Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Clan Brannsar Rises: Seeker-Killer Cohort 'Ultor'

Iron Hands Betrayal at Calth Xth Legion WIP

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Iron Hands Fanatic

Iron Hands Fanatic

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,011 posts
  • Chapter Name: Xth Legion

REEEAL cool man. Like the Irony of a Salamander being burned too (by Phosphex no less...)!

Thanks dude - I wanted a physical reminder of Isstvan V, which becomes the symbol of the handful of Salamanders survivors who were on the ground which he leads. They're called 'The Branded' because each has a hand-print burnt onto his face in the same manner, in imitation of Ozymandius' - they super-heat their right gauntlet and scar their own faces, and leave the gauntlet burnt black.

I always thought Phosphex was like radiation in a fashion, only a hell of a lot more harder to scrub away (if at all possible outside of using a vacuum). If it melted the helmet, would it not also melt into his face utterly destroying the skull killing him? After all it was that one weapon that would utterly annihilate anything especially with the nature of the chemical weapon and spreading on movement.

Great to finally see more Salamanders though! loving the thread and looking forward to more!

Looking forward to seeing how the modelling sand cape turns out, Its an interesting Idea. Are there any examples of that being used? In the worst case, with your talents, I am sure you will be fine with green stuff!

As far as I'm aware, it's inspired by white phosphorous, napalm & greek fire, so the way I see it is that as soon as it comes into contact with something, the only cause of action is to cut it away to stop it spreading.

So the idea was that a tiny amount of phosphex splashed onto his helmet, which he removed immediately, but even in that fraction of a second, the residual heat managed to melt the inside of the helmet, so that even pulling off the helm (which probably started to collapse in on itself straight away) left searing hot ceramite fused to his flesh - his skin never actually came into contact with Phosphex.

I couldn't find any examples of the sand approach I'm looking at being used for this before, so it's a bit of a gamble, but not exactly an irreversible one if it doesn't work.

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,156 posts

BAD. ASS.

• Iron Hands Fanatic likes this

gallery_62972_10568_73818.jpggallery_48988_6285_4379.png

In Their Fists They Carry Death - The Legiones Custodes

++WIP Thread++

++Index Astartes Sanguine Visions++

++Heresy WIP Thread: Talons++

Iron Hands Fanatic

Iron Hands Fanatic

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,011 posts
  • Chapter Name: Xth Legion

Quick update just to show the direction I'm going with for the other B@C character:

gallery_53779_9225_472075.jpg

gallery_53779_9225_353089.jpg

Storm Proven Heios Yensa, Centurion of Void-Assault Cadre 'Ashfall'

He's another Salamander, so I'll be attempting the same approach to his cloak as with Ozimandius. There's a lot of filling to do to finish off the conversion work - one of my primary goals with him was to avoid removing / damaging any of the pteruges around the pauldrons, which meant grafting the lighting claws directly onto the wrists - this was easier with the chainfist arm, as it uses the same base as the cataphractii lightning claws / power fists, but the other arm was somewhat trickier, involving cutting away the forearm into the right shape to accommodate the claw, which itself had to be modified because the only left-handed claw in the Cataphractii set with the entire wrist exposed was gesturing in the wrong way. The pose relies entirely upon the positioning of the head, which can spell the difference between him looking like he's about to swing a fistful of energised blades through some poor fool's chest and straight up voguing (incidentally, the head is a Cataphractii helm transplanted onto the bottom half of Ahriman's helmet).

So yeah, plenty of cleanup to do, and I may even attempt to convert the wolf skull from Geigor's backpack into a drake skull, although that might be a bit too involved - we shall see. Other than that, there's the cape to rough up in preparation for applying the 'scales', and I may trim down the gorget so he can see a bit better, and to show more of the helmet.

Background wise, Void-Assault Cadre 'Ashfall' is a chunk of Salamanders who were left in orbital reserve over Isstvan V, should the Traitors' fleet suddenly re-appear, so they were slightly better prepared for the orbital battle, albeit against foes unlooked for. They escaped with Clan Brannsar's fleet when they jumped into system after the second wave had shown their true colours, although nearly crippled and suffering huge losses. The Grand Cruiser they were stationed on is also where any escapees from the ground conflict in my force took shelter, although that's fewer than 40 Legionaries.

If any of you are wondering where I'm drawing all this from, I'm basically cherry-picking from the organisational chart below, which is from here

Spoiler

• Checkmate and Petitioner's City like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Iron Hands, Betrayal at Calth, Xth Legion, WIP

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users