My Temple of the Hydra (30K Alpha Legion WIPs and more)

ak1508

Hello dear forum members!

I have finally managed to get some things done and thus decided to start my topic, as more interesting things will be coming soon!

In this thread, you will mostly see my work on my favourite legion of all - Alpha Legion! But along the lines, I will post other legion marine stuff here as well. Although AL will be the main spotlight here.

I hope you enjoy it and will be happy to see what you guys think and if it gives anybody inspiration - even better! If not - then wishing best of luck in finding what you're looking for! Hobby is a journey :) 

Anyways, here is the link to my First test of paint on my Al colour scheme. This is done just using old marine models as proxies:

http://ak1508.deviantart.com/art/Alpha-Legion-Pre-Heresy-Colour-Test-1-597389557

PS: please remind me how to actually make the pictures visible when uploading links? thank you very much!

You have to use a site like photobucket, at least from my experience, to copy and paste the image. That blue/green is nice and smooth. Looks like the start of a ridiculously awesome looking army.

Using the picture from your Deviant art:

http://pre04.deviantart.net/67fb/th/pre/f/2016/078/7/4/alpha_legion_pre_heresy_colour_test_1_by_ak1508-d9vo4qd.jpg

I got this by: Right-Click -> Open Image in new tab -> Copy Url -> Paste into Image pop up (between the Unlink and <code> options) in the B&C Text Editor.

@Slipstreams Thanks a lot! gonna try this out when I do the next image post here! I might probably do a vid soon when i do couple more test paint schemes.

@betrayer41 Thanks very much! I also did a test for Night Lords, Smurfs (Ultras) and Iron Hands (although this one could possibly pass up as Blackshields, which is one of the armies I intend to do as well at some point).

@Rayray Thank you! The most difficult part is yet to come - saving up money for the very much needed models (will cost me around 500 quid or so to do a 3K pts AL!). 

@Slipstreams Thanks a lot! gonna try this out when I do the next image post here! I might probably do a vid soon when i do couple more test paint schemes.

@betrayer41 Thanks very much! I also did a test for Night Lords, Smurfs (Ultras) and Iron Hands (although this one could possibly pass up as Blackshields, which is one of the armies I intend to do as well at some point).

@Rayray Thank you! The most difficult part is yet to come - saving up money for the very much needed models (will cost me around 500 quid or so to do a 3K pts AL!). 

Is the iron hands the clear smoke recipe?

betrayer, no I dont think so. I just used one of my satin/shiny black paints, then matt varnish on top to not make it look like it just came out of shower, next thing was just the detailing. The bright blue glowing eyes, pads trimmed with warplock bronze + runelord brass on the endges. The main shoulder pad area is done with a slob painting of watered down warplock bronze, then repeated with runelord brass and when dry, use a green tint wash to apply some thin layers. Thats what i did anyway. The problem with these tests is, they arent done on the actual models that represent the respective legions, but to get the feel for it - this is the best and cheapest way to do it. Make use of some stacked up bitz that yu arent selling and arent using for anything. 

Going to try out some painting techniques for the burnt weapon barrel tips as well later on

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My most recent Alpha Legion work. These are no longer proxies but the actual guys for my army:

http://pre11.deviantart.net/d8ef/th/pre/f/2016/110/f/7/pre_heresy_alpha_legion_1_by_ak1508-d9zogme.jpg

Top left and bottom right are my command squad guys, the other ones are the first painted vet squad. Command squad is still expecting a banner to arrive and more pics with more stuff will come soon! Let me know what ya'll think! ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

Great scheme, but please lose the mold lines, IT IS MADNESS!

On the first set? I looked at ak's second picture for ten minutes, and I couldn't find a fault in the awesomeness that are those alpha legionnaires.

On the first set? I looked at ak's second picture for ten minutes, and I couldn't find a fault in the awesomeness that are those alpha legionnaires.

Thank you!!

Mate, the mould lines are from the minis that are like 100+ years old, sat in my bitz box and are only proxies to test the colour scheme before applying it to my actual things. But thanks for noticing, we all strive to improve (no sarcasm!) ;) 

Wow the guy on the bottom right is amazing! Great use of the awesome XX legion bits

Ta! Who doesn't like XX :D 

Looks awesome. Why'd you get that trident?

EDC

Did you mean "where" or actually meant "why"?

Beyond happy to see for real models from you. Great shade of turquoise and remarkably smooth. Like the bronze contrasts as well.

Thanks very much! More will be coming soon once all the guests (they have 3 kids who wreck everything in their path!) left, I will do another squad and sort out the banner for the cmd squad!

Urgh your making far to much progress. I much preferred the lack of work you were doing last year. I'm going to actually have to paint something if I'm going to be ready for our game.

They look really great mate, is that your own scenery you took the pics on?

@The Hydra, haha! I only done one squad so far, and I still got to paint my 2nd vet squad, a kheres mortis, a praetor and a banner for my cmd squad! And still got to build and paint my 6-man meltagun squad, build and paint my "Boba-Fett" moritat + save up money and grab hold of a Glaive, 2x thud guns, scorpius and a Levi with a drop pod! And thats just for my basic 3K list! So, in other words, you got plenty of time to catch up with me :D 

My most recent Alpha Legion work. These are no longer proxies but the actual guys for my army:

http://pre11.deviantart.net/d8ef/th/pre/f/2016/110/f/7/pre_heresy_alpha_legion_1_by_ak1508-d9zogme.jpg

Top left and bottom right are my command squad guys, the other ones are the first painted vet squad. Command squad is still expecting a banner to arrive and more pics with more stuff will come soon! Let me know what ya'll think! msn-wink.gif

I love the fact they are (seemingly) caucasian, but more the bronzed (persian or central asian?) colour Abnett suggested? Or am i misreading?

EDC

Whoops. I did mean 'where', I'm going to blame autocorrect and stupid hands for that :), the why is obvious (it lookks awesome!)

EDC

EDC

Whoops. I did mean 'where', I'm going to blame autocorrect and stupid hands for that smile.png, the why is obvious (it lookks awesome!)

EDC

I believe it came from WH Fantasy bits, probably dark elves, but I cant remeber for sure. Could also be Dark eldar, so I would browse bits for both just to be safe :)

May I demand more pictures of your command squad?

I suppose you meant "ask", but nevertheless, the answer is YES, but once I fix up the banner and then will do a shot of each individual member ;)

Top left and bottom right are my command squad guys, the other ones are the first painted vet squad. Command squad is still expecting a banner to arrive and more pics with more stuff will come soon! Let me know what ya'll think! msn-wink.gif

I love the fact they are (seemingly) caucasian, but more the bronzed (persian or central asian?) colour Abnett suggested? Or am i misreading?

I think he meant the bronze parts of the mask, but the skin tone did come out more caucasian or middle east asian actually, since I used Kislev Flesh for it, rather than Cadian Flesh :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello my dear fellow legionaries! 

I have something for you, enjoy!

http://pre08.deviantart.net/0cf3/th/pre/f/2016/158/1/1/pre_heresy_alpha_legion_vet_squad_2_by_ak1508-da5bibd.jpg

http://pre03.deviantart.net/6d13/th/pre/f/2016/158/e/5/pre_heresy_alpha_legion_support_squads_by_ak1508-da5bia1.jpg

http://pre06.deviantart.net/216c/th/pre/f/2016/158/1/c/pre_heresy_alpha_legion_praetor_by_ak1508-da5bi8l.jpg

http://pre10.deviantart.net/bde5/th/pre/f/2016/158/e/b/pre_heresy_alpha_legion_contemptor_mortis_dread_by_ak1508-da5bi6x.jpg

http://pre00.deviantart.net/90ba/th/pre/f/2016/158/0/4/pre_heresy_alpha_legion_command_squad_by_ak1508-da5bi51.jpg

Archived