ETL V Brief - Blood Angels

Jolemai

Right folks, it's that time of year again. The ETL is upon us.

What is the ETL?

The acronym for E Tenebrae Lux, the ETL originated as a painting challenge put forth by the Dark Angels sub-forum. This has since blossomed into a full on, inter-forum painting competition whereby an individual vows a legal unit (or units) for a particular faction and has to paint them to completion (in the owners eyes) within a three month time frame. The faction with the most points painted is crowned the winner earning eternal glory (special signatures, etc) and a year's worth of bragging rights.

• ETL I can be found here
  • ETL II can be found here
  • ETL III can be found here
  • ETL IV can be found here

Our Heritage

As you all know, Blood Angels and their Successors study the arts. Our extended lifespan allows us to pursue and master the finer things in life and it is often remarked how exquisite the works of our artisans are. Certainly our preponderance for Artificer Armour, master-crafted weaponry, tapestries and so on show this off and back in the real world, some of the best painted models on the B&C are Blood Angels.

In the previous painting challenge, the Librarium challenge (which is currently on permanent hiatus) our faction had a long and distinguished roll of honour whereby we won the event year ofter year. However, for the first three events this hasn't transferred into the ETL:

• In ETL I we finished fifth (out of seven participants).
  • In ETL II we finished fifth (out of eight participants).
  • In ETL III we finished seventh (out of eight participants).

That said, we threw the form book out of the window for last year's ETL IV:

• We finished fourth (out of seven participants) and within sight of second place
  • Our participant level (83) was at a record high
  • Our number of vows (130) was at a record high
  • Completed points (41,285) was at a record high
  • Final score (26,197) was at a record high

... and this sets us up nicely for the forthcoming event. With our resources, history and buoyed by last year's success, we remain a dark horse for ETL V - but only with your unwavering and appreciated support.

The ETL V

Captain Semper has already hinted that basic rules will be the same as last year, however, we wont be drawn on which of the two historic start dates he is set to use. This means that we can assume the following:

• Challenge window 01/05/16 - 01/08/16 or 15/05/16 - 15/08/16. Regardless of what's selected, the first vow must be made within one calendar month of the start date
  • Maximum vows to be five, maximum of 3000 points per vow, A new one can be made once you have completed the previous one. Any uncompleted vows nullify your entire points haul
  • All models to be a legal Codex entry and WYSIWYG
  • Two images - an unpainted/primed one and a completed one - are all the evidence you need. These will need to be posted in the Strategium thread when it goes live

As this is the fifth incarnation of the event, Captain Semper has also hinted he is going to throw a curveball into the event - I believe there will be some sort of bonus points but again, he wont be drawn on it yet.

What Can I Do?

• Basically, we have a month to get ready. Use this time to plan your vow(s) into manageable chunks and then get them finished model-wise and primed. For example, paint all your gold models as one vow, your black models as another, vehicles as one, etc
  • If you are magnetising, vow the expensive choice! Also, things like hunter-killer missiles count as they are WYSIWYG so add them to your vehicles even if it's via blu-tac!
  • Raid your bits box for a bolt pistol, plasma pistol and enough parts to make a marine. Congrats, you now have a counts-as Cypher and that's 190 points for our forum. (A guide for using him with C:BA can be found here
  • Things like Mastery Level 2, Extra Armour, etc, won't count towards a vow as generally, they can't be WYSIWYG.
  • Remember that the level of completion is what you are comfortable with. For example, my gaming group requires a minimum of three base colours and for the model to be based in order for it to be considered battle ready. That's as far as I'll be going, though I may throw in some detail if needed (seriously - I can shade, and highlight when I have more time)
  • Imperial Knights, Forge World Knights and Titans will again be likely candidates for our vows
  • Assassins, Deathwatch, Legion of the Damned and units available through stand alone Formations (i.e. Stormtalons from the Adeptus Astartes Stormwing) are not permitted due to either having their own sub-forum on here or being part of another ETL-Faction's Codex
  • Shield of Baal: Deathstorm units (especially the TDA unit and Cassor), relevant BA units from the Imperial Armour series and BA-legal experiment FW units are permitted. With regards to the Deimos Predator Executioner, use the rules from IA XII (still legal for BA to use), but for everything else use the most up to date datasheet.

In short, take up your paint brush and take up the challenge laid down by the PCA forum to bring honour to our Faction. We are the sons of Sanguinius; it's time to once again make our father proud.

Tags

/equip modhat

The correct use of tags can be found here. Basically, this is a method of making things easier to search to people can gain fast, easy access to your work and that of others. The official ETL tags are:

• E Tenebrae Lux
  • ETL
  • ETL V

... in addition to all the usual things like Blood Angels, WIP, and so on. If we can remember to add these to our work then that would be great.

So far, I have:

• 1 squad of eight Terminators
  • Cypher
  • 2 three man squads of Bikes
  • 1 Attack Bike

Ready for the ETL. We'll see what else I can get ready, but I have >2k of unpainted stuff to choose from!

I have a forge world chaplain dreadnought with flame storm cannon, but I want to use it as a counts as furioso with frag cannon. But which is more points? I don't have the right imperial armor book.

Also have a Cassor,

Lemartes,

And Raphen's Squad I'm finishing the magnets on this week.

Ok, let me keep a list of what I have prepared for the ETL here, I will update as it becomes relevant:

Primed:

• (10) Tactical Squad, Power Fist, Meltagun, Heavy Flamer (2nd Ed. pewter models)
  • (10) Scout Squad, 5CCW, 5 Shotguns (3rd Ed. pewter models)
  • (5) Terminator Squad Alphaeus, Heavy Flamer, Chainfist (Magnetized 5E Black Reach terminators
  • (1) Terminator Captain (3rd Edition pewter model)

Assembled:

• (5) Devastators, 1 Lascannon, 3 Missile Launchers
  • (5) Sternguard Veterans, 2 Plasmaguns, 2 Combi-Plasmas, 1 Power Fist
  • (1) Sanguinary High Priest, Power Sword, Jump Pack (Magnetized kitbash)
  • (1) Chaplain, Power Fist (Magnetized kitbash)
  • (1) Techmarine, Boltgun (Kitbash)

Unassembled:

• (10) Tactical Squad, Plasma pistol, Plasmagun, Plasma Cnanon (6E Dark Vengeance)
  • (5) Terminator Squad, Assault Cannon, Chainfist (6E Dark Vengeance)
  • (5) Death Company, Boltguns, 1 Power Fist (3rd Edition pewter model)
  • (5) Terminator Squad, Heavy Flamer, Chainfist (Space Hulk)
  • (1) Blood Angels Baal Predator
  • (1) Space Marine Drop Pod
  • (1) Cassor The Damned (5E Black Reach with Furioso leftovers)

How much of this backlog I will be able to get through, I don't know..  How long will the ETL last?

I have a forge world chaplain dreadnought with flame storm cannon, but I want to use it as a counts as furioso with frag cannon. But which is more points? I don't have the right imperial armor book.

Also have a Cassor,

Lemartes,

And Raphen's Squad I'm finishing the magnets on this week.

We can't take Chaplain Dreadnoughts, so use it as a Fragioso. All Shield of Baal: Deathstorm units are legal entries :) In fact, I'd even recommend taking the TDA unit for an extra five points :p

Ok, let me keep a list of what I have prepared for the ETL here, I will update as it becomes relevant:

Primed:

• (10) Tactical Squad, Power Fist, Meltagun, Heavy Flamer (2nd Ed. pewter models)
  • (10) Scout Squad, 5CCW, 5 Shotguns (3rd Ed. pewter models)
  • (5) Terminator Squad Alphaeus, Heavy Flamer, Chainfist (Magnetized 5E Black Reach terminators
  • (1) Terminator Captain (3rd Edition pewter model)

Assembled:

• (5) Devastators, 1 Lascannon, 3 Missile Launchers
  • (5) Sternguard Veterans, 2 Plasmaguns, 2 Combi-Plasmas, 1 Power Fist
  • (1) Sanguinary High Priest, Power Sword, Jump Pack (Magnetized kitbash)
  • (1) Chaplain, Power Fist (Magnetized kitbash)
  • (1) Techmarine, Boltgun (Kitbash)

Unassembled:

• (10) Tactical Squad, Plasma pistol, Plasmagun, Plasma Cnanon (6E Dark Vengeance)
  • (5) Terminator Squad, Assault Cannon, Chainfist (6E Dark Vengeance)
  • (5) Death Company, Boltguns, 1 Power Fist (3rd Edition pewter model)
  • (5) Terminator Squad, Heavy Flamer, Chainfist (Space Hulk)
  • (1) Blood Angels Baal Predator
  • (1) Space Marine Drop Pod
  • (1) Cassor The Damned (5E Black Reach with Furioso leftovers)

How much of this backlog I will be able to get through, I don't know..  How long will the ETL last?

It lasts for three months. If you fail any of your five vows, everything you do completed or otherwise will count for nothing - so don't over extend yourself. If in doubt, see what generates the most points AND holds your interest to paint.

I'm going big this year.

First and perhaps only vow will be for 3k. I think I have about half the stuff prepped. A few bits models are basecoated, but hopefully Captain Semper will let that slide.

I will either delivery glory for Sanguinius and the Blood Angels or fail spectacularly and join the Death Conpany!

EDC

I'm going big this year.

First and perhaps only vow will be for 3k. I think I have about half the stuff prepped. A few bits models are basecoated, but hopefully Captain Semper will let that slide.

I will either delivery glory for Sanguinius and the Blood Angels or fail spectacularly and join the Death Conpany!

EDC

I'm going to do something this year. Also in the go big or go home category.

Guys, only do it if you can manage it! We will get penalised should you fail and it it could mean the difference between success and failure; last year we were 5k ahead of fifth and 10k behind third - more/less failure would have changed this dramatically.

Where do we stand with things primed red with army painter dragon red primer?

Captain Semper's discretion. He said this earlier today:

I need a little rules clarification for the ETL before I start planning too much. We are allowed to build the models fully before the start, as long as they are unpainted when we make our first vow, right?

If we go by what was allowed last year, they can be primed and in the very early stages of painting. So, to be safe, a maximum of one colour on the model is probably legal. However, Semper has last say on the matter, so his word is final should I be proven wrong for this year.

Olis is correct.

Although I need to clarify that the "very early stages of painting" is there to cover the cases of people that they did not realise the event was coming and had some work done on their minis (to the tune of a base coat for example). Otherwise, the max you can work on the minis is up to undercoating... 

If you undercoat in red it *should* be fine but...

Done a minor edit to the first post.

To add,

• The Space Wolves are seriously going for it this year following two years in a row of receiving the wooden spoon. Coupled with a new expansion and units they will be a threat
  • The Dark Angels and Codex (led by the Black Templars and Iron Hands again) had their noses put out of joint by us last year and are after revenge. They wont take us for granted this year
  • Chaos and AoD are ignoring us right now. Despite being ahead of them last year, the former had a huge late flurry and will no doubt do the same. We need to keep up the pressure on them. AoD are again running the risk of burnout by hyping themselves up early, but make no mistake they are a superpower. Again, we need to pressure them in the early stages so they overextend again.
  • IFOR will be carried by the Guard and Ad Mech fora. Their SHVs rack up points so quick but in the end we kept the pace well enough. Whilst their campaign is yet to start, again they will overlook us. If we can maintain the pressure here, we can take them as evident by how "close" we were.

Basically, it's going to be difficult this year. We will have expectation (which Semper will no doubt highlight), we have to fight a mid-Codex lull and we will need to fend off those Factions who are after our blood. As it stands, we're looking healthy and have some new blood, so provided we keep together we can do wonders.

I truly believe we'll have the dark horse tag again!

I am going to make up for my failures of last year! I stripped my fire raptor and death company because I was unhappy with the paint schemes.  So I will have the following primed and ready to go for this year's ETL:

10 x DC

1 x Chaplain

1 x Fire Raptor

1 x Commander Dante

The Carmine Blades aren't going to fail again!

I am going to make up for my failures of last year! I stripped my fire raptor and death company because I was unhappy with the paint schemes. So I will have the following primed and ready to go for this year's ETL:

10 x DC

1 x Chaplain

1 x Fire Raptor

1 x Commander Dante

The Carmine Blades aren't going to fail again!

Looking forward to seeing some Carmine Blades representation! happy.png

I think I can do my 3k goal. It'll be tough, especially May as I have 2 assignments and an exam to do as well as working full time but I figure if I commit everything at once I'll be able to do all the airbrushing in one hit.

For Sanguinius! For the Emperor!

EDC

I have to say Jolemai, of all the ETL 'hype' threads I've seen so far, yours is the most level headed and informative. Kudos. Now, as you rightly point out, the AoD subforum does genuinely have a problem with over promising and having it bite us in our collective asses - in fact it was the direct reason why we lost to the Chaos rabble. That and their final surge on the home stretch. This year our more prominent members (including myself) are advocating a less... burdensome rhetoric. That said, we still aim to be amongst the leaders if not the leaders for this year, so you may very well be correct in describing the AoD as a 'superpower'. ;)

Good luck to you and and have fun. 

On this would it be ok to run proposed squad builds and point values by you before we submit on ETL page itself to make sure they are all legit - It would be mighty embarrassing (and a waste of time) for someone to propose a Dev squad armed with grav cannons only to realise it isn't codex, for example?

From my end I can vow:

A 10 man sanguinary guard squad

A 10 man vanguard veteran squad

Whatever I buy this weekend at GW.

I have to say Jolemai, of all the ETL 'hype' threads I've seen so far, yours is the most level headed and informative. Kudos. Now, as you rightly point out, the AoD subforum does genuinely have a problem with over promising and having it bite us in our collective asses - in fact it was the direct reason why we lost to the Chaos rabble. That and their final surge on the home stretch. This year our more prominent members (including myself) are advocating a less... burdensome rhetoric. That said, we still aim to be amongst the leaders if not the leaders for this year, so you may very well be correct in describing the AoD as a 'superpower'. msn-wink.gif

Good luck to you and and have fun.

Cheers, it's what I do happy.png

I fully expect AoD to be amongst the top places and I do believe we can live with you folk, but in our own way of course. Certainly if we can't take the crown, I'd be happy if AoD/or IFOR beat Chaos to it! devil.gif

All the best to you and your lot too, I'm sure you'll have great fun aswell smile.png

On this would it be ok to run proposed squad builds and point values by you before we submit on ETL page itself to make sure they are all legit - It would be mighty embarrassing (and a waste of time) for someone to propose a Dev squad armed with grav cannons only to realise it isn't codex, for example?

From my end I can vow:

A 10 man sanguinary guard squad

A 10 man vanguard veteran squad

Whatever I buy this weekend at GW.

Of course; we're all here to help each other and it's not against the rules to post a combined points total. As for what you get, anything is welcome - just don't overstretch yourself. The ETL is not to be a chore but a fun event - getting stressed because you can't complete your vow in the deadline isn't in the spirit of the ETL really.

We're not ignoring you. Got a healthy respect for our cousins in red, especially after last year.

Dragonlover

I know you do msn-wink.gif

Likewise, we know what we're up against from the arch-traitor fora. All the best and happy desecratings to you!

I'll do what I can, but, like last year, it won't be much. Quite aside from the ever increasing amount of time it takes me to paint to a standard I'm happy with, my fixed term contract is up in August, so job hunting will be a priority over the next few months.

Archived