The Legion For You: Part Two, Electric Boogaloo!

Slips

I've not played 40K for a long time now but never played either of those armies so that's a bonus.

As to Loyalist or Traitor I've always fallen on the side of the Emperor. That said I have no problem playing either.

At this point I think I'm going to do a small test of each army and see what I like most.

It's good just being able to vocalise what I'm thinking here. Thanks for the feedback..

Like Iron Warriors?

Lean towards the Imperium and not the traitors?

Meet Kyr Vhalen, badassness loyalist of the Iron Warriors.

Greetings everyone;

This is the first time I write on this forum and I will start with asking for some help in choosing which Legion could be best suited for me. I played at wh40k many years ago, so let's say that I am a newbie in termsof rules and gameplay for the moment.

I am looking for a Legion that can suits me both in fluff/panoply and in playstyle, which indeed can be really difficult. Starting with playstyle, I would aim for a Legion that gives me an infantry-heavy force (with minimum vehicles or transports) yet highly aggressive (drop pods or infiltration?) but not necessarily melee-oriented.

In terms of fluff I don't care about loyalist or traitors much, I care more about the panoply of the Legion applied to the singular Astartes (things like colours, markings, legion-specific armour styles, etc. etc.)

This are some of my picks:

Sons of Horus: loves both the panoply and the fluff; I remember that in their tactica thread I saw some lists with lots of orbital dropped Veterans led by Maloghurst or with Horus-Justaerin as the point of the spear; they are my first choice at the moment;

Dark Angels: always loved their pre-heresy panoply and the fact they are the First; yet full rules are still missing, could be not suited to my ideal playstyle....

Thousand Sons: again, love panoply and fluff; looked in their tactica thread as the rules were recently leaked, but I am still not sure they could suits me well... maybe to much in mixing and picking powers could lead me to confusion....

I was also looking at both the Night Lords or the Raven Guard, but I would prefer to hear more on their playstyle maybe.

Thanks for the feedback.

Alex 

Sons of Horus was what I was thinking while reading what you want, so when I read you're already considering them I think you should take the plunge.

Massive on your face turn one devastating shooting followed by assault or more teleportation of justaerin with Horus or abandon.

Sons of Horus was what I was thinking while reading what you want, so when I read you're already considering them I think you should take the plunge.

Massive on your face turn one devastating shooting followed by assault or more teleportation of justaerin with Horus or abandon.

Thanks, indeed I think I will fully accept the mantle of being one of the Warmaster's chosen :cool.:

Time to preparing a FW order then (I love the SoH upgrade bits too much to just take a BaC box from GW:tongue.:

Well now I'm considering White Scars instead of Imperial Fists. The play style would be very different from Word Bearers (something I'm not sure could be said about the IF), they are probably the least popular legion so they could use some love, I just read Path of Heaven so of course I like them now ;), and white and red are absolutely my favorite color combination.

I am concerned of the $$$ cost of doing them justice though as the jetbikes are quite expensive. Does anyone have an opinion on if WS can be fielded well without lots and lots of bikes? I'll be working towards getting more bikes of course but I would like to put them on the table in the mean time.

Hi guys,

I need your help and hope this is the right place for that ;)

because I cant make a decision which Legion I should choose.

actual I own this:

1 Betrayal @ Calth

1 Burning of Prospero

1 Heresy Rhino

2 Laser rapier Vindicator

1 Leviathan

1 "normal" Contemptor

This should work, for almost every legion, beside of that i could sell the vindicators ;)

What do you think which Legion would fit in best?

- I like the bad legions :) ( CSM 4 Life ;) )

- when its possible playable in 40k

- i say no to Word Bearers because of too much Daemos

- Sons of Horus, World Eaters, Iron Warriors are for my colleagues ( there is not much room I know :)

- i like Terminators and also the heavy stuff like Dreadnoughts and so on.

- i like the typical antihero too, like my avatar picture

Cause of that i have to choose between:

-Alpha Legion ( not really because of Terminators and the heavy stuff ^^)

- Death Guard ( there fit the most, but in 40k they look like big fat bobbles ;) )

Thousand Sons ( actually driving on Hypetrain)

- Dark Angels for Luther

Please no answer like, choose the primarch which you like, i like them all beside Lion el Johnson, but for that there is Luthor ;)

So did I forgot something?

Hi guys,

I need your help and hope this is the right place for that :wink:

because I cant make a decision which Legion I should choose.

actual I own this:

1 Betrayal @ Calth

1 Burning of Prospero

1 Heresy Rhino

2 Laser rapier Vindicator

1 Leviathan

1 "normal" Contemptor

This should work, for almost every legion, beside of that i could sell the vindicators :wink:

What do you think which Legion would fit in best?

- I like the bad legions :smile.: ( CSM 4 Life :wink: )

- when its possible playable in 40k

- i say no to Word Bearers because of too much Daemos

- Sons of Horus, World Eaters, Iron Warriors are for my colleagues ( there is not much room I know :smile.:

- i like Terminators and also the heavy stuff like Dreadnoughts and so on.

- i like the typical antihero too, like my avatar picture

Cause of that i have to choose between:

-Alpha Legion ( not really because of Terminators and the heavy stuff ^^)

- Death Guard ( there fit the most, but in 40k they look like big fat bobbles :wink: )

Thousand Sons ( actually driving on Hypetrain)

- Dark Angels for Luther

Please no answer like, choose the primarch which you like, i like them all beside Lion el Johnson, but for that there is Luthor :wink:

So did I forgot something?

Well if you're a fan of terminators and heavy stuff then Deathguard is the way to go! They have some of the best terminators and running heavy vehicles and such would be very fluffy for them, also Mortarion is awesome. As far as how they are in 40k that's mostly just plague marines in particular and they still can field normal old marines. I like their 30k color scheme so much I would recommend just running your 30k stuff as 40k where it's appropriate.

Hello guys,

I did hesitate to star  30k for, even my friends were saying how good game it is. I always seen it as  broken. However once I got few books actually into my hands I have realised its quite more balanced than 40k nowadays (mainly due to marine on marine action).

In 40k I do collect BA, so I would love to go for 30k BA as well. I have quite a few FW toys, actually going trough there is enough to build decent 3k BA army and still have some left over for 3k w.ever army.

I aim mainly for something fast with 30k BA army Jump troop blobs and HQ, scimitars, javelins, Sicaran battle tanks and Fire Raptor+Xyphon. 

Therefore I would like to ask you what would you suggest me to go for? I am mostly interested in fluff, would love to go for fluff list instead of power creep (40k is full of that). Moreover I would like to go for something little different than I experience with 40k BA (30k potentially)

Models I have at disposal ("left-overs")

3xRhino

2x Sicaran Tank with the S10 cannon

60 Tacticals (calth/prospero)

5 Tartaros

5 Cathapracii

Leviathan + Dread Pod ( however I think I will use him as BA)

Deadero Dread (same as above)

Spartan

All sorts of HQ models (preator duo, Aphothecaries, Master of signal, champ...)

2 Comptentors

plus the characters coming from Calth,Prospero with the golden boys n girls

Yet, I will buy any primarch that would be connected to legions I play

Moreover, I have been reading trough some HH books, however its bit slow as they are quite nice read and its plenty of them :smile.: Although few legions caught my eye; namely Emperors Children and Alpha Legion. However I am afraid they are just almost the same (or similar - considering the AL) as the BA.

Well opened for all ideas,

Thank you in advance

~BT

PS. ITS LEGION ... it just doesn't let me correct it :/ 

Edited by BloodTzar

Honestly, any Legion can play to any style.

My advice if you think all the Legions are appealing and want to build a fluffy force, is to perhaps look at each Legion's special units and rules.

For example, with the Emperor's Children, it's true that they have units like the Palatine Blades which are melee-orientated, but they also have the Kakphoni too. And with the Alpha Legion, you have the option to borrow units from other Legions (which gives you a lot of variety).

Building a themed force which includes a Legion's unique units is therefore a great way to have something instantly fluffy and distinct, but doesn't lock you out of expanding your force in different ways in future (for example, you might want a World Eater tank company, or an Iron Hands assault force).

From what you write, I'd suggest Blood Angels would be a good idea – it's clear your heart's there, and you end up with the potential to cross-pollinate units from the 30k army to the 40k one as valuable relics.

Of course the flip side of this is that you might end up a bit burned-out from painting Blood Angels all the time; so perhaps you might want to try something very different. 

(As a general note, there's a very useful discussion [url=http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/320317-the-legion-for-you-part-two-electric-boogaloo/]here (also stickied to the top of the subforum) that is all about which Legion to pick, so I'd head there for ideas.)

Otherwise, as usual, Major-Gilbear's advice is clear and concise – listen to him and you won't go far wrong!

Edited by Apologist

One more thing that's come to me whilst reading Apologist's post is this:

If you go to the trouble of making a Heresy-era army, I would highly suggest making an effort to include options and weapons that you don't get in 40k. Partly, this is because rules-wise you may as well be playing 40k if you just have a load of 10-man veteran squads with a heavy and special weapon. For me, and I suspect others, a huge amount of the 30k setting's appeal is in being able to field all sorts of "ridiculous" stuff, and not feel that you're breaking the fluff.

Some examples of what I mean:

20-man Tactical squad, all with bolters. Maybe the Sarge has a powerfist, and maybe you attach an Apothecary to them. Huge Space marine squads are very fluffy IMO.

Terminators with Volkite weapons, or with combi-weapons and power mauls/axes. Besides the visual element, this helps them feel more distinct than their 40k counterparts.

10-man Support squads. Nothing gets as silly as fielding ten lascannons in one unit for example, but again fits perfectly well within the setting. My friend is doing a Thousand Sons squad just like this, and we both laughed when he told me how many points it was going to cost him to field! Actually, it's not completely silly to field these squads though, as even ten heavy bolters will put out a lot of hurt, and there are some pretty tough units in the 30k setting.

Breachers - Nothing like them in 40k. They are expensive in money and points, so widely not deemed very competitive, but they do okay if you don't ask too much of them. They also look extremely cool!

Destroyers - See Breachers above. Make sure you you get all the rad/phosphex options on the squad too.

Many FW tanks - too many to list completely here, but I'm thinking of things that don't have a direct 40k equivalent, or which you seldom see in 40k. So things like the Scorpius, Quad-rapier laser Vindicator, Spartan, Sicarius, Leviathian, Deredeo, etc. It looks like you have a fair few of these already though! :smile.:

So whilst there's nothing wrong with veteran squads or such (they are very good and have lots of fun options!), I do feel that if your force ends up closely resembling a 40k Battle Company (or Demi-Company), then you're probably missing out on some of the more entertaining things 30k has to offer.

What caused me to mention this was that Apologist's own forces typically feature big Tactical "Bolter Blobs"! :biggrin.:

Hello guys, 

thank you for awesome comments !

I mean I could have been little confusing; therefore let me explain a bit, I have bought the 30k BA force already (didn't build yet as I am waiting for the primarch :rolleyes: ) The models listed are models I potentially can use for other legion.

But you are completely right, I should go trough all books and finally find fluff that appeals to me the most. I have started with leaning towards Alpha Legion  than Emperor Children now I consider Wolfs (that I just completely dislike in 40k).

Anyways thank you very much

~BT

Hello guys, 

thank you for awesome comments !

I mean I could have been little confusing; therefore let me explain a bit, I have bought the 30k BA force already (didn't build yet as I am waiting for the primarch :rolleyes: ) The models listed are models I potentially can use for other legion.

But you are completely right, I should go trough all books and finally find fluff that appeals to me the most. I have started with leaning towards Alpha Legion  than Emperor Children now I consider Wolfs (that I just completely dislike in 40k).

Anyways thank you very much

~BT

Have you been reding about Iron Hands, Death Guard or Iron Warriors yet? Those would be some choices which are very different from Blood Angels and if you are a technical guy you might get interested in Iron Hands or Iron Warriors.

Death Guard is in a game style preferably footslogging relentlessly advancing force while Iron Hands often use mechanized infantry backed up with Dreads and tanks and Iron Warriors are often that static artillery gunline with supporting infantry.

I often think I've settled on a legion but then find that other legions method of warfare or unique units start calling to me and I don't like the idea of being boxed in by fixed style; are the Alpha Legion calling to me?

Im set on Blood Angels and Alpha Legion. I have enough 40k BA infantry, so would want a tank-ish company (obeying LA:BA rules).

I don't, however want to double buy all my tanks, so would a mostly on foot alpha legion force be a reasonable proposition? Some smaller Transports and dreads may be included here, but no superheavies.

Or is 30k locked into the "he who Typhon's first, Typhon's hardest" mindset, and taking mostly infantry will gimp my army.

Thanks for any insight!

Attitude depends totally on your group and might even vary amongst gaming group.

I have few opponents against who I can field whatever cheesy list I want but most of the guys are more into narrative games so I have to tailor my list to suit my opponents idea of the game.

I do like both competitive and narrative games and wouldn't go just for one of those styles.

If you are looking into tank force or mechanized infantry with tank support I would look into Iron Hands as they have best synergy in my opinion when it comes into tanks.

They can get outflank for tanks and also pseudo IWND on 6+ roll and if you take Ferrus then most of the tanks have IWND and blessed autosimulacra as well.

Their infantry is very resilient as they get -1 to strength of ranged weapons shooting at them and they are stubborn while on their own deployment zone.

You can actually get an army which is immune to bolter fire easily.

Found just the thread I need!

In a moment of laxity I bought some mk. III marines from the Prospero box and I'm feeling like it indeed just might spawn a lifetime of Heresy...

I have been going through the legions in my mind and the one I always end up with is Luna Wolves. Of course, there are some issues, and the biggest one is that at the time Heresy was in full swing and legion fought legion, the Luna Wolves were already Sons of Horus.

What I'm asking, basically, is for someone to tell me there is a backdoor for me to paint some Luna Wolves.

Yes there is:

Loyal SoH after Istvaan, who decided to turn from Horus and take on the old colors.

There were hundreds of smaller task forces far away from Istvaan, so that's the clue, why they could walk away.

Ruleswise you could play them as Blackshields (in white).

Yes there is:

Loyal SoH after Istvaan, who decided to turn from Horus and take on the old colors.

There were hundreds of smaller task forces far away from Istvaan, so that's the clue, why they could walk away.

That's what I needed to hear, thanks!

Yes there is:

You can also hedge your bets and combine SoH heraldry and markings with Luna Wolves heresy and markings. Inferno has a picture of a white SoH with some Luna Wolves markings along with SoH eyes etc. Then you can pick and choose when you want to go Traitor, when Loyalist and the ruleset as appropriate.

Edited by Demonl

Yes there is:

You can also hedge your bets and combine SoH heraldry and markings with Luna Wolves heresy and markings. Inferno has a picture of a white SoH with some Luna Wolves markings along with SoH eyes etc. Then you can pick and choose when you want to go Traitor, when Loyalist and the ruleset as appropriate.

Thanks! I also made a thread for some mini showcasing and more questions.

Or, and this is what I planned to do at some point, is paint them up as Luna Wolves, use the SoH rules, and run Loken as your HQ. The SoH rules are perfectly fine for running a LW based army and that includes using the Warmaster and their special units imo.