The Legion For You: Part Two, Electric Boogaloo!

Slips

If you want CC its WE or EC right now as full Legions with BA and WS close behind.

Mechanicum does giant shooty stompy robots better than CC robots but they have a few with a decent punch. You wont have a lot of them though.

If you want CC its WE or EC right now as full Legions with BA and WS close behind.

Mechanicum does giant shooty stompy robots better than CC robots but they have a few with a decent punch. You wont have a lot of them though.

EC are great but I'm not a massive fan of Fulgrim which is always the problem for me with them. Which is a real shame :( WE are great and Angron is killer so worth looking into.

It's a shame after seeing the armies at the event yesterday I'm really in love with Iron Warriors, but I don't want another simple shooty point and click army.

In terms of good CC robots is it just the Domitar and the new Arlatax?

I wonder how fun BA or WS are without rules though really.

In terms of CC MurderKillBots its pretty much just the Arlatax.

The rest can only ever move 6" in the Movement phase and cant take transports or any other real method of rapid deployment.

So yeah.

5 Per slot though at ~200 each.

+++

BA and WS have rule they just dont have units or characters.

+++

For EC, they do just fine without Fulgrim. He helps a lot since they're all about hitting First and then sweeping due to the amount of Combat Resolution and Charge Bonuses they have. You can do some pretty neat things with them though.

World Eaters are pretty much "Shove Dudes in Land Raiders or Pods, Drive Forward, Hit Stuff."

Edited by Slipstreams

Yeah which is boring. I mean I don't need the army to be ALL about CC either, just a strong element of it. As per our chat in the If tactics about having some Templar dudes used well etc.

WS are too much of a pain but the BA could be a lot of fun, never looked into them though.

And may have to look again at Mechanicum.

I have a quick question, what's the best way to include a Knight into a Legion list? Do I just have to bite the bullet and go with a Questoris detachment?

Yes. That's pretty much it. That said, an Allied Questoris attachment only requires two knights - one HQ and one Troop.

Yeah which is boring. I mean I don't need the army to be ALL about CC either, just a strong element of it. As per our chat in the If tactics about having some Templar dudes used well etc.

WS are too much of a pain 

Concerning White Scars, a pain to paint or play with? Playstyle is aggressive, but not all CC, lots of shooting going on too, and white armour doesn't have to be a chore. Mine's mainly white primer and a set of washes.

Hello, battlebrothers and sisters of silence. It's been a long time!

Long story short: I had drifted from the hobby for a time, but a local Horus Heresy League, and a friend who turned me on to the fact that Forgeworld had produced rulebooks for the Heresy has got me thinking about my favorite period of power armored people-with-sometimes-ridiculous-names again. I've already got Loyalist Word Bearers and Alpha Legion, but I'm thinking perhaps doing something new will get me in the spirit of things.

So, my basic request would be twofold.

First, as I have not played with the Word Bearers or Alpha Legion under a GW ruleset for nigh on three years now, and the FW books are TOTALLY new to me, I'd be most grateful for any suggestions to make them interesting. My Word Bearers are Loyalist, and I'd like to keep them that way, but otherwise I'm flexible. Nothing too fancy about the builds for either, but they look good, and I'm willing to add and subtract bits as necessary.

Second, I'm hoping perhaps, if you'll forgive my naivete, that some of you might be willing to suggest a new Legion project for me.

A few basic points of view

- The local league is Escalation format starting at 750, working up to, I believe, 2750-2900, somewhere in that range, so I don't mind starting small and working up.

- I like different and unusual, I'm more interested in playing for the strategic challenge and for love of the fluff, so I'm very flexible. However, while I don't need to be a jack of all trades, I don't tend to get along with "only one trick works particularly well with these troops" army builds. In other words, if they're really good at something, great, but I don't want to be the guy who's always got the same strategy for the same scenario, if that makes any sense. I know that might suggest someone as flexible as the Alphas, but I'm looking for something a bit different from my usual cup of tea. If it helps, I really love artillery and tanks, but I'm just as happy with an infantry heavy force if it's something I can play and have a good time with.  On the other hand, I'm not a big fan of horde armies, so... I don't know if that limits my options. (Again, I'm still very new to this incarnation of the rules.)

- I'm ok with Traitors or Loyalists.  However, the significant other already has Blood Angels, and has already claimed the Sons of Horus and the Space Wolves for her future projects.  I will be playing with others beyond just her of course, but I'd hate to duplicate efforts.  I'm least fond of the Emperor's Children, but I could be convinced even for them.. I've got a soft spot for Saul Tarvitz.

- Shattered Legions have been okayed with the League, but not all of the local players are crazy about them, and I'm concerned that a "with opponent's permission list" might get me some grief. 

Hope that helps somewhat. I look forward to any advice.:smile.:

Good to be back:)

-M.

Edited by Mithras

MakoBoy88, I would definitely take a look at Night Lords! They got a nice buff with the Age of Darkness Legions update, and offer everything you're looking for.

Terror Assault is where it's at: Curze + Raptors, Terror Squads with volkite chargers, and an anti-tank option should form the basis of it.

Hello, battlebrothers and sisters of silence. It's been a long time!

Long story short: I had drifted from the hobby for a time, but a local Horus Heresy League, and a friend who turned me on to the fact that Forgeworld had produced rulebooks for the Heresy has got me thinking about my favorite period of power armored people-with-sometimes-ridiculous-names again. I've already got Loyalist Word Bearers and Alpha Legion, but I'm thinking perhaps doing something new will get me in the spirit of things.

So, my basic request would be twofold.

First, as I have not played with the Word Bearers or Alpha Legion under a GW ruleset for nigh on three years now, and the FW books are TOTALLY new to me, I'd be most grateful for any suggestions to make them interesting. My Word Bearers are Loyalist, and I'd like to keep them that way, but otherwise I'm flexible. Nothing too fancy about the builds for either, but they look good, and I'm willing to add and subtract bits as necessary.

Second, I'm hoping perhaps, if you'll forgive my naivete, that some of you might be willing to suggest a new Legion project for me.

A few basic points of view

- The local league is Escalation format starting at 750, working up to, I believe, 2750-2900, somewhere in that range, so I don't mind starting small and working up.

- I like different and unusual, I'm more interested in playing for the strategic challenge and for love of the fluff, so I'm very flexible. However, while I don't need to be a jack of all trades, I don't tend to get along with "only one trick works particularly well with these troops" army builds. In other words, if they're really good at something, great, but I don't want to be the guy who's always got the same strategy for the same scenario, if that makes any sense. I know that might suggest someone as flexible as the Alphas, but I'm looking for something a bit different from my usual cup of tea. If it helps, I really love artillery and tanks, but I'm just as happy with an infantry heavy force if it's something I can play and have a good time with.  On the other hand, I'm not a big fan of horde armies, so... I don't know if that limits my options. (Again, I'm still very new to this incarnation of the rules.)

- I'm ok with Traitors or Loyalists.  However, the significant other already has Blood Angels, and has already claimed the Sons of Horus and the Space Wolves for her future projects.  I will be playing with others beyond just her of course, but I'd hate to duplicate efforts.  I'm least fond of the Emperor's Children, but I could be convinced even for them.. I've got a soft spot for Saul Tarvitz.

- Shattered Legions have been okayed with the League, but not all of the local players are crazy about them, and I'm concerned that a "with opponent's permission list" might get me some grief. 

Hope that helps somewhat. I look forward to any advice.:smile.:

Good to be back:)

-M.

Would the new project have to be a legion? from what you're saying I imagine you'd very much enjoy mechanicum and I recommend you look into them.

Clank

• 2 weeks later...

Any Legion, really, can perform a Jack of All Trades list well. They're still Marines at the end of the day.

They just get bonuses/drawbacks focusing on a specific method of play. And Word Bearers have probably the most lenient LA rule in terms of combat preferences with only forcing a 2nd HQ and Improved Morale (3d6 take the 2 lowest) alongside no real unit restrictions.

It will restrict your choice of RoW however.

Any Legion, really, can perform a Jack of All Trades list well. They're still Marines at the end of the day.

They just get bonuses/drawbacks focusing on a specific method of play. And Word Bearers have probably the most lenient LA rule in terms of combat preferences with only forcing a 2nd HQ and Improved Morale (3d6 take the 2 lowest) alongside no real unit restrictions.

It will restrict your choice of RoW however.

Cheers slipstreams im going to be using either orbital assault or pride of the legion or possibly no rite due to this army being a 30k/40k crossover

I'm a fan of POTL, personally, since Sniper Vets are pretty solid in my books.

But, they're also a very flexible unit whose main drawbacks are 3+ Armor and skyrocketing Cost if you want them to run at peak efficiency. (Furious Charge CC vets want an Assault Vehicle, for example).

Gla Vorbak are also an amazing unit with their Sergeant essentially being a Consul....but better due to Ws5, S5, T5, W3, A3 and the option for a Power Fist...that can Rend since they have the Rending Rule squadwide. Say Hello to S7 Rending Power Mauls while you're at it.

+++

OA is much more Troop/Dread Focused since you obviously can't take any tanks but it has the added benefit of getting you where you want ASAP.

10 Seekers w/ 10 Combi-Plas Podding next to their Marked Target (Preferred Enemy) in Rapid Fire Range? Expensive, but deliciously nasty. Also, thanks to Scorpius Bolts (S4, Ap4, Shred, Rending) they can even tackle Av13 if you fish for enough 6s (4+6+d3 = max 13).

It also lets you straight up deepstrike Terminators for more combi goodness. Add in some Nuncio-Voxes on your squads who drop in first for a 6" No-Scatter Bubble....for everything else Deepstriking in.

Take Leviathans to MURDER anything whether it be AV (Drill and Melta Lance) or Toughness Values (Claw and Grav) with the added benefit of liberal phosphex application and you're in a happy place as you watch the world burn, essentially.

Take other dreads, also in pods, with 2CCW with in-built Grav Guns for 2 Haywire Blasts each and Tanks are even less of a problem.

The main issue is Reserves Manipulation which gets realllllly tricky when you cant take Damocles Rhinos, LR Proteus w/ Exploratory or Aegis w/ Comms.

+++

It goes without saying, however, that whatever rabbit hole you go down, I really do hope you're not too attached to any redundant organs you've got. Because really, whats an extra kidney and lung compared to Resin-Crack? dont actually sell body parts to fuel your addiction.

Edited by Slipstreams

To be fair, you can easily stack your bog-standard infantry with non-resin now, so the addiction isn't quite as strong. :tongue.:

Are Destroyer's and the Ashen Circle a practical unit to take in a CCW Word Bearer's army? I've not seen anyone run the former, however there seems to be a bit of a mixed debate over the practicality of the latter.

I don't have much of an opinion on Ashen Circle since I just played a game that had 2 10 man Squads and, due to horrible rolling from my opponent, 5 of them died taking Dangerous Terrain.

Destroyers are there to bully weaker units or soften up larger targets for dedicated squads, imo.

WS are too much of a pain but the BA could be a lot of fun, never looked into them though.

And may have to look again at Mechanicum.

Little late to answer I know, but have you considered waiting for the Wolves in Autumn? They're set to not be as cartoonishly wolfy as their 40k version is now, and Leman Russ is just so awesome!

It'd also offer an interesting change in mentality, between the Imperial Fists steadfast, disciplined and noble nature and the Wolves' brutal yet cunning savagery :) A contrast that would not be as significant when compared with the Blood Angels.

Edited by Lord Thørn

I'm not sure if anyone else has come across them yet, however POP Goes the Monkey are a great little shop on shapeways that produce a variety of shoulder pads (MKII through VII, Cataphractii, Indomitus, etc) suitable for Great Crusade/Heresy/Scouring stuff. Here's an example of some Word Bearers Cataphractii shoulder pads they've made.

If anyone remains unconvinced, I'll probably try to nab a few soon to try them out. I've had a mixed relationship with shapeways in the past, however they've definitely improved recently.

I'm not sure if anyone else has come across them yet, however POP Goes the Monkey are a great little shop on shapeways that produce a variety of shoulder pads (MKII through VII, Cataphractii, Indomitus, etc) suitable for Great Crusade/Heresy/Scouring stuff. Here's an example of some Word Bearers Cataphractii shoulder pads they've made.

If anyone remains unconvinced, I'll probably try to nab a few soon to try them out. I've had a mixed relationship with shapeways in the past, however they've definitely improved recently.

Some interesting stuff, but they'll be getting flak from GW if they're not careful.

So the heresy bug bit me, and I'm experiencing a fair amount of Legion ADD right now. My plan is for a dual use army to represent not only my 30k army but their successors in the 40k environment. What I am wanting to do is a Loyalist warband from one of the traitor legions. I've been working on Loyalist Iron Warriors but I've run out of steam on them for a number of reasons:

1)I find their unique units a tad lackluster in terms of character, by way of context, I find Reaver Attack Squads and Death Shroud for example very characterful

2)Their paint scheme. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but I like it to the point that I can't bring myself to adapt it to my own unique version to represent a later Loyalist chapter as well. That and I'm tired of painting silver, seriously, both my previous chapter (which most of my marines are already painted as anyway, I've got about 4500 points before upgrades) and my Necrons are painted in silver. So yeah.

3)Their culture to me is a bit too bland, for context I've been a longtime space wolves fan ever since I was introduced to them by a friend, they have such deep lore to me (it helps I like the Norse) and the individuality of each warrior really appeals to me

So in regards to my fluff, hobby and play style preferences here's a summary

• I like the Mechanicum, ever since reading the book Mechanicum I've fallen in love with the AdMech, it helps that I love technology, this is what partially drew me to the IW (that and The Iron Within from Age of Darkness)
  • I need to be drawn to the culture, I like the Romanesqueness of the Legions in general, but I prefer the depth of more barbaric cultures, like the Vikings
  • Kitbashing opportunities, this is really important to me and a key reason why I've fallen out over the IW, they're too uniform for my taste, I like pelts and the like on my marines
  • My playstyle tends towards balanced, reactive play. I tend to prefer to either A)React to my opponents actions or B)Given them an overwhelming number of threats to mess up their target priority. In terms of individual unit types, I like dreadnoughts, tanks and assaulty units (case in point, Thunder wolf Cav are my favorite unit in 40k)
  • The legion needs to have a relatively easily adaptable paint scheme

Onto the legions that I'm toying with:

• The Iron Warriors: Their paint scheme and greek/persian background, plus their mechanical expertise, I LOVE the mechanicum and their obsession with Artillery
  • The Iron Hands: Similar reasons to the above, I also like their lore quite a bit more than the Iron Warriors, but their loyalists so that kinda defeats the purpose of my project. Though I like their Gorgon Termies
  • The Night Lords: Really the only reason why they're here is because of the nostraman chainblade and their ability to teleport termies, also they're assaulty
  • The Death Guard: Would modify the dusk raiders scheme, but I like their lore. Truthfully they're here primarily because of the Deathshroud
  • World Eaters: Erm well I like their paint scheme, but I'm not a huge fan of not being able to take red butchers ( i like the modelling opportunities this could present)
  • The Luna Wolves: They're pre heresy Paint scheme, background and while I get that the justaerin are expensive, I like them and the Reavers
  • The Alpha Legion: All I like is their paint and the fact they have unique termies, well the fact that I adore the book Legion helps too

So that about sums up what I'm looking for and the general things i like about each legion that i'm actually interested in. I apologize if its a tad incoherent, ordering my thoughts on this project has been a tad difficult