Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

November IX WIP Thread: Shelves on Novemberine Day

NOV9 apocalpyse NOVIX Army Shots

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

hushrong

hushrong

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,484 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

First off, that is awesome!

Secondly, do you have a whole garage/shop? And thirdly...a Maserati? Quattroporte?

I saw the GT and the sneaky pete stickers and then I saw everything in the background...

Black Legion: The Fire Rises

Dornian Heresy: Iron Hands Raiders

Alpha Legion: The Heads of the Hydra Strike

Emperor's Children: Cult of Golden Tears

NovemberIX

NovemberIX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,103 posts
  • Faction: November Warriors
Thank you, and to the first question, yes/kinda sorta, my elder brother owns the building, I more or less have a corner of my own, but we are a full service repair and customization shop (Deviate Autosport for those who wanna check it out), I do plan, one of these long holiday weekends, on setting up a massive All-Texas B&C meet up game/s (we have a pretty massive show room and a fair amount of parking).

As for the Maserati, a client brought it in for wheel repair, he done smacked something hard ;) Now that you got me thinking about it I should probably start planning that Labor Day game and post up some pictures....

I noticed the NERV glass. Are you a fan of 'Neon Genesis Evangelion'? Do you have any Dreadnoughts, Helbrutes, Knights, or Battlesuits based on the Evangelions?

I’m a huge Eva fan! One of my shelves is dedicated to just the different Manga and figures (I’ve also got a first run Viz American style comic with Misato and a Honda Cub on the cover!). Ironically the first time I walked into a GW the initial thought I had was, “how can I fit Evangelions into this”, a redshirt there had a few ideas ;)

Serendipitously it was Eva that got me back into 40K 15 years later with the fanfic Shinji and Warhammer 40K. While I’ve yet to merge the two, it’s still in the back of my mind, maybe Adeptus Titanicus will end up helping with that. I will say though it’s part of the reason my Knight House is a Matriarchy. Admittedly I try to make small references, in one of my Iron Gauntlet challenge pieces I have a pair of dreadnought arguing about “best” girl, Ayanami or Shikinami (they’re fans of rebuild, poor Sohryu) when a captain comes in a settles it by claiming Makinami is “best”. I fully admit to my geekdom :D

Edited by NovemberIX, 20 July 2018 - 12:07 PM.

hushrong

hushrong

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,484 posts

That's a pretty nice set up. The business is a familiar name and I swear I have seen that sticker on a car while out and about in Houston. Austin has some great cars and goodies but there is a lot more of it in Houston I believe. I also checked out the site too and it looks to be a sweet shop.

I remember there was talk about a Lone Star meet up some time ago but nothing came out of it. Which was a bummer!

NovemberIX

NovemberIX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,103 posts

So I wanna start with some ETL progress. The first of the veteran squads.

opZWsl6.jpg

There's a reason for the white helmets, this time around I'm trying something a little different. Normally I just give them a stripe and go with one of a few color patterns I've been using, though, this time I want them to earn their colors in game. It's a thing I'd like to work thematically into the upcoming Kairos Intervention project I'll be a part of. To be fair by the end of ETL I could decide different and end up doing the stripes anyway, who knows! For now thought, my grav-gun guys are ready for battle.

Last week I had started on a journey of etching glass and making my own custom barware, the last project I completed was in service to a pun. Ikea makes a mug/tankard called Mjod, so....

ulEHuNQ.jpg

tFq3uqp.jpg

...yeah, a space wolves Emblem and Russ in runic. The runic is a bit hard to read because of the lighting, but it etched in really nicely.

The last pictures i wanna post up are some of the location of the possible Labor Day Lone Star Meet up at Deviate Autosport.

Spoiler

Apoc will never have been so comfortable msn-wink.gif

Edited by NovemberIX, 18 June 2019 - 02:25 PM.

• Honda, Bjorn Firewalker and hushrong like this

hushrong

hushrong

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,484 posts

The etch looks great! Would making the font of the runic lettering ruin the look and spacing you have? It looks great but to give it more visibility I wonder if you could go a bit bigger in the future.

NovemberIX

NovemberIX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,103 posts

This last weekend was the 24 Hours of LeMans, as in years past, I enjoy the race along with getting some painting done. The day started with laying down large blocks of yellow, at some point I realized I was gonna be faster and get a smoother coat if I just disassembled all the rhinos (the benefits of not using glue!) and weapon systems.

sVMYYGn.jpg
Not pictured, the live timing and scoring monitor, and another in car stream. I was having the time of my life!

One of the benefits of painting this way is I could essentially turn my brain off, though it does more or less preclude the taking of any meaningful in progress pictures since it was mechanically like popping potato chips, reach into the pile grab something, slather on the yellow, put it down to dry and repeat till about 3 AM local when much like the pit teams at Le Sarthe I too needed a nap.

wB69gTx.jpg

Progress

Most of Sunday was spent away from the modeling table, but time was found to start laying down some metallic layers.

0CV8hno.jpg

All the Kromlech stuff is pretty cool!

There's still a bit of ways to go, but I'm happy to be putting paint to model and seeing even minor results. Next up are more blocks of color, and my favorite bit, shading!

• Bryan Blaire and Lasuria like this

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 8,410 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos
You batch paint on a level I can only begin to comprehend! :lol: Looking good so far!
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

NovemberIX

NovemberIX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,103 posts

So I'm a lazy git who never updates anything. Getting all the painting and writing done before the end of ETLVII took all my facilities, abilities, and even some utilities. Thus when I posted these pics up over in the Liber, I never did get around to posting them in my own WIP thread. Now with a bit more time on my side, I present Task Force Sylphy.

s3fSzAd.jpg

Lead by a Techmarine on a Bike Sylphy was put together so i could finally repaint a number of models that weren't painted to "November Standard". It was also a great chance to add in some new units via Kromlech's conversion bits. 

RTOfFPC.jpg

Starting with the whirlwinds, these we're in desperate need of a repaint, the chassis were multi-colored and stuck out like a sore thumb. The missiles were a variety of colors, and the launcher for the Hyperios was straight up the wrong color. Thank the Emperor for white primer.

nR9z1iH.jpg

So, the real impetus for me doing ETL. Earlier in the year (or possibly around this time last year) I had put in an order with Kromlech for a bunch of interesting bits. Most specifically the Scorpio Turret. From the time I saw it, I knew I wanted to make a "modernized" Scorpius to go along with the FW one I'd eventually order. That lead to ordering their Assault Tank Turret with Magma gun (aka a Magna Melta) and a Radar dish (along with a few other things like the hatch mounted twin thunder guns and the techmarine below).

Speaking of the Radar dish, it really is a nice cheap and easy way of making a Damocles without the guilt of not painting the interior pieces. I also feel that it looks a bit better as well. 

For my counts as Deimos Infernus, I used a baal predator I rescued from ebay as a base, while some of the models could just be repainted, the baal needed to actually be sanded such was the state it was in. After taking it apart, I shuffled some of the pieces around to other units. I may go back at some point to figure out what to use the original GW turret for, but this kromlech one pretty much supersedes the GW plastic in all respects, and makes a great modernized Deimos.

uzKQrzk.jpg

I know the techmarine on a bike has been relegated to the index, but it didn't change my plans to add some much needed mobility to my corps of techmarines. Kromlech again provided an awesome modeling alternative. I did swap out their "thunder guns" for some bolter bits from a DA Dark Talon's Storm bolters, cut off the exhausts they used and replaced them with censer bits from the old basilica terrain kit.

yIjrjNk.jpg

I've had Thunderfire Cannons and Rapier Quad Mortars for a while, so when kromlech started showing off their tractor based weapons, I was already looking pretty forward to ordering their version of one. But after I used one of my fellblades in a game, and saw how effective the Quad Lascannons were, I changed my mind pretty quickly to add in another counts as unit. Rapiers come with a pair of gunners who really  don't have any options other than pistols, so I took the chance to use the hands from the Devastator kit to make some rather interesting marines. Everyone has a pointing marine, but how many can say they have a shrugging marine?

NYf42ZH.jpg

I love the Deredeo dreadnoughts, and I really wanted one with the Arachnus Lascannon Battery, there's not a whole lot else to say other than I wish that someday they make all the FW dreads in multipart plastic.

4C8wMit.jpgThe last unit to close it out is the unit that pretty much completes my airforce. This one was built to be a pure kinetic killer, for those of you who play Ace Combat 7 this is my 40K take on Triggers MiG-21bIS with machine gun pods.

With ETL done, I can start looking onward to a few other projects, I've got Scions and Skitarii on the docket, along with a couple more knights, a bunch of bikes, oodles of terrain, and the upcoming release of the plastic SoB, which all means one thing really. I still have a lot of yellow and blue to put down!

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,026 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
Excellent work on the models. All you're missing are Chapter symbols and unit markings.
Previous projects: Wolves of Catachan (the Wolfbrothers Chapter reborn), Steel Crusaders (Codex: Iron Hands), Iron-hearted Angels (Codex: Blood Angels supplement).

Current projects: Knights of Renaissance (Star Wars: The Force Awakens Marines), Grim Knights of Grimm Nights (Red vs. Blue Marines).

NovemberIX

NovemberIX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,103 posts

So, I've been "away" for a while, partly because some new work projects, partly as a break from 40K in general, and partly because I've spent months focusing on 3d models of Sil-80's and "another Enterprises". The time also gave me a chance to readjust how my army is displayed. Given that it's November Warriors day, I thought this would be a good time to display said display. It's a structural hazard of bookshelves on bookshelves, it's a firehazard of badly routed puck light wires, and just a bit of a safety hazard with magnet held polycarbonate to keep out the dust and inquisitive cats.

Generally I like to keep the lights low, during the day I keep the room in blue, at night red, but for the most part the display lights are set to warm white and at their lowest setting.

6sa6g7P.jpg

Occasionally though, full task lighting is on, so full intensity keeps the models from being in shade.

AGMNvc8.jpg

Tangentially, yes, the blanket on my recliner is one of my marine banners, as is the scarf hiding the lights of my modem it's good to be with someone who can crochet biggrin.png the small shelf of shame behind belies a pile much much worse.

blN1Ryu.jpg

More shelves will probably be added making space for all the infantry scale models that aren't up yet, but for now, I'm pretty tickled at the low rent great-value brand museum knock off feeling I get every time I look at it.

DXLnqde.jpg

Edited by NovemberIX, 10 November 2021 - 05:43 AM.

• Grotsmasha, Dr_Ruminahui and Freakshow668 like this

Grotsmasha

Grotsmasha

++ TORTOR PUMILI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,680 posts

Very nice :tu:

gallery_48988_15465_50871.pnggallery_48988_6285_19365.pnggallery_48988_15465_13594.png sml_gallery_48988_11572_6096.pnggallery_48988_15094_5045.pngsml_gallery_48988_16045_3749.png sml_gallery_48988_16045_1076.png gallery_45765_12339_2281.jpggallery_48988_10069_385.png

Check out my current and past projects HERE Heralds of Devastation

Having a Hobby Clean-out, a bunch of stuff now on eBay

Giving Fiverr a go, model Painting, Assembly and Conversion Commissions available

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users