I didn't really get a great deal of responses to this when I posted it in the Chaos Space Marines subforum, so I thought I might be better looking for advice over here amongst all you Heresy devotees :biggrin.:

Hi all, figured this would be a good place to fish for some assistance on designing a feasible icon for the Chapter of Consecrated Iron. As far as I can tell, there's never really been any info on the Vakrah Jal chapter icon, although the biggest pointers come in the form of 'Consecrated Iron' and the fact that they were formed by Argel Tal, so there might be some reference to the Serrated Suns in the symbol.

I've done some concept work of plausible icons (I'm planning on doing some artwork for the Vakrah Jal - the rest of the concept designs for them are here), for which I assumed that 'Consecrated Iron' refers in some way to a Crozius - the first is a stylised brazier / censor, the second is a much simpler design, and the last is based off Illuminarium from the FW model of Lorgar - for all three, I've used flames, which are present in most of the Word Bearers' chapter icons, and seem particularly fitting for the 'Bearers of the Jade Flame':

gallery_53779_9225_69069.png

My current preference is for the rightmost design, but I'm interested in what you ladies & gents think. Any pointers? Come across any lore which suggests a slightly more solid basis for the Vakrah Jal icon? Any contributions would be welcome :biggrin.:

(Just as a side note: I've been in touch with A D-B about this, but he's a very busy guy, so hasn't managed to get back to me in relation to the chapter icon, before anyone suggests that :tongue.: )

Edit: thought I might as well just post the other Vakral Jal concepts here so you can get an idea of the aesthetic I'm going for:

gallery_53779_9225_286803.jpg

gallery_53779_9225_1826724.jpg

I do love your concept art for the Vakrah Jal, dude.

I'm leaning towards the right design too, the left design would look pretty sweet opposite your Legion icon. I'm also reading through Betrayer again so if I pick up on any tidbits about them I'll be sure to share them here. Any chance you could put the concept symbols on a shoulder pad alongside the legion icon to compare them ? 

I'd say #3. The Serrated Suns were a favored Chapter of Lorgar for their sacrifices, so I could see the reformation of the Chapter being given the honor of using his personal weapon as their symbol. I don't think #2 would work at all, especially considering the leader of the Vakrah Jal was a man who had forsaken his role as a Chaplain in training and had a deep seated loathing for the High Chaplain.

I'd say #3. The Serrated Suns were a favored Chapter of Lorgar for their sacrifices, so I could see the reformation of the Chapter being given the honor of using his personal weapon as their symbol. I don't think #2 would work at all, especially considering the leader of the Vakrah Jal was a man who had forsaken his role as a Chaplain in training and had a deep seated loathing for the High Chaplain.

I would disagree with that. Argel Tal's rejecting the position of chaplain was more out of a low opinion of himself, that he didn't feel worthy of being a spiritual leader of others. The man probably didn't feel worthy of being a captain, yet he accepted the role because he had no choice.

And yet, it is obvious from how he talks to Khârn in Betrayer, he is a believer. He believes in the Primordial Truth and Lorgar's place as a scion of the gods. There's a reason he used the word "consecrated" when naming his new Chapter.

He's basically calling his Chapter the Chapter of Sacred Iron. He's specifically naming the Vakrah Jal as the right hand of Lorgar, the being he believes to be the Prophet of the Gods. In other words, he named them after Illuminarem.

Wow, thanks for all the responses everyone, looks like #3 is cutting it at the moment, but I'll wait until I'm actually ready to do the final piece (pieces? :tongue.:) before I take the final tally :biggrin.:

I do love your concept art for the Vakrah Jal, dude.

I'm leaning towards the right design too, the left design would look pretty sweet opposite your Legion icon. I'm also reading through Betrayer again so if I pick up on any tidbits about them I'll be sure to share them here. Any chance you could put the concept symbols on a shoulder pad alongside the legion icon to compare them ?

Ask and ye shall recieve:

(if you want to see the pads in a bit more detail, click on the image & it should zoom in)

gallery_53779_9225_69069.png

While I like the markings on #3's sphere, I think that #1 is the most appropriate for the Vakrah Jal.

#2 kind of feels out of place next to the others. Maybe because the other two show overlaps between the fire and iron?

Archived