http://i.imgur.com/uEuKXk5.png?2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S24hgiisQY&feature=player_embedded

Datafile unlocked…

Memory core opened…

Sequence begins…

I do not understand.

My brother captains often speak of glory, of honour, of becoming legends in their time. Sigismund and his Templar are the epitome of this, rushing into combat without worry or care. They have zeal, and that is enough for them. But it does not satisfy me.

My father taught us many things, but above all, he taught us duty. Duty to our brothers. Duty to him. Duty to the Emperor. Duty to our Imperium. We are the foundation upon which the Imperium is built. We carry it upon our shoulders every single day. That is why we crusade. That is why we stand, when all others are dust.

My brothers, my father. They are heroes. They are legends already, and they will be remembered throughout the annals of history. I am not. I simply do what is needed, and that is enough. It always shall be.

I am a soldier among heroes, and I understand my burden. It has been mine since I first stepped foot in the Temple of Oaths aboard the Phalanx so many years ago. It has been renewed with every breath I take, every beat of my heart within my chest. It ceases only when I do, bloody and broken in the golden yellow of my Legion.

It is the burden of duty.

- Memoirs, by Heinrich Eilings,
Shield-Commandant, 284th Storm Battalion,
XXI Regiment,. VII Legion Astartes

Sequence ends…

Memory core closed…

Datafile locked...

VII Legion Organization

CCLXXXIV Storm Battalion, XXI Regiment, VII Legion

Within the Legiones Astartes there existed many variant lesser known formations and structures – the Armatures of the impeccable Third, the Steel Phalanges of the Iron Hands, the Dragoons of the early IV legion – that endured from the early days of the Legions. Significantly better known were the designate Battalions of the Imperial Fists: those of the Shield, the Lance, the Sword and the Storm.

By far the most common of the battalion structures, the Storm Battalions were shock infantry formations, with a marked disposition for zone mortalis and urban warfare, with an abundance of squads configured as standard Tactical (Line) and Breacher units, representing a propensity for close order firefight units over other more specialized close-combat units. A standard structure for the Storm Battalion was a command group overseeing 3 Line Companies, roughly equitable to the standard Legion Company outlined in the Principia Belicosa, with further units relegated to a number of Auxiliary Detachments. The minutiae of the organization, as in many Legions, was relegated to the commander’s preference, and greatly varied from Battalion to Battalion, making it utterly difficult to pin down specific squad numbers for each detachment.

The 284th Storm Battalion simply existed as one of many, but one whose particular ideals, exercised into tactical decision, fell close to the original structure. Within the battalion, it was typically viewed as foolhardy to go into battle with anything less than a boltgun, and whilst it was expected that each trooper of the Line companies would carry with them a sidearm and a combat blade for close quarter brawls, a company was expected to be universally equipped with the bolter as their primary weapon, with the exception of those assigned to specialized Support units and issued an alternative firearm instead.

Peculiar to the 284th Storm Battalion’s rhetoric was the reference of individual Astartes as ‘soldiers,’ or often alternatively as ‘trooper.’ Whilst it is true that most Legions and their ideologies regarded the individual as lesser than the whole, it is rare that an Astartes would be referred to as a ‘soldier,’ rather than the more common ‘warrior’ or some variation thereof. The 284th placed a special emphasis on duty, and promoted this ideal as a greater purpose than anything else: glory, honor, or recognition. Duty to their Primarch, the Emperor, and most especially the Imperium was more important than any other motivation a trooper of the battalion might have, and it was frequently referred to as ‘the burden’ in many personal journals and memoirs recovered after the Siege of Terra. They prized fulfillment of their tasking over all else to a higher degree than most Astartes, and as such, suffered a high rate of casualties due to their refusal to abandon any incomplete mission, no matter how minor an impact on the war effort as a whole it might have.

The precise structure of the Battalion reflected many of the standards of the Storm Battalions – Shield Commandant Heinrich Eilings and his Command Staff led, while the trinity of line companies formed the spine of the Battalion – each comprising approximately 120 Marines split among Veterans and Marines of the Line, while auxiliary detachments such as the Wallbreaker Terminator Elite and the Hunter Divisions formed its beating, unbreaking heart.

By the time of the Siege of Terra the 284th was equipped with large stocks of Mk IV ‘Maximus’ pattern armor. This power armor pattern favored by the battalion for its advanced sensor suite was supplemented by other, older patterns and several prototype armor marks retrieved from Martian forges during the intense fighting there. Optimization and mixed armor types were extremely common, especially among the troopers of the Line companies, who often suffered higher than average damaged wargear during engagements as a result of the battalion’s preferred methods of warfare. It is these same tactical preferences for forlorn hopes and attrition warfare that wore away at the formation throughout the Siege and led to the ultimate termination of the 284th Storm Battalion as a functional fighting unit.

http://i.imgur.com/OY4eT9k.jpg?1http://i.imgur.com/IcBn2ZR.jpg?1

[Pict-capture ZX/5793-37-00] Trooper Brannagh, I Grenadier, Company A (Line)

http://i.imgur.com/iQs1TBu.jpg?1http://i.imgur.com/2vyh5Nz.jpg?1

[Pict-capture ZX/5793-37-01] Trooper Thawne, I Grenadier, Company A (Line)

http://i.imgur.com/1TUf0hL.jpg?1http://i.imgur.com/Xkcf5ST.jpg?1

[Pict-capture ZX/5793-37-02] Trooper Kane, I Grenadier, Company A (Line)

http://i.imgur.com/g5IenY2.jpg?1http://i.imgur.com/PwuVBP4.jpg?1

[Pict-capture ZX/5793-37-03] Trooper Lukas, I Grenadier, Company A (Line)

http://i.imgur.com/gM5m9km.jpg?1http://i.imgur.com/fu4y0HR.jpg?1

[Pict-capture ZX/5793-37-04] Master Sergeant Arno Slade, I Grenadier, Company A (Line)

Edited by Soldier of Dorn
Tags edited

GET HYPE BOYS WE GOT ANOTHER VII GUY OVER HERE D:

Welcome to the mighty VII

Thanks, brothers. It feels like it was the Legion I was always meant to play.

Holy crap, what in intro! Looking forward to this Mr. The Psycho. Followed.

Ah, you make me blush. I'm only trying to emulate the legions of really good writers on this forum. A lot of the 284th Storm Battalion's background is inspired by this post by Darell, and the work done by the guys over at In Memoriam (well, when I say inspired, I mean subconsciously plagiarized :wink: ) Hyaenidae's highly militarized portrayal of his XIV Dragoon specifically has been a huge influence on the imagery of the 284th I have in my head, and that's who most of the credit should go to. To quote Sir Isaac Newton, "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Hyena, Marshal Rohr, and Tyrannicide are far better writers than I, and it's largely because of them I've started this project.

I read the Title and had to post this before actually reading:

http://i.imgur.com/JQB7k.gif

So, I'm guessing you like it then? :wink:

Thanks for the comments everyone. This has been in the works for about a year now, to varying degrees, and now I'm excited to finally be building this army. I'll post more of my thoughts on the 284th's background later when I can actually not totally worn out and can actually think straight.

Edited by The Psycho

Ah, you make me blush. I'm only trying to emulate the legions of really good writers on this forum. A lot of the 284th Storm Battalion's background is inspired by this post by Darren, and the work done by the guys over at In Memoriam (well, when I say inspired, I mean subconsciously plagiarized :wink: ) Hyaenidae's highly militarized portrayal of his XIV Dragoon specifically has been a huge influence on the imagery of the 284th I have in my head, and that's who most of the credit should go to. To quote Sir Isaac Newton, "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Hyena, Marshal Rohr, and Tyrannicide are far better writers than I, and it's largely because of them I've started this project. 

Well then....

Ah, you make me blush. I'm only trying to emulate the legions of really good writers on this forum. A lot of the 284th Storm Battalion's background is inspired by this post by Darren, and the work done by the guys over at In Memoriam (well, when I say inspired, I mean subconsciously plagiarized :wink: ) Hyaenidae's highly militarized portrayal of his XIV Dragoon specifically has been a huge influence on the imagery of the 284th I have in my head, and that's who most of the credit should go to. To quote Sir Isaac Newton, "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Hyena, Marshal Rohr, and Tyrannicide are far better writers than I, and it's largely because of them I've started this project. 

Well then....

Sorry, Noctus. While I greatly admire what you've done with both the Kindred and the Chapter of the Ruined King  model and storywise, both are very different in concept to what I have in store for the Two Eighty-Fourth, whilst the others are... closer, I guess you could say? I don't know, but rest assured that my lack of acknowledgement to you was not based in disregard but more in non-pertinence, if that makes any sense?

Let's see some yellow now! 

In a bit, mate. Let me at least get some more dudes built before we get to that.

Responses!

@Jud Cottrell: Thank you for your support, mate! Just for the record, though, Master Sergeant Slade did not achieve his rank by charging recklessly into melee, but rather through his tactical abilities and the respect earned from his commanding officers. However, the duties of the Grenadier squads dictate that their members be where the fighting is thickest, and as a result the Master Sergeant has taken up a powered gladius to better perform his duty in combats against Traitor Legionnaires.

@MakoBoy88: I don't know about lovable, but thanks anyways! I'm really going to try to stick with this project to the end, unlike other things I've started, painted a single miniature for, and laid to rest. Fortunately, the hobby butterfly has left me with a pretty extensive bitz box over the past few years, and I'm really excited to be doing the VII Legion, to the degree that I'm actually considering selling off/trading my Xenos army and my Fantasy armies to get more Heresy stuff, which is something I never expected to be doing :)

@Wyvern: Thanks, man! Hopefully I can live up to your expectations :D :P

@Brother Pheidias:  No man died in the Emperor's service that died in vain :D And there will be more, for it is my duty... ;)

@Bladewolf: Yeah, the VII Legion community on the B&C has some awesome people, doesn't it ;) ZEAL is always awesome, even if the 284th prioritizes other things above it.

Part of the Reason why Imperial Fists are the best  Legion >.> 

We have the most hype band of battle brothers in this section of the forum 

I think its because some of us come from  backgrounds of excessive  ZEAL 

(Crawls out of woodwork) ZEAL YOU SAY!!!!!!

This looks like it'll be shaping up to be awesome. Since your army is more soldier focused should we expect less specialty units and more vets/tacs/maybe even recon marines...? SEEKERS?!?!?!!?

@IHF: Thanks man. I kinda have a compulsion to work out at least some sort of rough outline for organization before starting an army, so I've basically just refined the stuff I had for this one, added a bit of contextual information, and called it good.

@jimbo: Hit the nail on the head, brother. While I do plan on building at some point a squad of Templar Brethren on assignment from the 1st Company, this army will mainly focus on Tacticals, Vet. Tacs, and a few Breachers. While I haven't thought about Recon much, it's certainly a possibility, and Seekers will more than likely show up at some point. Close combat is definitely not a priority for the 284th. I'll be saving that for my Angels ;)

Edited by The Psycho

That's one of the cool thing about the VIIth the fact that it was legitimately large enough to specialize yerself however you like. My 775th armored works for me in that way while being able to say they worked extensively with the first.

I'm really excited to see you expand and to eventually see ur color scheme. Expect contained support from yer 7th legion bros cause that's just sorta how we carry on.

I blame slips

That's one of the cool thing about the VIIth the fact that it was legitimately large enough to specialize yerself however you like. My 775th armored works for me in that way while being able to say they worked extensively with the first.

I'm really excited to see you expand and to eventually see ur color scheme. Expect contained support from yer 7th legion bros cause that's just sorta how we carry on.

I blame slips

Totes!!! Slips is always causing problems....

Speaking of paint, should we expect to see anything special from your paint scheme? I know blade rocks the Templars/Veterans and I go with the gold with a splash of crimson?

The VII gets buffed bolters it would be a waste to CC specialize. (waits to get hit with the ZEAL stick)

I'm still a bit undecided as to the color scheme (I'll probably do some color tests next week), but I was considering drawing from Hyena again (I know, I do it a lot :D) and emulating in part his old Marines Malevolent scheme. I really want to do golden armor, but I don't think it would be properly representative of the 284th's character. They're soldiers, and they're practical in their wargear. They're not the sort to wear fancy-dancy golden armour, polishing it and whatnot. Same with the black armor. The 284th are very different in temperament to the Templar, and it wouldn't make sense in my mind for them to fight alongside the First to be honored with their colors (I've also painted quite a bit of black over the years, and want to try something different ;) )

Thanks for the continued support, dudes. It really keeps that spark burning bright. :tu:

I'm still a bit undecided as to the color scheme (I'll probably do some color tests next week), but I was considering drawing from Hyena again (I know, I do it a lot :biggrin.:) and emulating in part his old Marines Malevolent scheme. I really want to do golden armor, but I don't think it would be properly representative of the 284th's character. They're soldiers, and they're practical in their wargear. They're not the sort to wear fancy-dancy golden armour, polishing it and whatnot. Same with the black armor. The 284th are very different in temperament to the Templar, and it wouldn't make sense in my mind for them to fight alongside the First to be honored with their colors (I've also painted quite a bit of black over the years, and want to try something different :wink: )

Thanks for the continued support, dudes. It really keeps that spark burning bright. :thumbsup:

Glad to help. The VII is a band of brothers after all.

When I say "gold"

http://i.imgur.com/AvpiSPfl.jpg

The gold I was thinking about was somewhat closer to this (courtesy of Dan Quirk on the Leeds Night Owls forum):

Yours is a bit dark for my taste, though I certainly see its appeal. I've never done a lighter color paint scheme before, so I want to try something new.

Edited by The Psycho

Oh! That scheme! Yeah he's posted those on the forums here before! Really cool one and pretty easy to replicate!

If you want to darken/dirty it down, just add Agrax Earthshade somewhere in the mix and/or a final wash of very thinned Nuln Oil.

If you want something more Matte, do a "Standard" Yellow (Averland, Yriel, Flash Gitz, whatever you fancy) then drybrush a very Bright Gold over it once done/nearly done like Auric Armor.

I've started pretty much doing that a while back and it gives you a pretty subtle but enjoyable shine to your Yellow without it looking like Wear & Tear like it would if you used Silver.

The gold I was thinking about was somewhat closer to this (courtesy of Dan Quirk on the Leeds Night Owls forum):

Yours is a bit dark for my taste, though I certainly see its appeal. I've never done a lighter color paint scheme before, so I want to try something new.

Is there a link to this somewhere?? As I want to rip if off shamelessly!!