Who Let The Cogs Out? Mechanicum Project Log 16.10.18

Chaeron

I love that we got the precursor to the Blight Drones. Overall these look great, I like the dark, dirty tanks next to the brighter infantry.

Me too! I absolutely love the models, just because they are so different - and I'm really looking forward to using them and their anti-armour capabilities. Thanks so much for the positive comments - I'm really happy with the contrast!

Indeed, the big gritty tanks are truly a fantastic contrast to the brighter legions of mechanical infantry.  I can't even imagine what the "full army" shot is going to look like for this massive force!  :teehee:

Cheers Vel'Cona - the army has grown very quickly, and now I'm just really excited to get it on the tabletop! I've got a few last things that'll need doing just to round off aspects of my force, in terms of core options, and I've been lucky to pick those up very recently! 

At the weekend, I attended my first Horus Heresy Throne of Skulls - I used my Death Guard this time, just because I hadn't yet played a game with my Mechanicum - but I'm excited to do so next time round! Whilst I was up at Warhammer World, I picked up a further 20 Tech Thralls to help round off my Troops, and the Magos on Abeyant with Rad Cleanser, so I could run another support HQ choice for buffs. I've recently added four Mauler Bolt Cannon Castellax to the collection, and I've spent some time today switching weaponry between those and my other Castellax: now all of my Darkfire Castellax will have bolt-weaponry, rather than flamers, and three of my four Mauler Castellax will have Flamers for getting in close. I'll need to repaint a few arms on the already painted Castellax, but today I've also sprayed the Mauler Castellax ready to be painted in the usual scheme. 

For Loyalty and Treachery, I listed out what I had in terms of models, and their various states of completion. I'll update that now below, which should outline options and things I may develop in future!

++HQ++

Scoria (using Draykavac model) - Painted 

Magos Prime (using 40k Archmagos) - Painted 

Magos on Abeyant with Rad Cleanser - NIB

++Troops++

Two Castellax with Dark Fire Cannons and Flamers - Painted - Update: both require arms to be repainted, now with Boltguns.

Two Castellax with Dark Fire Cannons and Flamers - Painted - Update: one requires arms to be repainted, now with Boltguns.

Two Castellax with Mauler Bolt Cannons and Flamers - Sprayed, to be painted.

Two Castellax with Mauler Bolt Cannons and Flamers - Sprayed, to be painted.

6 Thallax (intending to use with Melta Bombs and Ferrox) - Painted 

6 Thallax (intending to use with Melta Bombs and Ferrox) - Painted 

10 Tech Thralls with Las Locks, Right of Pure Thought  - Painted 

10 Tech Thralls with Las Locks, Right of Pure Thought - Painted 

10 Tech Thralls with Las Locks, Right of Pure Thought - NIB

10 Tech Thralls with Las Locks, Right of Pure Thought - NIB

++Fast Attack++

Vulturax - Painted 

Vulturax - Painted 

Homonculex (using Domitar model) - Painted 

3 Ursarax with Power Fists - Painted 

++Heavy Support++

Krios Venator - Painted 

Krios Venator - Painted 

3 Thanatars - Painted 

As it stands, I'm very happy with the core - and future additions would most likely be related to Transports, or things like Destructors - but things to look at further down the line. I'm going to concentrate on getting these last few things done over the next few weeks, and getting them on the tabletop!

That sounds like a pretty beefy army so far. The horde of Tech Thralls will increase that footprint by quite a bit. :)

How did you handle the arm replacements on the Castellax? Were they magnetized or was some tinkering required to remove the unwanted parts?

That sounds like a pretty beefy army so far. The horde of Tech Thralls will increase that footprint by quite a bit. :smile.:

How did you handle the arm replacements on the Castellax? Were they magnetized or was some tinkering required to remove the unwanted parts?

It puts me at probably a competitive 4k (with a bit more available to mix and match), so I'm very happy! The Tech Thralls certainly add to the model count - will look forward to detailing those again as much as I have the first batch!

In terms of the arm replacements, it was nothing so hi-tech! I was originally just trying to prise off the Flamer/Boltgun parts from their respective arms, and then realised - I could carefully break the bond just below the elbow, and therefore do a full swap on the lower half of the arm each time! I definitely think it'll be worth it in future, just because of the respective ranges of the weaponry and what I'll use them for.

I've started blocking the colours on the Castellax and those bits of armour that need repainting, so I'll get some shots up of that soon! Once I get these four to the same standard as my first batch, I think I'll just look at a few more ways of weathering them, and taking them further - be it through decals or other details.

• 2 weeks later...

As promised, a couple of shots of the Castellax! There is the initial photo after getting them sprayed and ready, compared to their Darkfire counter-parts, as well as where I've got to so far - which is the blocking of all the colours, first steps of weathering and armour, and so will be shortly receiving the customary black wash.

castellaxwip.jpg?w=584

castellaxwip2.jpg?w=584

Before the black wash, I've just got to put Abaddon Black on the Maulers, and the Mechanicus logo - and then I can start working further on the armour and basing!

I'm currently working on a Sydonian Dragoon. You're officially working four times faster than I am. :tongue.:

It's good to see the Castellax coming along nicely.

Much appreciated Flame Boy! I've got my Dragoons to come in due course - look forward to seeing how yours progresses! :smile.:

Good job.

Thanks Bjorn!

Really like those thralls!

Cheers Charlo! I'll be working on the next 20 soon enough! Hopefully, can remove them from the sprues and get them cleaned tomorrow.

Any plans for something really mental like an Ordinatus platform?

Dragonlover

That would be lovely! Not currently, but perhaps one day...

Further to my last update, I've brought the Mauler Castellax up to the same level of completion as the Darkfires, and have gone back to weather them all by painting on some nice chipping in specific areas of use. I'll probably just need to blend a couple of the bits in further, as well as add a small amount of additional weathering on the larger spaces, but we're getting there - they're looking consistent, and I'm happy! I'll just need to go and do the same to the Thallax, Ursarax and Thanatars in due course too, so it all matches. I'm unsure how it'll work with Scoria and the Venators/Vulturax, so will see in future if I decide to go further with that.

I've also added the usual bits to the bases of the Mauler Castellax, and I have put a first batch of Ironearth down - once it dries, I'll work through the last touches with the drybrush and detailing on the cogs/gears etc. I'll also want to do a scorched effect on the flamers too, and maybe a highlight on the Mauler Cannons themselves. Hopefully I can get those finished in the next week or so!

castellaxwip3.jpg?w=584

Great work as always on those Castellax!  I have to say, I'm starting up a non-40k project soon that needs this kind of motivation, and I think your technique of finding a scheme that works and can be replicated quickly will be the key to getting my own mass-project done.  Don't know if I'll be able to maintain that level of quality, but I definitely have to give it a try.  :P

• 1 month later...

Really nice project that is almost finished quicly regarding what you had planned to paint.

No hoplites or peltasts?

Also where did you get those nice wheels on the bases?

Thanks Master Avoghai! No Hoplies or Peltasts just yet - but maybe at some point in future! I think I'd need more Titans (or at least Knights) for that. 

Wheels and basically arts and crafts cogs and gears - readily available!

Great work as always on those Castellax!  I have to say, I'm starting up a non-40k project soon that needs this kind of motivation, and I think your technique of finding a scheme that works and can be replicated quickly will be the key to getting my own mass-project done.  Don't know if I'll be able to maintain that level of quality, but I definitely have to give it a try.  :tongue.:

Cheers Vel'Cona - it's been quite awhile since I've been able to update this, but at least I can report on some progress now! Very grateful for the kind words!

I've basically finished all eight Castellax now: I'm just debating whether to add transfers, but I've weathered them all and brought them up to the same standard - so I'm happy with them visually! I finished the last few highlights and the scorched effect on the flame weaponry too, which is good!

You can see in the picture I've also included the next 20 Tech Thralls, which are sprayed and are ready to be painted - as well as the Dominus. I can then basically tick everything off my list when these are all completed!

castellaxwip5.jpg?w=584

I'm working on a storage solution too, so will post photos of that when that's completed too.

• 4 weeks later...

Some progress! First to report, is that I've finally got round to fielding my Mechanicum army! I was lucky enough to be able to arrange a game with a good friend who was incredibly helpful in running me through how things worked, what was effective and what wasn't - and how to generally wield the army. His beautiful White Scars army is mostly bikes, but with some additional nastiness, including a Land Raider (I think a Proteus), and a Knight Acheron - making for a fluffy, hard-hitting force at 3k. We were playing Shatter Strike, which could suit both armies - and was a very good game! 

My list was something like:

Scoria

2 x Dominus

4 Castellax with Darkfire

4 Castellax with Maulers

20 Fearless Thralls

20 Fearless Thralls

Homonculex

2 Vulturax
2 Thanatars

I think that covers everything: it was basically what I could fit in my case, as well as being a relatively flexible, and forgiving, Legio Cybernetica list.

A few cursory shots of how we lined up:

+++Battle vs. White Scars Photos to come+++

In the end, finished as a victory to the Mechanicum: mostly due to some absolutely incredible rolling on my part, which is also rare to the extreme. At one point, having eight Thralls left in combat and received eight wounds, I jokingly said I'd roll their Feel No Pain save one at a time for dramatic effect. I proceeded to make seven of those eight saves (failing just the last), and all I could do was apologise!

In the end, after killing both his Warlord and the Knight, we called it as I would've had two scoring units plus something like six units that could contest to my opponent's one by the last turn. Certainly, it gave me a really good appreciation for the strengths and weaknesses of the list (and each unit generally), so I was very grateful!

Just a few thoughts:

-I really do like Thanatars (both the models and the Plasma Wave rule), although they did struggle slightly more in combat than anticipated. I think recognising their strengths as Monstrous Creatures would've been better earlier on, but I know for next time!

-In a similar way, realising what Castellax can do in combat would've been beneficial, especially as I hadn't upgraded their weaponry. Equally, as MCs, they can be more effective than I realised - although their WS does make things more challenging.

-Scoria is great, but I admit I was probably too cautious. Just something to learn with target priority too, against a list like this.

-Offensively, it puts out a lot of firepower! Nice to roll lots of dice!

-I probably didn't utilise Cyberthurgy or Battlesmith to their utmost - but worth bearing in mind for future.

All in all - very happy, and looking forward to getting them on the table again soon!

On that note, I've been working on sorting a case for them - as I had to keep my planned storage solution flat whilst travelling. I've now looked to magnetise it all, which is a bit more of an effective way to carry the selection! A quick photo of that in progress too:

mechanicumcase.jpg?w=584

Whilst I can't fit everything in, it's very effective! I'll need to keep the Vulturax separate, and have the Thralls in small containers, but otherwise - it's carrying 3000pts, and an additional Thanatar, which is good going! I'll post pictures when I've finished magnetising everything and have it all in there.

Currently, I've just given the Thralls a yellow wash, and will be working through them over the next couple of weeks! Hopefully can finish those and the case soon.

Nice to see your army on the table in full glory!, sounds like you had a good friend to play with :thumbsup: (always a bonus in this game) 

A very striking and well painted army,these are the armies we'ed like to see at tourneys :biggrin.: 

cheers Mithril 

Nice to see your army on the table in full glory!, sounds like you had a good friend to play with :thumbsup: (always a bonus in this game) 

A very striking and well painted army,these are the armies we'ed like to see at tourneys :biggrin.:

cheers Mithril 

Thanks Mithril! Very lucky indeed. It's a shame I couldn't have got the Thralls and Dominus at least to a table-top standard, but hopefully they soon will be!

Impressive! It sounds like the march of the machines is continuing at a respectable pace. Your army looks good on the table. :smile.:

Cheers Flame Boy! I'll get some proper photos in due course, but I'm happy with how it looks cohesively. My big internal debate is whether I go for any form of transfers on them: I feel as though I should,  but I'm not totally sure what or where. I've got some Micro Set and Sol now, but I don't know whether it'll add anything to what I've already done. Thoughts are welcome!

• 9 months later...

+++NO SIGNAL+++

+++NO SIGNAL+++

+++NO SIGNAL+++

+++RECEIVING+++

+++DATA UPLOADING+++

+++PARSING+++

+++UPLOAD COMPLETE+++

And we're back! After a short hiatus, I'm happy to report some progress - and plans for more! Since the last update, most of my progress relates to playing: I've taken the army to a narrative Heresy event and it was great to use the Mechanicum and get some solid games in with them! I learned a lot about how they play, and had a great time in a 3k game and two Zone Mortalis battles (I can report a Traitor win overall again!). I've also used a Renegade Knights list in a tournament (right when 8th Edition was released), and that offered a really good opportunity to get to grips with the new mechanics of the game.

Here's a quick picture of the Renegade Knights list:

renegadeknights.jpg?w=584

Since Forgebane has been released, I naturally felt compelled to add the Armiger Warglaives to the arsenal. I'd seen a great conversion on social media that channelled a certain vehicle from Star Wars, and so couldn't resist the opportunity to replicate - I had two Dunecrawlers that I needed to build in any case to provide the impetus:

dunecrawlerknights.jpg?w=584

As they have a similar connector, it means I can use them on either set of legs - which is perfect for my dual-purpose Mechanicus with dubious loyalties...

I'm looking forward to painting them: I'm planning a similar style to my other Knights (a homage to the Legio Mortis), and tying in with the usual spot colours and basing. Update on that front to come soon!

Ha! It's an AT-ST Onager. I like it!

How does the Armiger body look on the Onager legs? Inquiring minds want to know. Read: Me, I want to know. :smile.:

I've now built the bodies of the Armigers, so we can see! They do look a lot like Defilers, maybe reminiscent of the 'stalk tanks' used by the Dark Mech?

dunecrawlerknights2.jpg?w=584

You'll note that as they have smaller sockets, it gives them a thinner profile in the middle - but it might fit a full Knight body better given the size of that connector? Although I will want to try that, I now also want to try a Knight's body on a Defiler's legs, as I think that'd look great with these!

Oh wow, I really like the look, thanks for taking the time. Yeah, it's got a nice Dark Mech look, naturally, exactly what I'd be looking for. I almost want to do all of these kits switched and swapped like this. I think the scale works here and the proper Knight might be too large. Yes, the connection point is too large, but some converting, bashing, and/or scratch building could solve that easy enough. *Cogs and wheels begin to turn in the back of Subtle's brain* So many great ideas...

Ha! It's an AT-ST Onager. I like it!

How does the Armiger body look on the Onager legs? Inquiring minds want to know. Read: Me, I want to know. :smile.:

You'll note that as they have smaller sockets, it gives them a thinner profile in the middle - but it might fit a full Knight body better given the size of that connector? Although I will want to try that, I now also want to try a Knight's body on a Defiler's legs, as I think that'd look great with these!

Dunecrawler and Knights does indeed share an identical connection.

Too be clear the Knight on the , Dunecrawler legs looks too,short. The ,Armigers on the Dunecrawler legs look right with the exception of the mating connector,perhaps if the connector could be beefed up. I wish I had the picture of the centaur Knight ,at the Warhammer store.I think you would appreciate it.

Archived