The Broverse Inquisition

bluntblade

Given the course that the Insurrection is going to take, the birth of the Inquisition will play out differently in this universe. A lot will depend on the result of the timeline vote, but I'm sure there are plenty of ideas we can start discussing already.

Why would it have to be created before the end of the insurrection?

Now Knights Errant and Grey Knights, that's different. Since the war will probably last much longer, the Knights Errant might have more time to recruit more people, leading to a larger force of founding Grey Knights: these might play a major role in the Insurrection.

Conversely, Icarion also has longer to create his own agents (that we haven't seen in Canonverse)

Uhmm. Di we really need grey knights in this universe? I absolutely love them but to ne honest the emperor has already built here a better defense line against the immaterium. The pariah legends ( okay okay 2 fall to chaos) but I think if we built grey knights, they should be completly different. Why banish a daemon if i can simply evaporate him? A chapter consisting of 666 daemonhunting pariahs....

Uhmm. Di we really need grey knights in this universe? I absolutely love them but to ne honest the emperor has already built here a better defense line against the immaterium. The pariah legends ( okay okay 2 fall to chaos) but I think if we built grey knights, they should be completly different. Why banish a daemon if i can simply evaporate him? A chapter consisting of 666 daemonhunting pariahs....

Yeah, I suppose too that he already made the Lightning bearers, which are essentially better Grey Knights (:P) and they turned against him, so I imagine he wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to repeat that mistake...

I don't think I have much to say that hasn't already been. The role of Grey Knights (i.e. destroying daemon-corrupted worlds) is already filled by both the Lightning Bearers and the four pariah legions. I think later developments of this storyline may give opportunities to make something out of the Knight Errants, but right now I think it's too early to consider.

Yeah, but about the Knights Errant we could already make a concept. So when did Malcador decide, that building them would be necessary?

I can see another origin concept, where Malcador requested an entourage of marines he handpicked from every legion, way before the insurrection, maybe as his personal guard or something like that.

The Foundation of the Nightguard

During the latter years of the Great Crusade, those sons of the Emperor given the gift of foresight began to receive troubling visions, visions of a galaxy swamped by the warp, warp entities swarming across the Imperium, slaughtering at will. Seeing that this was what would become of the Imperium if it continued to use the warp, the Emperor made his choice. He must return to Terra to personally oversee the progression of his webway project. However, until this project was complete, humanity would be left defenceless against the deamons of the warp, for Icarion and his Lightning Bearers could not be everywhere. So it was that the Emperor instructed his regent, Malcador the Sigilite, to create a new order, unknown to any save the Emperor and his most trusted sons, Icarion the Stormborn and Alexandros the Warmaster.

Drawn from the ranks of the Legiones Astartes, this new order was to be composed of the most skilled and most stalwart followers of the Imperial Truth that could be found amongst the astartes. Armed and armoured in the very best equipment that could be had, on par with that of the Emperor's own Custodians, this new order was to be responsible for standing vigil over the two largest warp anomolies in the galaxy: the Eye of Terror and the Maelstrom. However, this task was not to be taken lightly and every new member had not only to take an oath of secrecy but also to forget all aspects of their previous life. Upon joining this order, they would be marked as killed in action, their old names commited to their legion's rolls of honour and they were forced to take a new name and erase all traces of their previous allegiance, painting their armour entirely black save for the unblinking eye that represented their new task and the sigil of the Sigilite on their left shoulder guard.

While this order started out as a small band of ever vigilant brothers, it gradually expanded. By the 240th year of the Great Crusade, it numbered nearly 1,500 battle brothers, spread out over three "Keeps" across the galaxy: the Tower of Reason on Chinchare and the Tower of Vigilance on Strela near the Eye of Terror and the Tower of Truth on Golgotha near the Maelstrom. While they also had a Keep on Terra that was incorporated into the Imperial Palace, the Tower of Light, this was only lightly garrisoned. The real headquarters of the order was the Tower of Vigilance.

However, the order had also developped a hierarchy of its own, symbolized by various objects like keys, lanterns and books with which the astartes adorned their armour. Keepers, who bore a set of keys on their armour, were the lowest rank of the order. Illuminators, bearing a lantern hanging from their belt, were the orders sergeants. Watchers, bearing a book(each a tome containing knowledge they were forbidden to share with others) hanging from their belt were the Captains and each commanded a garrison, while the order itself answered only to the Emperor and the Sigilite.

The order had also taken for itself a nickname: the Nightguard. This name was drawn from a section of the oath each new member of the order was required to take:

"As the ever lasting night gathers I shall not falter.

I shall be the eternal eye

I shall be the eternal watcher

I shall be the eternal guardian

I shall know no fear

In the face of the dark I shall not falter and by my sword shall the night be turned back

I am the eternal eye

I am the eternal watcher

I am the eternal guardian

I know no fear

The night gathers and now my watch begins, it shall not end until my death for with my blood do the realms of men endure".

?

Edited by Sigismund229

And just to give bluntblade some more characters to play with I present to you:

The Hands of the Sigilite

Where the Emperor had his Custodians, the Sigilite had his "Hands", a personal guard of 18 astartes, each one hailing from a different legion. Selected for their skill, courage and bravery by the primarchs, the Hands were tasked with guarding Malcador with their lives if necessary. Each of these astartes was both an exemplar of his legion and also a warrior without any match in the Legions outside of this select brotherhood. While they kept their own legions symbol on their right shoulder guard, these astartes painted the rest of their armour silver, in imitation of the Emperor's own custodians. Each term of service within the Hands lasted for a decade, after which the astartes in question would return to his legion and be replaced by another of his brothers(although those who served within the Hands frequently chose to keep their armour's left arm silver, in memory of their time in this elite cadre).

However, despite their purpose as a ceremonial guard for formal occasions and bodyguards, the Hands also had another task, one which none outside their closed ranks knew of. Whenever the Sigilite had a mission he could entrust to no other, the recovery of a relic of mankind's past or the assasination of a suspected traitor, he would dispatch either a Hand, or sometimes multiple Hands, to see his will done. It was through this that the Hands earned their name, for they acted where the Sigilite could not. However, they would not stay the Hands forever. Upon the outbreak of the Icarion Insurrection, they would earn another name: the Knights Errant.

At the time of the outbreak of the Insurrection the Hands were as follows:

I Legion-

III Legion-Toraghan, the Lion's Claw, expert with an axe, former champion of Clan Ikenos.

IV Legion-Aiton

V Legion-Brigadier Bur-on, Master of the Flying Javelin, Citadel of the Ist Cohort

VI Legion-Enoch

VII Legion-Khârn

VIII Legion- Vladimir Krivoshein, Warp Strangler, The Lantern That Burns The Shadow

IX Legion- Kazimierz, wielder of the golden axe of Vostala, once of the IX Legion.

X Legion- Abi-albon Arbath, The Ebon Razor, Paragon of the Host of the Tempests’ Strain, Tribe Vindonnus, Fire Keepers Legion.

XII Legion-Deschain, master of double sabre combat(pariah)

XIII Legion-Takar, blademaster of the Eagle Warriors, formerly of the Aztekis Circle.

XIV Legion-Koo'exicotl, The Black Hearted, The Skeletal Hand

XV Legion-

XVI Legion-Anithos Sorron

XVII Legion-Di-on Swei, Disciple of the Open Palm, Champion of the XVIIth Legion

XVIII Legion- Al'Manat Izzaran, The Insomniac, The Bitter Shade

XIX Legion-Aios of Ithaca, Champion of the 5th Grand Assembly

XX Legion-Niiganii

P.S. For those people whose legions already have a Hand, feel free to provide a new character/nane and I'll edit this list to include them.

Edited by Sigismund229

I think we should place Khârn elsewhere (I'm using him as a mentor of sorts for another future Knight Errant), but it'll probably be a Shepherd rather than a Zerker. Yet another bone of contention. Edited by bluntblade

For the XIXth Legion,  Champion of the 5th Grand Assembly (Assembly = Company, Grand Assembly = Chapter), Aios of Ithaca (google it ;) )

Garrissons of Nightguard

The Eye of Terror garrisson.

The Tower of Vigilance, Strela. 700 astartes, commanded by Warden Sharlock Levaylathan formerly of the I legion.

The Tower of Reason, Chinchare. 400 astartes commanded by Juzzi Fol formerly of the XII legion.

The Maelstrom garrisson.

The Tower of Truth, Golgotha. 400 astartes commanded by Yantur Fell, formerly of the VII legion.

The Terra garrisson.

The Tower of Light, Terra. 71 astartes commanded by Harthu Trenar, formerly of the XV legion.

I had an idea earlier about both Khârn & Nux as Knights Errant/Nightguard in a mentor-student role, then later being the first Nightguard to banish a Daemon-Primarch, ol'daddy Raktra. Khârn avenges the decades of torment and the culling of the Shepards, while Nux finally steps out of Raktra's shadow and proves his conscience doesn't make him weak.

Well Khârn would've spent years teaching him that as it is, but I like that. He "adopts" him shortly after Raktra's reunited with the Legion, so I'm thinking Nux would be a lieutenant (if I recall, they had those instead of a senior sergeant for each company) by the time Icarion rebels. While Nux is certainly still learning, he's no neophyte.

I had an idea earlier about both Khârn & Nux as Knights Errant/Nightguard in a mentor-student role, then later being the first Nightguard to banish a Daemon-Primarch, ol'daddy Raktra. Khârn avenges the decades of torment and the culling of the Shepards, while Nux finally steps out of Raktra's shadow and proves his conscience doesn't make him weak.

As Knights Errant that'd be fine but the Nightguard need to forget their previous existence(in fact I thought we could maybe have a civil war within the Nightguard as some still haven't forgotten their old legion and so turn traitor?)