Jag's Crusade: Relapse

JAG Templar

• 6 months later...

It's been a very long time since I've added anything on here but there has been some progress including some much needed air support. The Raven was an E-Bay rescue job so pretty happy with the way it turned out.

I didn't realise until after I'd done the tail markings that Deathwatch have similar red stripes on their vehicles but I'm just happy that I managed to use masking tape without any seepage! :biggrin.:

gallery_72111_11908_995790.jpg

gallery_72111_11908_926348.jpg

Edited by JAG Templar

Looking great. I like how the reds and whites turned out (especially the whites on the Talons' rocket pods). One question, though: how did you paint the Talons' canopies? They look great - simple and effective, and I feel that they're one of the best looking painted canopies I've seen. I'd really like to "borrow" your idea for my scratch build (if you're okay with that).

Well done and you get extra thumbs up from me because I am a firm believer in controlling the skies.

I would say that you should consider doing all your canopies the same way. It's less distracting.

And to echo Brother Cristopher's comments, the canopies on your Talons looks most excellent!

Looking great. I like how the reds and whites turned out (especially the whites on the Talons' rocket pods). One question, though: how did you paint the Talons' canopies? They look great - simple and effective, and I feel that they're one of the best looking painted canopies I've seen. I'd really like to "borrow" your idea for my scratch build (if you're okay with that).

Hey, thanks. I'm always searching for the most effective white paint, and have settled on PriviteerPress P3 for now. At 5-6 layers per missile pod this was definitely the most time consuming part of the project.

The canopies were pretty easy. I primed the whole thing with Vallejo Model Air Base Grey (two thin coats each). I then used Model Air Light Grey with my thinnest airbrush nozzle to get some (but not all) of the corners and edges of the 'glass' panels. Most canopies that I've seen online have the lighter colour in the middle of the glass panel so this is really the only difference between mine and the others.

From there paint the black canopy frame. Steady hand is required, and the only advice I can give is: resist the temptation to mix your paint a little thicker in order to gain better coverage. I thinned to my normal consistency and went over twice.

Of course I don't mind if you borrow. If I had the requisite skill all of my Templars would look like mad Matt's!

Edited by JAG Templar

Well done and you get extra thumbs up from me because I am a firm believer in controlling the skies.

I would say that you should consider doing all your canopies the same way. It's less distracting.

And to echo Brother Cristopher's comments, the canopies on your Talons looks most excellent!

Thanks! Yeah, I will look at doing something about the raven. I finished that model before I developed the idea for canopy painting. I feel like the gunner's cockpit is going to be very difficult to dismantle.

• 1 month later...

It's so the champions of the enemy can find and come to him as quickly as he seeks them out - ZEAL and efficiency is a great combination as it produces more dead traitors/heretics/mutants/xenos :thumbsup:

It's so the champions of the enemy can find and come to him as quickly as he seeks them out - ZEAL and efficiency is a great combination as it produces more dead traitors/heretics/mutants/xenos :thumbsup:

Yes! Although in his only few outings the cross just seemed to attract very panicked but very accurate Tau shooting.

Welcome brother.

I'm new to all of it as well, TFC kit sucks. That said, you just sit it away from harm and it dishes lots of pain, barrage it's fun too.

I'm now considering running 3 of them.

Welcome brother.

I'm new to all of it as well, TFC kit sucks. That said, you just sit it away from harm and it dishes lots of pain, barrage it's fun too.

I'm now considering running 3 of them.

Hey thanks. Was a little confused by your post then realised it was in reference to my first post at the start of this thread.

Updated my Crusade list and WIPs etc.

I didn't end up going for TFC as I've found that Grav Centurians in a drop pod and the Storm Wing formation provide a good chunk of the fire support I need.

Edited by JAG Templar

Thanks for your comments. Some of the highlights have been dulled a bit in the photograph but you're right only about 70 percent of the swirly bits have been edge highlighted. The rest are covered in dirt, damage or I simply got bored and stopped. Repetitive tasks not my strongest attribute!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I don't normally post battle reports or results but after a few tough games getting shot off the table by Tau I have emphatically defeated a Chaos army that included three filthy witches. Probably the most convincing victory that I've had in my very short career. No action photos because the other army was largely unpainted.

Here are the victors:

gallery_72111_11908_901377.jpg

It was a simple Purge the Alien 1500 points.

Black Templars

Castellan/ Captain - Thunder Hammer, SS

Honour Guard, 3 Swords, 2 Axes, Chapter banner with Castellan in LRC

2 x Six man Crusader Squads, heavy and special weapons

2 x Razorbacks

3 Grav Centurions in a drop pod

Raptor Wing Formation

Chaos Space Marines

The traitor version of a Librarius Conclave with Terminator Witches

A formation with Terminators and a Terminator Lord

3 Hellbruts with some special rules/ saves from a formation with traitor techmarine

It was the weirdest list I've ever faced. Slow, expensive and low model count.

He set up in a line with Hellbrutes on the right, two blobs of terminators in the middle and a blob of terminators on the left. Each blob had a witch in it, Lord positioned in the middle one.

I had the LRC and Land speeder on the left and both razorbacks on the far right in front of the hellbrute formation

Turn One Chaos

Everything moved forward in a line.

Some witchy things that didn't really come off.

Turn One Templars

The Centurions dropped behind his line near the middle and left-hand Terminator units. LRC and Land Speeder moved forward to the center of the battle field, and both Razorbacks moved forward 6 inches and their units disembarked.

Grav Cent shooting went exceptionally well, and his best Sorcerer, the Lord and a unit terminators disappeared without a trace. Razorbacks started the long task of taking hull points off the hellbrutes in front of them.

Turn Two Chaos

The terminator squad on the far left turned around and went straight after the Centurions. All other units moved forward towards the respective Templars in front of them.

The witch phase came and went. My opponent seemed obsessed with an ability that allowed him to take control of a unit of mine for a round of shooting. He managed to pull it off and a crusader squad shot at their own razor back - nothing of note happened.

The Centurions weathered a lot of bolter shooting before being charged. This went as expected and by the end of it one remained on one wound.

Turn Two Templars

Edit: The forum seemed to have chopped off the rest of this! Continued below.

Edited by JAG Templar

Turn Two Templars

The Talons came in automatically and the LRC moved towards his central terminators - the combined shooting completely destroyed the central terminator unit. Two dead witches.

The Razorbacks/ Crusaders knocked out a hellbrute.

The last centurion died in combat.

Turn Three Chaos

After killing the centurion his last terminator unit turned towards my LRC and the hellbrutes continued their plod up field.

The hellbrutes shot and missed with their multimeltas and failed their charge.

Turn Three Templars

The LRC delivered the HG with Castellan, ready for a fight (finally).

I shot a lot of stuff at the remaining terminators, and fortunately they survived as I really wanted to kill them in combat. Another hellbrute knocked out. 

Honour Guard and Captain charged resulting in all dead terminators, two dead HG and a third witch with his face hammered in.

At that point my opponent conceded.

I learnt a lot about mobility, and long range shooting in this game. Quite honestly the most one sided thrashing I've ever dished out, and by turn two I was feeling a bit sorry for him but it was so satisfying to kill that many witches in one day.

Also first outing for my custom dice!
Edited by JAG Templar

Nice work! Remember, no pity for the traitor or the heretic, and certainly not for the witch ;)

In seriousness, it can be a bit awkward when you totally thrash an opponent. At least he got to batter some grav-centurions (every other faction hates them :P )

From that report, I would say there was an important lesson in 'What happens when I drop pod a unit deep and unsupported behind enemy lines?' To which the answer was 'they die horribly.' It seemed to trade out well for you this time, but I think that under normal circumstances, that may be too valuable a unit to sacrifice in an alpha-strike, particularly against the likes of Tau.

Congratulations on the decisive victory! May your crusade roll on to even greater successes ;)

• 3 weeks later...