November IX WIP Thread: And now 3d Printing Pistols of unusual size

First off, that is awesome!

Secondly, do you have a whole garage/shop? And thirdly...a Maserati? Quattroporte?

I saw the GT and the sneaky pete stickers and then I saw everything in the background...

Thank you, and to the first question, yes/kinda sorta, my elder brother owns the building, I more or less have a corner of my own, but we are a full service repair and customization shop (Deviate Autosport for those who wanna check it out), I do plan, one of these long holiday weekends, on setting up a massive All-Texas B&C meet up game/s (we have a pretty massive show room and a fair amount of parking).

As for the Maserati, a client brought it in for wheel repair, he done smacked something hard ;) Now that you got me thinking about it I should probably start planning that Labor Day game and post up some pictures....

I noticed the NERV glass. Are you a fan of 'Neon Genesis Evangelion'? Do you have any Dreadnoughts, Helbrutes, Knights, or Battlesuits based on the Evangelions?

I’m a huge Eva fan! One of my shelves is dedicated to just the different Manga and figures (I’ve also got a first run Viz American style comic with Misato and a Honda Cub on the cover!). Ironically the first time I walked into a GW the initial thought I had was, “how can I fit Evangelions into this”, a redshirt there had a few ideas ;)

Serendipitously it was Eva that got me back into 40K 15 years later with the fanfic Shinji and Warhammer 40K. While I’ve yet to merge the two, it’s still in the back of my mind, maybe Adeptus Titanicus will end up helping with that. I will say though it’s part of the reason my Knight House is a Matriarchy. Admittedly I try to make small references, in one of my Iron Gauntlet challenge pieces I have a pair of dreadnought arguing about “best” girl, Ayanami or Shikinami (they’re fans of rebuild, poor Sohryu) when a captain comes in a settles it by claiming Makinami is “best”. I fully admit to my geekdom :D

Edited by NovemberIX

That's a pretty nice set up. The business is a familiar name and I swear I have seen that sticker on a car while out and about in Houston. Austin has some great cars and goodies but there is a lot more of it in Houston I believe. I also checked out the site too and it looks to be a sweet shop.

I remember there was talk about a Lone Star meet up some time ago but nothing came out of it. Which was a bummer!

So I wanna start with some ETL progress. The first of the veteran squads.

opZWsl6.jpg

There's a reason for the white helmets, this time around I'm trying something a little different. Normally I just give them a stripe and go with one of a few color patterns I've been using, though, this time I want them to earn their colors in game. It's a thing I'd like to work thematically into the upcoming Kairos Intervention project I'll be a part of. To be fair by the end of ETL I could decide different and end up doing the stripes anyway, who knows! For now thought, my grav-gun guys are ready for battle.

Last week I had started on a journey of etching glass and making my own custom barware, the last project I completed was in service to a pun. Ikea makes a mug/tankard called Mjod, so....

ulEHuNQ.jpg

tFq3uqp.jpg

...yeah, a space wolves Emblem and Russ in runic. The runic is a bit hard to read because of the lighting, but it etched in really nicely.

The last pictures i wanna post up are some of the location of the possible Labor Day Lone Star Meet up at Deviate Autosport.

FTIRwzK.jpg

7iT3pAa.jpg

Apoc will never have been so comfortable :wink:

Edited by NovemberIX

The etch looks great! Would making the font of the runic lettering ruin the look and spacing you have? It looks great but to give it more visibility I wonder if you could go a bit bigger in the future.

• 10 months later...

This last weekend was the 24 Hours of LeMans, as in years past, I enjoy the race along with getting some painting done. The day started with laying down large blocks of yellow, at some point I realized I was gonna be faster and get a smoother coat if I just disassembled all the rhinos (the benefits of not using glue!) and weapon systems.

sVMYYGn.jpg
Not pictured, the live timing and scoring monitor, and another in car stream. I was having the time of my life!

One of the benefits of painting this way is I could essentially turn my brain off, though it does more or less preclude the taking of any meaningful in progress pictures since it was mechanically like popping potato chips, reach into the pile grab something, slather on the yellow, put it down to dry and repeat till about 3 AM local when much like the pit teams at Le Sarthe I too needed a nap.

wB69gTx.jpg

Progress

Most of Sunday was spent away from the modeling table, but time was found to start laying down some metallic layers.

0CV8hno.jpg

All the Kromlech stuff is pretty cool!

There's still a bit of ways to go, but I'm happy to be putting paint to model and seeing even minor results. Next up are more blocks of color, and my favorite bit, shading!

• 3 months later...

So I'm a lazy git who never updates anything. Getting all the painting and writing done before the end of ETLVII took all my facilities, abilities, and even some utilities. Thus when I posted these pics up over in the Liber, I never did get around to posting them in my own WIP thread. Now with a bit more time on my side, I present Task Force Sylphy.

s3fSzAd.jpg

Lead by a Techmarine on a Bike Sylphy was put together so i could finally repaint a number of models that weren't painted to "November Standard". It was also a great chance to add in some new units via Kromlech's conversion bits. 

RTOfFPC.jpg

Starting with the whirlwinds, these we're in desperate need of a repaint, the chassis were multi-colored and stuck out like a sore thumb. The missiles were a variety of colors, and the launcher for the Hyperios was straight up the wrong color. Thank the Emperor for white primer.

nR9z1iH.jpg

So, the real impetus for me doing ETL. Earlier in the year (or possibly around this time last year) I had put in an order with Kromlech for a bunch of interesting bits. Most specifically the Scorpio Turret. From the time I saw it, I knew I wanted to make a "modernized" Scorpius to go along with the FW one I'd eventually order. That lead to ordering their Assault Tank Turret with Magma gun (aka a Magna Melta) and a Radar dish (along with a few other things like the hatch mounted twin thunder guns and the techmarine below).

Speaking of the Radar dish, it really is a nice cheap and easy way of making a Damocles without the guilt of not painting the interior pieces. I also feel that it looks a bit better as well. 

For my counts as Deimos Infernus, I used a baal predator I rescued from ebay as a base, while some of the models could just be repainted, the baal needed to actually be sanded such was the state it was in. After taking it apart, I shuffled some of the pieces around to other units. I may go back at some point to figure out what to use the original GW turret for, but this kromlech one pretty much supersedes the GW plastic in all respects, and makes a great modernized Deimos.

uzKQrzk.jpg

I know the techmarine on a bike has been relegated to the index, but it didn't change my plans to add some much needed mobility to my corps of techmarines. Kromlech again provided an awesome modeling alternative. I did swap out their "thunder guns" for some bolter bits from a DA Dark Talon's Storm bolters, cut off the exhausts they used and replaced them with censer bits from the old basilica terrain kit.

yIjrjNk.jpg

I've had Thunderfire Cannons and Rapier Quad Mortars for a while, so when kromlech started showing off their tractor based weapons, I was already looking pretty forward to ordering their version of one. But after I used one of my fellblades in a game, and saw how effective the Quad Lascannons were, I changed my mind pretty quickly to add in another counts as unit. Rapiers come with a pair of gunners who really  don't have any options other than pistols, so I took the chance to use the hands from the Devastator kit to make some rather interesting marines. Everyone has a pointing marine, but how many can say they have a shrugging marine?

NYf42ZH.jpg

I love the Deredeo dreadnoughts, and I really wanted one with the Arachnus Lascannon Battery, there's not a whole lot else to say other than I wish that someday they make all the FW dreads in multipart plastic.

4C8wMit.jpgThe last unit to close it out is the unit that pretty much completes my airforce. This one was built to be a pure kinetic killer, for those of you who play Ace Combat 7 this is my 40K take on Triggers MiG-21bIS with machine gun pods.

With ETL done, I can start looking onward to a few other projects, I've got Scions and Skitarii on the docket, along with a couple more knights, a bunch of bikes, oodles of terrain, and the upcoming release of the plastic SoB, which all means one thing really. I still have a lot of yellow and blue to put down!

• 2 years later...

So, I've been "away" for a while, partly because some new work projects, partly as a break from 40K in general, and partly because I've spent months focusing on 3d models of Sil-80's and "another Enterprises". The time also gave me a chance to readjust how my army is displayed. Given that it's November Warriors day, I thought this would be a good time to display said display. It's a structural hazard of bookshelves on bookshelves, it's a firehazard of badly routed puck light wires, and just a bit of a safety hazard with magnet held polycarbonate to keep out the dust and inquisitive cats.

Generally I like to keep the lights low, during the day I keep the room in blue, at night red, but for the most part the display lights are set to warm white and at their lowest setting.

6sa6g7P.jpg

Occasionally though, full task lighting is on, so full intensity keeps the models from being in shade.

AGMNvc8.jpg

Tangentially, yes, the blanket on my recliner is one of my marine banners, as is the scarf hiding the lights of my modem it's good to be with someone who can crochet :biggrin.: the small shelf of shame behind belies a pile much much worse.

blN1Ryu.jpg

More shelves will probably be added making space for all the infantry scale models that aren't up yet, but for now, I'm pretty tickled at the low rent great-value brand museum knock off feeling I get every time I look at it.

DXLnqde.jpg

Edited by NovemberIX

• 9 months later...

I have a pile of shame I should work on shrinking, but like most everyone here, that pile continues to grow, and with the upcoming releases of the squats and the new Imperial Navy kill team I really should be modeling and painting.

But I'm not.

No instead, I figured it was time to finish defining the Symbology of the various factions of the November IX so I can prepare some decal sheets. Thus I took what I already had and dove back deep into my back catalogue of geekery to raid it for references.

Without much further ado, a logo that can already be see in my profile banner, and the basis for a somewhat detailed 3d model, the Inquisitorial Rosette of the Ordo Chronos.

1496092052_OrdoChronos.thumb.png.2226f9034e9afd59eeaef49d7e84e816.png

A lot of the iconography is taken/used for other factions in the IX. The top serif of the I is a bit of a trek reference, sort of a "once you see it" thing.

It's pretty abundantly clear what my main army is, what isn't is it's iconography, and that's mostly cause I never full settled on one thing.

857729371_NovemberWarriors.thumb.png.be2151c59140200f466de21924222074.png

The genesis of the November Warriors has roots in the Ace Combat series of games, so it's only right that their iconography reflects that. I've tried freehanding the Mobius ribbon and the ISAF Arrowhead, the results were less that perfect. All of the Roundels were recolored to fit the theme with the exception of the Sapin one on the bottom that was already the right colors! It also acted as the basis for the next set of graphics....

Knight houses tend to have really heraldic designs, so I figured I'd try my hand at that.

Garaipena.thumb.png.06eae652c02bdc6aa18f3c395c3e097f.png

This heraldry does include a few elements from other factions, but started first with the 40K'd Dove, a reference to the band Thursday. In the lore the grand matriarch of the house is known as the Thrice-Blessed, hence the 3 doves. I'm still debating on replacing all the heraldry shields on my current knights with ones that have the heraldry from the smaller shields, I guess part of it depends on if I get around to creating more designs and getting them tied into the story.

Above you can see a cog emblem that looks like it might be from a Forge world. Here's how my AdMech army uses it!

Kantariss.thumb.png.e994dfbe1740777fde4dc0d104153dbf.png

The logo started with the Clockwork bits from Chrono Trigger, then came the ϰ which coincidentally looks like a reverse N to me.  Add some gears and a font that makes an s look like an upside down 5 and here's where I ended up. In a further coincidence Kappa is usually used to denote the Gravitational constant, and the warriors are quite fond of Grav weapons...

One of the most recent logos done is that for my sisters of battle.

1532200022_FrozenFlamerev1.thumb.png.2fc4a9c64c915b692f9edc620f85e48a.png

The name is a reference to a McGuffin in the Chrono Trigger sequel, Chrono Cross.  The cross and chain design itself is based on the emblem for the Virtuoid Idol, Sharon Apple, from Macross Plus. The flames are a scratch design but the Alternate emblem is from a currently running anime, that I felt fit theme wise. There's more subtle references and call backs, some of them stealthier than others.

The last of the factions I currently have models for are my IG/Scions.

766930456_LightningRiders.thumb.png.f608480fc9f1859267a329e6343f5897.png

I've been a longtime fan of Halo, and more specifically the ODSTs. So cross the kill team logo with the Helljumper skull and throw on a Starfleet command emblem as a falling star and what you get is this!

If I'm gonna have ODSTs, then they need a way to get place to place, and that's where the Imperial Navy comes in.

Aegir.thumb.png.4ad085d62b93513a6b62e7e07f328bd1.png

Named for the invincible fleet that gets attacked in Ace Combat 4, the Ouroboros is from the faction of the same name from Ace Combat 3, the lower emblem is the UN Spacy emblem from Macross.

The impending release of the squats, sorry, Votann, I knew that it was time to work out how their "runes" would end up looking.

Comberth.thumb.png.405e8a804c5a60389dc7cb09e6d777ad.png

The shape of the 'rune' was inspired the efini logo for the Mazda RX7, the previously shown mobius ribbon, and an even older quartered design I've been using for years. The font used was chosen again because the S looked like a 5, and when paired with the C worked way to well to ignore.

This is the last emblem I've worked on, and expect to use. Referring again to the "lore", the IX have need of some rather specific and distinct psykers.

Choirs.thumb.png.c4bafcb3ea1731fc50221c3b322dc140.png

This emblem has two main influences, Halo, specifically the Office of Naval Intelligence, and the Mulians of RahXephon, who themselves are influenced by pre-colonial Nahuatl culture. I honestly don't really expect to have to use this as a decal too many times, since it's supposed to represent a non-combat force, but you never know what new models GW will come out with, and it doesn't hurt to have it on hand.

These are all probably gonna go through a few more drafts, and of course more than a few will have simplified single color versions, but I was pretty happy hit a milestone of sorts. and finally present it to the wider BnC!

Edited by NovemberIX

• 2 months later...

Last year I posted my miniatures shelves as I had them more or less completed. Excepting infantry, they held most of my models, but there was a certain jankiness to it. My wife, long suffering and more intelligent than I'll ever be, decided that it was finally time for the both of us to organize our hobbies. So after squaring away enough yarn to make a sheep sweat it was my turn.

Uguz0Rv.jpg

After building the shelves, and installing the self inserts, glass and otherwise, I began the wiring process. Straightforward, and even simple, but not easy. The lights were grouped by section, left, right, center and LED glass.

1DH3ZkE.jpg

I do spend a lot of time working on digital graphics, so a low impact lighting was also important. It does make the occasional late night much more pleasant.

1NBdWYM.jpg

h2n2meG.jpg

The shelf in it's full glory, the pucks lights are same as previous, so there's a range of warm to cool white, but now the shelf LED's add even more light. The overhead lights are usually off, so a warmer light is often appreciated.

KkyYbGW.jpg

And here's the full Vegas, color LEDs maxed out, sides set to warm white, and the center stack on cool.

VWkVHtm.jpg

Replacing all my shelves meant it was time to reorganize the futureproof pile. I personally like being able to see what projects are in the pipeline and if there's any gaps to fill.

sDRCTxj.jpg

As with all things on the internet, a cat tax must be paid, this little floofy dude has already tried to hang out with the Knight Titans and didn't quite make it all the way up. Here's to hoping he doesn't try to sit in the shelves too much more often :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

Sometimes, you take a long break, you don't really paint, or put things together, maybe a halfhearted attempt here and there, might even get a bit of a project done, but for the most part your brushes are dry, and your are paints slowly doing the same. It gets hard to find the motivation to sit down at the table again, but then an elder sibling buys you a new knight, and buddy orders a 3d printer for you to run for him and you start to feel the pull again. But this isn't that story, at least, not quite yet. This is just before those things get done, this is when I decide to dive in headfirst.

Qjkb689.jpg

I've had this guy for a while and have meant to paint him up for years, it was only after getting the next model that I finally primed the both of them. He follows the scheme of my other chaplains whose armor are also similarly mostly yellow with black accents.

pQWXduQ.jpg

I have a weird thing where I only paint librarians and chaplains together, and this guy was the result. It turns out having a 3d printer was useful here. I normally don't like bare heads, and if at all possible I'll replace the head with a helmet. Except the only terminator helmet I had left over was one with a bionic eye that wouldn't fit into the psychic hood. So 3d printer to the rescue. I'd much rather use the combi-melta is came with, but with the helmet position made it looks like it's taking a no-look snap shot off to the side.

TBwNA1N.jpg

I've had this model for years, and I've mostly just ignored it since I cared more about the Macrotek Servitors than the tech-priest themselves. But I've since played Mechanicus, and I've learned of the weakness of flesh. Also it was in the same bin with the terminators, so it also got some paint. I feel like there's still more to do, but for 10 minutes of slapping on color, it's progress.

lzoJYFd.jpg

bgWFUxX.jpg

I'm not taking boxnaughts being sent to legends well. For now, I'm gonna try and complete a few more mortis dreads and then we'll see what I decide from there. Needless to say though, this is just the start of working on walkers again.

Thank you for the kind words!

-----

I did mention the 3d printer a few times, and while we know people tend to use them to print either mini's or terrain, I had a slightly different idea....

VQPlqU9.jpg

Ever since grav became a thing, I've had a special love for it in my heart, I've got at least 2 squads of Vanguard vets that rock the pistols, so I figured I needed one for myself.

PZcvWXP.jpg

As with the grav, I've always had a bit of love for the melta pistol, but I their use cases were rare to this point. Still though, who doesn't want an infernus pistol of their own?

sV1vKoD.jpg

Honestly, this all started because years ago I got a Plasma Pistol as a winter gift, now I realize the scales are different, but for a proof of print, I think they've worked out rpetty alright and are ready for scale up to match.