The Legion For You: Part Two, Electric Boogaloo!

Slips

Santa has been very nice and left me a copy of Betrayal at Calth and Burning of Prospero in my stocking and has rekindled my love for the Horus Heresy. Now the inevitable Legion indecision begins.

I've always loved Librarians. I know they're not as strong or as prevalent in the Heresy but who doesn't love genetically engineered warp enthusiasts (Nikea attendees excluded). Normally this would mean I'd be a shoe in for the Thousand Sons, or from perusing the rules the Word Bearers, but I don't want that to be the only thing I've got going for me and I'm not too keen on demons everywhere.

My group so far has Imperial Fists, Emperor's Children, Sons of Horus, Iron Hands and Night Lords so I'd like to avoid them if possible.

I'm looking for a Legion that doesn't mind a bit of the psyker action but is primarily melee based. Purely from the novels that makes me think of Space Wolves, White Scars and Dark Angels. I quite like the Ultramarine sword and shield Roman discipline look but I'm not sure Guilliman was all too happy with mind bullet marines. Just trying to find some guidance on how to marry up fluff with playstyle, and any thoughts appreciated. :smile.:

Dark Angels could suit. They're blademasters with bonuses when they use swords in close combat, and are certain to get an awesome knightly melee unit of some description, and the Lion was pretty quick to realise that they'd need to ignore the Edict of Nikaea if they were going to be able to defeat daemons.

I have been pondering on doing the HH since before BaC came out, but never really got started mostly because of indecision. However, i'm planning to get a proper start on the 16th of January, and by then i need to have chosen a legion. I'm more of a collector than a gamer, and gaming wise the only demand i have is that it has atleast 2 different playstyles (Ironfire vs Perturabo Terminator wing for example), for variety sake. Even though at one point in time i have wanted each legion, i have now narrowed it down to these two:

Dark Angels and Iron Warriors.

Iron Warriors are my default choice atm. I play them in 40k, and i can paint them to a standard that i am happy with. But i feel they are the safe choice. Because i like unique units from other legions more, i like the fluff from other legions more. Iron Warriors are in no way, currently the most fun or interesting legion option for me. The only reason i do like them, is because of the Perturabo and Iron Circle models, and mostly, because i can paint them to a standard i am actually quite happy with in a very reasonable timeframe. And i feel, that if i were to invest in a full Iron Warrior army, i might end up dissapointed in the end as the Dark Angels get fleshed out a lot more (i already know they have the more interesting fluff and Primarch).

Iron Warriors

Pro's:

- Easy to paint

- Perturabo model

- Iron Circle

- Tyrant Siege Guard

Con's

- Safe bet, not that exciting.

- I don't mind the fluff, but i think there are legions with much better fluff.

Which lead me to DA. 

Pro's:

- Fluff is awesome for DA.

- The Upgrade bits from FW look very cool.

- The artwork is amazeballs.

- Easily adaptable into a 40k army.

- Robes and tabards.

- Heraldry.

Cons

- They are black (Looks cool.. but painting it..)

- Lack of dedicated rules (we have the 2 wings, and some basic legion rules, but no special characters or unique units yet).

- No primarch model (but im sure the Lion will be done justice).

- no transfer sheet yet.

Most of the cons for DA will be resolved the moment FW puts the spotlight on them, so that mitigates that somewhat. But the biggest con is that i can't paint black marines that well. It's either too bland, or too green.. Maybe with practice i can get it better, but coupled with the lack of focussed rules from FW and no idea when they get the spotlight, that is quite a gamble.

That said, i reall do love their fluff, and we saw with The Imperial Fists that certain Legions don't always have to be in their dedicated colours. Some Imperial Fists are for example black with yellow detailing. Has there been any info on that for Dark Angels yet? If not, what do you expect/think about other colours than black?

Any tips for this indecisive aspirant?

Santa has been very nice and left me a copy of Betrayal at Calth and Burning of Prospero in my stocking and has rekindled my love for the Horus Heresy. Now the inevitable Legion indecision begins.

I've always loved Librarians. I know they're not as strong or as prevalent in the Heresy but who doesn't love genetically engineered warp enthusiasts (Nikea attendees excluded). Normally this would mean I'd be a shoe in for the Thousand Sons, or from perusing the rules the Word Bearers, but I don't want that to be the only thing I've got going for me and I'm not too keen on demons everywhere.

My group so far has Imperial Fists, Emperor's Children, Sons of Horus, Iron Hands and Night Lords so I'd like to avoid them if possible.

I'm looking for a Legion that doesn't mind a bit of the psyker action but is primarily melee based. Purely from the novels that makes me think of Space Wolves, White Scars and Dark Angels. I quite like the Ultramarine sword and shield Roman discipline look but I'm not sure Guilliman was all too happy with mind bullet marines. Just trying to find some guidance on how to marry up fluff with playstyle, and any thoughts appreciated. :smile.:

Dark Angels could suit. They're blademasters with bonuses when they use swords in close combat, and are certain to get an awesome knightly melee unit of some description, and the Lion was pretty quick to realise that they'd need to ignore the Edict of Nikaea if they were going to be able to defeat daemons.

In addition, the blood angels seem to fit: they were on the side of the TSs at nikaea and they are supposed to be one of the best close combat legions

So I'm considering in doing a world eaters dual 40k/30k army. So here's what I'm wondering:

Are there any books you all could recommend for someone interested in the WE? Books to stay away from?

Fluff wise when did the WE paint their armor red? Also how far into the heresy did they fall to actual khorne worship?

I have more but I feel like they could all be answered with reading.

Thanks in advanced!

Modelling advice needed boys and girls...

I've decided on Imperial Fists and am going for a Mk III heavy force (god bless Burning of Prospero) I've kitbashed a Captain using BoP and Deathwatch parts and am stuck on what head to give him...

Do I go for a bare Sanguinary Guard head (the one with the bionic eye) or do I go with the helmeted head from the Forge World Mk III command set? (the one the guy drawing his sword is wearing)

What do you reckon? Bare head or helmet?

• 2 weeks later...
Iron Warriors probably top my list alongside death guard and alpha legion - difficult decisions! I tend to gravitate towards traitors over loyalists although I do also like the 'Fists!

Okay, they say the third time is supposed to be the charm. This is probably my third time here.

I've attempted Imperial Fists, Iron Hands, Iron Warriors. & Dark Angels. All failed to go past a few models.

The voices seem to be calling me to do something else, but I just cannot decide. 

So, Night Lords. :devil:

I've read AD-B's background for them and find it stimulating.
How are they as an army compared to the more recent ones released?

Are their special units & rules really worthwhile?

Thank you.

Edited by Rashbold

Okay, they say the third time is supposed to be the charm. This is probably my third time here.

I've attempted Imperial Fists, Iron Hands, Iron Warriors. & Dark Angels. All failed to go past a few models.

The voices seem to be calling me to do something else, but I just cannot decide. 

Thank you.

Were there any particular reasons that you lost motivation with the others? Have you considered some of the non-astartes armies?

Thank you.

Were there any particular reasons that you lost motivation with the others? Have you considered some of the non-astartes armies?

Imperial Fists & Iron Wariors: read & enjoyed "Crimson Fist", always loved 40K CF chapter, bought FW Alexis Polux.

Saw the UK Games Day 2013 boarding action display of IF & IW. Begun planning both armies. Bought a ton of 

FW models & accessories. Real Life™ intervened. Had to sell most of it. Depressed with trying them again.

Iron Hands: Less HH stories, figured it gave more room for interpretation. Started to build slowly. They were going to

be my "bucket list" army. Start to finish. Hah! Adeptus Mechanicus came along. Other new shiny stuff etc.

Real Life™ intervened again. Sold them all. Yadda yadda.

Dark Angels: Hey, they're DA! Their new rules would be coming. Hesitation of how to build them BECAUSE their rules

aren't out yet. Real Life™, why not?

I'm familiar with space marines than other types of armies. Besides, this is the HORUS HERESY™. Legions!!!

Adeptus Mechanicus became an obsession. Couldn't do the FW expense, but I made up for it in GW models.

That went bust (as above).

Night Lords: Maybe I'm relating with the whole "Reign of Terror" vibe. 

The Night Lords were using brutal terrorist style tactics even before they turned from the Emperor. Konrad Curze's approach to non-compliant worlds was that of punishment and submission from fear of a fate worse than death. The Night Lords rank up there with the World Eaters on a scale of brutality and butchering, but the Night Lords did it to prove a point. The problem was that the Emperor saw Curze's methods as too extreme, even for Astartes. So he sought out to bring the Night Lords to heel. Curze saw this as a giant hypocrisy by the Emperor, that he would create the Primarch's and their legions for this purpose and then denounce them for using their gifts in a way he saw unfitting. So the Night Lords sided with Horus, but not because they saw Chaos as a better master. The Night Lords, in general, have a problem with authority. We'll protect you from yourselves and we'll destroy you because you aren't worth protecting 

Edited by Rashbold

Hi all,

So I've hemmed and hawed over this to no productive end for like, 2 years now. But my local store is finally building up steam on the Heresy train, and people are picking out Legions. I also really want to get started painting something, so I am requesting advice! I've not painted in years, so I'd also like to think about what's within my reach. What's the best Legion for fast attacking? I neither want a ton of rhinos and their chassis vehicles, nor do I want footslogging attrition. I really like Landspeeders and Javelins, and it would be nice to mix it up in CC as my 40k jam is Tau.

Defending the weak

Hope in the face of darkness

Knowledge, psykers

Mk IV and Mk VI armour, Tartaros terminators, Contemptors

Speed

Playing against type

Imperium Secundus

Compelling motives

Dislikes:

Callousness

Unreasonable-ness

Difficult paint schemes

Attrition warfare

Artillery

Drop Pods

Traitors

The Emperor (I know, despite the line above)

On the face of it, I'm leaning towards one of Blood Angels, Ultramarines, Salamanders, Emperor's Children, Thousand Sons, or Blackshields. Budget isn't SUPER constrained, but my preference is for plastic over resin, so for example if the 40k BA tacticals have enough pre-MKVII bits, it's a mark in their favour. I think given all I've said it seems on the face of it that Blood Angels are the way to go - although I'm unlikely to go nuts with having assault cannons out the wazoo on everything.

DA, WS, SW, IF, NL, DG, SoH, WB, RG and AL are out as people at the club are playing them.

Thanks!

@Rashbold, you have my full support to join the bloody VIIIth.

@Hergmir, I think Salamanders fit your first 2-3 likes perfectly. And because you'd be playing a HH Legion you're fully capable of running bikes, jet bikes, speeders all under the same banner. Plus their preheresy olive drab paint scheme is baller & easy imo.

Well, I wound up dicing for it in front of my pals at the local store. Legion IX it is, though I see they're battle brothers with Salamanders.  I think what I may well do is just have a few models done up in Salamanders colours to represent some sort of amalgated company of stragglers during Imperium Secundus before that falls apart. Speeders probably, to play up the playing-against-type factor, and there's no rules confusion since they won't be subject to the Legion rules anyway.

I posted in this thread like a year ago and since then have probably considered every legion out there :(. I'm really getting tired of myself at this point and I just need to pick something. For the moment I have decided that I really like the new Custodes and would like to do an allied force of them so I can narrow it down to loyalist legions. Loyalists in 40k also have access to much more fun 30k stuff than their Chaos versions so there's another point in their favor.

So I have it narrowed down to Dark Angels, Imperial Fists, and Ultramarines. Previously I had Word Bearers and Thousand Sons on the list as well

I would love a legion with an elite unit that looks cool and that I could throw at most threats. Gal Vorbok or Fire Drakes are good examples.

I probably identify with Dark Angels and the Lion the most. I love how they look with their feudal knight look and their fluff really appeals to me. They don't have a special unit yet but you just know they will probably get some awesome Deathwing models someday, knowing FW though who knows when that will be. One of the biggest negatives at this point is using their 30k stuff in 40k as well. The DA obviously have a very different color scheme in 40k which would cause issues. Also not thrilled about painting black. Oh and no primarch yet sucks too, again who knows when that will happen (here's hoping we find out tomorrow!!).

Imperial Fists are on the list because I would like a Legion that was at the battle for Terra whenever we actually make it there. In strategy games turtling was always my favorite thing, like building lots of defensive buildings and big guns and watching the AI batter itself against it so I like that aspect of the IFs a lot. I know Stone Gauntlet may not be the best RoW but I love the idea of lots of guys with shields moving up the field while big guns and artillery fire at the enemy behind them. Not sure how much I like yellow but whenever I see their yellow and black HH scheme I'm always impressed. Their special units are just OK, looks like Templar Brethren will destroy normal marines and such but a more elite assault squad will take them out pretty fast. I can always just take terminators with vigil pattern storm shields though. Also no primarch either and Dorn is probably even further away than The Lion. Finally not a huge fan of Dorn although I don't dislike him. I do like the stoic personality of the IF. Since their scheme has been yellow with only a change in trim color I see no issues using them in 40k and it looking odd.

Finally Ultramarines. I like all their tactical flexibility and it seems like their would be a fun legion to pilot. Guilliman seems like one of the only really heroic figures in the setting, or at least the closest to being heroic ;). Suzerins are really amazing looking models and from what I understand are just about as good as terminators. Not really feeling the other special units though. Guilliman is a pretty good model IMO and this is the only legion on my list with an actual primarch model, plus they will soon get Guilliman in 40k too! I really like that fluff wise any army tactic fits perfectly. I have no strong feelings about blue, don't like or dislike it. Blue is pretty easy to paint though so that would be nice. Also nice that their color scheme hasn't changed at all. I really dig their Roman theme (not as much as the DA's Knight theme though!) as I love ancient history. Actually I can't think of many negative to the UMs for me. Mostly a lack of an elite terminator unit, but then at the moment none of these legions have that. They can be a little boring I guess but really when reading their books they don't seem boring.

Well if anyone has any input about what I wrote please let me know ;). From writing this down it seems like I may be leaning towards UMs (which I think is what happened last time I posted in this thread) but to be honest Dark Angels really draw me as well. UMs have less negative but the positives for DA are stronger. I feel like if I choose UM I will regret it quite a bit when the DA finally get totally fleshed out and get their primarch.

[ EDIT for space by Rashbold ]

Well if anyone has any input about what I wrote please let me know :wink:. From writing this down it seems like I may be leaning towards UMs (which I think is what happened last time I posted in this thread) but to be honest Dark Angels really draw me as well. UMs have less negative but the positives for DA are stronger. I feel like if I choose UM I will regret it quite a bit when the DA finally get totally fleshed out and get their primarch.

I understand considering Dark Angels. Because 'DARK ANGELS'. But 30K rules yet to come. 

As for Imperial Fists & Ultramarines. In 30K & 40K, they practically get the same toys. 

IF: same colors, were at the Battle of Terra, stoic teutonic knights, 2 notable successor chapters (Black Templars & Crimson Fists) making the perfect Trifecta Astartes.

UM: same colors, NOT at the Battle of Terra, roman centurians, 2 versions of models for their primarch

I'd suggest leaning towards IF because of their connections with Terra (it's where they received most of their recruits & the big battle against Horus - and likely soon with Abaddon). Without knowing how GW will treat 40K Guilliman, why risk getting shoe-horned? FLUFF BREAKS, FISTS DO NOT!

Heh. I feel like I'm talking myself into going back to IF. 

Edited by Rashbold

So, I'm in a bit of a conundrum. I'm a huge fan of 30k for years now.

But, anytime I say I'm settling on a Legion, I end up seeing a flaw or restriction that bugs me like when you eat a Dorito and a piece stabs the roof of your mouth. First was DG. Love Mort and Typhus, models, legion fluff but their RoW are that thing. Next was NL, I like the stories but the RoW/ lists I came up with seemed phoned in or boring. Lastly, it seems the same with Word Bearers. I mostly have non legion specific stuff and need to settle up to get the cool bits. I'm looking for a legion that doesn't need a single RoW to lean on(NL) or allies (WB) to be fluffy and/or functional. I like assault but having the ability to shoot wouldn't hurt either.

Just based off fluff/preference I don't like UM, IH, Sal, EC. I understand "any legion can do anything" but something in me wouldn't be able to try to build a gunline World Eaters list, know what I mean?

My mind is frazzled, please help. Lol

I posted in this thread like a year ago and since then have probably considered every legion out there :sad.:. I'm really getting tired of myself at this point and I just need to pick something. For the moment I have decided that I really like the new Custodes and would like to do an allied force of them so I can narrow it down to loyalist legions. Loyalists in 40k also have access to much more fun 30k stuff than their Chaos versions so there's another point in their favor.

So I have it narrowed down to Dark Angels, Imperial Fists, and Ultramarines. Previously I had Word Bearers and Thousand Sons on the list as well

I would love a legion with an elite unit that looks cool and that I could throw at most threats. Gal Vorbok or Fire Drakes are good examples.

I probably identify with Dark Angels and the Lion the most. I love how they look with their feudal knight look and their fluff really appeals to me. They don't have a special unit yet but you just know they will probably get some awesome Deathwing models someday, knowing FW though who knows when that will be. One of the biggest negatives at this point is using their 30k stuff in 40k as well. The DA obviously have a very different color scheme in 40k which would cause issues. Also not thrilled about painting black. Oh and no primarch yet sucks too, again who knows when that will happen (here's hoping we find out tomorrow!!).

Imperial Fists are on the list because I would like a Legion that was at the battle for Terra whenever we actually make it there. In strategy games turtling was always my favorite thing, like building lots of defensive buildings and big guns and watching the AI batter itself against it so I like that aspect of the IFs a lot. I know Stone Gauntlet may not be the best RoW but I love the idea of lots of guys with shields moving up the field while big guns and artillery fire at the enemy behind them. Not sure how much I like yellow but whenever I see their yellow and black HH scheme I'm always impressed. Their special units are just OK, looks like Templar Brethren will destroy normal marines and such but a more elite assault squad will take them out pretty fast. I can always just take terminators with vigil pattern storm shields though. Also no primarch either and Dorn is probably even further away than The Lion. Finally not a huge fan of Dorn although I don't dislike him. I do like the stoic personality of the IF. Since their scheme has been yellow with only a change in trim color I see no issues using them in 40k and it looking odd.

Finally Ultramarines. I like all their tactical flexibility and it seems like their would be a fun legion to pilot. Guilliman seems like one of the only really heroic figures in the setting, or at least the closest to being heroic :wink:. Suzerins are really amazing looking models and from what I understand are just about as good as terminators. Not really feeling the other special units though. Guilliman is a pretty good model IMO and this is the only legion on my list with an actual primarch model, plus they will soon get Guilliman in 40k too! I really like that fluff wise any army tactic fits perfectly. I have no strong feelings about blue, don't like or dislike it. Blue is pretty easy to paint though so that would be nice. Also nice that their color scheme hasn't changed at all. I really dig their Roman theme (not as much as the DA's Knight theme though!) as I love ancient history. Actually I can't think of many negative to the UMs for me. Mostly a lack of an elite terminator unit, but then at the moment none of these legions have that. They can be a little boring I guess but really when reading their books they don't seem boring.

Well if anyone has any input about what I wrote please let me know :wink:. From writing this down it seems like I may be leaning towards UMs (which I think is what happened last time I posted in this thread) but to be honest Dark Angels really draw me as well. UMs have less negative but the positives for DA are stronger. I feel like if I choose UM I will regret it quite a bit when the DA finally get totally fleshed out and get their primarch.

Well looks like someone else in my group is going to be doing Dark Angels. Obviously this doesn't mean I can't do Dark Angels by any means, but since i would like to not double up a legion it does make me lean towards UM and IF a bit. We have someone doing a small UM force for 40k already so that further makes IF more attractive. Not quite convinced yet though but it's looking more and more like IF will be the winner.

I have a question regarding the Word Bearers (well two really). With the Warborn making the core of my HH force I had wanted to expand and have a small allied force from each of the other Legions, going off an idea of a Terran from each legion actually getting along and working together as a group of 20 then grouping up again years later under an expiditionary fleet. Got all the details roughly worked out in my head aside from one detail (kinda two really). Prior to Lorgar's shaming, did ALL of the Word Bearer's worship the Emperor as a god? Or would it be possible for one Terran chapter master to see where it was going and request posting to an old friend's expeditionary fleet? If that is possible, what kind of name should I look for to call the Chapter?

Sometimes its annoying to have a lot of ideas.

So I've just returned from the Horus Heresy Weekender and I'm totally pumped for Heresy. With picking up my Assault Cannons and Storm Shields my Imperial Fists are pretty much complete.

I had planned to start a new Legion this year anyway but now I'm really drawn to the Space Wolves. I've previously played Wolves in 40K (many years ago) and lost interest in them when they effectively become parodies of themselves (riding Wolves, Sleighs etc). I see 30K Wolves as how they were always meant to be (this is a purely personal opinion and perspective).

I'm a little worried by the Space Wolves Tactica (unfortunately locked right now). There seems to be a lot of negativity around their rules right now. I don't really see the issue but it's got me a little worried...