Alternative Sisters

Sororita Katya

Just a quick review: resin is high quality - similar to forgeworld, no bubbles or misalignment.  Almost no flash.  The individual selling them took several months to get around to responding, but he shipped the same day he accepted payment (he doesn't like getting the money until he is ready to ship).  He is just one person, so given how swamped with orders he is I understand the delay.  He told me that he isn't really ready to do a lot of foreign sales yet, but he made an exception for me since I was one of the first that contacted him.  I asked for DHL shipping, which was obviously expensive, and got a tracking number.  It arrived in a well-packed box, containing packaging and each squad in a well presented envelope.  Each individual sprue was in its own baggy.  He included a number of extra bits for free.  Overall, I'd give it five stars out of five.  Scale is spot-on, but is true-scale (like Forgeworld's DKoK models) rather than heroic, so if you put a Grishnak backpack next to a GW backpack, they are the same height but the Grishnak one is not as wide - similarly, hands are small etc.  Bolters are sized like the original Sisters bolters - so smaller than marine bolters.  Combi-weapon bits are included.

I can't say much else other than Ave Imperator!  They've made me very, very happy - and this sculptor deserves accolades and many sales.  The only downside is that if/when plastic sisters come out, they will probably be heroic scale and consequently look like naff compared to the Grishnak minis.

EDIT: I contacted him on VK.com - the Russian facebook.  He speaks english just fine.

EDIT 2: DHL shipping took only four days and cost $60.  Normal shipping would have been less than $10, but would have taken anywhere from a few weeks to a few months because it would have been the Russian Postal Service.  The sculptor was very accommodating and willing to ship however I preferred.

My biggest reservation about plastic Sisters or Grishnak's molds is the fact that they would never match up with my existing Sisters.  I'm attached to most of them after what's nearly a twenty year relationship.  And I'm a bit nuts about things not matching up.  So they are a no go for me.  Hope they work well for everyone else though.

After I have some painted (probably will be a few weeks before I have the chance... between running a business and going out of state to help my elderly parents prep for a hurricane, time isn't something I have a lot of), I'll take a group picture with some of my GW sisters.  You never know how they will 'group up' as it were until you see them all painted and sitting together on a table.

After I have some painted (probably will be a few weeks before I have the chance... between running a business and going out of state to help my elderly parents prep for a hurricane, time isn't something I have a lot of), I'll take a group picture with some of my GW sisters.  You never know how they will 'group up' as it were until you see them all painted and sitting together on a table.

I am looking forward to seeing it.  

First blush has me keenly interested in the Grishnak models...

He charged me $25 per 5 girl squad, but I imagine that that price is subject to change once he starts mass producing them.

Also, don't expect a prompt response.  After they exploded across the internet he got more messages than he could handle, hence why he isn't ready to go international yet.  I just last week got a response, and I contacted him before the news made it to any of the mainstream forums (Dakka, B&C, etc) and it was still an 'unknown.'  I imagine he is going to go through messages in the order he received them, so you could be in for a wait.

Anyway, I don't want to presume to speak for him - the above is my extrapolation and supposition from my contact with him, so use the Inquisitorial Blessed Salt.

Just placed an order, very excited to see this. Response time was 6 days but very apologetic and explained that Grishnak miniatures is now up and running to take orders. Took only a day to place my order, get the info and confirmation. I opted for the regular shipping so we'll see how fast $6.00 US makes a package go from Russia. I also asked about what other miniatures might be coming along in the future.

I guess you could convert SoS models if you play somewhere that doesn't allow third-party models/bits.  Otherwise, Grishnak is cheap and apparently filling orders now as per TheOneTrueZon's post... and they look perfect out the box.

For aesthetic reasons I'm going to be building a hybrid SoB army that's Grishnak / Raging Heros / Upcoming Sisters release. I want to make an army that is more akin to SoB artwork. I ordered extra backpacks from Grishnak so I could use them on the Raging Heros minis since they'll be close if not exact in scale. Some of the RH backpacks are a *little* too over the top ::SARCASM ALERT:: (yes I'm looking at you Sister Altarii). My regular troops will be a mix of Grishnak (calling that Mk1 armor) and RH (Mk2 armor), Seraphim will be from RH as I've never been a fan of the jump pack "dangly pipes" the GW scuplts have. I doubt the plastic release will completely rewrite the book on the design scheme the SoB have and the Seraphim jump packs will still be too similar to reconcile my loathing for it.

The question that I wonder: From a designers perspective, armies as a whole should have a certain level of cohesiveness in their look. So when they get rebooted, take the genestealers for example, they have all the trapping of the older models but are simply better scuplts and not completely re-writing the book. Also, Magnus the Red, if you look at the old sculpt vs the new - nothing really revolutionary, just more detail and refinement (wings? check. staff? check. horns? many checks. beard? nah, he shaved it. one eye? two this time. still has a loincloth? of course, there's children here for chrissakes). Therefore I think the GW update to the SoB will primarily be fixes to faces, modular / dynamic poses, and maybe a new unit.

I wait to be pleasantly surprised. I will certainly get some of the new models from GW, but until there's pictures I feel modelers like Grishnak and RH are filling the void nicely until then. 

Also Sisters of Silence is going to be rad, rad, rad. Cannot wait to see those. Will there be a Sisters of Silence subcatergory?

Just placed an order, very excited to see this. Response time was 6 days but very apologetic and explained that Grishnak miniatures is now up and running to take orders. Took only a day to place my order, get the info and confirmation. I opted for the regular shipping so we'll see how fast $6.00 US makes a package go from Russia. I also asked about what other miniatures might be coming along in the future.

I've been trying for months to make contact with no response...how did you contact Grishnak?

Those Grishnakh models sure do look pretty nice. Hopefully GW's plastics really are coming and they look as good. I do prefer sticking with official models as a rule (the only third-party stuff I have right now is some cloaks from Anvil Industries), but more than that, being able to order with a few clicks rather than emails and whatnot is a major plus :P

Got permission to pass along contact information, and a little update as well:

For orders, email this address: grishnak.order@gmail.com

• Contact, at least from my interactions, understands and writes in English

• Allow up to a week for initial responses, based on my current order

• Accepts PayPal

Here's the prospective lineup:

Currently we are working only on War Maidens army and here are our plans... But only Emperor knows, how much time will it take.

1. Individual melta weapons on sprues.

2. Dominions - Dynamic running poses

3. Retributors with heavy weapons in static/defensive poses

4. Tank kit that makes Immolator, Rhino, repressor, exorcist.

5. Sisters in non combat poses (praying, etc)

6. Cannoness character

7. Celestine

8. Priests

9. Repenting ladies (half naked models)

10. Command Squad , models in ornate armor

11. Pistols and swords for Command Squad

12. Conclave crusaders/death cults

I am very interested in the "Sisters in non-combat poses". That would certainly be something that GW does not delve into often, if ever. 

I'm going to try to make contact again, thanks for the info.  Do you know if he will sell quantities of individual poses or will he only sell them in the sets of 5?

I believe they are casted on individual sprues, but I am unsure as to if that's possible. Can't hurt to ask!

B7wIooHwT5Q.jpg

Archived