++ Chaos forums feedback ++

Excessus

It was now a long time ago that the forum was reorganized into it's current form. Where we used to be divided, we now stand united! (well, still a little bit divided, hehe)

We chaos mods are always working to improve the chaos section as far as our ability lets us, but even in our immortal mod state we are still not perfect. We are striving for perfection but to reach that goal we require the assistance of you frater. We want you to point at some needed changes, or mistakes to be corrected. We want you to provide us with feedback about these three chaos-dedicated boards which will make us be able to work for the betterment of the community even better.

All members are invited to post here with constructive suggestions, for all the three sub-forums. It makes it a bit easier for us to keep track and have oversight of it all. :)

We on the team have a lot of ideas and plans but as always the voice of the community should be heard, so roar to the dark skies, oh champions of Chaos, we will listen, and maybe bless you with our dark gifts.

Best regards

The chaos mod team

In the Chaos Space Marines Resources post, could we get a section containing links to non GW parts for Chaos kits? Kromlech, puppetswar, etc? I think it would help to have a list in one area for members to look through for general Chaos as well as Legion specific bits and kits.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Khorne Daemonkin should have its own sub-forum. Right now there are posts about KDK in both the CSM and Chaos Daemons sub-fora. It would be nice if all the KDK threads could be moved to one sub.

See I was almost thinking the opposite. 

I almost feel we need a single place to bring the CSM and Deamon conversations into one place, as there is so much crossover these days. 

I think Khorne Daemonkin should have its own sub-forum. Right now there are posts about KDK in both the CSM and Chaos Daemons sub-fora. It would be nice if all the KDK threads could be moved to one sub.

See I was almost thinking the opposite. 

I almost feel we need a single place to bring the CSM and Deamon conversations into one place, as there is so much crossover these days. 

As far as I see, the Daemons forum isn't really used that much sadly. Taking KDK away from them won't help :<

I agree with Uveron. B&C is all about power armored/Bolter and chainsword using armies. So the majority of people here will have 1 or more of these type of armies.

Daemons are the exception to this because they play such an integral part to chaos themed armies. However, not all chaos players will use daemons in their forces, so consequently, there will be less activity on that section of the forums.

The unofficial/official addition of KDK to that section of the forums did help a little, but compared to the CSM section, there's still hardly any activity in that part of the warp.

So... What I suggest is we merge all the forces of chaos into 1 forum, but if a member wants to create a thread detailing only a specific faction, they use the following headers in their thread titles:

[KDK] = Khorne daemonkin

[CD] = Chaos Daemons

[CSM] = Chaos Space Marines

[RH] = renegades and heretics

[RK] = renegade Knights

No header if their topic involves multiple factions or falls in a faction out of this.

While this may sound a little... Chaotic ;) it'll help greatly I think with garnering responses to topics that are posted in the daemons and lost and the damned forums.

I agree with Uveron. B&C is all about power armored/Bolter and chainsword using armies. So the majority of people here will have 1 or more of these type of armies.

Daemons are the exception to this because they play such an integral part to chaos themed armies. However, not all chaos players will use daemons in their forces, so consequently, there will be less activity on that section of the forums.

The unofficial/official addition of KDK to that section of the forums did help a little, but compared to the CSM section, there's still hardly any activity in that part of the warp.

So... What I suggest is we merge all the forces of chaos into 1 forum, but if a member wants to create a thread detailing only a specific faction, they use the following headers in their thread titles:

[KDK] = Khorne daemonkin

[CD] = Chaos Daemons

[CSM] = Chaos Space Marines

[RH] = renegades and heretics

[RK] = renegade Knights

No header if their topic involves multiple factions or falls in a faction out of this.

While this may sound a little... Chaotic :wink: it'll help greatly I think with garnering responses to topics that are posted in the daemons and lost and the damned forums.

The problem with this is that there's really no way to implement this sort of thing. You can't force members to use particular formatting or terms in their topic titles, and having a mod go in and change a title every time someone posts a new topic without the requisite signifiers (if they were implemented) is a gross overstepping of their authority. Really, what you propose is exactly why we have the tagging system for topics.

And I personally don't think we should combine the subforums. Even before the advent of Daemonkin, the Daemons forum was hardly the most inactive forum on the boards. It certainly wasn't as active as some of the big ones, but it wasn't dead by any means.

I still think that Daemonkin poses a bit of a problem, due to its willy-nilly combination of CSM and CD units. Despite the fact that the forum membership has sort of established a consensus that Daemonkin topics belong in the Daemons forum (a position that I personally disagree with due to the fact that I view most KDK armies as built primarily around a core of Khorne CSM with Khorne Daemons thematically inserted as supplementary units) there has been no formal ruling by the admins and mods on where they belong insofar as I know. There may have been one and I just missed it, but I don't believe that I would have. What I would advise is that if we are not going to establish a subforum solely for the purpose of serving the Daemonkin faction, the mod team should make a definitive ruling on which forum KDK discussions belong in and an announcement be made, along with a change in the description of whichever subforum they are assigned to (i.e., if they were assigned to x CHAOS SPACE MARINES x, the description would read as "Chaos Space Marines and Khorne Daemonkin," while if they were delegated to x CHAOS DAEMONS x, the description would be updated to "[a] Nightmare made real - Chaos Daemons and Khorne Daemonkin.")

Also, I personally believe that if Renegade Knights are expanded to a full faction in their own right, discussion of that faction, in future, should belong in x RENEGADES & HERETICS x outside the context of them being used as allies to them being used specifically as Allies to CSM, CD, or KDK.

I remember the mods ruling that the KDK should be in daemons. Not sure if that is recorded anywhere but it was definitely decided. I think renaming the sub forum CD and KDK would be useful.

The Problem with that is the Warp Talons conversation we had a few weeks ago.. As a unit that exists in both forces and well you should have the ablity to talk about the KDK units without being told that's not what that part of the forum is for. (Which did happen) 

Perhaps what we need is a more simple split, that mirrors the loyalists set up a bit. 

- General Chaos -

- CSM -

- CD and KDK -

- Renegades -   

We kind of had the same issue on the Chaos Forum on my (right) side of the Channel.

At first (so before KDK and IA13), we only implemented  simple architecture with two main subforums (i.e. CSM and CD).

Once Codex KDK was released there was a question about where we should settle those guys... The answer was that we assessed them as being an army based on Space Marines rather than Deamons (actually most of the KDK armies follow this trend) so we maintained them in the CSM subforum and created a specific TAG [KDK], like we did with [bL] ou [CS].

When IA13 was published, I proposed to my fellow admins to create a new subforum especially designed not only for Renegades (as defined in IA13) but also for every aspects of the Chaos Forces that were neither Legionnaries nor Deamons. This Renegade subforum now welcomes Renegades, Renegade Knights, Dark Mechanicum, Regenade Astra Militarum. It's clearly not the most active subforum but at least are the members' topics not lost among a horde of CSM or CDs' topics. And we actually even have some members who play almost solely renegades which even wrote Tacticas, resulting in the subforum being almost as rich as the CSM one.

My two cents.

Celtic_Cauldron

• 2 months later...

Yes yes we read the feedback, just in case you're wondering. Just forgot to reply to you all, apologies. :)

KDK is indeed a tough nut to crack (thanks, GW :tongue.: ) and we'll continue trying to think of the perfect solution. Until then, I guess we'll be a bit more lenient when it comes to cross discussions about KDK/CSM units. For now, the "main" place for KDK is still in Chaos Daemons. Of course we are open for suggestions, as always.

As for the resources thing. Yeah, I guess the resources needs a bit of updating, it's getting a bit old. We'll take a look at it and see what we can do.

Edited by Excessus

• 7 months later...

I really really miss the god specific forums.

To me splitting by the 4 gods + undivided makes way more sense than splitting by CSM, renegades & Daemons. As a Nurgle player I have very little interest in all the notifications for 1k Sons marines that I get as they can't be incorporated into my army. However some plague bearers or Nurgle cultists CAN be incorporated into my army, problem is I have to follow a whole other forum to hear about them. And then if I follow that forum I have to hear about all the bloodthirsters and slaaneshi bondage cults that also don't fit in my army.

How about the three forums we have now become the undivided/general forums and then we add back the 4 god's forums where anything related to that god can be discussed, power armour, daemons, cultists, knights whatever, as long as it is about that specific god. That solves the KDK problem as well as giving stuff like tzaangors a proper place.

I'd much rather have it split into Legions similar to the different Chapters on the loyalist board than have it split into 4 gods + undivided to be honest.

I honestly don't see why when it works well for the loyalists. I dare say the opposite and say it would encourage Legion specific forum events (like the GBBO and Feast of Blades for BA etc.)

Hey mods,

A few years back, the Dark Angels hosted a super cool event on their subforum.

See for yourself : http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/302600-dark-angels-feast-of-blades-x-arena-of-death/

Can we hope to see our champions fight for glory by shamelessly stealing what our fellow traitors from the first Legion did ?

I don't think we should have the current architecture changed.

Regarding Legions I agree with Iron Skull Mask: we have Legion threads which activity is not constant but regular and can count as proxies for Legion-oriented FAQs or common discussion threads without preventing Brothers to create their own topics for larger questions (such as army lists).

Regarding Gods... Well playing Nurgle CSM is not actually the same as playing Death Guard, which is not the same as playing Daemons. Therefore I'm not sure that would be the most practical way to organize the Chaos sub-forum.

I'll add a personnal feeling: IMO the richness of the Chaos sub-forum, especially the CSM one, is that it has a particular flavour because we're all mixed in the same place and I think this is stimulating for most of us, including during forum events like ETL.

Celtic_Cauldron

A lot of the frater that post in the chaos forums remember when it was split by God, even then the undivided forum got more traffic and the others were struggling. We've seen the benefits of the merge, and the increased sense of community it brought to the Chaos area. Unless there is a significant increase in posting rate I doubt there is enough traffic to justify a split. (It's not like there are ten threads actively running per god, let alone per legion) it's nothing personal.

A lot of the frater that post in the chaos forums remember when it was split by God, even then the undivided forum got more traffic and the others were struggling. We've seen the benefits of the merge, and the increased sense of community it brought to the Chaos area. Unless there is a significant increase in posting rate I doubt there is enough traffic to justify a split. (It's not like there are ten threads actively running per god, let alone per legion) it's nothing personal.

If there was just one big WARHAMMER forum then it would get loads of traffic. But we don't do that because we like things to be ordered and distilled down.

In an ideal world every thread posted to a forum you follow should be of some interest to you or at least be relevant. Conversely when you post something in a forum you would ideally know that everyone in the forum found the post relevant and could usefully comment on it.

That's not what we currently have. We currently have a forum that is not divided enough and gets too much traffic without enough focus. Split it by legion or by god or whatever you have to but for the love of Chaos split it so it can be a useful forum again.

@Henrywalker:The problem with division is that by getting more and more specific you're likely to create a 100% autonomous forum (so with an artistic sub-forum, a tactical one and so on...) because at some point people will request to have a specific sub-forums for Nurgle galleries, Legion galleries, Daemon Tactica... In all but name, this Chaos sub-forum will be independant from the B&C as we know it.

I don't know much about the English-speaking community, but that's what we have in France: a huge "WARHAMMER FORUM" and a lot of independant forums for each and any race/faction. As an Admin of the Chaos Forum I can attest that the racial forums can hardly keep a constant flow of input with the notable exception of the Chaos Forum which benefit from the specific behaviour of its community (which is quite alike what I can find here). Even the loyalist forum is suffering since the split between the Vanilla Guys and DAs, BAs, Wolves, GKs. The latter do face the same difficulties. Splitting is weakening.

Celtic_Cauldron

@Henrywalker:The problem with division is that by getting more and more specific you're likely to create a 100% autonomous forum (so with an artistic sub-forum, a tactical one and so on...) because at some point people will request to have a specific sub-forums for Nurgle galleries, Legion galleries, Daemon Tactica... In all but name, this Chaos sub-forum will be independant from the B&C as we know it.

I don't know much about the English-speaking community, but that's what we have in France: a huge "WARHAMMER FORUM" and a lot of independant forums for each and any race/faction. As an Admin of the Chaos Forum I can attest that the racial forums can hardly keep a constant flow of input with the notable exception of the Chaos Forum which benefit from the specific behaviour of its community (which is quite alike what I can find here). Even the loyalist forum is suffering since the split between the Vanilla Guys and DAs, BAs, Wolves, GKs. The latter do face the same difficulties. Splitting is weakening.

Celtic_Cauldron

I'd agree normally but, again, the loyalist part of the forum shows that such a thing doesn't really happen here. Partly because of all those forum events (which are pretty damn awesome btw.)

Guess it would just be fun to have some friendly contests just among Emperor's Children/Death Guard/Night Lords/whatever or cross-legion contests. Those would be rather hard to pull off with the current state of the forum and wouldn't be as much fun i feel since there wouldn't be a sense of "I'm among my guys here and we work on something together". Being in a specific group is fun. That's why there are all kind of sports clubs in real life and not just "the soccer club" or just "the soccer club germany" and so on.