Who Let The Cogs Out? Mechanicum Project Log 16.10.18

Chaeron

This project log and choice of army represents a relatively substantial change from my normal endeavours, as I am typically painting Death Guard both pre- and post-Heresy in large quantities. To transition therefore to a loyalist force therefore represents a rather different challenge, driven in part of my love for Skitarii, but also for the potential gaming possibilities that I thought would be incredibly fun to explore. I had been made aware of the possibilities of allying with Flesh Tearers previously, and it was only recently I decided that it would be great fun to try this out, as it would be something incredibly different from my usual ‘slog-it-and-see’ Death Guard approach. The opportunity to then expand a Skitarii army beyond that prospective list was assisted in part by the ‘Start Collecting’ boxes, and some opportune purchases of Kastelan Robots and Sicarans. I was therefore set: I had a goal of a list that I wanted to play with and develop, a great opportunity to pick up the resources I needed, and the thought of having a rather different, visually striking army to boot.

This log will hopefully chronicle the progress of this army as I build and wage a very different type of battle in the 41st Millennium that I’ve ever done before! It’s refreshing to do something where nearly everything is unbuilt and hasn’t been previously painted, so will hopefully offer some good modelling opportunities as I start from the sprue. I’m tentatively thinking that things may be somewhat dual-purpose, depending on how ‘dark’ I make them, as not everything’s allegiance is binary…

I've worked towards a core of six Vanguard units - one of which will have three Plasma Calivers, and the rest will have three Arc Rifles. Here they are fully built:

skitariivanguard1.jpg

In order to get a correct number of Arc Rifles, I bought extra from the Kataphron sprue - and with a cut Radium Carbine, and a small piece of plasticard, we were in business!

customarcrifles2.jpg

This log will continue to chronicle my progress with this army, and the list going forward!

you are a lot more clever than I, but we had the same idea for the breacher arc rifles. I Just glued the spare one I found to one of the shoulders of my vanguard and gave him a pointing hand, so he looks a bit more like he was completely connected to the machine. Will give you pics of it later!

Good idea with the kataphron Sprue arc rifles!

Thank you! I think it works nicely...

Nice conversion! I hadn't considered doing that. Any idea what direction you're going to go with the color scheme yet?

I will be waiting patiently for more!

My fear was definitely that they'd be too large - but I took the plunge, and I think working them into the Radium stock helps. They're big, but could just be another Forgeworld's pattern... which could conveniently influence my choice for how I'll paint them :lol: At this moment, I'm definitely leaning towards the Ryza scheme, from what I've seen so far - and I do love painting orange...

you are a lot more clever than I, but we had the same idea for the breacher arc rifles. I Just glued the spare one I found to one of the shoulders of my vanguard and gave him a pointing hand, so he looks a bit more like he was completely connected to the machine. Will give you pics of it later!

I did also consider that! But, I also wanted them to aesthetically all be similar too - hence my dilemma and hopefully what has come from that as a solution! Would like to see pics though!

Some progress! I've now sprayed the entirety of the Vanguard, which is pleasing. There are a few mouldlines I've missed on faces which'll have to be fixed - but mainly fine. At the same time, I sprayed the Dominus and the Kastelan Robots - pre-built and sprayed Ruststalkers and Infiltrators lurk in the back of the photograph...

skitariispray3.jpg?w=584

Next, is trying out the test scheme. I've leant towards Ryza, and so really want to try this. Will post a photo in due course of that...

Nice idea with the Arc rifles! They could easily just pass for a different pattern.

Cheers, I'm just glad they weren't absolutely giant - otherwise I would've tried to have done them under-slung like Heavy Bolters... I figured at that size though, they were mechanised enough to carry.

I did find it odd - but then, harking back to the old Tactical Squads where you had to buy the extra special/heavy weapons you wanted... I can see why. But by virtue of these weapons not being readily available elsewhere I had to get somewhat creative, as buying six squads is enough for anyone!

If the weather holds today, I've got some Drop Pods to spray...

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress!

++UPDATE++

Finally, have put a base layer of orange on all of the Skitarii Vanguard, the four Robots and Datasmiths, and my Tech-Priest Dominus. Quite a large batch, but it's good to get the main colours down first and blocked, before working in the detail.

skitariiorange4.jpg?w=584

Next step will be to do all of the metals, before washing the cloaks and metal - and then I'll split off into poses and batch paint thereafter. Probably involves a final full batch paint of OSL weaponry, but that'll be fine!

• 4 weeks later...

Some progress!

Having completed the metals on all of the Skitarii Vanguard, I've now given them all the first wash:

skitariiwip5.jpg

Next steps will be detailing near the cloaks, before they are tidied and washed in turn. Getting there!

A lot of lovely orange - true assembly line work here the Omnissiah would be proud with your dedication to efficiency :tongue.:

Cheers WarriorFish! It's good to be able to do them in a batch, and is really helping to avoid missing details.

++UPDATE++

I've made (yet more!) progress - main colours on the bases and radium carbines, and I've done all of the eye lenses, which you can see in the picture below:

skitariiwip6.jpg?w=584

I've got about 15 more models with trim on torsos and weapons left to do after a batch session last night. Then, I'll work through doing all the 'purity seals' and backpack lenses as a batch, and then hopefully move onto highlighting the weapons, tidying up the cloaks and weathering. All going smoothly though, and happy - these are a joy to paint! 

An Ironstrider I purchased arrived yesterday, so at least after I've got the majority of troops completed, I can diversify and go back to the Robots and that!

So many dudes . . . awesome and ambitious project, though!

Cheers Vel'Cona!

++Update++

I'm now simply waiting on things to dry!

I've tidied the cloaks and washed them, I've highlighted the carbines, and picked out all the purity seals.

skitariinearfinal8.jpg?w=584

The bases have been covered in Martian Iron Earth, and awaiting that drying - as well as the black rims. Few bits to tidy up there, which'll be done in the weathering stage.

I feel some of the backpacks need a tiny bit of work, so I'll add stuff to that in due course. Looking lovely and cohesive though!

The skitarii are looking fantastic!

A hair dryer does wonders to speed up the dry time on those bases I find. It's saved me a ton of time.

Cheers Beardbattered!

The bases have cracked relatively nicely - I wasn't in a rush, but pretty happy. I'm thinking they will probably need a drybrush just for contrast, as it may just help to pick out some of the raised edges and crevices. On the whole though, I really can't complain!

I'm thinking I may have to go down the hair dryer route for the bigger ones, such as with the Dunecrawlers and the Robots though! 

I wish I had that level of motivation . . . I'm proud of myself if I can just get a model or two assembled a day, let alone painting them.  Crazy awesome to see this many done at once!

Now I'll need to stalk your ETL vows to see what's coming up next . . . :ph34r.:

I wish I had that level of motivation . . . I'm proud of myself if I can just get a model or two assembled a day, let alone painting them.  Crazy awesome to see this many done at once!

Now I'll need to stalk your ETL vows to see what's coming up next . . . :ph34r.:

Cheers Vel'Cona - I've always enjoyed doing this, and it's really helpful to avoid missing things, and to make sure they all look uniform! 

If only I were pledged to the Ad Mech this year... alas...! :ph34r.:

Yes well done on your painting! I have to spend hours on one model to get it complete, if I batch paint like you I start getting sloppy so bravo :smile.:

Cheers HackedDuck - it's definitely worthwhile if you can not drop that standard. It's always my concern - and if it does come close, I do consciously stop myself. All now to do is to tidy up the few instances of basing that weren't perfect, and some lights on the back of the backpacks, and we're probably close to done!

• 2 weeks later...
Looking good. I see I'm not the only one who does mass batch painting. Ryza looks pretty cool. I went with a classic Mars scheme but after looking through the painting guide I kind of wish I had gone Metallica.

• 3 months later...

That's what I call a group painting ! :laugh.:

Any close up to see the details of your minis?

Looking good. I see I'm not the only one who does mass batch painting. Ryza looks pretty cool. I went with a classic Mars scheme but after looking through the painting guide I kind of wish I had gone Metallica.

Thanks both! I'll look to do some close-ups when I finally get around to doing the little basing detail corrections I need to do...

Apologies for not updating this in ages - with ETL coming along, I've been furiously painting for the Realm of Chaos! I did manage a lot of points, and have added a further four Renegade Knights to my Legio Mortis themed house-hold (so have a nice set of five, for future). Photo included in the spoiler below, just because it's also got a few Chaos-themed bits in!

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/TheNewAgeOutlaw/GW/ETLVow2Complete3_zpst8qr6ibr.jpg

Next on the painting table are four Kastellan Robots, 10 Infiltrators/Ruststalkers, and hopefully a Magos or two. That said, I've added to the Mechanicum contingent in the last few days. I previously only had three Thallax, so am working towards a solid 2.5k list, of which this'll form the crux:

mechanicumstart9.jpg?w=584

Aiming for a Legio Cybernetica list, hopefully themed towards the Dark Mechanicum if I can... All ties in nicely I hope! Will keep you updated on progress as we go.

Archived