Path of Heaven - Discussion

b1soul

So this is coming out in April...anyone know the exact date?

I'll be posting my thoughts here once I get my hands on it!

They always release TBA novel on second saturday of the month and HH novel on the third or fourth.

So 'Throneworld' would probably arrive next week on April 9th (or 16); and Path of Heaven on 16th or 23rd.

Easy biggrin.png

I read Scars for the first time just the other day, and it blew my socks off! I knew it would be good, but I didn't expect it to be that good. It is easily in my top 5 of the heresy, maybe even top 3. Chris has a great handle on an otherwise very poorly written legion, and the Space Wolves and Death Guard stuff in the book was pitch perfect as well.

So with that said, I'm really excited for the sequal. Hopefully Chris hits this one out of the park as well.

scars is indeed in the top 5. Made me interested in a legion and primarch i had previously not cared about, a bit like what ADB did with Lorgar and the word bearers - found them a niche role to fill. So i'm looking forward to this next episode in their journey

And Brotherhood of the Storm is a beautiful tale too; I always love first person narratives and Wraight created three distinct voices in it. 

I thought Brotherhood of the Storm was actually superior to Scars ​for that exact reason. Being a novella, it wasn't beholden to the overall HH plot and could really delve into their personalities. Some of the scenes - Yesugei's dream vision, Shiban's thoughts of fighting orks and defending Terra - are some of the nicest bits of writing in the series.

Really looking forward to this.

And Brotherhood of the Storm is a beautiful tale too; I always love first person narratives and Wraight created three distinct voices in it.

I thought Brotherhood of the Storm was actually superior to Scars ​for that exact reason

I liked both a lot. I remember there were some complaints that BotS did not really advance the main HH plot

I never thought that was the point of a legion-specific LE novella. As a legion-building work, it's up there with Abnett's Legion and PB

I don't know why, but for me, Brotherhood of the Storm didn't really impress. I found it arduous to finish it, even considering it one of the worst LE novellas, right after Promethian Sun. Maybe I'll have to re-read it some day. That being said, Scars was absolutely fantastic.

Currently reading Scars for the second time, ordered Brotherhood of the Storm and can't wait until Path of Heavens comes out.

Wraight is the only author who really got me interested in legions I haven't cared before: Iron Hands and especially White Scars (besides A D Bs Word Bearers and Night Lords).

Mostly because of his work, I'm revising my own chapter. ^^

I don't know why, but for me, Brotherhood of the Storm didn't really impress. I found it arduous to finish it, even considering it one of the worst LE novellas, right after Promethian Sun.

I thought the prose in BotS was miles ahead of that in Promethean Sun. Perhaps the subject matter of BotS was boring to some...but the prose was much better than that in PS

Does anyone know what the blurb for the storyline is?

From Amazon.com:

"The full powers of Chaos are revealed as the Horus Heresy blazes towards Terra.

For too long had the Vth Legion ranged out beyond the sight of the wider Imperium, remaining ignorant of the Warmaster’s rebellion and the war that inevitably followed. Only once their primarch, Jaghatai Khan, had satisfied himself that the path before them was just and true did the White Scars choose a side, taking the fight to the traitors on every front. But, four years later, the Legion’s unfettered spirit has been broken by relentless attritional warfare against the Death Guard and the Emperor’s Children – the Khan’s Stormseers must find a clear route to Terra if they are to take part in the final, apocalyptic battle."

Sounds promising. :D

Possible Khan vs Mortarion Round 2

Good thing is that this book will give me the background for my own WS chapter who will fight against the DG. ^^

b1soul - yeah, I will read it in 4-5 hours with the follow-up review an hour after that. It would be amazing. But - does not expect 'huge' revelations. It's more like the genera; state of the Galaxy while Horus moves from Moloch to Terra.

Is Mortarion a Daemon Primarch at this point or does it happen much later?

It will not contain Mortarion - Path to Heaven is about WS vs Emperors Children

Sounds promising. biggrin.png

Possible Khan vs Mortarion Round 2

Good thing is that this book will give me the background for my own WS chapter who will fight against the DG. ^^

Nope - Mortarion is not a POV here. Only subcommander from EC and 2 pages of Daemonic Fulgrim biggrin.png

Does anyone know what the blurb for the storyline is?

From Amazon.com:

"The full powers of Chaos are revealed as the Horus Heresy blazes towards Terra.

For too long had the Vth Legion ranged out beyond the sight of the wider Imperium, remaining ignorant of the Warmaster’s rebellion and the war that inevitably followed. Only once their primarch, Jaghatai Khan, had satisfied himself that the path before them was just and true did the White Scars choose a side, taking the fight to the traitors on every front. But, four years later, the Legion’s unfettered spirit has been broken by relentless attritional warfare against the Death Guard and the Emperor’s Children – the Khan’s Stormseers must find a clear route to Terra if they are to take part in the final, apocalyptic battle."

Hm... then why is the DG mentioned as well?

Maybe just as an introduction for the EC? I'll wait until I got it in my hands. :)

Even a Khan vs Fulgrim fight would be cool. As long as the Khan beats the crap out of him/her/it/whatever.

/agreed

Don't know how and when but Wraight became my favorite author because of his diversity: Iron Hands, White Scars, Vlky Fenryka, Death Guard (<- I never ever thought that I would be interested in these legions! NEVER! [besides SW]), even a little bit of Thousand Sons. Hope that he will stick with these legions and avoids doing every legion. That would be too much.

Therefore I really hope to see DG as well. I would even give a DG novel a try. ^^

I hope Khan vs. Mortarion R2 does not happen

Too many unnecessary primarch fights. Khan vs. Mortarion R1 was sufficient (and done quite well)

If Khan and Mortarion must have a re-match, Siege of Terra would be more meaningful

Nope - Mortarion is not a POV here. Only subcommander from EC and 2 pages of Daemonic Fulgrim biggrin.png

You have an advance copy???

Nope - but I know someone who has msn-wink.gif And where wouldn't be a duel with Morty. But don't worry - Khan will have Round 2 vs Morty at the spaceport counterattack at the Siege of Terra!

Nope - but I know someone who has ;)  And where wouldn't be a duel with Morty. But don't worry - Khan will have Round 2 vs Morty at the spaceport counterattack at the Siege of Terra!

Hope the siege gets covered by Abnett, Wraight and ADB!

Archived