Write for Black Library

hummus

Whilst this topic is fine in the Black Library subsection, I'm moving it to the News subsection to give it more attention smile.png

We know that at least one story from the last submission was published (this one) and the author has gone on to write two more that have been published, so there's hope for all of us!

We also know that the Black Library pays 5p per word for short stories. I have no idea how that compares to the rest of the industry.

It might seem like a lot of effort for £500, but the real advantage is the leg up it gives you on the rest of the publishing world.

And for myself personally, it'd be a goal complete smile.png

I think I've got a good enough outline in my head, I just need to get working on it. Probably tomorrow after work.

Oh, that's really cool!

I have always dreamed of such a opportunity. :)

Ok, got one month....Black Angels or Storm Riders....hard decision...

Is it necessary to have a finished story or is it enough to have this 500 words part and to work on the rest later on?

Oh, that's really cool!

I have always dreamed of such a opportunity. smile.png

Ok, got one month....Black Angels or Storm Riders....hard decision...

Is it necessary to have a finished story or is it enough to have this 500 words part and to work on the rest later on?

The limit for submission is 500 words and a separate paragraph of the overall storyline. I take it that once they've narrowed down the number of successful entries, they'd get in contact with the authors and take it from there.

I know it's probably an exercise in futility, but I'll try anyway. You never know, maybe I'm secretly the Mark Twain of our time?

I know it's probably an exercise in futility, but I'll try anyway. You never know, maybe I'm secretly the Mark Twain of our time?

BL employed CS Goto...you have a shot

hm... Now that I think about it.

Do they really seek new authors, a couple of short stories or just new ideas to use them for themselves, 'cause they are running out of them?

Do they really seek new authors, a couple of short stories or just new ideas to use them for themselves, 'cause they are running out of them?

Rookie mistake. Google "Will a publisher steal my idea?" and consider your wrist gently slapped for that rookie myth.

"To be absolutely blunt, this is a fear one hears only among amateur writers. Professional writers have lots of concerns of their own, but this isn't one of them." -- writing-world.com.

And on a practical level, bear in mind how much you like 40K. Now imagine there's a building full of several hundred people and a large freelancer pool that like it that much too, but even more, as they've worked hard to make it their careers. Does it seem likely they're out of ideas? Ideas are free and everywhere. Having an idea is the easiest thing in the world, to paraphrase Neil Gaiman. Making that idea happen is the trick. And with 30 years of evocative, rich 40K lore, ideas are practically sunning themselves half-dressed in the sun, begging to inspire people already. You can't read a codex or a sourcebook without thinking "...dude, I have an idea." 

And on a knuckling-down uber-practical level, are BL really going to - for example - come to me or Dan or any of the other freelancers and say "Hey, dude! We know you've not had any ideas for a while, but you don't have to worry about feeding your family any more. We've finally got an idea for you, from some unpublished guys and girls online!"

Bad Kelborn. Bad! Do not pass Go, do not collect £200.

tl;dr -- Don't worry about it, dude. Submit, and good luck!

Rookie mistake. Google "Will a publisher steal my idea?" and consider your wrist gently slapped for that rookie myth.

"To be absolutely blunt, this is a fear one hears only among amateur writers. Professional writers have lots of concerns of their own, but this isn't one of them." -- writing-world.com.

And on a practical level, bear in mind how much you like 40K. Now imagine there's a building full of several hundred people and a large freelancer pool that like it that much too, but even more, as they've worked hard to make it their careers. Does it seem likely they're out of ideas? Ideas are free and everywhere. Having an idea is the easiest thing in the world, to paraphrase Neil Gaiman. Making that idea happen is the trick. And with 30 years of evocative, rich 40K lore, ideas are practically sunning themselves half-dressed in the sun, begging to inspire people already. You can't read a codex or a sourcebook without thinking "...dude, I have an idea."

And on a knuckling-down uber-practical level, are BL really going to - for example - come to me or Dan or any of the other freelancers and say "Hey, dude! We know you've not had any ideas for a while, but you don't have to worry about feeding your family any more. We've finally got an idea for you, from some unpublished guys and girls online!"

Bad Kelborn. Bad! Do not pass Go, do not collect £200.

tl;dr -- Don't worry about it, dude. Submit, and good luck!

I think my pitch for a story about a young girl who uses a bow and arrow to feed her family by fighting through a maze on a post apocalyptic world AND also is genetically different from the social castes of her society and hunted by vampires and werewolves for it would be too original for BL not to steal. The love triangle between her handsome immortal vampire boyfriend and average joe crush who is just a baker forced into a life or death situation would provide some real drama you just don't see in literature these days.

Only if the werewolve is half naked the whole book.

This is interesting. I might aswell try.

Got the easter weekend free.

The secret diary of a guardsmen ;)

*The Commissar walked between the Guardsman, as if he could measure their worth just by looking. A scar crossed his left eye. Rumour had it, that he did not replace his blind eye so he wouldn't have the trouble of closing it to aim.*

I think my pitch for a story about a young girl who uses a bow and arrow to feed her family by fighting through a maze on a post apocalyptic world AND also is genetically different from the social castes of her society and hunted by vampires and werewolves for it would be too original for BL not to steal. The love triangle between her handsome immortal vampire boyfriend and average joe crush who is just a baker forced into a life or death situation would provide some real drama you just don't see in literature these days.

Book I of 'The Twilegiant Games Saga' coming December 2016.

I'll have a crack at this again, despite my naff and cliched writing, because I have so much damn fun doing it, and I really love BL for giving me the chance every so often. 

Archived