Path of Heaven - Discussion

b1soul

I'll be very happy if Shiban puts him in the dread

Haha...I wouldn't mind

...but Shiban/Tachseer seems to need some better bionics. He wasn't too impressive in PoH.

He seems to have improved mentally by the end, but his bionics are still described as periodically snagging when he fights.

Against guys like Cario (or Malcharion), he seems to fall short

The loyal Mechanicum's best are currently on Terra...

...and they can't fix Zephon's bionics.

Zephon is a biological rarity in that he's incompatible with bionic implants

Though...perhaps Shiban might have the same problem

Point taken...

Hope they aren't too busy to fix Shiban (and hope Shiban isn't like Zeph)

...and they can't fix Zephon's bionics.
Zephon is a biological rarity in that he's incompatible with bionic implants

Though...perhaps Shiban might have the same problem

Point taken...

Hope they aren't too busy to fix Shiban (and hope Shiban isn't like Zeph)

from memory shiban is still shown to be quite the...uh, machine...in combat despite his bionics. he gives cario a decent run despite eventually coming close to losing

Yeah...it seems that at times, Shiban still manages to recapture some of his old speed and flare. Though I don't think he'll ever be pulling off aerial twists in combat again.

He's still an above-average fighter. He's almost like Vader now, after becoming mostly machine.

I'm thinking the average WS legionary wouldn't last 5 seconds with Cario...he's a beast

Would be cool if FW includes him as an EC special character

Plus no one seems to have ever heard of his cndition before, be they Custodes or Mechanicum personnel

I was a bit sad about that. At least inasmuch as I thought it was a wasted opportunity (both in character and lore), to introduce genuinely, meaningfully disabled Marines as an actual, functioning part of the universe rather than an inspirational example.

Zephon & Shiba are still done well, to my insensitive senses, but it feels like there's a massive missed opportunity just under the surface there - not as an oddity, or Dreadnought, or as a minor inconvenience, but really playing up the whole unseen world of issues that bionic or otherwise affected Marines have to face.

There was an old character, Max I think, a Blood Drinker, that was a quadriplegic amputee in the 'Space Marine'; and the recruits' Chaplain was a ferocious wheelchair-bound git.

Otherwise, in recent memory we have Shiban & Zephon, and one of the most compelling offhand mentions I've seen in a while: Trantor, a Red Corsair in Mark Clapham's "Tyrant of the Hollow Worlds" - a Marine who has a serious cognitive disorder, where anything more than a few minutes ago feels indistinguishable from a distant memory of ancient times. It was a moving, compelling scene. Really stands out in a book of *many* standout scenes.

Anyway - I digress. Good stuff, but could do with more! :)

Tl;dr, it'd be nice for writers to go a bit deeper on disability in 30k & 40k.

How Sanguinius and Khan get to Terra while the Lion, Guilliman, and Russ (and even the remnants of the Istvaan legions) do not is one of the great questions of the HH. Looks like we now know how the Scars made it!

Side rant on Russ:

Hidden Content

I have to roll my eyes at the mention that Russ was on Terra. That's not to knock on Russ, the SW, or their fans...but I can't deny there is starting to be a Mary Sue streak to the SW. My first reaction reading that comment was an eye roll and "well of course Russ was there but CHOSE to leave because he's just SOOOO cool..." I am playing right into A D-B's comment about people reacting midway without having all the details.

It just seems the Wolves can do no wrong these days and are always "just as planned" in their own way.

It's a shame because I actually like the SW, but their seeming overshadowing and spotlight stealing is starting to grate on me a bit.

Again, no offense to SW fans and don't mean to rile anyone up.

My guess is that the "Passage of the Angel of Death" that FW's timeline has mentioned (in a preview slide...literally all we have is that phrase and a chunk of time that leads up to the Soege of Terra) is how Sanguinius & Co. make it to Terra...(hopefully?) in as epic a manner as Khan and friends.

My guess (hope?) is that it has to do with the Lion and and Guilliman creating a diversionary battle that allows the IX to slip into an unstable warp stream used only by traitors. The specimens at the cost of gellar fields being pushed to the limits and it's one final test setup by Horus to try to flip Sanguinius. But the Angel's purity of spirit and purpose sees him and his Legion through, etc etc etc bias alert go team Sanguinius.

Side rant on Russ:

Hidden Content

I have to roll my eyes at the mention that Russ was on Terra. That's not to knock on Russ, the SW, or their fans...but I can't deny there is starting to be a Mary Sue streak to the SW. My first reaction reading that comment was an eye roll and "well of course Russ was there but CHOSE to leave because he's just SOOOO cool..." I am playing right into A D-B's comment about people reacting midway without having all the details.

It just seems the Wolves can do no wrong these days and are always "just as planned" in their own way.

It's a shame because I actually like the SW, but their seeming overshadowing and spotlight stealing is starting to grate on me a bit.

I always find it funny how some Wolf fans are always saying that the Space Wolves have the short end of the stick in the heresy, just losing all the time, and then people who aren't Wolf fans saying the Wolves steal the spotlight and overshadow everyone else. This isn't just directed at your post, just a funny little pattern, I think a bit of 'the grass is greener' is going on.

Side rant on Russ:

Hidden Content

I always find it funny how some Wolf fans are always saying that the Space Wolves have the short end of the stick in the heresy, just losing all the time, and then people who aren't Wolf fans saying the Wolves steal the spotlight and overshadow everyone else. This isn't just directed at your post, just a funny little pattern, I think a bit of 'the grass is greener' is going on.

I'm probably guilty as charged. And playing right into A D-B's comment about fans who get pissed off halfway through the "book" before they see the end. It is funny in a lot of ways. 

The Russ on Terra thing just hit a nerve because of how little has been said about Sanguinius. The ONE established canon thingy is that Sang almost singlehandedly fights off the barbarian hordes at the gates of Terra. It'd be like if Russ shows on Prospero and Sangy is there about to kill Magnus and is like "actually, I'm kinda hungry. You can have this one, bro." 

I never want to take shiny toys from other kids or knock on Russ. I have no problem if other epic dudes do epically epic things in epic ways as well. But when someone else gets a present on your birthday, it raises an eyebrow.

Ok, I'm done with all that and won't mention it ever again. It's all in good fun. Huzzah

Archived