Write for Black Library

hummus

Got me, I'm a rookie.

If my question offended someone, I'm sorry. Was not my intention.

Thanks for clearifying agains, A D B. Seems like I owe you something. ;)

Is there someone, who would like to be a test reader, when my story is done and before I'll send it? Mostly because of gramar, vocabulary and so on.

A D B maybe? :P;)

I was already planning to write a Flesh Tearers Novella...so a 500 words sample of a Short (Though 10 000 seems a little bit more difficult^^) doesn't seems that difficult, mostly since i was already on the ideas process.

Flesh Tearers...be one with the jungle...

Posted · Hidden by Brother Casman, March 24, 2016 - Off topic
Hidden by Brother Casman, March 24, 2016 - Off topic

hm... Now that I think about it.

Do they really seek new authors, a couple of short stories or just new ideas to use them for themselves, 'cause they are running out of them?

Rookie mistake. Google "Will a publisher steal my idea?" and consider your wrist gently slapped for that rookie myth.

"To be absolutely blunt, this is a fear one hears only among amateur writers. Professional writers have lots of concerns of their own, but this isn't one of them." -- writing-world.com.

And on a practical level, bear in mind how much you like 40K. Now imagine there's a building full of several hundred people and a large freelancer pool that like it that much too, but even more, as they've worked hard to make it their careers. Does it seem likely they're out of ideas? Ideas are free and everywhere. Having an idea is the easiest thing in the world, to paraphrase Neil Gaiman. Making that idea happen is the trick. And with 30 years of evocative, rich 40K lore, ideas are practically sunning themselves half-dressed in the sun, begging to inspire people already. You can't read a codex or a sourcebook without thinking "...dude, I have an idea."

And on a knuckling-down uber-practical level, are BL really going to - for example - come to me or Dan or any of the other freelancers and say "Hey, dude! We know you've not had any ideas for a while, but you don't have to worry about feeding your family any more. We've finally got an idea for you, from some unpublished guys and girls online!"

Bad Kelborn. Bad! Do not pass Go, do not collect £200.

tl;dr -- Don't worry about it, dude. Submit, and good luck!

I think that's a little unfair. For example, no matter how hard I work, I never get a call back to star in adult films. Some people just aren't meant to achieve their dreams.

This is a much less specific writing prompt than the last open submission. RIP TBL's inbox. Hopefully they have some interns.

It's a cool opportunity though. The lack of specificity gives writers a chance to write more to their strengths. I'd love to see more stuff like John French's.

"Your story must adhere to the theme ‘The Imperium of Man’." Eh, that's a bit of a disheartening stipulation, but I guess it's expected. Not about to stop me, anyways. I'll just need to stick on my loyalists hat and see what I come up with.

I don't know whether to feel relieved or annoyed that I could never hope to write anything for the Black Library because even if I didn't have a years-long writer's block, I can't plan out anything beyond the prologue. And characterization? 'Faithful characterization is appreciated but optional' may as well be my fanfiction motto.

The Commissar walked between the Guardsman, as if he could measure their worth just by looking. A scar crossed his left eye. Rumour had it, that he did not replace his blind eye so he wouldn't have the trouble of closing it to aim.*

Pragmatic commissar is best commissar.

"Your story must adhere to the theme ‘The Imperium of Man’." Eh, that's a bit of a disheartening stipulation, but I guess it's expected. Not about to stop me, anyways. I'll just need to stick on my loyalists hat and see what I come up with.

Chaos SM have just as much to do with the Imperium as Loyalists

As much as I like crafting background for my minis, I'm not particularly interested in writing professionally, nor do I think my conscious perception of certain elements and characterizations within the setting conforms to the 'official' view GW and BL presents us with in the majority of their stories and novels.

No harm in trying out, I suppose. I wish all my frater the very best of luck in this endeavor. thumbsup.gif

hm... Now that I think about it.

Do they really seek new authors, a couple of short stories or just new ideas to use them for themselves, 'cause they are running out of them?

Rookie mistake. Google "Will a publisher steal my idea?" and consider your wrist gently slapped for that rookie myth.

"To be absolutely blunt, this is a fear one hears only among amateur writers. Professional writers have lots of concerns of their own, but this isn't one of them." -- writing-world.com.

And on a practical level, bear in mind how much you like 40K. Now imagine there's a building full of several hundred people and a large freelancer pool that like it that much too, but even more, as they've worked hard to make it their careers. Does it seem likely they're out of ideas? Ideas are free and everywhere. Having an idea is the easiest thing in the world, to paraphrase Neil Gaiman. Making that idea happen is the trick. And with 30 years of evocative, rich 40K lore, ideas are practically sunning themselves half-dressed in the sun, begging to inspire people already. You can't read a codex or a sourcebook without thinking "...dude, I have an idea."

And on a knuckling-down uber-practical level, are BL really going to - for example - come to me or Dan or any of the other freelancers and say "Hey, dude! We know you've not had any ideas for a while, but you don't have to worry about feeding your family any more. We've finally got an idea for you, from some unpublished guys and girls online!"

Bad Kelborn. Bad! Do not pass Go, do not collect £200.

tl;dr -- Don't worry about it, dude. Submit, and good luck!

I think my pitch for a story about a young girl who uses a bow and arrow to feed her family by fighting through a maze on a post apocalyptic world AND also is genetically different from the social castes of her society and hunted by vampires and werewolves for it would be too original for BL not to steal. The love triangle between her handsome immortal vampire boyfriend and average joe crush who is just a baker forced into a life or death situation would provide some real drama you just don't see in literature these days.

And, just like that, you gifted A D-B with the origin story for Nefertari. msn-wink.gif

I scribble so many stories and then I see an announcement like this and then my mind goes blank!

Just the other week I was trying to figure where I'd read a story I liked then remembered it was my own. I wouldn't care about being paid at all if I could get that into canon, now I can't even remember what it was.

I had an idea in a chat at a BL weekender a couple of years ago and now can't remember what it was. ADB, a man we know is not afraid of setting people straight, considered it and then a grin broke out across his face and he declared, "That would be pretty rad!" Now I've forgotten what it was.

My favourite bit of my own writing was a story I wrote about 5 years ago about two Imperial Guard survivors (a man and a woman) who managed to stumble upon information that made them valuable to a space marine chapter and thus became a window into life aboard a space marine cruiser which was effectively a city/culture/community in space and showed just how scary and inhuman marines were to ordinary humans...then last year I belatedly read the Night Lords trilogy and realised ADB had beaten me to the punch so thoroughly that the entire idea was pulverized.

That does illustrate an important point though - I think like so many things professional writing is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration. Ideas are abundant but what sets apart the successes is that they sit down and put the time in to hammer out all the details and polish the story to a higher standard.

While I have always loved reading I've never managed to write anything over a few paragraphs in length. So I wish anyone planning on doing this good luck and I await to see someone new in print!!!

I'll throw my hat in. Was considering a Sisters story but think Arbites might be better for a short story. Perhaps something to do a spree of serial killings and a sense cult that isn't stuck on death metal covers or rampant sex?

Plus my idea for a Sisters story isn't refined enough yet to write anyways.

That said being the nut I am the whole 10k words will be written out to at least a draft form so I can pick out the best 500 words of the story.

-snip-

I think my pitch for a story about a young girl who uses a bow and arrow to feed her family by fighting through a maze on a post apocalyptic world AND also is genetically different from the social castes of her society and hunted by vampires and werewolves for it would be too original for BL not to steal. The love triangle between her handsome immortal vampire boyfriend and average joe crush who is just a baker forced into a life or death situation would provide some real drama you just don't see in literature these days.

Well that was painful to read as a summary...

Any idea what level of torture, sex, language, etc... GW is willing to print these days. I could dust of the Sisters story I was working on, but it was a bit dark/messed up at times. (And no, it isn't erotica.....).

-snip-

Well that was painful to read as a summary...

I'm just a misunderstood teenage girl, out of place in high school. You wouldn't understand my struggle.

Thanks for that insight ADB. Great post. I loved writing my 400 word FW Titan Contest story, so maybe I'll give this a shot as well.

(By the way, FINALLY got to read my Collector's Edition of Talon of Horus this month, loved it!)

If you happen across this A.D.B. (Or anyone with experience for that matter) do you have any advice for pitch writing on these contests? I was fortunate enough to make it to the latter stages of the submission window, but ultimately fell short of having my story get picked up.

My BL contact said my 500 word sample reviewed quite well, but they needed me to flesh out my pitch a little more. Seeing as they ultimately turned down my final product, I'm assuming the flaw was in said pitch. I did a lot of research on pitch writing, but most of it was for novels or longer works and didn't fit the unique format of the submission window.

Being told my submission was one of only 20 to make it to that stage was equal parts encouraging and soul crushing. Even more so because I got the impression my actual writing was sound. /pity party

So any advice anyone could offer on short story pitches would be appreciated!

It could be a number of things. I'd have to see your pitch to tell you what I'd have thought of it as a reviewer. It could be that while your excerpt read well, the pitch didn't sound like a complete story, or a story that would be interesting in its entirety to the eventual readers. You may just not have given them a good enough idea of what the story was going to be about, how it was going to develop, and then end. You have to remember that they A: expect you to give them the best 500 words, but B: have to publish a finish product.

Did you make sure that your pitch did that? Gave a clear beginning, development, and ending, which gave a clear path for the story and the motivations of the characters? You know your story. The readers don't. If they were asking you to "flesh out" your pitch, that would be my best guess. That your writing was good, but other submissions gave a clearer idea of how their stories were going to look as a finished product.

Also, if you made it to the final 20, you have to think that's out of thousands of submissions. That's really good if it's your first try, especially considering the small number of accepted entries. Crushed souls just come with the territory of trying to become a published author for most people. Not everybody gets to write BDSM Twilight fanfiction and become a multi-millionaire.

It could be a number of things. I'd have to see your pitch to tell you what I'd have thought of it as a reviewer. It could be that while your excerpt read well, the pitch didn't sound like a complete story, or a story that would be interesting in its entirety to the eventual readers. You may just not have given them a good enough idea of what the story was going to be about, how it was going to develop, and then end. You have to remember that they A: expect you to give them the best 500 words, but B: have to publish a finish product.

Did you make sure that your pitch did that? Gave a clear beginning, development, and ending, which gave a clear path for the story and the motivations of the characters? You know your story. The readers don't. If they were asking you to "flesh out" your pitch, that would be my best guess. That your writing was good, but other submissions gave a clearer idea of how their stories were going to look as a finished product.

Also, if you made it to the final 20, you have to think that's out of thousands of submissions. That's really good if it's your first try, especially considering the small number of accepted entries. Crushed souls just come with the territory of trying to become a published author for most people. Not everybody gets to write BDSM Twilight fanfiction and become a multi-millionaire.

You underestimate my power.

Archived