Hate in their eyes, Death in their fists

Guiltysparc

There is no great mystery to war, no hidden shimmer of elegance in the butchery. You punch a man in the face enough times and, either through submission of will or death of body, he'll give up. Sometimes though, you have to throw a hook instead of a jab.

-Unknown Sargent, Naroda Detachment, Legio XII circa M31

We beat them back. It was a bloody hard fight, but we beat them back. That makes it three times the traitorous bastards broke against our walls. When the Emperor, beloved by all, was handing out the genetic material that encoded for tactics in the primarchs, he must have spilled Angron's lot on the laboratory floor. If the fools keep this up we should be able to hold until reinforcements from Calth or perhaps Armatura arrive.

-Recovered data fragment, Sector Ultramar circa M31

Taking its name after the highest peak in the Ural mountains, the Naroda detachment was the brainchild of 8th Captain Khârn during a moment of respite from the butcher's nails. It had been after a particularly difficult and not terribly successful fight against a well entrenched group of Ultramar Auxilia. Three times warriors of 12th, his brothers, had charged the walls only be broken upon them. "This is madness" he thought with exhaustion setting in, dulling the bite of the nails.

It was then that it hit him. He activated his vox link to the Conqueror. "Lotara, " he said, "ready the Leviathans for drop." The fourth charge was met by the screaming of human soldiers rather than the withering fire of their las weapons as Leviathan dreadnoughts in massive drop pods fell from the sky.

As the 12th battled across the galaxy these tactics proved extremely successful. Members of Naroda became known as The Breakers and to be chosen by Khârn to join the unit was a great honor, even among the informal ranks of the World Eaters. This was a company of warriors whose status had been elevated purely by kicking ass rather than kissing it. Legionaries who were part of the core assault unit were picked from Khârn's own 8th company and given bronze markings on their face plates to set them apart from the other members of Naroda. The rest were also hand picked by Khârn but from other companies in the 12th, each excelling at the role they were chosen for whether they were speeder pilots adept at hunting enemy armor or tactical sargents known for their ability to resist the nails long enough to secure key battlefield objectives.

As the nails further degraded Khârn's mind he used The Breakers with less and less restraint leading to the eventual depletion of the already limited stock of Legion Leviathans, reducing the overall effectiveness of the detachment. After the failure at Terra, the Naroda were broken apart by the dissolution of the Eaters of Worlds into myriad war bands until they finally faded from memory.

gallery_92768_11638_218832.jpg

Hello AOD brothers!

I wanted to start another WIP-esque thread to compliment my full WIP thread in the WIP sub forum. That thread is purely about build and paint progress. What i want to do with this thread is post completed models only, attempts at fluff, and chronicle the blooding of my army. As you may notice, my eaters are pristine and free of blood spatter. My plan is to apply spatter to units based on game performance. I don't want that progression to get lost in the overall WIP-ness of the other thread, so it will get posted in here along with the general progression of the army build. I'll keep the army pic in this post updated as I add units as well.

I love the Leviathan model so i built an army list around two of them. The theme behind the army is that its a special detachment that Khârn employed against heavily defended targets that had proven resilient against the usual full speed ahead 12th legion approach. Its based on the use of dreadnoughts in drop pods and fast moving anti-armor speeders to support the advance of assault troops in heavy tanks.

The full detachment will look like this, with a couple variations for 2500, 2000, and 1850pt games.

HQ

Khârn

Gahlan Surlak

Troops

15 Despoilers

10 Tactical Marines, Rhino

Elites

Contemptor Cortus, Dreadpod

Fast Attack

3 Javelin Speeders

Heavy Support

Spartan

Sicaran

Leviathan, Dreadpod

Leviathan, Dreadpod

The goal here will be to post up each unit as i finish it along with a bit of fluff about how they fit into the theme and also track the progress of the blood spatter with some narrative on what happened in the game to earn it.

Oh my... those models look absolutely stunning!

I love the immaculate, clean finish. The smooth, slick lines. The bold colours used!

This will be a beautiful army.

..4 Heavy Support slots?? I assume the Spartan will be a dedicated transport for someone?

I want to battle you. Your army will look great squaring up to mine, and we'll draw the crowds from the 4 corners of the gaming club! :-P

**Edit** I approve of the weapon options on your Leviathan! To me that gun is more useful than the Grav Bombard as you can chip a Rhino down then charge the contents :-D

Thank you!

That list is just the overall build list to handle all three point levels.  At any given time I'll be fielding a subset of it.  For example, at 2500 the sicaran isn't there.  At 2000 one of the levis and the cortus aren't there, etc. 

Once you've played with a Sicaran you're not going to want to drop it, it's a lot of fun and performs the way Tanks in this game should! :-P

The list will be good, scary dreads dropping in, Javelins providing fire support.

3 is a magic number for the Pods as you can land both Leviathans down turn 1.

The three variations i am planning on fielding with be thus...all will use the berserker assault row and work basically the same way.

2500pts

HQ

Khârn

Gahlan Surlak

Troops

15 Despoilers

10 Tactical Marines

10 Tactical Marines

Elites

Contemptor Cortus - Kheres, Dreadpod

Fast Attack

3 Javelin Speeders - MM/CML/HK

Heavy Support

Spartan - AC, Flare shield, Aux Drive 

Leviathan - Grav/Claw, Phosphex, AC, Dreadpod

Leviathan - Melta/Drill, Phosphex, AC, Dreadpod

2000pts

HQ

Khârn

Gahlan Surlak

Troops

15 Despoilers

10 Tactical Marines

10 Tactical Marines

Fast Attack

2 Javelin Speeders - MM/CML/HK

Heavy Support

Spartan - AC, Flare shield

Sicaran - AC, Lascannons

Leviathan - Melta/Claw, Phosphex, AC, Dreadpod

1850pts

HQ

Khârn

Gahlan Surlak

Troops

15 Despoilers

Fast Attack

2 Javelin Speeders - MM/CML/HK 

Heavy Support

Spartan, AC, Flare shield 

Leviathan - Melta/Claw, Phosphex, AC, Dreadpod

I like the lists. The 2500 one is the best as it's the most themed and really takes shape with those additional units and points.

Heresy games tend to start at 2500, and even the ITC 30k tournament operates at that level. Might be worth building up to that from the start, although it will be nice to have all the options regardless.

I like the lists. The 2500 one is the best as it's the most themed and really takes shape with those additional units and points.

Heresy games tend to start at 2500, and even the ITC 30k tournament operates at that level. Might be worth building up to that from the start, although it will be nice to have all the options regardless.

The 2500 was the first one i locked in with some help from a few other forum members.  It really set the theme for what i wanted to build.  I think the LVO 30k tables were running at 2500.  

Then i saw that the 30k tables at adepticon were at 2000 so i thought i better have a 2000pt version...then i saw that warzone atlanta (another ITC regional GT event) at the end of the year is at 1850 as a 40k event that allows full 30k armies, so i thought i shouldi have an 1850 list aimed at killing 40k armies in case i want to play there or in other 40k centric events...and so i ended up with the three lists.

The 2500pt is definitely my favorite and i like the idea of building up from there.

I flip flop seemingly daily on the weathering, lol.  When i look at my pics i lean towards adding some light weathering but when i look the actual models i change my mind.  In real life they have a bit more grey/white depth than what gets captured by my camera.

Question to the AoD brethren...i'd like to work in some squad markings on my dudes.  I'm not sure what to use, i want something small and simple.  I was thinking a freehand I and II on the two regular tacicals and maybe an VIII on the despoilers to represent their sourcing from the 8th company.  Any other ideas?

IF not, it'll certainly have a lot of inspiration.

That said though - one cool thing you could do is a bloody hand print on a certain section of the armour?

Greave/ Hand/ Shoulder - all either left/ right depending on squad?

Hmm, well my despoiler squad will have bronze face plates akin to the way the B@C word bearers are painted up...so maybe that will suffice for squad markings for them.

i like the idea of the blood hand a lot, though i'm not sure if i want to use it on enough models for it to constitute a squad marking, though these are hand picked even at the tactical marine level per my fluff....so maybe i could throw a couple hands in each squad but change up their placement based on if they are in squad 1 or 2.

• 1 month later...

OK, so i semi forgot about this thread while still updated my main wip plog. I still want to put up the finished pics of each unit as I go so here are the ones i have done already.

The first tactical squad...

gallery_92768_11638_327215.jpg

My bac contemptor...he will double as a cortus and regular contemptor in different lists.

gallery_92768_11638_110559.jpg

Khârn, my warhammer spirit animal.

gallery_92768_11638_103214.jpg

gallery_92768_11638_13550.jpg

gallery_92768_11638_117885.jpg

gallery_92768_11638_158660.jpg

The leviathan and his ride...

gallery_92768_11638_248167.jpg

and most recently, 1/3rd of Khârn's unit of despoilers...after doing these guys with silver bonding studs and red power cables on their feet i decided i will go back to the regular tac squad and do the same to them.

gallery_92768_11638_361276.jpg

Little late to this thread - but I like it, a very nice nice army you have there!  If the Leviathan were to have been released when I first started collecting my 30k army, I would have done exactly this - starting one around it :)

Regarding the weathering mentioned earlier, remember that you can always add it later, but you cannot take it away so easily.  If in doubt, just paint a single squad with the weathering, make it a tradition within that unit only that they wear the gore of their enemies with pride.

Archived