November IX WIP Thread: And now 3d Printing Pistols of unusual size

• 4 weeks later...

Last Saturday Honda, Grand Master Iapetus and GAR showed up once again to play some 40K. Since Gar and I don't know the meaning of self control, our game went from 200 PL to 300 PL in a matter of minutes. While normally I'd have a bunch of detailed pictures to go along with Honda's usual awesome battle reports, this time around I've only got a few shots. Mostly to show how I went from over 6000 points on the board to damn near none.

6QElbJ4.jpg

xoLJYpD.jpg?1

The most entertaining part of the game is how I killed more of my guys than Gar did, heck I killed more of my guys than I killed of Gar's! the game was over by the top of turn 2, but it was massively entertaining. In the near future I'll post up a fictionalization of the fall of the FAS Takuro, and the loss of the Chronometric chamber to the knife ears.

UwdZaim.jpg

On a side note, this week I did finally come up with my own take on the Inquisitorial Rosette for the Ordo Chronos. Sharp Eyed 16bit geeks will notice the use of the Chrono Trigger C in the emblem.

QUMuI1m.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Before our game a few weeks ago, I gave everyone a whole scad of vinyl that I had cut, this included a matte metallic red Maltese cross for Honda, which he almost immediately applied to one of his transport cases. I was somewhat inspired by the positive reaction, and the suggestion that maybe at point I sell some of my creations. While I've yet to set up a website, I did ask Honda to lend me some of his cases so I could experiment. Being the great guy that he is, he said sure, with the caveat that I had to let him buy me a caffeinated beverage from out local purveyors of confectionary drinks. In the week since I've learned a few things, had a few ideas, and generally enjoyed myself. So without much more ado, I present the new Black Templar army case graphics for the most Hostile Cart that I know!

mXqAYmK.jpg

Like my army shots, I prefer to start off by showing how all 4 have come out.

suyVguS.jpg

I knew I wanted to use red chrome (we just wrapped a 2018 Mustang in it, and I had a paucity of material to play with) the chain graphic is made from Matte Metallic red. The lettering was done in gold.\

HBnW3Hl.jpg

A slightly more difficult design, the back layer was done in a satin black that I found that had a bunch of white spots on it. It reminded me of stars. The main cross is matte metallic red and gold that were cut to fit within each other. The smaller cross is gloss black, and only pops under certain lighting conditions. The scripting on the side was an inverted cut out of reflective gold.

pPbiY4b.jpg

This is actually a design Honda isn't getting. I wanted to give it a really luxe look using the gold and red together. But I turned out to not like the font as much, or the gloss black. So the idea was ran with in different colors...

ZvTCc0G.jpg

...to get to this. Brushed metal red, Satin Black and white. I hoped this design was more evocative of the Templars. Also I got to use brushed metal on the case :wink:

vFbkkP3.jpg

Finally my favorite of the four. The base color is pearl white, the red quartering is matte metallic red (again), the cross is matte black and the lettering in reflective gold.

One last bonus image...

Mj7LEkm.jpg

I recently redid my dice box to show one of my army flags. For this one I used chrome blue, matte Metallic blue and satin white. The other side has a flag as well, that one also uses the satin and matte metallics but swaps chrome blue for deep metallic blue with silver flakes.

Yesterday I finished up the cases for Honda, and my mind was already working, what faction could I play around with next. A coincidental piece of gold on some metallic blue inspired one thought in me. Ultramarines. Especially because my best buddy is looking to start a small ultramarine force soon.

As before I'll start off with an overall shot and then get into detail.

OKio9qX.jpg

I used a single kind of material to do the base layer. I still had a 60 inch roll of some metallic (almost) electron blue, one quick run through the plotter later I had 4 11x8 rectangles (and one 12x9 sheet that used).

ELQfnRc.jpg

The first design I played around with. I wanted to keep it simple, with the most complex element being the scroll work, now that I know I can do it, next time around I'll have it run the entire perimeter.

1RaLKiT.jpg

Again, a fairly simple looking design, more effort was spent in the design phase than in the cut phase.

rO2XNR2.jpg

Here's where things get more complex. Letters are probably one of the hardest things to work with in vinyl, just because there are so many elements to them that are all too easy to screw up. More so when each line and word had to be lined up on it's own because it cut just a little larger than I expected. Hence the need for the slightly modified quote.

26UAwzv.jpg

Simple, and yet not. The layering required to get the gold outline took a few tries (and were this going to anyone but my buddy I woulda worked on it some more) but I think it's my favorite of the 4.

Monday I may try one more Ultramarine variation (I've been inspired by the veteran sgt helms) do an Imperial Fists box for Honda's Primaris or I might just try and get a little wolfy, provided I can find the right shade of gray ;)

I Intended to start on a few new chapters today but a couple of walk in customers and a Honda CBR 600RR have taken the most of my attention. I did get one somewhat simple piece done.

0cXyyCP.jpg

The shop didn't have a bone color material in stock so for this little side project, but I did have a pearl with some yellow for the skull fill. So matte white background, matte black outline, and pearl white skull. I wanted to add some scripting, but said walk in customers have kept me busy. The fun part was actually learning some new techniques to make the emblem, since no one really have a vectorized or even a high-res version already done. So DSS7, while it's not completely done, I hope it does the Death Specters proud :smile.:

• 1 month later...

In the midst of doing a nice amount of client work, I did some messing about and did a couple of things. First off was a bit of happy serendipity, one night while walking from one room to another I noticed a lamp casting an interesting shadow, snapped a quick picture and recently fed it into some design software. I had some scrap vinyl sitting about and decided while I had a little bit of downtime I'd try a thing. Gloss black over red chrome, and covered in some construction dust. While I'd love to say guess which dreadnought, I'm fairly sure it's a little obvious :tongue.:

1cX3Eoj.jpg

This is vaguely related to a sticker I did for my gaming buddies, but this time I wanted to try something that's gonna require some extra effort. The plan is to use a couple of different materials, and maybe a couple of different sizes and just sorta see what comes from it. I might rescale it some more and use it as a logo for something here on the forum, I'm sure Texas is still around in 40K :wink:

gCrHOSI.jpg

Edited by NovemberIX

I tend towards making things difficult for myself, then grumbling about being an idiot who makes things hard for myself ;) really though I kinda enjoy the challenge, especially when it does work out, because I kinda like the effect comparative to printing, especially the color options, and to some extent the hard definitive edges. I feel right now is mostly a matter of finding new interesting ways to meld 40K and the opportunity in front of me to make some cool custom stuff.

I'm taking a bit of a drive across the state today, thus:

1HzMjMF.jpg

Sadly I ended up destroying three of the other ones I made via various errors in combining all the colors. When I get back I'll take another stab at getting the border outline, and making a few variants, certain players have suggested a maltese cross, a baneblade cannon, or a Knight Titan's battle cannon, I do think a thunderfire would be most appropriate too ;)

• 2 months later...

While the past months have been busy enough to keep me behind on my ETL vow, I've taken a bit of time to continue to play with vinyl.

Starting off, I had the urge to throw some graphics on my PS3. I found a vector file online at noun project and used it as a basis for my November Warriors inspired helmet, admittedly I've been meaning to go back and change the face plate to white to better match my army. (notice my ETL Primaris UM vow sitting in bits boxed behind, I am working a little bit at least)

20ExfSy.jpg

The next thing I knocked out was a bit of a window graphic. I had the urge to make something large with some brushed aluminum textured wrap. The Aquila is about 58 inches wide. I know it looks backwards from the side of the window I took the picture from, but I realized it was kinda hard to get an image from inside the house because of all the nature in my backyard ;)

hHiwnLD.jpg

A few weeks back one of my clients had commissioned me to make some glass etch masks for the projector lenses of a Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack. I took the chance to make up a few masks that I'd much rather prefer. This also reminds me I still wanna do a Vlka Fenryka army case graphic, (I gotta say the Prospero Burns Audio books really gave me some insight into the Legion of Russ)

0xXsrAY.jpgBERUZRk.jpg

As the weeks wound by and my ETL progress stalled I was looking for a bit of reminder what I needed to do. Thus on one of the most used doors in my house I added a bit of a reminder of what the ETL stakes were. Liber Ascendens indeed.

bfj6Ml1.jpg

From the moment I saw the Kill Teams logo, I knew I wanted to cut it out in a sticker. I grabbed a small hard case I used to use for a now retired condensor microphone and got to work. What I'm most entertained by is that I made my case before GW had released images of theirs. Additionally, since I know at some point I also wanna collect a Necromunda gang, the other side of the case got that logo (also because I think it's pretty damn cool). The case has been fitted with convoluted foam sheets that hold even metal models pretty solidly.

aqyG0uf.jpg

The last set of images were for a project I started while I had some downtime in the shop. Starting with an IKEA Lack small floating shelf, I used a bunch of scrap pieces from previous projects to put it together starting with the honey comb design that was initially part of a stripe kit for a Scat Pack Challenger. Layered over that is matte metallic gunmetal, the edges were finished in brushed aluminum texture. The Aquila was done in chrome.

7dnPq7l.jpgrjiXSSO.jpgFkLLvgc.jpg

Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I can devote some time to ETL to actually work on my vow. As well as continue to bring more 40K and the November Warriors into the real world via vinyl graphics.

Thank you much! I gotta say having access to a 60 inch commercial plotter and a variety of materials has made it easy to give everything a bespoke look, I hope I can soon offer my graphics services to my fellow frater for any of their vinyl needs and wants!

Your custom decals look AWESOME.

Thank you sir for the kind words! Soon I shall have something worthy of the Wolf King!

Let's just say that the Primaris models have strangely been a slog, for guys that are one color, the UM are quite the pain. Oh chaplain my chaplain I'll not fail you, nor my fellow Astartes Frater! This I do vow sir!

Edited by NovemberIX

So I've started to offer a new service, Glass Etching, to test things out and see how they'd work I wanted to make a little something for me. Since I've often heard 40K described as a beer and Pretzels games, and the November IX have their own related traditions, why not make a custom Pilsner Glass.

zlz0FvK.jpg

the process starts with a mask, and then the application of a caustic agent.

Which then results in this....

Srac9JB.jpg

And thus, my Christmas shopping was done by July! :D