Consecrators - the hows

Chmur

Hello brothers of the First.

I am halfway finished with my Lion's Blade as far as painting etc goes, but given that I am already 3rd DA player in our FLGS and that I am getting a bit tired of the green tide (that is even after including RW knights, DW Knights, DW Command squad and attack bike wiht landspeeder on my list), I am thinking about doing my first Kill Team (want to have dedicated models for this) as Consecrators.

I have already started buying some older patter power armour heads, torsoes etc and will most likely go mix-match to create the feel of the older pattern armour... However I have the following ideas/questions:

1) I went deaf with awe from Dark Rage's consecrator topic, however I do think consecrators should have more contemporary looking termies and/or dreads for the most part. I mean, even if I went full HH model termies and dreadnoughts, that would be, fluff wise, kinda over the top, wouldn't it? Given that HH era equipment was supposed to be more advanced than current marks.

2) Playing consecrators - not sure how exactly to go about this? Do I just use C:DA and tell my opponent that this terminator lord named XYZ counts as Belial, this one counts as Sammael etc? How confusing is that for opposing players and would this be acceptable at casual / semi-casual tournaments?

3) in regards to point nr. 1, I am thinking going all beakie (love dem beakies!), MKIV and some MKII armour for the consecrators, few MK VII parts around to do the mix match... I am more inclined to use indomitus terminator armour as the tartaros models don't really appeal to me that much, but will most likely try to use the tartaros as DW knights. As far as RW goes there is of course the HH jetbike for Sammael and the HH bikes for sergeants, RW knights etc, again very spare. 

Has anyone tried thinking about going this way?

Well Chmur, you're absolutely right in that Dark Rage's Consecrators are a huge source of inspiration. As regards the mix of newer and older equipment this is really up to you. The Consecrators give you the opportunity to go heavy on the HH stuff and that's their appeal. But on the other hand if you feel that less is more go for that. I don't think there is anything concrete on the matter. Also relics can be a lot of post Heresy stuff too - things that look 40k-ish but were used by the great heroes of the Chapter or are particularly mater-crafted.

I went heavy on MkV armour as I thought this would be more in abundance than say the MkIV - also I like it better than all other marks... :D On the Termies' issue, again, you can go for less is more and give the Cataphractii to characters and keep Indomitus for the standard Termies. Again I went for the Tartaros...

Regarding gameplay, of course you can use your custom-made model to represent Special Characters. For one thing there are quite a few out there that there is no special mini for them. However it'll be proper to drive for WYSIWYG as much as possible. In tournaments (and I'm not an expert here) I'd assume you need to check with the organisers... I can't see why they should restrict the use of custom-made Special Character figures if they are WYSIWYG but, their tournament, their rules.

Regarding your third point, I went all MkVI for my Ravenwing - really enjoyed painting them and I cannot recommend them enough! :D The Termies are Tartaros and the rank an' file are Mk V as I mentioned before while the Veterans get the more advanced MkIV (link in my sig).

I hope you enjoy those guys. My only problem is that they are black and now the I want to go for a Heresy-era DA force I have to go black again... confused.gif

Question 2, as long as your space marines are WYSIWYG (or as close to as your group requires) there should be no issues over what colour you chose to paint them. Using Codex: Dark Angels is how GW intend successor chapters to be represented anyway, it's why they're in the book. You'll be making your own Sammael from a Forge World scimitar jetbike will you? msn-wink.gif

Questions 1 and 3, always choose the models you like the most. Nobody can tell you that your Consecrators have too much or too little ancient wargear, and the mark of power armour you use is purely cosmetic.

Regarding gameplay, of course you can use your custom-made model to represent Special Characters. For one thing there are quite a few out there that there is no special mini for them. However it'll be proper to drive for WYSIWYG as much as possible. In tournaments (and I'm not an expert here) I'd assume you need to check with the organisers... I can't see why they should restrict the use of custom-made Special Character figures if they are WYSIWYG but, their tournament, their rules.

I hope you enjoy those guys. My only problem is that they are black and now the I want to go for a Heresy-era DA force I have to go black again... confused.gif

Thanks Captain for the reply. I do intend to make them WYSIWYG, as I do with all my models, I just feel that it's the "correct" way. As well, it saves a lot of hassle with having to remember many things etc.

Regarding the painting black, I will never ever have enough funding okayed by the wife to start with HH project, so thought this will be nice crossover to have some FW models and still valid excuse why I need them :D

Question 2, as long as your space marines are WYSIWYG (or as close to as your group requires) there should be no issues over what colour you chose to paint them. Using Codex: Dark Angels is how GW intend successor chapters to be represented anyway, it's why they're in the book. You'll be making your own Sammael from a Forge World scimitar jetbike will you? msn-wink.gif

Questions 1 and 3, always choose the models you like the most. Nobody can tell you that your Consecrators have too much or too little ancient wargear, and the mark of power armour you use is purely cosmetic.

Of course I would go WYSIWYG on all of them, it was more theoretical question whether it's normal/usual/okay when people actually use successor chapters and then the follow-up question as to how you go about it. Thought it's basically like "this is X, counts as Belial, here is his datasheet" but wanted to make sure.

And sure as hell I am going to use the Scimitar Jetbike, as well as the outriders for knights.

Question 3 was far more fluff related than whether there is any hardcap and to start little discussion. As I tried to express above, I don't think there should be too much of ancient (read HH) tech going around, since it is already said that it's far more powerful than current (40k) stuff. So basically, while I can defend in my own mind that my consecrators go on the hunt for old tech and relics and can have older pattern bikes and armour and whatnot, I simply cannot go with having more than 1 jetbike, or having all full heresy power armour etc as I am sure if they were in joint operation with another chapter for some reason, word would get to Mars that certain one chapter has abundance of the tech and can for sure "spare" some for R&D.

if i may make a recommendation i really like chaotic red from from army painter if your doing consecrators. its very rich and earthy as a red

Thanks for the hint, I am using Valejjo blood red and that seems so far to work very well, even over my very dark green.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, a very well executed result! The dirt is there and yet it's measured, as it should be.

My only comment would be that the red stripe in the helmet seems kind of underplayed. Now this is obviously intended but it's such a distinctive feature for the Consecrators... Still, your mini your choice. They do look fantastic! :tu:

They look great.

Are the bases the cracked earth GW paint? The name escapes me currently.

Yeah it's Martian Ironearth

Really easy to do :

Apply

Let dry

Apply pigments

Done

@ Semper : actually it's a feature of the consecrators because the only picture we have from them is a mkVI marine with a red stripe... But the mkVI is the model where the red stripe is the easiest to do. On the other model, eather the helmet is small (mkIII) or there is the aeration stripe (MkIV) so it's difficult to make red stripe that can actually catch the eye on models other than mkVI

Archived