet!

Also, any chance of a black helm with a white cross painted on it?

Perhaps... I've, on the whole, kept white out of my color palette on this force mostly because I can't be arsed to paint white in large quantities with this army - it's not that I can't paint it, but I just don't like to, particularly, and the scheme of my army was created with that in mine. That being said, I would like to set apart the Templar a bit more, and perhaps using a bit of white would work for that. I am a really big fan of the crosses on the faceplate, so it'll definitely be something to consider. Alternatively, a yellow cross on a black helm might work well... huh. I'll have to think about it.

Great looking Templar! Looking forward to the fluff and more models!

T'anks, mate. Appreciate it.

The Templar looks very menacing! I love the use of the BA head! :smile.:

Thanks, man. Actually got the idea off of something I saw on Instagram. I'm absolutely in love with these BA heads, honestly. They're probably one of my favorite upgrades from FW's range.

They're shaping up nicely. I especially like the Siege Breaker, but you already know that! 

I look forward to the tank being done too. 

Thanks, bud. Looking forward to painting the tank myself once I get my motivation back up.

I am always envious of black templars and their sweet Maltese cross helms. Always thought it would be cool for leaders and veterans.

Maybe a yellow one could be incorporated into a campaign badge? Did the VII do that back in the GC/HH era?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

War-wrought

A Prelude to the Truth of the Burden of Duty

The Legiones Astartes, the Angels of Death, the Twenty Hosts.

Created to be the ultimate soldiers, the ultimate warriors, forging man and monster into a unique and ferocious being.

We are hard to break. But it is possible.

So, what happens when you break an Astartes?

What happens when you strip the man from the monster?

No matter from which bloodline we hail, deep down, the monster beating in our twin hearts remains the same:

Brutal. Pitiless. Uncaring.

Unstoppable.

gallery_78067_12186_48382.png

[pict-capture: the Pugnus Imperialis, principle icon of the VII Legion, representing their place as the Emperor's dutiful and unfailing fist of wrath against his enemies. Used nearly universally among the Legion, in several different variations.]

Each Legion has its own name for these creatures, these warriors who are no longer truly men.

The Iron Tenth names their failures Immortals, who may not die before redemption.

The angelic Ninth weep in sorrow for their Lamented, those bound to the Company of Death who may no longer know of the beauty outside battle.

The Rout – those who most truly carry the beast within – refuse to speak of their fallen brothers, taken by the Wolf of Fenris preying in their hearts.

And yet, always, something remains of the soul of a Legion. There is always that one thing that makes us what we are, without which are nothing. Even the basest among us know this.

The Tenth’s Immortals still fight with their cold fury. The Lamented with their burning passion. The animalist hunger of the Rout’s beasts.

Ours still fight with duty.

gallery_78067_12186_134375.png

[pict-capture: an example of the types of crude augmetics Astartes of all Legions were forced to utilize throughout the Heresy, when time was spent and resources low. Such were especially common among the close range engagement veterans <cross-ref. VII Legion Zone Mortalis operations> of the VII Legion.]

It is hard to break a Legionnaire. It is harder still to break an Imperial Fist. We of the Seventh are trained with hearts of stone and wills of iron. We do not break where others would.

But even still, it is possible.

When a man’s brothers die, a part of him dies with them. That is the inevitability of war. Brotherhood is the strongest bond we know, and when it’s broken, as it always is, it does not tear away cleanly. Even the stoniest of hearts is chipped and worn away by the death of brothers.

gallery_78067_12186_61047.png

[pict-capture: Umbra-pattern boltgun, in the Ferrox subtype/modification. Veterans across the Legiones Astartes prized the Umbra Ferrox for its increased clip size and onboard targeting systems added to the common Umbra pattern weapon.]

Mar a stone enough and it shatters. See enough brothers die, and the strongest man dies with them. There’s no helping it. It will happen. It may take fifty, or a hundred, or a thousand, but it will.

At that instant, when we reach that breaking point, the man is gone. The monster is all that remains. Something new is made of Dorn’s sons then. Something dreadful. Something that knows nothing but war and pain and hate and duty.

It is a thing defined by death.

Born of blood and battle.

War-wrought.

gallery_78067_12186_9944.png

[pict-capture: variant pattern of the Mk III Iron helm, featuring heavy reinforcement and breathing apparatus. This particular subtype was commonly seen on those who had sustained serious injury but were not yet so wounded to be relegated to a Dreadnought's sarcophagus.]

Edited by Soldier of Dorn

The War Wrought is awesome. Would be perfect for a pride list from the sounds of it.

I love the shadowsword bare bones by the way. Was just thinking of sourcing one myself. Glad to know they look hawt. And that templar... So beautiful, the mk4 helmet from that kit would look perfect for your War Wrought. Faceless swordsman.

• 4 months later...

med_gallery_78067_12186_883005.png

Well, then. It's been a while, and now it's time to come back to the Seventh. Took a bit of a break from the hobby and the forum over the summer, to be quite honest, and haven't really worked on my Fists since then. I've started another project, but as much as I've enjoyed what I've done on the Claws so far, and what I have in the pipeline for them, the Fists are my army. They're something I will always eventually come back to, at the end of the day. Not so much the burden of duty as it is a burden of love, cause I do love this Legion. But that's not a ramble I'll start here.

Anyways, I have meager offerings so far, but what there are I'm quite proud of. An assault Centurion/Praetor, here. Not quite solidified his character in my mind, but I do believe I will be slightly restructuring the 284th Battalion on his account. Still will keep a lot of old plans, but a few things will be... shifting.

In any regards, as I was remiss in responding back... jeez, about four months ago, the Warwrought are, as Vairocanum guessed, somewhat similar to Lone Wolves/Death Company, at least conceptually. They're the men of the VII Legion that have been consumed and reforged by war (hence the name) that they are reduced to nothing but the very core of their Legion -- duty, the calling to service, fulfillment of their mission at any cost -- but at the same time, bitter and hateful and vengeful for their fallen brothers. The plan is to build them roughly into a Pride of the Legion list (as jimbo extrapolated,) with some Veterans, Terminators, and a Dreadnought, under the leadership of a Voted-Commander (the idea being that they are a relatively ad-hoc formation due to their nature, so they elect a commander from among their number somewhat informally.) It should be good, but although I've got most of their bits laid out, I haven't really assembled anything for them yet. I have a very clear mental image of how I want them to be, though, so now that I've kinda balanced things out again in my own life, those should be getting done soon.

That's pretty much my piece, in all honesty. Can't really think of much else I have to say. Been a while, though, and glad to be back to the VII. As always, thanks for the comments, criticism, and support. It is invaluable to me.

The centurion/praetor looks good! Interested in seeing more of your work for Dorn.

Heh, funny you should say that... and thanks. :smile.:

Currently, there's a challenge of sorts trending on Instagram -- the #hobbystreak hashtag. Basically, the idea put forth is that every day, you spend at least 30 minutes on the hobby, documenting it each day, and see how long you go without breaking your streak. I decided it was worth a try last night, and the character I posted above was my contribution then. Today, I decided to actually start working on my mini that I vowed for the Imperial Fists Expansion back at the end of September, since I'd sorta been putting that off for a while. This is actually not a mini I've posted in this thread before, and the painting is at a very early and rough stage, but it's progress, and progress is good. I really haven't been great about getting my army actually painted, so the hope is to utilize this challenge to get at least a couple thousand points to the stage where I can actually field them with some amount of pride. Ironically, this is also the first of my Warwrought veterans, too: their commander, Kazuhira. Like I said, it's a very rough stage, but following some more washes and filters, and weathering, he should look pretty good. Might also just be that I haven't painted any Fists in months and I'm rusty. I dunno. We'll see how this one turns out, I guess. :biggrin.:

gallery_78067_12186_86405.png

I will not lie, I felt a sting when I typed 'Dorn' * aww there it is again. Imperial fists were my second fluff army but they couldn't hold a candle to anything you've got.

That's challenge sounds fun! I hope you keep up with it so we can see more of your labors, bud! I am really digging that marine. I should have picked up that mini ages ago because no matter how someone converts him he looks good, and he looks awesome in that yellow.

Thanks, lads. Appreciate the comments.

Vairo: Yeah, as I've mentioned, I'm quite enjoying the Astral Claws, but to misquote a certain First Captain of another Legion: 'I am a son of the Throneworld, and Seventh Legion to my core." I am quite happy with how the Captain came out and am looking forward to painting him, but the Imperial Fists Expansion is happening at the moment, and I would like to vow him if I can, so need to finish my outstanding vow first. Regards the Warwrought, I'm going to try and get a couple of their number built during my sessions this week, and I realize that I never actually posted a full image of the one I built previously in this thread. I'd also like to write up some more fluff with that, so we'll see how that goes.

hush: Ah, you flatter me! In my own honest opinion, everything I've done so far is nothing compared to the likes of the people we all aspire to. JackDaw, Tyrannicide, Hyena, Noctus, Rohr, Heinrich... I could enumerate them all but that might take a while. :biggrin.: Considering your own skills, there's no doubt in my mind that any IF force you did would absolutely blow my own lads out of the water. And yeah, so far the challenge has been quite enjoyable. I've gotten a nice bit of hobby work done because of it, and looking forward to what I'm hoping to accomplish in the coming days.

Phedias: Thanks, brother. Looking back on the Templar, as much as I like some of the touches that I gave it, I think I can do something better. I've got an image of something more ritualistic and almost on the level of religious ostentation for the Templars, even in 30k -- almost calling back to John Blanche's famous illustration of the Black Templars on the cover of the 3rd Edition rules. I want them to stand out from my main force of Imperial Fists -- they are detached from another formation, the First Company, and thusly they are something different, a brotherhood unto their own. This rift is something I want to echo slightly with their aesthetics, also, this "degree of seperation" from the utilitarian philosophies I've tried to convey with my models so far.

Obs: A little bit of irony, considering what my initial inspiration for Kazuhira's miniature was. As the wheel turns, I suppose! Thank you though, brother.

Right, as I mentioned, I'm trying out a daily challenge over on Instagram, and so, in the wee hours of this morning (which technically I'm counting as today,) when I was preparing myself for my night's rest, I found myself glancing across the room at a Leviathan Dreadnought I've had for a little while. Fast forward in time a bit, and I found myself coming out of a bit of a haze facing a (mostly) built Leviathan. Gorgeous model to build -- went together like a dream (and considering when it was accomplished, I suppose the comparison is rather apt.) Not quite done, as I mentioned. Still need to build up the siege claw arm and add some decorative bits to him. But man, I am falling in love with this miniature. Might be tempted to order a couple more.

med_gallery_78067_12186_138125.jpg

(The mold lines on his carapace have since been spotted and fixed, by the by. Also need to figure out where his base got to, as I don't believe I have any extras in the appropriate size.)

Oh, as an addendum, there's a kitbash/conversion idea I wanted to mention, an idea that has been gestating in the back of my (slightly insane) mind since the Necromunda (specifically the Goliath) miniatures were revealed. Seeing as Necromunda is, at least in the 41st millennium, an Imperial Fists recruiting world (that Extermination shows was liberated during the Great Crusade,) and considering what we're shown by the Consus Drift Exemplary Battle in Extermination: that recruits from a single world are sometimes grouped into discreet units and formations and their culture is allowed to be preserved to allow for tactical advantage... well, I don't want to spoil too much, but it should be interesting.

Barring a few minor details, the Leviathan Dreadnought is finished. His base seems to have completely eloped, so I've stuck him to a temporary "standard Dreadnought" base for the time being. Don't think I'll add too much extra detail, in all honesty. I thought a few icons and things might look good on him, but after looking at the completed model I think the clean look might be best. Posing is a tad iffy, in my opinion, but it's not too bad, all things considered, and the fixes I have in mind would be slightly difficult now.

med_gallery_78067_12186_140999.jpg

Just about finished Kazuhira today. Just a few touch ups to do and need to finish the basing, and he'll be done. I'll take more formal pictures when he's finished, but my skills are definitely a bit rusty (not that I was the best painter to begin with :sweat:). Hopefully going to start painting a bit more nowadays, and regain those lost skills. Not much else to say, to be quite honest. I do feel that my scheme needs more range, though, so I'll probably be using a few more accent colors in my army from here on out.

med_gallery_78067_12186_88712.jpg

[+++inload+++]

"Celer, silens, mortalis."

med_gallery_78067_12186_30248.jpg

[pict capture: <SCRAPSHUNTERRORABORT> data lost, no information available]

[+++inload ends+++]

+++

Looks good Brother! Honestly wouldn't add to many more accent colors, the muted palate works well for you I think!

Thanks brother. When I said I wanted to use more accent colors, it was probably a poor choice of phrasing. I was more thinking of being more liberal with the ones I've already established in my scheme and a bit more use of metallics. Less a change in scheme itself and more a gentle shift in color proportions. Shouldn't be much of a change in the results, but it is something I will be consciously thinking about.

Something that has slightly been bothering me is the nature of these short, frequent updates. They seem somewhat... thoughtless and forced, and slightly lacking in actual content. While I do enjoy posting stuff nearly as soon as I finish it, I think the better route might be to hold stuff in reserve and build up a few days worth of stuff so I can post several miniatures, along with fluff and other thoughts all at once. Perhaps biweekly. Not too sure, to be quite honest. In any regard, I'm going to try that with my next update, holding out for several days and then posting. Should result in a better plog by its account, or at least I hope.

[+++inload+++]

"Celer, silens, mortalis."

med_gallery_78067_12186_30248.jpg

[pict capture: <SCRAPSHUNTERRORABORT> data lost, no information available]

[+++inload ends+++]

+++

Looks good Brother! Honestly wouldn't add to many more accent colors, the muted palate works well for you I think!

Thanks brother. When I said I wanted to use more accent colors, it was probably a poor choice of phrasing. I was more thinking of being more liberal with the ones I've already established in my scheme and a bit more use of metallics. Less a change in scheme itself and more a gentle shift in color proportions. Shouldn't be much of a change in the results, but it is something I will be consciously thinking about.

Something that has slightly been bothering me is the nature of these short, frequent updates. They seem somewhat... thoughtless and forced, and slightly lacking in actual content. While I do enjoy posting stuff nearly as soon as I finish it, I think the better route might be to hold stuff in reserve and build up a few days worth of stuff so I can post several miniatures, along with fluff and other thoughts all at once. Perhaps biweekly. Not too sure, to be quite honest. In any regard, I'm going to try that with my next update, holding out for several days and then posting. Should result in a better plog by its account, or at least I hope.

Really liking the newest update my man, clever use of the imperial space marine's rifle. On accents, I get what you mean now! My bad!

In regards to updates, I think regular updates gets a larger following, and people can see how your build process works. Of course, I almost exclusively post finished models, so I may not be the best person to ask in regards to that. Whether you keep regular updates or go bi-weekly, I'll still look forward to what you put out!

[+++inload begins+++]

gallery_78067_11287_69024.png

[pict-capture: Graffiti of Holy Terra, found soon after the end of the Siege, early M31. Image honors the VII Legion, the defenders of Terra, in the style of ancient Nihonese artworks.]

"Semel percutere, et sic quidam nex est"

med_gallery_78067_12186_150246.jpg

[pict-capture: Ranger Sergeant Adem, I Ranger, 284 Storm Battalion, VII Legion]

med_gallery_78067_12186_83841.jpg

[pict-capture: Ranger Haeth, I Ranger, 284 Storm Battalion, VII Legion]

med_gallery_78067_12186_54555.jpg

[pict-capture: Adem and Haeth of I Ranger, 284 Storm Battalion. In this image, and both previous images, these two Astartes are armed with archaotech weapons, so-called "disintegrator" sniper rifles. The use of such weapons was proscribed during the Great Crusade under the seal of the Imperial Household, even to the Destroyer Cadres of the Legions, and sealed within the vaults of the Imperial Palace as a consequence of their destructive capability, but like so many other laws, this appears to have been ignored in the last days of the desperate war between the stars, when Horus marched on Terra.]

284-BTN ORDER OF WAR

Within the order of war of the 284 Storm Battalion, XXI Regiment, VII Legion, there existed several sub-formations in addition to the several companies that made up its core, the subject of at least one of these we have touched on before [cross-ref: Wallbreakers.] Another one of such units were the Rangers - the elite light infantry unit of the Battalion. Named for an ancient order of soldiers of Nord Meric, they marked a great contrast from the imagery of the VII Legion conjured up by the remembrancers and propagandists of the Great Crusade - that of a stolid and heavy juggernaut of war, unstoppable and unflinching as much literally as metaphorically, imagery exemplified by the strength of the Legion's Terminator cohorts and the prevalence of Breacher shieldwall units within their ranks. As with any Legion, though, they were masters of all forms of war, and nowhere was this more true than with units such as the 284-BTN Rangers, though units such as the 59th Company Assault or the 991st Bike Cavalry also reflect the broad abilities of the Space Marine Legions within the VII.

Outfitted similarly to Legion Reconnaissance divisions, the Rangers were scouts, frontiersmen, and skirmishers, the best of what there was to be had within the 284 Storm Battalion in that regard. They were invaluable warriors to be had during the vicious fighting of the Siege of Terra, and they accounted for numerous raids and loss of enemy resources and war materiel during that battle. They took a heavy price from the enemy in those months of battle, but when the sun finally broke through the clouds created by artillery, to shine upon the face of Terra once more, not a single Ranger would be alive to see it, their bodies lying broken in the earthen ash.

+++

I think Kazuhira's base has too much mud on it but otherwise, good work. :thumbsup:

Alas, such is not an uncommon complaint with my models. I'll try to start exercising a little bit of restraint from here on out, though. :wink:

Really liking the newest update my man, clever use of the imperial space marine's rifle. On accents, I get what you mean now! My bad!

In regards to updates, I think regular updates gets a larger following, and people can see how your build process works. Of course, I almost exclusively post finished models, so I may not be the best person to ask in regards to that. Whether you keep regular updates or go bi-weekly, I'll still look forward to what you put out!

Thanks man! Yeah, I see where you're coming from. I'll keep on keeping on for the time being then, or at the very least, close out this week. :thumbsup:

Glad you like the model from yesterday. I'm quite fond of him myself, so I've made him a friend. :D Planning on making a complete squad of these bad boys eventually and running them either as Marksmen Veterans or a Recon squad with sniper rifles, depending on how I feel at the time, but alas, I'm out of having the precise bit I need for them for the time being. I have my ways of getting a few more, but it'll be a bit before I can get them. Despite the fact that they'll all pretty much have the same arm positioning, I believe I can make them look distinct enough with other parts of the pose to have them look somewhat individual. If not... I've got at least a couple ideas I can try to work with.

Thanks as always for the support, mates!