• 3 months later...

Thanks! I finished it off about a month ago and managed to keep the momentum rolling to get the pair of cerastus done too (though if you want regular/detailed updates my thread over in the AT forum's probably a better bet)

gallery_53779_13609_473957.jpg

gallery_53779_13609_820844.jpg

gallery_53779_13609_1167214.jpg

gallery_53779_13609_250937.jpg

gallery_53779_13609_669110.jpg

gallery_53779_13609_64109.jpg

Anyway, I just got delivery of a start collecting blood angels set in anticipation of it likely being discontinued, so I'm currently putting together the baal predator as a flamestorm pred for the salamanders contingent of my shattered legions, which actually happens to be my first ever rhino-chassis build which feels kinda bizarre. For the BA tactical squad, I'm planning on combining it with an existing MkIV set I've got as well as a MkIII box & the tacticals from a start collecting space marine box to build the following:

* another 10-marine salamanders vet squad

* boosting the salamander's flamer squad to a full contingent of 10

* a further 10-strong vet squad for the raven guard too

* augmenting their (melta) support squad to the full 10 too

* rounding out the imperial fists heavy bolter squad to it's max 10

* building a unit of 5 custom templar brethren (this is where I'll be concentrating all the purity seals/ robes/ etc. from the BA tacticals)

but for the time being I'm content with painting up my Titans so I'll probably just be seeing what I can assemble

Edited by Iron Hands Fanatic

• 6 months later...

It's been a hot minute but I painted a whole maniple of Titans (as well as buying a bunch more...) so I finally have a useable army!

gallery_53779_13609_524034.jpggallery_53779_13609_332767.jpg

In addition to that, I've been taking stock of my 28mm Heresy stuff with a purview of figuring out quick scheme to paint each faction given it seems there's heresy things on the horizon, so have:

Iron Hands:

IMG_20210613_2348360352.jpg

Salamanders:

IMG_20210613_150428663_HDR4.jpg

Raven Guard:

IMG_20210614_0118045182.jpg

Imperial Fists:

IMG_20210614_0050408093.jpg

Blackshield Chymerae:

IMG_20210614_0017424383.jpg

Sisters of Silence:

IMG_20210613_2357112123.jpg

Thankfully painting an actual army has helped me curb my perfectionism some what, and my painting now prioritises simple and effective techniques that cut down on stages rather than the laborious approach I used to take - so much so I might even try and paint all the minis in each faction at once.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm actually on the verge of painting some of the 28mm minis at long last - I've picked up a colourshift paint I'm keen to try out on the Iron Hands to see if it's an effective way of achieving their trademark iridescent oil sheen effect, so the 11 IH terminators + contemptor are awaiting priming alongside the sisters of silence given a leadbelcher base works for them too. In the meantime, I've been looking at the upcoming plastic Kreig sprues and the pile of old half-built cadians I have lying around and having 30k militia thoughts:

gallery_53779_13609_100359.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, over 5 years after starting this thread with the purview of building a 30k Iron Hands army, my first test mini is done...

I decided to try my luck with a colourshift paint to speed up the process of painting the IH discoloured iron effect and I'm pretty happy with how it's come out - and most importantly it's a pretty simple scheme that's easily repeatable, and with the rest of my Iron Hands primed I should be able to start batch painting soon!

IMG_20210827_1457026433.jpg

IMG_20210827_1456486123.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's really cool to see all your stuff at last.  I haven't been on the B&C website properly for a while, I've seen your titans on twitter and I still think they are tippy top good.  I love how you have organised your forces into manageable and themed sections.  I'll have to make visiting B&C a more consistant thing so I don't miss more great work.  

That's quite a neat and unique scheme for your Iron Hands. I like the orange plasma coils. :thumbsup:

Thanks, I like to paint my plasma coils like they're being heated internally, with the raised sections always drybrushed black & brass like scolding metal, and it lets me vary the inner tone to give a sense of how long since the weapon's been fired - the AT warhounds I painted above have redder coils given they're in less active poses so the coils would be cooler

It's really cool to see all your stuff at last.  I haven't been on the B&C website properly for a while, I've seen your titans on twitter and I still think they are tippy top good.  I love how you have organised your forces into manageable and themed sections.  I'll have to make visiting B&C a more consistant thing so I don't miss more great work.  

Heh, thanks - I'll still probably be posting more updates to Twitter overall but I've been coming back here as my somewhat sporadic painting schedule means it's useful to have everything in once place

What is the colourshift paint you used, it might a good base for some iron warriors

It's turbodork's 'Forrest Flux' but be warned, mileage can vary wildly - this is what it looks like over a darkened leadbelcher basecoat with successive druchii violet and nuln oil glazes - it's initial colour is very orange

I was supposed to be batch painting all of these at the same time but I couldn't resist rushing ahead and seeing what the finished scheme looked like on one of my customised cataphractii to see if the attempts at iron hand-isfying the plastic minis worked (melting the pteruges into chainmail, cutting the trim into cog-tooth patterns, cutting a cavity in the chest for bionics...)

IMG_20210921_0130477014.jpg

Beautiful!!

Thanks! I feel like I've hit a really nice sweet spot of satisfying my perfectionism enough but mainly going for a simple, repeatable scheme that looks decent on a full unit

That is a very nice and grimey IH Termie, IHF. How did you go about "melting" the leather straps into looking like chainmail?

I also love those biker conversions you posted a few months ago (especially the Tigrus combi-bolters on the attack bike).

That is a very nice and grimey IH Termie, IHF. How did you go about "melting" the leather straps into looking like chainmail?

I also love those biker conversions you posted a few months ago (especially the Tigrus combi-bolters on the attack bike).

Thanks! Re: melting the pteruges, it's a bit of a pain, but I basically use a more rounded needle-like tool that I heat in a tealight flame to forcefully impress the plastic, so the molten material displaced by the needle head flows around the tip into a rough ring shape, done at a 45 degree angle so you can get a vague pattern of rings.

I still have to strip an old biker I picked up to make the RG bike squad legal (the paint's pretty caked on so I'm not exactly looking forward to it lol) but I did recently grab a lot of 90 MkVI pauldrons off Ebay so I can move forwards with some more 40k > 30k conversions.

Thanks folks, rest of the squad's done!

IMG_20210925_1441293774.jpg

That is some excellent craftsmanship. I didn't even notice the details like the cog trim until you mentioned it. Wonderful! 

Thank you, that's really good to know! Yeah some of the cut sections of trim are a bit rough (I realise now years back when I was doing the alterations my hobby knife blades must've been pretty blunt lol) but with a few coats of paint they blend in well enough

That Cataphractii is brilliant, both the effort you've put into the details and the painting.

Thanks! Transfers & a bit of sponge weathering really do help a huge amount, I've sworn off highlighting with these so apart from a drybrush stage they're really the key steps for adding visual interest

Well I treated myself with the Contemptor after painting most of the infantry for my lil' Pride of the Legion force

gallery_53779_13609_606303.jpg

gallery_53779_13609_170197.jpg

gallery_53779_13609_465037.jpg

That cog trim remains, sublime!

Thanks, it was an easy lil way to add a bit of Iron Hands flavour to the minis without actually having to do any serious kitbashing

• 11 months later...

Hey folks it's been a hot minute - I'm not sure whether it's still worth posting here but on the off chance anyone's still interested I got my 1.5k Iron hands force finished!

FacoPUtUcAEyJb7?format=jpg&name=4096x409

They've since had their base rims painted and have some unpainted reinforcements in the form of 5 gorgon terminators, 10 seekers, a spartan and another boxnought (plus a delegatus, contemptor and 5 more cataphractii sitting unbuilt)

FUF69ljXsAAnmJs?format=jpg&name=4096x409FWSJbQoWIAABPTR?format=jpg&name=4096x409IMG_20220708_181201530_HDR3.jpg

The Age of Darkness box plus a hobby project with some pals (check out Annie_Minis on youtube for a Tale of X Gamers series I'm part of) has also got me started on the Raven Guard element of my Shattered Legions force finally, with a Vigilator, squad of Despoilers & 5 Scouts painted and a whole lot more built in the painting que.

IMG_20220706_165007655.jpgFZp-IaHXwAEZg11?format=jpg&name=4096x409Fb_HtxKXoAAnmup?format=jpg&name=4096x409FdgbLQzWYAEPlUl?format=jpg&name=4096x409