Path of Heaven - Discussion

b1soul

Would it please be possible to have detailed spoilers of the events/content of the book?

That would require somebody to actually have read the novel already

And HeritorA has, hence my request was obviously to him. 

There is a lot of masochistic beautiful III Legion descriptions, including Eidolon and a host of new characters (which includes an apothecary - apothacaries have become the new high caste of the legion since they enhance everyone; a Palatine Blade and a leading member of the Kakophani). But yes, this novel might redeem Eidolon from his earlier comic-bad depictions into something much more sinister, professional and fitting to the FW depiction of him. Also Eidolon, and a third of the legion, has split from Fulgrim - already the sundering of the legion is well under way.

There are also splendid descriptions of their ships, and crystal spires tied between the command towers of their ships.

Lovely world building.

Also Eidolon and Shiban, both ruins of their old selves, serve as broken mirrors to one another, which is interesting.

Can someone help me?

First time I want to order something from BL.

Got a problem with my bill address. I typed in my home (Germany) address but that doesn't work.

/pm would be very nice. :D

Thanks!

Wraight's take on Eidolon and his transformation of Shiban are really good ideas. Writing the resurrected Eidolon as essentially a new and different character breathes a lot of life into him. The Palatine Blade leader is also quite interesting.

Would it please be possible to have detailed spoilers of the events/content of the book?

That would require somebody to actually have read the novel already

And HeritorA has, hence my request was obviously to him. 

And yet he was plain wrong about it not featuring Mortarion (which it does heavily).

Nope, also this:

Is Mortarion a Daemon Primarch at this point or does it happen much later?

It will not contain Mortarion - Path to Heaven is about WS vs Emperors Children

Sounds promising. biggrin.png

Possible Khan vs Mortarion Round 2

Good thing is that this book will give me the background for my own WS chapter who will fight against the DG. ^^

Nope - Mortarion is not a POV here. Only subcommander from EC and 2 pages of Daemonic Fulgrim biggrin.png

Mortarion has multiple PoV chapters, one of which features him swearing allegiance to Horus once more, going so far as to kneel in front of him. His plotline stretches throughout the whole book.

The Mortarion plotline seems pretty much on point, and draws on all we've seen so far.

This exchange between Mortarion and Horus was also nice to see:

‘Since Molech, brother, you have lost your good humours.’

‘Since Molech, there are no good humours. I am become vengeance, the destroyer of creation. So, no, I do not laugh as I once did.’

Just finished reading. Chris Wraight can write.

I didn't know how he could live up to Brotherhood of the Storm or Scars, but this one is better. This is the kind of story I wanted to read about the Horus Heresy, the effects it had on the Legions fighting over time and how they did (or did not) overcome their circumstances.

-edit

If the charge of the Sagyar Mazan doesn't make you feel something, I'm not sure why you are reading books about psycho warrior monks in metal armor.

Yeah, I agree. The first hundred pages or so were a little hard to get through but it's pretty good after that.

RIP Yesugei...went out in style though

Could you (or anyone else) please spoiler the fates of Shiban, Yesugai, Cario (he almost seems anti-Chaos) etc.?

I've only read the extract and I don't mind detailed spoilers as I wait for my copy :P

Great. Need to wait till I get a copy via amazon as I don't have a credit card. That's so long... :(

And it sounds so good.... :_(

Can't you get the ebook? I got the ebook now and I'll probably get the paperback when it comes out.

Fire golem, doesn't work either. BL wants a credit card. Got none. Therefore I can't get the e-book as well or did I oversaw something?

I just got it through iBooks but that won't work if you don't have an apple device.

Wow, great book.

SO many characters died, which is how I feel the Heresy should play out, it adds a lot of weight to the conflict and sacrifices.

BY my count we lost, Yesugei, Torghun, Xin Qa, Jochi and Cario (was new but awesome)

Basically the story takes place 4 years after the second battle of Prospero, the white scars are trapped by the advancing traitor legions as they all try to advance towards earth, the principle forces pursuing the Scars belong to Eidolon and 1/3rd of the whole emperors children Legion, and Mortarion. The scars, desperate to break past the traitors and reach Terra seek out a Navigator house leader who is believed to be on a world near by and who might have the means to guide them through the warp storms.

What they find is a path that leads them to a huge warp anomaly with an secret imperial space station in the Center called 'Dark Glass' which turns out to be constructed by the Emperor as a 'prototype' golden throne, less powerful but almost a copy of the one on terra.

There is a really cool subplot detailing how the Navigator houses and the Paternova are trying to sabotage the Emperors work on building the Throne and accessing the webway, as they realize that if Humanity doesn't need to travel through the warp, the navigators will lose their use and power within the imperium, they fear that the emperor will then kill all psykers/mutants. Needless to say, all the forces converge on the 'Dark Glass' The scars are badly outnumbered, and so Yesugei, sacrifices himself by sitting on the golden throne, to open a portal into the webway, that the white scars fleet can escape through.

Torghun and the Sagyar Mazan sacrifice themselves aboard the white scars flagship delaying mortarion and buying time for the Khan and the rest of the Fleet to escape.

Arvida also has a big plot thread through the book where he is dealing with the flesh change, helping the legion and ultimately guides the White scars through the webway to a point close to Terra. At that point he passes out and in begining to meld with his armor as the flesh change takes over.

The story ends with the fleet arriving safely a few weeks away from terra, and they are met by Russ who nearly kills the Khan as a traitor, for 'betraying' them at Alexxes. An Agent of Malcador comes to claim Arvida saying that if they hurry, there is a way to help him deal with the Flesh Change.

All told it was a great story, and worthy successor to Scars.

Archived