Sorry to disappoint Reyner, but they are not Fallen Angels.

If it helps, they are a 40k force, rather than a 30k force. There is no mention of them anywhere in 30k lore (as far as I am aware).

Perhaps this WIP might help narrow down your guesses.

This grumpy looking fellow is the first of my Guardsmen for my SW:A killteam. What do you think?

http://i.imgur.com/bL4kqYEl.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/u5fuFrNl.jpg?1

He's a pretty simple model. The backpack and shotgun are from the Bolt Action US Marine kit. Turns out Bolt Action kits are pretty good for adding stuff to Guard models, and the sprues are packed with little extra gubbins, so ask your local Bolt Action player(s) if you can pillage their bitsbox.

http://i.imgur.com/M9ry0iBl.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/75f5bz0l.jpg?1

Unfortunately there was a bit of a mix up with the guy who gave me the backpacks, so I'll need to source some more. As an aside, if you happen to have any you'd be willing to part with, let me know.

In terms of work still to do on this model, I need to do a little greenstuff work and to sculpt a H harness to hold the backpack on. Sculpting is not my forte, but hopefully I can make something that looks decent.

The MDF building was part of a set of four I picked up for a few quid. They're rough and ready, but I think with a bit of TLC and some 40k bits, they'll turn out ok.

I haven't settled on a list yet, mainly because I don't have the Guardsman list, so I'll probably just make cool looking models for now, and make a list once I get the new book. In terms of special weapons, I hear that snipers and flamers are good options. Any other suggestions? I'm tempted to model up at least one grenade launcher.

C+C welcome and keep those guesses coming.

Dallo

• 3 weeks later...

The other day I decided to start organising my 40k bits to make kitbashing a bit easier, so I bought 30 resealable freezer bags and started clipping sprues. Turns out I may have slightly more stuff than I previously thought. :blush.:

All of those are now empty sprues and that's one of my guardsmen for scale. Better photos of him may follow, if there's any interest.

http://i.imgur.com/wbfWa1Wl.jpg?1

As a related tangent, how do you guys sort your bits boxes?

Dallo

Do you need another clue? I'm still enjoying making you guys guess. :p

They are from an Imperial Guard Regiment, as you probably guessed. The author has written a trilogy, and these guardsmen only feature in the second book. The author has not written any of the Horus Heresy books to my knowledge, so that should help narrow down the search.

Keep guessing guys. I believe in you.

Fight and win.

Dallo

Sorry kids, All good guesses, all are wrong.

I'll expand on one of my previous clues. Their symbol is a winged sword. The wings are not any type of bird wings or mammal wings (nor any type of mythological creature). You see this symbol at the top of the page for every new chapter in the book.

Keep guessing guys.

Dallo

Fair enough Olis, it's a fairly unknown book series, so if you haven't read them, you're never going to get the answer. Having said that, I can pretty much 100% guarantee that you have seen the artwork for the third novel in the series, since GW reused it for another of their products.

Dallo

Fair enough Olis, it's a fairly unknown book series, so if you haven't read them, you're never going to get the answer. Having said that, I can pretty much 100% guarantee that you have seen the artwork for the third novel in the series, since GW reused it for another of their products.

Dallo

I know I said I'd give up (and I have, honest!) but this isn't something to do with Jaq Draco, is it?

Sorry to disappoint, Olis.

TheCustodian has put you out of your misery. Congratulations to TheCustodian! What was it that finally gave it away? Also welcome to the Bolter and Chainsword! I hope you enjoy your time here. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and someone usually gets back to you.

Flesh and Iron is one of my all time favourite 40k novels. Combine that with the fact that I've never seen a Riverine army before and the release of SW:A and the choice of my next project was simple.

In addition to making a unique and characterful Killteam, I wanted to make it easier for anyone who was inspired by Flesh and Iron to make their own Riverine, so I've been writing down notes and quotes in my notebook, which I plan to share here when I get a minute. I plan to stay away from any established characters, so I can write my own fluff for them.

I hope to have another update by the end of the week.

Cheers all.

Dallo

Get an old meat grinder and chunk up the sprue left overs, it makes for some great debris for basing miniatures or piling up in layers on derelict/abandoned/exploded terrain pieces.

As for bits, I generally try to keep things together, arms and attached firearms, heads, legs, chest/back pieces, misc iconography, backpack/power plant and misc gear. Though I also got lucky enough to be gifted a shelving/divider unit that allows me to keep everything squared away. I also color coded/numbered each divider and made a cheat sheet so I wouldn't drive myself insane trying to look for one specific bit if I had a thing in mind.

Thanks for the advice Obscura. I'll probably just recycle the sprue as I'm moving house and trying to downsize, but the rubble thing is a good idea. I also sort bits by type, though my entire system could do with an overhaul as I've got several different systems running in tandom currently.

Haven't heard from you in a while. Are you still working on your Emperor's Children?

Dallo

Well, knock me down with a feather. I didn't know Henry Zou did a trilogy. I thought he only did two in that series before being punted from the BL team. I congratulate TheCustodian on getting it right. :happy.:

Edited by Olis

@Dallo - Yeah, it's been awhile. Nothing wrong with downsizing, though if you know anyone who has an old school meat grinder, just fill a gallon plastic bag with some of that so you have some plastic aggregate lying around when you want to do basing and stuff at your new place.

I built three Daemon Princes for my IIIrd along with a few other things, writing more fluff and I'll post it when I have the time as The Siege of Terra and The Scouring ( and forward ) give me a lot to work with.

Recently picked up a house, replaced the garage door with an automated roll up, turning that place into my hobby/gaming area. Have to do a lot of landscaping in the backyard and tear down a few things since it's a big piece of property. That pretty much keeps me busy until I get word back from the Local Union I'm trying to join.

On the bright side, if you ever visit CA, you have a place where you can stay so you're not spending all your money on hotel/motel fees.

• 2 years later...

Well I did promise long silences, didn't I? :whistling:

My gaming group are planning a narrative game between multiple factions, which will be played on a Swamp world. Tentatively we're aiming for September to give time for people to get their models and terrain together.

I thought this was the perfect opportunity to resurrect my Riverine Guardsmen project. The rules set is based on Necromunda, so I only need a relatively small number of models (5-10) rather than 15-20 for Kill Team or bucket loads for 40k proper.

The current plan is to have a Sergeant, some lasgun mooks, a mortar team, a sniper, a grenade launcher and possibly a flamer. They will need transport, so I've made a start on their ride, a Swift Boat (mentioned quite a bit in the novel where the Riverine are introduced: Flesh and Iron).

OBOThZCl.jpg

As you might have guessed, the boat is from a Lego kit. I've added coffee stirrers for planks (using various gubbins to hide the gaps) and scuffed up the exterior with a knife to make it look a little less like a Lego kit. The Skipper is still a WIP as I need to work out how to do the engine/rudder.

TlQemEnl.jpg

This is the gunner. All of the Guardsmen will have beards, as per the description of the regiment in Flesh and Iron. I felt I had to use the eyepatch head on my boat.

I've been trying out some techniques to make swamp bases. Here I'm experimenting with some Vallejo Still Water effects (currently drying).

AHIPRawl.jpg

Finally, the eagle-eyed among you may recognise this guy from earlier photos. Still a WIP, but I think this is the direction I'm going with the team.

KGY94C5l.jpg

C&C welcome.

Dallo