Actually is a Malevolent class Dreadnought! :D

gallery_33122_13210_395227.jpg

Obviously still very wip. The rear section of the top armor needs to be removed/addressed, the neck needs more cabling and so do the knees (need to fix them!), and since he is going to be a deredeo I need to figure out the missile launcher mount and to think what secondary weapons to add, heavy bolters or heavy flamers.

But, I could use some help and ideas on how do the arms/main weapon mounts.

So please, feel free comment, and help a fellow frater.

Cheers!

Only seen first episode of Alita, so I don't know if there are any angel like that. Maybe need to check that series again :)

As for weapon loadout, I don't know yet as the chaos version of the Deredeo isn't leaked yet, but if maintain the regular options I'll be arming him with two twin (hades) autocannons and an aiolos/havoc launcher plus twin undernose heavy bolters. The ACs will be magnetized, and the missile launcher (for if I decide to field it as a forgefiend if point costs are prohibitive, unlikely, because of BS 4+) or to take the hellfire carronade plasma cannons.

So, this happened yesterday.

Once discarded the first one, it took me a couple of hours to figure out how continue with it, and to add the main guns mounts. The answer was in the form of the Contemptor's body, which would give him the main gun mounts without looking out of place. Also used the Leviathan's exhausts and a little piece of the main body (internal canopy?).

img_20170604_180409.jpg?w=620&h=348

img_20170604_180429.jpg?w=575&h=1024

img_20170604_180440.jpg?w=575&h=1024

And a fit test is in order.

img_20170604_180537.jpg?w=575&h=1024

I'm really happy with the results so far! Let's see how the beast looks together ^_^

img_20170605_063425.jpg?w=620&h=718

img_20170605_063448.jpg?w=620&h=639

Looking good? :D

Now I need to work on the rear engine and how to close that :cussing gap in the upper hull! Lots of work to do yet.

And shave off that spirit stone! Can't leave it looking all xenos! I do have to say that it's amazing how well that hull matches up to the contemptor body. Shaping up to be a good (if expensive, by the parts so far) project.

You're making good progress.

As for the "Green Beret" cyborg, he's an anti-government terrorist who appears in the manga (graphic novel), and fought Gally (renamed "Alita" in North America) when the latter served the government anti-terror unit "TUNED".

And shave off that spirit stone! Can't leave it looking all xenos! I do have to say that it's amazing how well that hull matches up to the contemptor body. Shaping up to be a good (if expensive, by the parts so far) project.

Fear not! It shall be removed, I don't like space fairies. To be honest I'm surprised as well how well it fits and happy because that made the project easier. And while this is an expensive project, the Leviathan was lying unbuilt in a box since last summer, so I thought it was better to put those pieces on good use. And thanks Cardinal!

You're making good progress.

As for the "Green Beret" cyborg, he's an anti-government terrorist who appears in the manga (graphic novel), and fought Gally (renamed "Alita" in North America) when the latter served the government anti-terror unit "TUNED".

Thank you Bjorn :D

Hopefully I'll finish him this week, just need to be sure of how solve those things:

-The canopy gap

-The rear section: Engine, exhausts and cabling

-How to make the upper hull removable for easy painting

-Secondary weapons cabling and power feed

But for the main guns, fear not I already figured how to do them (crossfingers, if I'm wrong I'm gonna be mad xD) so will try to do at least a mockup tonight or tomorrow.

Cheers!

Thanks Doghouse, and also thank you for the advice. It improved his stance quite a lot :D

I messed up when gluing the hip, and it is facing a bit up for my taste, but I want to fix that with the joint of the upper hull.

But here!, some pics!

img_20170606_194220.jpg?w=620&h=620

First thing I did was to remove the joint, because I'm going to cut that in half, and that little hole is going to hold a magnet for easy weapon swap.

Here is the bug with the weapon added:

img_20170606_194234.jpg?w=620&h=620

img_20170606_194252.jpg?w=620&h=620

The pose is a bit awkward because it have a lot of blue-tac, but that's ok as I just wanted to see how it feels. Here's with his little brother:

img_20170606_194303.jpg?w=620&h=620

Now the question is, should add those little forward facing arms to the weapon mounts?

The Knight's arms bear ranged weapons. What he now needs are melee weapons. May I suggest mounting servo-arms closer to the head (see a Tyrannosaurus' arms for reference), the smaller arm size allowing the Dreadnought to maintain his balance and avoid tipping over?

Sorry for the delay to answer. I was hesitating to respond without some progress. But that's life, I haven't managed to have hobby time these days.

The Knight's arms bear ranged weapons. What he now needs are melee weapons. May I suggest mounting servo-arms closer to the head (see a Tyrannosaurus' arms for reference), the smaller arm size allowing the Dreadnought to maintain his balance and avoid tipping over?

I aim to make this guy as close as possible to the original, and while giving him arms would be fun, it will end with no place for the heavy bolters that are going to be at the sides of the head. If you look in the last pict-capture, were he is with the original model, you should see what I mean. Anyway, thanks for the tip Bjorn! ^_^

SWEET!!! Love it man!!
Maybe try the cannon forward an inch or so on the 4 vent lines... looks like it might be closer to the original that way

Thanks mate! Totally agree with you on that. Now I just need to figure out how to do it with the bits I have at the moment :sweat:  got a couple of ideas, so hopefully I should have some progress done.
 Thanks for the feedback!

That is looking really cool! Looking forward to seeing more!

Thank you Vairocanum! Glad you like him :) Really want to finish this beast.

Okay, I've been meaning to comment here for too long now, so let's get to it:

Mate, what a brilliant idea! Seeing one of the coolest plastic models from my childhood (and early hobby days) reimagined gave me such a warm and fuzzy feeling inside! And the conversion is shaping up into something truly special so far! Fantastic stuff! Now, if I may make the following suggestions and observations:

• maybe this is just a matter of the angle at which the photos were taken, but I really loved how the position and angle of the head (and the cabling behind it) in the first picture on this page seemed to suggest some kind of articulation. Some of this seems to have been lost with the cleaned up build, and I would suggest maybe trying to get at least some of that feeling back, as it adds to the machine's "plausibility", for lack of a better word.
  • I think you've come up with a very clever way of mounting the weapons to the body, but I'd argue the whole assembly seems just a bit too narrow when seen from the fron -- is there any way to addd just a bit of width to the whole affair?
  • as for the hole where the canopy normally goes, why not turn that into a cool feature and use it as an (armourglass shielded) look into the machine's inner workings/interred pilot/what have you? Of course closing that compartment would be the obvious way out, but maybe this part deserves another look, because it could add a cool detail to the model.

Anyway, you're off to a fantastic start! I'll be watching this with interest! :)

Aww hell yeah! The dread's looking awesome! If I had any criticism, it would be that the legs aren't back-jointed enough - the original's legs thigh plate is nearly horizontal, and the lower leg is jointed forwards more. I dunno if that makes any sense. Keep up the awesome work anyways! 

Thanks Foamy! I know about the legs. They're so different that make something like the original one (which only have 2 joints) would mean a full scratchbuilding project which I have no skills for. If I had bought a Deredeo instead, it'll had been better, as it have longer legs, and while it wouldn't fix the problem, it'll have a more avian/ED-209 look, if you know what I mean -that is, if I fully understood your suggestion/criticism (bear in mind that english is my 3rd language :sweat:).

If you mean instead, the angle of the leg, well, in that case is for technical reasons. First one is that I messed up cutting the sentinel leg, hence I didn't have that much plastic to play with. A second one is that due the structure of the resin upper leg, that it can't be pinned, because its not fully solid (and bear with me trying to explain this), thus, the first plastic bit of the sentinel leg connecting to the resin upper leg (which is not the one I messed up) is too short to make it horizontal. And that isn't even taking in account the little plastic cabling in which the upper leg sits for stability.

I hope this make sense to you, and thanks for stopping by!

That looks SO DANG COOL. Can't wait to see the final product. But DANG. Thats awesome. Now THAT is creativity and ingenuity 

Thanks BlueBelly! I don't know how long it will take, but WED I have day off at work so I'll try to dedicate all the afternoon at him :D

Cheers!

Cool kitbashes! Will you work further on those Thunder Warriors?

Cheers Velype! Glad you liked them ^_^

Regarding the TW, I'd love to make more of them. But it wouldn't be anytime soon -besides random one-shots. I have to wait a bit to see how GW is handling the true-scaling of marines/CSM before deciding anything. But don't worry, I'd love to have a full squad of them (heck, an army of them!), so at least 4 more will be done to add to any power armored force I'd make, will be they Chosen CSM/count as terminators/whatever.

Anyway, glad you liked him -even if he needs badly a re-paint!

Okay, I've been meaning to comment here for too long now, so let's get to it:

Mate, what a brilliant idea! Seeing one of the coolest plastic models from my childhood (and early hobby days) reimagined gave me such a warm and fuzzy feeling inside! And the conversion is shaping up into something truly special so far! Fantastic stuff! Now, if I may make the following suggestions and observations:

• maybe this is just a matter of the angle at which the photos were taken, but I really loved how the position and angle of the head (and the cabling behind it) in the first picture on this page seemed to suggest some kind of articulation. Some of this seems to have been lost with the cleaned up build, and I would suggest maybe trying to get at least some of that feeling back, as it adds to the machine's "plausibility", for lack of a better word.
  • I think you've come up with a very clever way of mounting the weapons to the body, but I'd argue the whole assembly seems just a bit too narrow when seen from the fron -- is there any way to addd just a bit of width to the whole affair?
  • as for the hole where the canopy normally goes, why not turn that into a cool feature and use it as an (armourglass shielded) look into the machine's inner workings/interred pilot/what have you? Of course closing that compartment would be the obvious way out, but maybe this part deserves another look, because it could add a cool detail to the model.

Anyway, you're off to a fantastic start! I'll be watching this with interest! :smile.:

Many thanks Kraut! :wub:

Really happy to read you here. I have 2 of the SC little dreads, and that exact feeling was what had me motivated. One of the coolest models GW did in my opinion. Very glad you like it and thanks for the compliment, it really means something to me coming from such a modeler like you.

About the neck problem, in the early drafts it looks a bit longer and more organic, but that was because the chassis was short (totally discarded the first one because was too short, flimsy, and to make the whole thing look consistent required a ton of work more than how it is done now. In the current pics looks shorter, but that's because the blue tack, which is -for now, as the cabling was removed- how it holds on the chassis. I want to extend the neck to make him look more predatory.

Regarding the width;

If you mean the body/upper hull, I honestly cannot figure how to widen it. If, however, you're talking about the weapon mounts (and I really hope so :laugh.:) I intend to add a couple of nacelles/arms spreading him a bit just like his little brother have, so its shoulders will be wider than the hip.

Lastly, that damned hole xD

Funny you mention it, because due the lack of bits in my box compatible with that gap, I was thinking this afternoon on filling it guitar strings to make it look like exposed cabling (mostly because in the bits sites I wandered, I only found the whole canopy/hull, and to pay 9$ for a small clear plastic bit, plus shipping is not a thing that I fancy right now) and a small port for connecting the magnetized missile pod.

I really want this beast to make justice to the original, so maybe it'll take a while to finish it (even that, I know that the end result may be a little crude compared to what I have in mind, but I'll take that as a challenge to test myself, learn and improve a bit).

Anyway, thanks a lot to everyone who had a moment to look, comment and give me food for thought. Hopefully I can make some progress this week.

Cheers everybody!

Regarding the width;

If you mean the body/upper hull, I honestly cannot figure how to widen it. If, however, you're talking about the weapon mounts (and I really hope so :laugh.:) I intend to add a couple of nacelles/arms spreading him a bit just like his little brother have, so its shoulders will be wider than the hip.

Oh yes, definitely talking about the weapon mount here, and not the body. It seems like you are actually on top of the situation, though, so I am looking forward to seeing the next update!