Heat stains

Does anyone know of a good tutorial or have a good technique for modeling heat stains on to gun barrels and such? Having a hell of a time searching for something since most results are related to real heat stains on motorcycles ;). Thanks in advance!

Thanks those were super helpful! Also I think you have convinced me on doing it "backwards" msn-wink.gif

Really?! That might make you the first convert... Put some thought into it, though. You'll have to explain yourself a lot. And I think plasma and melta are still very much undecided as to which way they should go.

This is the best tutorial I have found on the subject:

Now this was perfect, having this as a reference will really help. I think I might try it out with some clear paints so they won't cover up the metallic effect as much.

Thanks those were super helpful! Also I think you have convinced me on doing it "backwards" msn-wink.gif

Really?! That might make you the first convert... Put some thought into it, though. You'll have to explain yourself a lot. And I think plasma and melta are still very much undecided as to which way they should go.

Well you make a really well reasoned argument with real world examples to back them up. I hadn't thought about heat staining really being damage to the metal and your reasoning for not painting the barrels on your knight, that is a great little insight there. Taking this further you would expect very little heat staining on Marine and Ad. Mech. armies but you should see it on anything that gets very hot with Imperial Guard equipment since it would be much less quality (especially on anything carried by the infantry). Personally I don't think it really fits on most Xenos weapons (except MAYBE the Tau) as they are either made out of exotic alloys (Necrons) that wouldn't get stained like this, or aren't made out of metal (Eldar) that wouldn't display the colors at all.

As you say in the article this is all fantasy so there is no real right way to paint this stuff since who knows how any of it would really act. However I'm with you in enjoying thinking how this stuff would act in a "realistic" way. Just another great facet of the hobby ;)

• 1 month later...

Thanks those were super helpful! Also I think you have convinced me on doing it "backwards" ;)

You've converted me!

Also Melta and plasma shots originate from the middle of the weapon I believe. They both have a round canister type of magazine in front of the trigger guard. The coils on plasma weaponry accelerates the shot hence they are painted with a glow effect. Not 100% on melta exactly as it seems like the intense heat of the shot would heat a larger part of the gun up.

Flamers are easy too understand. You know that little metal piece poking out in front of the barrel? Well that powers a pilot light which ignites the stream of fuel after it exits the barrel so heat staining would be done in the current style.

I'm also sticking with that idea for melta weapons but turning the colours around.

Thanks

Glad I could get some folks thinking about it. Your reasoning makes sense to me. I think a case could be made for plasma to have flamer-like scorching instead of heat staining, so that woud be at the tip. But, as long as you're thinking about it either way I think that's all I was hoping for.

Glad I could get some folks thinking about it. Your reasoning makes sense to me. I think a case could be made for plasma to have flamer-like scorching instead of heat staining, so that woud be at the tip.

Plasma gun: All over those exhaust ports on the side of the muzzle, and all down those small release holes on the side of the gun. It "gets hot" don't cha' know biggrin.png

I always assumed the 'gets hot' was the coil bits, myself. Interesting. 

Those coils are the bits that go boom ('gets hot,' but I prefer 'goes boom') if all those vents don't work, so far as I understand it.

Either way, it's still none too clear about where the hottest bits would be. Imagine a furnace or even a fire pit... Even though the heat or flame comes out at a certain point, the deepest part is clearly the hottest and most likely to discolor the metal. In the case of a plasma gun, if those vents do what they're supposed to I can see the vents and barrel being some of the cooler spots, while the "belly" or even the base of the barrel might actually be hotter. However, if the discoloration is sootlike and represents splash back or hot matter splattering, then discoloration would appear but more like black or brown residue, as opposed to the internal color of the metal. Right? Like on a melta, I would think the barrel and everything would be built to withstand incredible heat, maybe even made of some kind of ceramic. And then the outer portion is actually heat-conducive metal intended to move and disperse the heat even better. 

I used a much simpler method for my heat staining. After basecoating black and drybrushing the bronze/silver layer on, I drybrush from safe to "dangerous" end: ironbreaker (for silver) or sycoran bronze (for bronze), warplock bronze, xereous purple, Abaddon black.

It looks pretty awesome and it's very quick n easy to achieve. Here's a pic of it on my WIP knight (on the exhaust vents):

26797352190_73c5e44446_z.jpg

Archived