Path of Heaven - Discussion

b1soul

It's strange how it's gone from seeming rushed to being one of my favourite moments.

As far as the Wolves go, I hope they get to do some serious damage, even as Russ' drive to face Horus interferes with his judgement.

Horus is waiting for them, prepared and planned it all in advance. With TS/AL squads in attendance - it's a miracle Wolves get out at all (probably Alpha Legion just let them go again - it's not interesting to win over such incompetent opponent) whistling.gif

I fell in love with that moment as soon as precisely 132 power weapons ignited, and I realised the Sagyar Mazan, had all been granted a glorious last stand and reclaim their honour and place amongst the legion.

The united shout of 'Khagan!' Was fittingly epic as well.

By the way - the irony is that not one of them died during the 'Swordstorm' bombardment at all. whistling.gif

The Sagyar Mazan should've rigged the bridge with hidden bombs Curze-style

Indeed it is strange that they haven't prepared the contingency for the last stand end - like some virus bomb or nuclear device etc. etc.

'They were a bit busy getting as many people as they could to the Lance of Heaven at the time.' - true, but they already have a lot prepared for evacuation.

I fell in love with that moment as soon as precisely 132 power weapons ignited, and I realised the Sagyar Mazan, had all been granted a glorious last stand and reclaim their honour and place amongst the legion.

By the way - the irony is that not one of them died during the 'Swordstorm' bombardment at all. whistling.gif

Ironic how?

And I'd put down none of them being killed, to something along the lines of the Death Guard not targeting the bridge of the Swordstorm. Mortarion made it very clear he wanted the Khan alive for him to kill. Can't risk destroying the bridge with him on it now can they.

now, i know the emperor's children still use their traditional battle cry post corruption as a bit of a sarccy bomb to drop on loyalists for the lols...but when the palatine blade uses it in PoH, was that his take as well? what did other readers take away from that bit?

Twisted humour, and self-awareness that they're not really fighting for a cause anymore.

now, i know the emperor's children still use their traditional battle cry post corruption as a bit of a sarccy bomb to drop on loyalists for the lols...but when the palatine blade uses it in PoH, was that his take as well? what did other readers take away from that bit?

Twisted humour, and self-awareness that they're not really fighting for a cause anymore.

Indeed. Even Eidolon has gone darkly sarcastic.

Ironic how?

And I'd put down none of them being killed, to something along the lines of the Death Guard not targeting the bridge of the Swordstorm. Mortarion made it very clear he wanted the Khan alive for him to kill. Can't risk destroying the bridge with him on it now can they.

Wraight said he made that as an almost iconic scene... Then squad charge or def and does not lose anything.

Would've loved to have seen Yesugei make it to Terra and aid in its defense...but he died in a very meaningful way.

All the major deaths were well done.

Yesugei

Torghun (wow...what a redemptive end for such a tragic figure)

Qin Xa (not that well-developed of a character...but his psychic conversation with Arvida was beautifully written by Wraight)

Sorely tempting me to HH White Scars smile.png

Would've loved to have seen Yesugei make it to Terra and aid in its defense...but he died in a very meaningful way.

All the major deaths were well done.

Yesugei
Torghun (wow...what a redemptive end for such a tragic figure)
Qin Xa (not that well-developed of a character...but his psychic conversation with Arvida was beautifully written by Wraight)

Oh yeah none were cheap, Loved his writing.

I am hoping Wraight or ADB get the Battle at Terra... I hope Abnett does not sad.png

Wraight handled Cario very well too...his fate was symbolic of the legion's

Honestly, I would've preferred

that he and his less corrupted Palatine Blades didn't get wiped out at the end of PoH...I think there was more room to develop them further in future EC stories

Honestly, I think Terra is too vast for any one author. I'd give each Loyalist Legion on the Throneworld a book. Wraight gets Scars (vs SoH and Death Guard, AD-B the Blood Angels (against World Eaters, among others) and French the Fists. And the ghost of Iain M. Banks can handle the EC.

I actually want the Black Raging Blood Angels to steamroller Khârn rather than have him fight Sigismund. Because there isn't really drama there as one side will be "Oh wait, you're that guy I knocked on the arena floor that time" and the other will be "blooood..."

Sigi vs Sev, I'd be keener for. Can't think of obvious duels for Scars v DG, but it'd be sweet to see them battle the SoH at last. Then again, Abaddon is the only combat monster I know of in that Legion. Maybe Ekaddon? There was Sedirae, but then Horus decided that a captain who didn't look like him should be his decoy...

I think Falkus Kibre and Aximand are actually very formidable...though I'd personally classify them as "tier 2" champions, along the lines of, say, Cario or Malcharion, i.e. not quite up there with the likes of Sigismund, Abaddon, Sevatar, Jubal, Alajos, Raldoron, Khârn, Lucius, Sharrowkyn, etc.

I'd love to see Sigismund vs. Sevatar but after Sevetar's brain hemorrhage in Prince of Crows, I don't know whether Sevatar's psychic powers are still functional. If not, I think Sigismund would most likely steamroll him

Can't think of a good duel involving the WS and DG...

DG have Typhon but he's more of a librarian/sorcerer

Yesugei is no more

Qin Xa is gone as well...but Jubal is still around. Maybe Jubal vs. Eidolon?

I think Falkus Kibre and Aximand are actually very formidable...though I'd personally classify them as "tier 2" champions, along the lines of, say, Cario or Malcharion, i.e. not quite up there with the likes of Sigismund, Abaddon, Sevatar, Jubal, Alajos, Raldoron, Khârn, Lucius, Sharrowkyn, etc.

I'd love to see Sigismund vs. Sevatar but after Sevetar's brain hemorrhage in Prince of Crows, I don't know whether Sevatar's psychic powers are still functional. If not, I think Sigismund would most likely steamroll him

Can't think of a good duel involving the WS and DG...

DG have Typhon but he's more of a librarian/sorcerer

Yesugei is no more

Qin Xa is gone as well...but Jubal is still around. Maybe Jubal vs. Eidolon?

i'm guessing new champions are always on the rise, no?

and isn't malcharion the fellow who killed 3 champions per each defending legion on terra?

Yep, he is.

Badass, grumpy Malch. Simply love him and I'd be happy to see more of him during the Heresy as it was him, who defined the way the 8th fought.

Only browsed through Blood Reaver to read his quotes again. ^^

Malch beat 3 enemy champs of uncertain ability.

I'm guessing other lesser - but still formidable - champs like himself.

I'm pretty sure Malch is significantly weaker than Sev and the other legion top tiers.

EDIT: In my mind, it's kinda like the Iliad. There are major heroes like Achilles, Ajax the Greater, Diomedes, Hector, Aeneas, etc.

...and there are somewhat lesser heroes like, say, Agapenor or Euphorbus.

I'd be interested in reading about the exploits of these lesser heroes at the Siege of Terra. I don't think the scope should be limited to only the most famous individuals like Sigismund, Abaddon etc.

Would be glad if the novels covering the Siege take some inspiration from Homer and introduce plenty of new heroes and champs who rise to the occasion

Malch beat 3 enemy champs of uncertain ability.

I'm guessing other lesser - but still formidable - champs like himself.

I'm pretty sure Malch is significantly weaker than Sev and the other legion top tiers.

EDIT: In my mind, it's kinda like the Iliad. There are major heroes like Achilles, Ajax the Greater, Diomedes, Hector, Aeneas, etc.

I'd be interested in reading about the exploits of these lesser heroes at the Siege of Terra. I don't think the scope should be limited to only the most famous individuals like Sigismund, Abaddon etc.

Would be glad if the novels covering the Siege take some inspiration from Homer and introduce plenty of new heroes and champs who rise to the occasion

One of the things that made the first three HH books so good, from my point of view, was that the main characters where not the "A listers" but ordinary men (and women) who rose to the occaison. Saul Tarvitz is a prime example, a simple line captain with no prospects of promotion but happy in his role, yet he had greatness thrust upon him.

In my mind, it's kinda like the Iliad. There are major heroes like Achilles, Ajax the Greater, Diomedes, Hector, Aeneas, etc.

I think this is a good way of looking at it. It would be good if there were a character like Sarpedon (or even an 'A-lister' like Achilles) who we know is going to die, so the interest comes from seeing how they go. Khârn only sort of counts.

Well...no "A-listers" have confirmed true deaths at the Siege, as far as I know

Sevatar might die...but he might not

As for the "B-listers", I think Malcharion is maimed at the Siege (after pulling off his victories)...would be interesting to see how he's laid low to become a dread

Archived