Jag's Crusade: Relapse

JAG Templar

• 1 month later...

Finally managed to finish Celestine and her girls. My only real issue with this whole scenario is the heads are built in, and cannot be detached for painting faces etc. Back to black Power Armour now!

med_gallery_72111_11908_350886.jpg

med_gallery_72111_11908_1693696.jpg

gallery_72111_11908_937343.jpg

Edited by JAG Templar

The white looks very white and very smooth, did you airbrush it ?

Hey cheers. I didn't airbrush the wings - I've never really had much luck with airbrushing white. It looks so effortless on tutorials, and I just end up with a milky mess.

The wings were done by building up very thin layers. Grey to Palid wych flesh to white. Maybe 10 thin layers in total. Basically took two days of: paint thin layer, go play video games, come back paint thin layer again, repeat.

Edited by JAG Templar

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Like most, I've been preparing for 8th edition and have dealt with emotional upheaval of The Primaris Marine announcement. I've got the Dark Imperium box coming as it was pretty cheap (especially once I subtract the Death Guard models a friend will be buying). So I'm now left with the choice of how I'm going to incorporate these large (but tactically underwhelming) models into my crusade. I settled on a different paint scheme altogether, mainly to maintain my interest after pumping out around 200 points for the last 18 months or so!

I wanted to use my developing airbrush skills and new weathering techniques, and here's what I'm going for:

gallery_72111_11908_989535.jpg

med_gallery_72111_11908_84962.jpg

med_gallery_72111_11908_450490.jpg

• 1 month later...

The Inceptors look great! The weathered whites are executed very well and add that extra level of depth. The airbrush highlighting is great too, subtle but gives them great dimension. I'm hoping I can nail these as well as you did!

Thanks for the comments

Where is that shield from? Brettonia?

Yep, it is. I'm finding it harder and harder to buy these though so thinking about blue stuff moulding some more.

I'm always on the lookout for should/ tilt shields as well- do you have any other sources?

Where is that shield from? Brettonia?

Yep, it is. I'm finding it harder and harder to buy these though so thinking about blue stuff moulding some more.

I'm always on the lookout for should/ tilt shields as well- do you have any other sources?

I have quite a few yet to be used from the DA vet kit; I'm somewhat low on modelling mojo at the moment. They have lots of swords on them, so there's some diamonds once you sort out the overtly DA stuff.

Nice weathering on the shoulder pads! Would you mind running me through what you did? Did you achieve this by airbrushing? Or drybrushing?

Yeah, no worries. The pads are painted using Pallid Wytch Flesh (never again will I use pure white!), and Armorcast decals added.

Damage sponged on and outlined (this time a thin line of white - P3 white is my favourite.).

The dirt is weathering power from secret weapon. I use the terracotta earth one because it matches my bases. I brush the powder on dry, and then paint over it with a matt varnish. There is a limited window to move the powder/ varnish solution around to ensure darker coverage in corners etc but I haven't been caught out yet!

Hope that helps - I researched a lot of techniques, and wasted a lot of money on fancy weathering liquids, and in the end powder + varnish was the best!

Hope that helps - I researched a lot of techniques, and wasted a lot of money on fancy weathering liquids, and in the end powder + varnish was the best!

This is really good to know. I really like how yours turned out and the Inceptors...I wasn't going to do any of my Primaris as Templars, but after seeing yours I'm having a serious rethink.

This is really good to know. I really like how yours turned out and the Inceptors...I wasn't going to do any of my Primaris as Templars, but after seeing yours I'm having a serious rethink.

Thank you - very high praise indeed. I went with inceptors first as an experiment because the models are a bit ugly, and not very good (in my experience) on the table - consequently, I wouldn't have minded too much if I messed it up!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

Work continues on my crusade with Hellblasters the latest unit completed. I notice a number of people have been using Grey Knights bits to make Primaris more Templar-ish, and I've jumped on the banwagon. Even the Castellan in the codex has GK bits so it must be official! I was slightly disappointed with the model quality on these guys - the trim on the right pauldrons is a bit distorted due to where the sprue joins. Otherwise happy with the finish:

med_gallery_72111_11908_695002.jpg

med_gallery_72111_11908_458651.jpg

med_gallery_72111_11908_152813.jpg

Castellan is next!

• 2 weeks later...