Jag's Crusade: Relapse

JAG Templar

Hi all,

I'm completely new to any form of miniature gaming, modelling etc. but I've taken a shine to the aesthetics and lore of the Black Templars, and started to build a crusade. I also like that there are no squad markings so there is more flexibility when deciding on a squad's loadout with regard to special and heavy weapons.

Already painted include:

1 x EC (the stock standard Finecast one)

Another EC based on a Forgeworld Imperial Fist commander (this was a very expensive way of doing things)

1 x Marshall (shield and sword)

1 x Marshall (shield and thunder hammer)

5 x Honour Guard and Banner

27 'shooty' Initiates with various special and heavy weapons (2x Melta gun, 1 plasma gun, 2 x power fist, 1 x missile launcher)

3 Sword Brethren (2 combi melta and lightening claw, 1 combi plasma and power sword)

10 stabby initiates

5 Sword Brethren TDA, Thunder hammer and SS

1 Las Razorback (bought it to experiment with air brush so that I could move on to LRC with confidence)

1 LRC

3 Dev Centurians, Grav cannon and missiles

5 drop pods

1 Storm Raven

2 ironclads

1 land speeder

2 StormTalons

Current WIPs include:

Saint Celestine!

Culexus Assassin

Already purchased:

5 vanguard vets

Proposed purchases:

Imperial Knight????

I'll photograph and post the painted stuff over the next few days, and although I've already stolen a lot of ideas from this forum I've got a plenty of questions:

1. Is it legit to create an Ironclad out of the Forgeworld Venerable Dread model just because he looks cool provided that the weapons are correct?

2. Can I model my stabby Initiates on 34mm bases and still use some of my old Sword Brethren on 25mm bases to lead the squad?

3. Can I make dreadnought drop pods by leaving out the centre console, instead of buying the ugly (and horrifically over priced) Forgeworld ones?

Pictures to follow.

Cheers

Edited by JAG Templar

To answer your questions:

1. The base of the model doesn't matter as low as it is a dreadnought body with the correct weapons.

2. GW has advised in the past that you play the models on the bases they were supplied with. So, shouldn't be an issue.

3. That's what I have always done.

1. If you are buying from forgeworld anyway, why not use the MKIV Ironclad? Otherwise I see no problem with using a different body as long as the wargear is correctly represented.

3. Even though they do not call it that anymore, what FW sells as a dreadnought drop pod, looks suspiciously like the Lucius pattern drop pod from IAA2. So there shouldn't be a problem using the normal drop pod kit to make a normal drop pod carrying a dreadnought. According to C:SM it is the same unit as the "infantry drop pod".

Edited by Quixus

Welcome to the Eternal Crusade, brother! I like the gritty look you have gone for, it always seems particularly appropriate for Black Templars.

I am currently doing the same thing with the FW BT venerable, having secured the ironclad arms/weapons separately. In fact all three of my dreads are a regular/venerable base. I like adorn them with shields to play up to the 'ironclad' theme, but the loadout is really all that matters.

I haven't yet got any models on the new base sizes, and will probably just accept the mixed-up inevitability of any new purchases being on larger ones.

I use the regular pods for my dreads too and intend to leave a couple of newly-built ones without the centre console just as you describe.

Cool - thanks for those replies, very helpful.

This is a Marshall that I modeled a while back before I started painting marines en masse (apparently you're supposed to paint rank and file first but it didn't seem as fun).

All comments/ suggestions welcome, although I'm pretty much committed to the dirt and damage theme now:

M1

M2

I'm using the Space Woof Dread for my BT Ironclad. The conversion work has stalled though. Most of my Blood Angels Dreads are from the wrong kit, only my Assault on Black Reach dreads get used as what they're supposed to be and I'll probably arm swap my Black Templar one into another Iron Clad.

2. Can I model my stabby Initiates on 34mm bases and still use some of my old Sword Brethren on 25mm bases to lead the squad?

It might look a bit stupid. Usually you want the leaders to have the bigger base.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey thanks. I found this when looking for Templarish shields in Empire bits from Warhammer Fantasy. It's an 'Empire General's Standard'. Added a shield and some chain, sanded some Empire iconography off it. I thought that quite a few people would have already done this kit bash for Black Templars as it has a cross on the hammer (well a lot of Empire stuff has crosses on it). Edited by JAG Templar

Yeah the Scibor Power Armor shoulder pads don't work very well with the standard Space Marine model arms, especially the old ones, they are rather short and usually the GW shoulder pads reach into the armor covering up the arm-torso joints quite well, the Scibor sort of sticks out of the shoulder and doesn't cover it up... it's also just a tad bit smaller than GW shoulder pads. I normally only use Scibor TDA pads since they make them the right sizes...

Love the style of your Templars, and not even a single mould line to be seen as well, well done :D and welcome to the Eternal Crusade.

Where's the Champion though... I've went through the gallery and spotted a few more nice things, but I didn't see the Champion of the Emperor ;)

As for the questions:

• Yes, but I'd be careful in buying arm weapons from FW, some arm attachments only work on certain dreadnoughts, and the GW standard dreadnought arms don't align properly to other dreadnoughts, you might end up just cutting off the peg and either pinning the arm with your own peg or gluing it into a permanent position.
  • As stated, you can, although if you're using Assault Marines or Vanguard w/ Jump Packs or Jump Pack Characters you may be asked to use 32mm bases, it is because of the HoW rules... it counts the number of units your model is in base contact with, models with smaller bases can hit more enemies by being lodged into the thick of them while the bigger based one can on;y have a max of 2-3 models in base contact with them. Also, you'd want to put a bigger base on units that are back or front heavy or those that have banners, the bigger base can help in stability especially in uneven terrain.
  • This shouldn't be an issue, in fact you're not supposed to use the FW Lucius Drop Pod as those things have their own rules which are found in IAv2: Warmachines of the Adeptus Astartes. I do the same thing with my Dreadnought Drop Pods, with the addition of silver paint on the fins denoting that they are Dreadnought Drop Pods

Oh right. Here is my current EC. His markings are likely to seem too 'chaplainy' to some but I really didn't know what I was doing at the start.

Working on another one using Forgeworld Templar Brethren shoulder pads (wish they came as a set of ten or something rather than the weapons upgrade pack).

gallery_72111_11908_745871.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...