There's a rumor they follow Tzeentch too.

I don't know where you heard that but it's ridiculous.

Now, could their Prognosticators be pawns in a Tzeentch deception/plot? Sure. But being duped by Tzeentch doesn't make you a follower.

Still very slowly chipping away at second book. It may have something to say about this.

I also think it looks like an Iron Halo / Chapter master specific marking , the heraldry  seems to just be the skull. 

As far as the Tzeentch thing , I have not read that anywhere , if you could point me in the direction of such discussion it would be much appreciated. 

Edited by Bladewolf

The iron warriors one seems very unsubtle and the tzeench one seems really flimsy. I'm sure we could come up with a few better ones. Head taking khorne worship? The have a very active artistic element in the chapter, slaanesh? What are we missing?

Apparently what we are missing is the fact that they are loyal followers of the Emperor.

Not sure why we are suddenly trying to make them into chaos worshippers.

The iron warriors one seems very unsubtle and the tzeench one seems really flimsy. I'm sure we could come up with a few better ones. Head taking khorne worship? The have a very active artistic element in the chapter, slaanesh? What are we missing?

Apparently what we are missing is the fact that they are loyal followers of the Emperor.

Not sure why we are suddenly trying to make them into chaos worshippers.

Joke is on you, the Emperor is a Chaos God and all loyalists are Chaos Worshippers! 

I would say that It is highly likely that it is a sub section of loyalist Iron Warriors, either brought under the wing of the Ultramarines by the Iron Palatine from "Iron within"/a Loyal warsmith (Kyr Vhalen) or just an extreme coincidence in scheme and Icon, that is,  if it is ever explained in the Horus heresy. Which of course it will not be, and will be a mystery Legion like the Minotaurs, Carcharodons and that other one I cant remember the name of.

Edited by Cthonia

• 3 weeks later...

I posted this in the Uptramarine thread as well. Not sure how many folks head over that way.

I see in the old thread some brought up the idea of the mechanical faced Eikos Lamiad potentially being an insperation for the SS. Do we know anything about what happened post Calth to Tauro Nicodemus? I think as a superstitious chapter it's an avenue worth investigating ;).

Interestingly isn't it Tauro who brings Dantioch in to the Ultramarines?

Edited by Lords of Preyspire

Due to a geneseed flaw the Silver Skulls are particularly susceptible to runny noses and influenza....

+++UNHOLY PANTHEON CONFIRMED+++

:tongue.:

On a more serious note, I like the idea that the chapter are an ultramarine successor by geneseed (as confirmed by a couple of sources, I mean, how hard would it be to falsify something like that in-universe....right?) but may well be honouring the highly regarded loyalist Iron Warrior, Dantioch.

Here's another one to throw into the mix. What if they're Imperial fist successors?

Dantiochs best buddy was Polux, what if he convinces Dorn to make a chapter in honour of his buddy? Maybe they're penitent from the Iron Cage?

(Only If a retcon occurs to make them non ultra mind :p)

Due to a geneseed flaw the Silver Skulls are particularly susceptible to runny noses and influenza....

+++UNHOLY PANTHEON CONFIRMED+++

:P

On a more serious note, I like the idea that the chapter are an ultramarine successor by geneseed (as confirmed by a couple of sources, I mean, how hard would it be to falsify something like that in-universe....right?) but may well be honouring the highly regarded loyalist Iron Warrior, Dantioch.

Nah that's just man-nurgle, very different from proper nurgle!

Yeah that's the theory I'm most behind. As a piece of total fan nonsense I'm wanting to get Tauro Nicodemus involved as well. I wouldn't mind having the Ultra legions premium sword master at the head of the sucsessor chapter.

Heresy! I'll not have those yellow armour wearing castle builders anywhere near the skulls :p.

Could'nt their gene-seed be chimeric?

Made up of both ultramarines and the loyalist iron warriors under guillimans command, their heraldry and icon in honour of Dantioch?

Hell, i wouldn't be surprised if guilliman adopted loyalists of traitor legions into his legion, whose gene-seed later made it into the second founding.