Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Vakrah Jal Chapter Icon

30k Horus Heresy Word Bearers XVII Legion

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Iron Hands Fanatic

Iron Hands Fanatic

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,271 posts
  • Faction: Xth Legion

I didn't really get a great deal of responses to this when I posted it in the Chaos Space Marines subforum, so I thought I might be better looking for advice over here amongst all you Heresy devotees biggrin.png

Hi all, figured this would be a good place to fish for some assistance on designing a feasible icon for the Chapter of Consecrated Iron. As far as I can tell, there's never really been any info on the Vakrah Jal chapter icon, although the biggest pointers come in the form of 'Consecrated Iron' and the fact that they were formed by Argel Tal, so there might be some reference to the Serrated Suns in the symbol.

I've done some concept work of plausible icons (I'm planning on doing some artwork for the Vakrah Jal - the rest of the concept designs for them are here), for which I assumed that 'Consecrated Iron' refers in some way to a Crozius - the first is a stylised brazier / censor, the second is a much simpler design, and the last is based off Illuminarium from the FW model of Lorgar - for all three, I've used flames, which are present in most of the Word Bearers' chapter icons, and seem particularly fitting for the 'Bearers of the Jade Flame':

gallery_53779_9225_69069.png

My current preference is for the rightmost design, but I'm interested in what you ladies & gents think. Any pointers? Come across any lore which suggests a slightly more solid basis for the Vakrah Jal icon? Any contributions would be welcome biggrin.png

(Just as a side note: I've been in touch with A D-B about this, but he's a very busy guy, so hasn't managed to get back to me in relation to the chapter icon, before anyone suggests that tongue.png )

Edit: thought I might as well just post the other Vakral Jal concepts here so you can get an idea of the aesthetic I'm going for:

Spoiler

Edited by Iron Hands Fanatic, 05 March 2016 - 07:59 PM.

• A D-B, totgeboren, Urauloth and 5 others like this

Atia

Atia

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,316 posts
  • Faction: The Horus Heresy

I like #3 most :)

thumbsup.gif

Get your daily news, rumours and hobby stuff  http://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/

My WIP Thread (30k, Kill Team, Necromunda and ADEPTUS TITANICUS!)

gallery_29004_10383_126.pngL_T_2_2016_Badge_09_Delegatus.jpgsml_gallery_29004_12090_760.pngETL_2016_Badge_10_Badge_of_the_Artificergallery_29004_10383_2014.pngCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_9303_10186.pnggallery_29004_15471_5616.pnggallery_48988_15151_1164.pnggallery_48988_15151_6604.png

>> Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? <<

Dantioch

Dantioch

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 393 posts

I do love your concept art for the Vakrah Jal, dude.

I'm leaning towards the right design too, the left design would look pretty sweet opposite your Legion icon. I'm also reading through Betrayer again so if I pick up on any tidbits about them I'll be sure to share them here. Any chance you could put the concept symbols on a shoulder pad alongside the legion icon to compare them ? 

Heresy Iron Warriors & Ultramarines- http://www.bolterand...vth-legion-wip/

gallery 48988 10980 12646

Balthamal

Balthamal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,692 posts
  • Faction: XX Legion - The Downfall

#3 is totally boss mate

Kol Saresk

Kol Saresk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,014 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords
They're all pretty amazing, but I'm leaning towards #3.

Nostraman_zpsf4be09e4.pnggallery_29004_9303_9178.pnggallery_29004_9303_5366.pngfriday-award.png

Calas Typhon

Calas Typhon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 723 posts

#1 is the choice from me, #2 seems a bit too solid if that makes any sense. #3 is not bad, but #1 trumps it!

Tyrannicide

Tyrannicide

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,912 posts

#1 nails it for me.

+++The Host of Anguish+++

gallery_25301_10678_6786.jpg

+++In Memoriam: The Day the Palace Fell+++

+General Thread+ 

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,221 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard, 3rd Grand Company

I'd say #3. The Serrated Suns were a favored Chapter of Lorgar for their sacrifices, so I could see the reformation of the Chapter being given the honor of using his personal weapon as their symbol. I don't think #2 would work at all, especially considering the leader of the Vakrah Jal was a man who had forsaken his role as a Chaplain in training and had a deep seated loathing for the High Chaplain.

• Balthamal likes this

Check out my Photobucket Here
 DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle: An Experiment in Flesh and Machine (House Makabius & Dark Mechanicum WIP currently)

In Service of the Death Lord: DuskRaider's Adeptus Titanicus Project

DuskRaider's 30K Word Bearers Force

DuskRaider's 3rd Grand Company Death Guard Legion Force

To view my older threads, please go to the link HERE and download the add-on to view Photobucket linked images.

Kol Saresk

Kol Saresk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,014 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords

I'd say #3. The Serrated Suns were a favored Chapter of Lorgar for their sacrifices, so I could see the reformation of the Chapter being given the honor of using his personal weapon as their symbol. I don't think #2 would work at all, especially considering the leader of the Vakrah Jal was a man who had forsaken his role as a Chaplain in training and had a deep seated loathing for the High Chaplain.

I would disagree with that. Argel Tal's rejecting the position of chaplain was more out of a low opinion of himself, that he didn't feel worthy of being a spiritual leader of others. The man probably didn't feel worthy of being a captain, yet he accepted the role because he had no choice.

And yet, it is obvious from how he talks to Khârn in Betrayer, he is a believer. He believes in the Primordial Truth and Lorgar's place as a scion of the gods. There's a reason he used the word "consecrated" when naming his new Chapter.

He's basically calling his Chapter the Chapter of Sacred Iron. He's specifically naming the Vakrah Jal as the right hand of Lorgar, the being he believes to be the Prophet of the Gods. In other words, he named them after Illuminarem.

Nostraman_zpsf4be09e4.pnggallery_29004_9303_9178.pnggallery_29004_9303_5366.pngfriday-award.png

heshman

heshman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 77 posts

#3 for sure

Urauloth

Urauloth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,053 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard

Uh, yes, #3 please. Actually you should draw that more.

It came with the nightfall

The dark that swallowed the stars
One by one, it painted them black
And brought horror to our hearts

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,697 posts
  • Faction: VIII Legion - Crimson Sons

I like 3 the best, but at the same time, I'm not fond of the circle with the runes in the middle of it.

dVIGLrG.pngFPVd6je.pngQiZFXmD.png

Hope is the first step to despair.

fire golem

fire golem

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,405 posts
  • Faction: XVth Legion, Loyal Siege force
I think 3 is my favourite.

Vulkan He'Dan

Vulkan He'Dan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 109 posts
  • Faction: The Dauntless Few
I like number 1 the most, but 3 is a close second. Also that concept art..... (Un)Holy Moly! That is some amazing stuff. Can't wait to see what it turns into
http://www.bolterand...-dauntless-few/ - Dauntless Few Army Log
By My Fury They Shall Know The Emperors Name!

BladeBreaker

BladeBreaker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 30 posts

#1 for me defiantly 

We are the Gods, and the hells that we have made are our own.

gizur

gizur

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 235 posts
  • Faction: 30K Word Bearer,

i prefer no 3.

Lord Tharand

Lord Tharand

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 480 posts
  • Faction: XII XVII Legions

I dig #1.  I like how the flames are coming through the cross.

Iron Hands Fanatic

Iron Hands Fanatic

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,271 posts
  • Faction: Xth Legion

Wow, thanks for all the responses everyone, looks like #3 is cutting it at the moment, but I'll wait until I'm actually ready to do the final piece (pieces? tongue.png) before I take the final tally biggrin.png

I do love your concept art for the Vakrah Jal, dude.

I'm leaning towards the right design too, the left design would look pretty sweet opposite your Legion icon. I'm also reading through Betrayer again so if I pick up on any tidbits about them I'll be sure to share them here. Any chance you could put the concept symbols on a shoulder pad alongside the legion icon to compare them ? 

Ask and ye shall recieve:

(if you want to see the pads in a bit more detail, click on the image & it should zoom in)

gallery_53779_9225_69069.png

Edited by Iron Hands Fanatic, 05 March 2016 - 08:03 PM.

• A D-B, Balthamal and Dantioch like this

A D-B

A D-B

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,486 posts

J'adore.

• Iron Hands Fanatic likes this
Note: Everything I say is my own personal opinion as hobbyist, a novelist, and the world's slowest painter. It's not intended to reflect back on Games Workshop in any professional context.

Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Stercus

Stercus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,466 posts
#1 all day. It's an iron cross consumed and cleansed by the holy flame of true belief... What's not to love?

<p>gallery_48988_6285_50857.png
My thread of things:
http://www.bolterand...lds-some-stuff/

WIP Index Astartes Articles:

Gatekeepers: http://www.bolterand...pers/?p=4192488

Harvesters: http://www.bolterand...ters/?p=4192489

Sons of Aetius: http://www.bolterand...tius/?p=4192491

Stercus percussit molendinum ad

Balthamal

Balthamal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,692 posts
  • Faction: XX Legion - The Downfall

I'd never do Word Bearers myself but holy :cuss dude all three of them are outstanding. Still sticking with #3 as my preference though

depthcharge12

depthcharge12

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,653 posts
  • Faction: XVth Legion, Ist Legion

J'adore.

Is that some sort of Colchisian yer speakin' boy?

;)
Sons of Horus painting log (3000+ points & Horus)

http://www.bolterand...rus-plog-horus/

Scars of Rangdan, Dark Angels Legion:

http://www.bolterand...79#entry4575179

helterskelter

helterskelter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,471 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords Legion
1 or 3 I'm so torn between them both. I even slept on it before I replied but it's too hard :P
gallery_48988_10980_7442.png

My referal code for eternal crusade:EC-MHXKY9RLYIIEH

Conn Eremon

Conn Eremon

++ SCRIBA VILLOSUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,200 posts
  • Faction: Emerald Tigers
While I like the markings on #3's sphere, I think that #1 is the most appropriate for the Vakrah Jal.

#2 kind of feels out of place next to the others. Maybe because the other two show overlaps between the fire and iron?

Posted Image

Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes

Guilliman Heresy | Corax Coup | Conn's DIY Projects | Liber Surgery

The Liber Cluster II is now live!

Dantioch

Dantioch

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 393 posts

Yeah seeing the pads like that it definitely has to be #3. Beautiful work, dude!

Heresy Iron Warriors & Ultramarines- http://www.bolterand...vth-legion-wip/

gallery 48988 10980 12646

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 30k, Horus Heresy, Word Bearers, XVII Legion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users