The Horus Heresy era Space Wolves of Ursa Doom

Ursa Doom

Here are my Horus Heresy era Space Wolves that I have built using the Betrayal at Calth kits, the Space Wolves upgrade pack for shoulderpads, some Space Wolves bits and resin pelts. The idea is that I will be using a bit more minimalism for the Norse and wolf themes on the miniatures because I think that GW has been overdoing it since the 5'th edition. I will later give them more lore correct titles and names once the Inferno book with Space Wolves informarion is released.

Praetor, Torsten Trollbane

Wielding Paragon blade and a Volkite Charger.

gallery_85925_11631_426607.jpg

gallery_85925_11631_148747.jpg

gallery_85925_11631_172969.jpg

gallery_85925_11631_123330.jpg

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought, Beli

Equiped with two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons.

gallery_85925_11631_784924.jpg

gallery_85925_11631_508116.jpg

gallery_85925_11631_101407.jpg

Legion Tacical Squad, lead by Sergeant Harald Blåhand

gallery_85925_11631_112737.jpg

gallery_85925_11631_777853.jpg

gallery_85925_11631_734463.jpg

Legion Tactical Sergeant, Orson Valaris

gallery_85925_11631_129623.jpg

gallery_85925_11631_230826.jpg

gallery_85925_11631_239515.jpg

gallery_85925_11631_139014.jpg

The crimson in contrast with the grey works so well together!

Im loving this :D

Thanks! It's one of the reasons why I love painting this colour scheme and I'm having more fun with it than anything else I painted in 40k for the last ten years. It's also fast and simple as a bonus.

Finally, non Hollywood-Vikings-in-spaaaAAAAACE. 

I really like these guys, exactly how I imagine all Space Wolves to be. A bit culturally defined like all Legions but not over the top.

Thanks! That's exactly what I was going for.

Really like what you've done with these. I second the comment about the red and grey, it works really well together, I didn't recognise that the pads were Ragnar's. I feel that you could add a few more pelts and totems and it would still be far from OTT wolfy, especially on the dread. Looking forward to seeing more.

Really like what you've done with these. I second the comment about the red and grey, it works really well together, I didn't recognise that the pads were Ragnar's. I feel that you could add a few more pelts and totems and it would still be far from OTT wolfy, especially on the dread. Looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks! I'm mostly being conservative on the resin pelts to save money.

Fantastic.

Please can you share the recipe for your grey?

Sure.

After basing them with black I paint on a layer of Vallejo's 75.155 Heavy Charcoal, then I drybrush that with Vallejo's 72.050 Cold Grey, then I carefully highlight the edges with Army Painter's Ash Grey and after that I wash them with Army Painter's Dark Tone ink. Afterwards I mix a bit of Heavy Charcoal with Cold Grey to smooth out any surfaces of the armour that looks too dark.

The black parts is Citadel's The Fang washed twice with Dark Tone ink.

The brass is Citadel's Runelord Brass painted with a layer of Citadel's Hashut Copper.

The red parts is Vallejo's 72.141 Heavy Red. I mix in a brighter red with it for highlights and wolf emblem.

For the skin, first I do a coat with Vallejo 72140 Heavy Skin, then I drybrush with Vallejo 72.003 Pale Flesh, after this I wash the skin with Vallejo 73.204 Fleshtone Shade, after it dries I highlight areas I want to bring out (such as the nose, forehead, cheeks and etc) carefully with Pale Flesh again and do another wash. I might also also smooth out some areas that are a bit too flushed with thinned down Heavy Skin.

On the Praetor I also put on a couple of dots of Vallejo 72.044 Dark Fleshtone on the scalp for livespots to make him look old and grizzly.

I realised that I forgot to upload pictures of my Wolf Priest/Chaplain.

Now I know some people don't like the wolf helmet, but I really wanted to use it on something, because I think it's kinda cool even if it's cheesy at the same time. I have also always kinda liked the idea of the old Ulrik model.

So I decided I wanted something similar for 30k. It was also a quick and easy way to give it that Space Wolves look without having to do a lot of tinkering with the already great looking model. I made the decision of having the wolf helmet being black to match the other sculpted wolf heads in the army's iconography to give the Wolf Priest a more cermonial look. Also, the wings on the mace is black because I wanted it to be reminiscent of raven wings to symbolise a Norse flavoured wisdom and watchfulness of the Allfather/Emperor.

Wolf Priest, Vidar Snjallrtól

gallery_85925_11631_56242.jpg

gallery_85925_11631_257217.jpg

gallery_85925_11631_380238.jpg

gallery_85925_11631_336300.jpg

The Wolf Priest is very nicely done, and the black helm is a cool idea. I also like the runic symbol on the cloak, along with the subtle line along the cloaks hem.

The one thing I dislike, and it is nothing to do with you is the Wolf Helm itself, although it is an improvement on the previous one which looked like a mechanical Skaven head :D

Oh, which colour eye lenses are you going to go with? I noticed a mix of red & yellow.

@dantay_xv

Thanks. The orange/red tint on the eyes is mostly something brought out by the warm yellow wash I'm using. I might have to redo the eyes on the Wolf Priest, though, the photos makes it look like I might have screwed them up a bit.

The Wolves are looking awesome man! 

That stormy gray color is ace. 

How did you do the neat blue-black color on the Priest's wolf helm, if you don't mind me asking? 

The Wolves are looking awesome man! 

That stormy gray color is ace. 

How did you do the neat blue-black color on the Priest's wolf helm, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks! On the helmet I painted it with one coat of Citadel's The Fang, then I gave it a couple of washes of Vallejo's Dark Tone ink, then I carefully highlighted the parts that I wanted to stand out with The Fang and for last I carefully added some more Dark Tone into the grooves to really make the highlights stand out.

Archived