Having done the basic assembly on pretty much all the minis I have, the stage I'm currently at is going back through and adding small details to various models, starting with the unit sargents as well as some custom vexillas for the Salamander & RG Vet squads:

med_gallery_53779_13609_674005.jpg

med_gallery_53779_13609_628198.jpgmed_gallery_53779_13609_161187.jpg

med_gallery_53779_13609_1245209.jpg

med_gallery_53779_13609_301126.jpg

med_gallery_53779_13609_384150.jpg

med_gallery_53779_13609_814782.jpg

med_gallery_53779_13609_188930.jpg

med_gallery_53779_13609_923681.jpg

After I'm done with this stage, next up I'll be stripping down all the parts that've been mauled by awful (and ancient) paint jobs, before I get on to filling in any unpleasant gaps with milliput

After that, I might even get some painting done!

I like the Blackshields lore you have there and that PF + Chainsword HQ looks like an absolute savage. Salamanders are looking good too.

Thanks MegaVolt, the background I have for all of these units and broader factions is something I consider at every stage when modelling, so I'm glad that comes across

• 3 weeks later...

Over the past couple of weeks, I've been continuing the detailing process, and I'm inching my way nearer to the painting stage - all I've really got left to do is finish the chainmail technique on the Brannsar Centurion's cape, do any filling with milliput that's needed, maybe add a few plasticard details and half-assemble the remaining Custodes parts so I can tear them apart to serve as rubble as part of my basing (although I might save that till after painting for ease of access).

I did finally manage to find some appropriate plastic hemispheres to act as the hip joints on the Contemptor so I could re-position the legs (I feel like the completely parallel legs is part of the reason the plastic mini feels so awkward), which let me take a (shoddy) group photo of the Iron Hands contingent:

gallery_53779_13609_384139.jpg

Over the past couple of weeks, I've been continuing the detailing process, and I'm inching my way nearer to the painting stage - all I've really got left to do is finish the chainmail technique on the Brannsar Centurion's cape, do any filling with milliput that's needed, maybe add a few plasticard details and half-assemble the remaining Custodes parts so I can tear them apart to serve as rubble as part of my basing (although I might save that till after painting for ease of access).

I did finally manage to find some appropriate plastic hemispheres to act as the hip joints on the Contemptor so I could re-position the legs (I feel like the completely parallel legs is part of the reason the plastic mini feels so awkward), which let me take a (shoddy) group photo of the Iron Hands contingent:

Awesome group shot! The poses you’ve been working on are really great, I’ve always been a fan of that “snap shot” of marines firing over the top of their swords etc to. Nice work!

BCC

Awesome group shot! The poses you’ve been working on are really great, I’ve always been a fan of that “snap shot” of marines firing over the top of their swords etc to. Nice work!

BCC

Thanks! I do really try to make it so that no mini I assemble can be made straight from the box, be that via kit-bashing, minor conversion or major re-work that I've done with some of the characters, and figuring out more dynamic looking poses is a really big part of that

BCC

Thanks! I do really try to make it so that no mini I assemble can be made straight from the box, be that via kit-bashing, minor conversion or major re-work that I've done with some of the characters, and figuring out more dynamic looking poses is a really big part of that

Ditto! My favourite part is kitbashing and making sure that no 2 minis look the same. :)

BCC

• 4 weeks later...

Well, three years after making this thread, I've got a single (almost) fully painted miniature:

(apologies for the naff photography, phone's alright for bare plastic but paint might require me to dig out my camera)

gallery_53779_13609_51362.jpg

gallery_53779_13609_46606.jpg

I've been using some very old paints, and most of the lighter paints are irrevocably dried out, so I'll have to wait before I can add the final highlights to the green and silver, as well as *any* highlights to the black plate, pouches and lenses. I'm considering cheekily adding some transfers before those steps are done, but I plan on quite a few freehand alterations, which'll require lighter colours so I might put that off in favour of attempting to replicate the basic scheme on some more members of the Salamanders vet squad.

Edited by Iron Hands Fanatic

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I've been unearthing some old metal minis I've had in storage from my earliest days in the hobby, and trying to figure out how to put them to use in 30k - they're all in various states of disrepair from my somewhat heavy-handed childhood attempts at conversion work, and they're currently taking an acetone bath, so I'll catalogue what I've got here:

Vet Squad & Emperor's Champion:

gw-99810101068-1.jpgBlack-Templars-Emperors-Champion.jpg

I'm planning to combine these kits together to form an Imperial Fists Templar Brethren squad - it's the only unit I could think of for which the preponderance of purity seals (oaths of moment), tabards and ornamentation would be appropriate. They'll all need some modelling putty work to pass them off as Mk IV/V/VI, and I'll have to see how intact they are once they're stripped before I can figure out their exact loadout. Background wise, while this squad won't be part of my main IF contingent (a garrison Demi-Company and the Company of initiates they were training), I'm gonna justify their inclusion by having them be a fragment of the Retribution fleet that got lost in the Warp en-route to Phall and ended up in the same region of space (the Cymaera Verge) as the main force, already pretty beaten up and subsequently ambushed by Traitor forces before other Loyalists could intervene, so they took significant losses and had to patch their wargear with a variety of power armour.

Command Squad:

http://i.4pcdn.org/tg/1389563036799.gif

Apart from the Techmarine, who'll become a kit-bashed IH Techmarine/ Praevian/ Forge Lord, and the Apothecary who's been earmarked for my Raven Guard contingent, I'm not 100% on what I'll be using all these minis for, but I'll likely start with the same Mk IV/V/VI sculpting process as for the vets and figure it out from there, although I'm thinking that the Sergeant might not make an awful Master of Signals.

Librarians:

http://kofler.dot.at/40k/units/Ultramarine_Librarian_2.gifhttp://kofler.dot.at/40k/units/Salamander_Librarian.gif

Since Malevolence came out, I'd planned on using the Salamanders contingent of my collection as a vector for introducing more esoteric elements into the army - the foundation of the Promethean cult being used to develop anti-psyker/ demon countermeasures like Nullificators etc, and having unearthed the model on the left, stumbling across this art had me pretty much decided that he'd be joining the Sallies, with the Psychic Hood being used to represent a Null-amp Collar. The other mini's been a bit savaged, missing a head and the top of his staff, but I'll likely paint him as one of Raven Guard, as my contingent of their Legion are pretty convinced that Corax is dead, so they have few qualms about rejecting the Edict, and fielding him as an Esoterist leaning into the darker side of the Warp with the Salamander being a Librarian means I can potentially benefit from the Sallies' unique psychic power if I ever got round to playing.

Biker Chaplain:

http://kofler.dot.at/40k/units/Ultramarine_Chaplain_on_Bike.gif

Whether I'll actually field him as a Chaplain or attempt a more ambitious conversion into another HQ type is yet to be decided, but I've also got a trio of old plastic bikers I intend to strip down (that said, they might even be the current model 'cause they've never been updated), and bikes seems most thematically appropriate for the Raven Guard. The one thing I do know is that I'll be liberating the helmet on his saddle and giving Igniax Ozymandius a head-swap because having the ochre/ black/ green Igniax colour scheme with a gloss black/ bronze skull helm is too cool to pass up.

Plastic Termies:

http://kofler.dot.at/40k/units/Ultramarine_Terminator_Squad_1.gifmed_gallery_2_1354_96042.jpg

I'm definitely converting the Black Reach Termie (free from an old White Dwarf) into an Imperial Fists character - they're the Legion I think best suits Indomitus TDA, but I'm unsure about the older plastic Terminators, as I think the scale difference might be irredeemable. Worst comes to worst, I can use bits of them for detailing and base decoration, as well as converting up more complex characters, such as replacing the new Primaris Iron Father's backpack & rear torso to turn his plate into artificer Terminator armour.

• 4 weeks later...

In typical fashion, having *almost* painted a single miniature, I uh - did a thing:

gallery_53779_13609_510882.jpg

gallery_53779_13609_266385.jpg

gallery_53779_13609_430657.jpg

gallery_53779_13609_304118.jpg

gallery_53779_13609_50393.jpg

gallery_53779_13609_456580.jpg

While I was putting them together, I wanted to mess around with adding some point defence weapons to the Warhounds & Reaver akin to those mounted on the Warlord & Warbringer Titans, so I drew inspiration from the classic titan head weapons for the Reaver's Avenger Bolt Cannon, and appropriated one of the Warlord's Maulers for its rear arc (I've positioned one of the Warlord's Volcano Cannon to try and hide its absence). For the Warhounds, I drew from the cover art for Betrayer, cutting down the left-over Vulcan Megabolters to a single barrel and the central rotary pivot to imitate a Heavy Bolter muzzle and added them in place of the detailing on the Warhounds' noses that resemble fangs.

med_gallery_53779_13609_84388.jpgmed_gallery_53779_13609_20337.jpg

med_gallery_53779_13609_221969.jpg

gallery_53779_13609_267499.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So with the impending release of the Titanicus Knight Battleforce, I've been mocking up the schemes for the two knight houses I'll have accompanying my Titans:

HOUSE NY'ZAAR:

med_gallery_53779_9225_492081.jpg

HOUSE SADAVIR:

med_gallery_53779_9225_304992.jpg

Still my beating heart that command squad image hit me in the nostalgia!

I've got an unpainted version of that captain sat on my desk waiting for use... Possibly minus a head I can't remember...

Yeah, I've got quite a bit of sculpting and converting on my plate to make them fit into the Heresy, but I couldn't resist reusing them

The avenger in the Eye is awesome

Thanks! I really like the defensive weapons on the Warbringer & Warlord just from a practical standpoint, and there wasn't an obvious mounting point for a turret on the front of the Reaver, so it seemed like a fun idea

• 4 weeks later...

I'm waiting on some Microsol/set so I can add transfers to the pauldrons, but apart from that (and some subsequent chipping), I'm calling the paintscheme done!

gallery_53779_13609_322001.jpg

gallery_53779_13609_26619.jpg

gallery_53779_13609_319970.jpg

gallery_53779_13609_99989.jpg

...and here's what all the iconography means:

* The ash-smeared gauntlets indicate that he's a member of the Asca-Fah ('ash-marred'), a warband of Salamanders who escaped the surface of Isstvan V
* The spine pattern on his helmet is a practice adopted from the Legionaries of Void-Assault Cadre 'Carnovora' which the Asca-Fah fought alongside, each vertebrae representing a fallen squad-mate
* The skull circled in fire identifies the Legionary as a Lifeward to a Legion officer, in this case Igniax Ozimandius
* The glyphs and fireball on his kneepads are just generic Salamnders stylings

• 2 months later...

The slew of Titanicus releases has really given me a hobby buzz, so I managed to get a test panel for my scheme done and plan out the patterning on the Warlord I just basecoated:

gallery_53779_9225_1139919.jpg

gallery_53779_9225_313648.jpg

That's an awesome Salamander I really like all the extra icons and your fluff around them. Great job!

Top notch legionnaire there, the freehand flames in particular are very nicely done.

Thanks folks, they're supposed to be part of a veteran squad that serves as a character's retinue, so I want them to have a real sense of history - I've finally grabbed some microsol/set, so I can actually get some decals on the shoulderpads, do some weathering and finish them up!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

While waiting for the Titanicus starter box I ordered to arrive, I mocked up a colour scheme for the Knights (they seem like a perfect break from painting the Warlord), and it got me thinking about how the new Lightnings are the first Aeronautica minis on the 30k Legion army list, so I inevitably did something similar to help me figure out how to represent the 'Battle Servitor Control' upgrade on the upcoming avengers (filling in the windows & adding the Valkyrie's nose antennae to the cockpit):

gallery_53779_9225_157391.png

gallery_53779_9225_91871.png

gallery_53779_9225_145134.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So the Starter Set arrived, & I'll be going back to the Titan's I've already assembled to swap out some parts while I build the new set, but first up I couldn't resist throwing together the Cerastus Knights, which are a dream:

Scion Uhlan Samara Hattori piloting the armour ‘Eunostus’ & Marquise Zuri Ajala (Lord Scion) piloting the armour ‘Despoina’

med_gallery_53779_13609_180623.jpg

I'd never have expected purple and orange to work together, but with that grey as a buffer, they really do.

Thanks - they're a good combo of contrasting colours, similar to blue & yellow, but you've gotta be careful with the saturation and whether there are any other intense colours in the palette - going for a more ochre yellow and a warmer purple helps unify the scheme, as well as contrast with the cold silver

• 1 month later...

I've finished up painting the skeleton of my AT Warlord for anyone who's interested in what their scheme will look like on the table:

gallery_53779_13609_285266.jpg

gallery_53779_13609_252007.jpg

Plus all of my AT minis are now assembled, so here's a look at the whole Battlegroup:

gallery_53779_13609_139850.jpg

Despite having so much on my plate, I actually decided to grab some oldmarine 40k conquest kits given they're the cheapest you can easily get them and I'm eyeing the eventual phasing out of some of the older sets, so I've now got 10 scouts (they'll be bolter Recon marines for my Imperial Fists), a pair of bikes and an attack bike sitting unassembled, plus a bitz order to help with converting the riders of the latter into more era-appropriate wargear (the bikes'll be Raven Guard).