Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Path of Heaven - Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
514 replies to this topic

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,569 posts
The loyal Mechanicum's best are currently on Terra...

Humble scrivener (alternate Episode IX attempt now in-progress), caretaker of the Lightning Bearers and member of the Broken Throne alt-Heresy project

Skalpynock

Skalpynock

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,492 posts

...and they can't fix Zephon's bionics.

IronDrake28

IronDrake28

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,533 posts

Zephon is the broken one.

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,990 posts

Zephon is a biological rarity in that he's incompatible with bionic implants

Though...perhaps Shiban might have the same problem

Point taken...

Hope they aren't too busy to fix Shiban (and hope Shiban isn't like Zeph)

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,471 posts

Zephon is a biological rarity in that he's incompatible with bionic implants

Though...perhaps Shiban might have the same problem

Point taken...

Hope they aren't too busy to fix Shiban (and hope Shiban isn't like Zeph)

from memory shiban is still shown to be quite the...uh, machine...in combat despite his bionics. he gives cario a decent run despite eventually coming close to losing

'WHEN WE CONFRONTED THE CORRUPTED, HOMICIDAL HORUS WHO ONCE USED TO SHINE LIKE THE BRIGHTEST STAR, WHO USED TO BE OUR BELOVED FAVOURITE – WHEN THE FATE OF THE GALAXY HUNG BY A THREAD – WERE WE NOT COMPELLED TO EXPEL ALL COMPASSION? ALL LOVE? ALL JOY? THOSE WENT AWAY. HOW ELSE COULD WE HAVE ARMOURED OURSELVES? EXISTENCE IS TORMENT, A TORMENT THAT MUST NOURISH US. EVIDENTLY WE MUST STRIVE TO BE THE FIERCE REDEEMER OF MAN, YET WHAT WILL REDEEM US?’

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,990 posts
Yeah...it seems that at times, Shiban still manages to recapture some of his old speed and flare. Though I don't think he'll ever be pulling off aerial twists in combat again.

He's still an above-average fighter. He's almost like Vader now, after becoming mostly machine.

I'm thinking the average WS legionary wouldn't last 5 seconds with Cario...he's a beast

Would be cool if FW includes him as an EC special character

Edited by b1soul, 03 March 2017 - 03:22 AM.

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,569 posts
I do love the idea of Shiban geared up with the best Mars' expats can offer.

If Shiban had Zephon's problems, he wouldn't have survived the first battle after Prospero.

Humble scrivener (alternate Episode IX attempt now in-progress), caretaker of the Lightning Bearers and member of the Broken Throne alt-Heresy project

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,990 posts
Yeah...Zephon could barely aim a bolter, so he has it much worse I think

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,569 posts
Plus no one seems to have ever heard of his cndition before, be they Custodes or Mechanicum personnel

Xisor

Xisor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,184 posts

Plus no one seems to have ever heard of his cndition before, be they Custodes or Mechanicum personnel

I was a bit sad about that. At least inasmuch as I thought it was a wasted opportunity (both in character and lore), to introduce genuinely, meaningfully disabled Marines as an actual, functioning part of the universe rather than an inspirational example.

Zephon & Shiba are still done well, to my insensitive senses, but it feels like there's a massive missed opportunity just under the surface there - not as an oddity, or Dreadnought, or as a minor inconvenience, but really playing up the whole unseen world of issues that bionic or otherwise affected Marines have to face.

There was an old character, Max I think, a Blood Drinker, that was a quadriplegic amputee in the 'Space Marine'; and the recruits' Chaplain was a ferocious wheelchair-bound git.

Otherwise, in recent memory we have Shiban & Zephon, and one of the most compelling offhand mentions I've seen in a while: Trantor, a Red Corsair in Mark Clapham's "Tyrant of the Hollow Worlds" - a Marine who has a serious cognitive disorder, where anything more than a few minutes ago feels indistinguishable from a distant memory of ancient times. It was a moving, compelling scene. Really stands out in a book of *many* standout scenes.

Anyway - I digress. Good stuff, but could do with more! :)

Tl;dr, it'd be nice for writers to go a bit deeper on disability in 30k & 40k.

Indefragable

Indefragable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,037 posts
How Sanguinius and Khan get to Terra while the Lion, Guilliman, and Russ (and even the remnants of the Istvaan legions) do not is one of the great questions of the HH. Looks like we now know how the Scars made it!

Side rant on Russ:
Hidden Content

My guess is that the "Passage of the Angel of Death" that FW's timeline has mentioned (in a preview slide...literally all we have is that phrase and a chunk of time that leads up to the Soege of Terra) is how Sanguinius & Co. make it to Terra...(hopefully?) in as epic a manner as Khan and friends.

My guess (hope?) is that it has to do with the Lion and and Guilliman creating a diversionary battle that allows the IX to slip into an unstable warp stream used only by traitors. The specimens at the cost of gellar fields being pushed to the limits and it's one final test setup by Horus to try to flip Sanguinius. But the Angel's purity of spirit and purpose sees him and his Legion through, etc etc etc bias alert go team Sanguinius.

Call me Indy. It's less syllables.

gallery_93095_13980_27776.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Primus_Interpares_Astartes

fire golem

fire golem

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,800 posts

Side rant on Russ:

Hidden Content

I always find it funny how some Wolf fans are always saying that the Space Wolves have the short end of the stick in the heresy, just losing all the time, and then people who aren't Wolf fans saying the Wolves steal the spotlight and overshadow everyone else. This isn't just directed at your post, just a funny little pattern, I think a bit of 'the grass is greener' is going on.

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,569 posts
Plus Sanguinius' psyker powers could come to the fore in a big way in the event of breaching the Ruinstorm.

Indefragable

Indefragable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,037 posts

Side rant on Russ:

Hidden Content

I always find it funny how some Wolf fans are always saying that the Space Wolves have the short end of the stick in the heresy, just losing all the time, and then people who aren't Wolf fans saying the Wolves steal the spotlight and overshadow everyone else. This isn't just directed at your post, just a funny little pattern, I think a bit of 'the grass is greener' is going on.

I'm probably guilty as charged. And playing right into A D-B's comment about fans who get pissed off halfway through the "book" before they see the end. It is funny in a lot of ways. 

The Russ on Terra thing just hit a nerve because of how little has been said about Sanguinius. The ONE established canon thingy is that Sang almost singlehandedly fights off the barbarian hordes at the gates of Terra. It'd be like if Russ shows on Prospero and Sangy is there about to kill Magnus and is like "actually, I'm kinda hungry. You can have this one, bro." 

I never want to take shiny toys from other kids or knock on Russ. I have no problem if other epic dudes do epically epic things in epic ways as well. But when someone else gets a present on your birthday, it raises an eyebrow.

Ok, I'm done with all that and won't mention it ever again. It's all in good fun. Huzzah

Call me Indy. It's less syllables.

gallery_93095_13980_27776.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Primus_Interpares_Astartes

HeritorA

HeritorA

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 3,552 posts

Plus Sanguinius' psyker powers could come to the fore in a big way in the event of breaching the Ruinstorm.

They will for sure. He has no psyker powers by the way. It's only premonition for him.