Richies Heresy Blog; Ultramarines, Sons Of Horus

richmarine

So I want to give 30K Ultramarines a go. Having spent years of Ultra Bashing I’ve finally thrown in with the blue.

Previously I’ve worked on the Sons of Horus which can be found here:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/303807-richmarines-sons-of-horus/

Before that, it was Iron warriors/World Eaters/Dark Eldar and Dark Angels oh so many years ago.

So that being said I’ve never done loyalists or bright(ish) colours.

I plan on documenting what I’m doing for others and myself to refer back to when I forget how I painted what or what I used and when in games etc.

I may also flitter back to the SOH where the need suits me.

Here’s my initial ZM Force:

+++ Ultra ZM (1247pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List ((Zone Mortalis) Combatant) ++

+ HQ +

Legion Praetor [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Chainfist, Combi-Weapon] ····Master of the Legion [Zone Mortalis Assault Force]

+ Elites +

Contemptor-Cortus Class Dreadnought Talon ····Cortus Dreadnought [Heavy Flamer, Plasma Cannon]

Invictarus Suzerain Squad [5x Invictarus Suzerains, Thunderhammer]

+ Troops +

Legion Breacher Siege Squad [2x Graviton Gun, 9x Legion Breacher Siege Space Marines, Legion Vexilla] ····Legion Breacher Siege Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Power Fist]

Legion Tactical Squad [9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade] ····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Weapon]

Legion Terminator Squad [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Chainfist, Heavy Flamer, 4x Legion Terminators, 2x Lightning Claw, Power Fist] ····Legion Terminator Sergeant [Chainfist]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [Loyalist, XIII: Ultramarines]

Created with BattleScribe

Some Pics;

First Crack at UM Scheme, Loosely based on some Utube tutorials, forgeworlds paint scheme and using HarryPotters vast array of Blue paints for me to try out.

http://i.imgur.com/M1iAFAG.jpg

Rest of the stuff is BaC stuff with a few resin bits glued on.

Cut of the BaC contemptor arms and magnetised the forge world ones. I plan to paint the FW stuff black so I can swap all the contemptor weapons between my SOH and UM.

http://i.imgur.com/pf5H3by.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/WCYF9EU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mBuW0pG.jpg

Last image is a Chaplain I want to run in my 2K list. I've salvaged the crozius and glued it to his back whilst attaching much better legatine axe for extra laughs.

Also swapped out the plasma pistol with a bolt pistol which wasn't too difficult.

http://i.imgur.com/doosI3d.jpg

WIP of my veteran breacher srg.

I've tried to paint the void warfare sigil on the knee. But it needs tidying up. Really liked some of the bolters displayed in book six so tried to replicate it.

http://i.imgur.com/Ampu7kd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OMV6SCN.jpg

So I've finished the sergeant to a level. Thinking it maybe needs a bit of silver on the gold to finish it off. What do you guys think?

Started highlighting the blue on the other 9. It's getting a bit tedious.

http://i.imgur.com/cstNo9z.jpg

Also bought so 40k ultramarine bits to upgrade to calth HQ Sprues a bit.

• 4 weeks later...

Gorgeous blue! What paints did you use? Also, any updates? :smile.:

Yes i need to do that, had a game with my soh against alpha legion and i painted a bit of gold. Its been slow...

But i shall put some pics up soon.

With a title like Rich Marines, I expected more gold chains. :biggrin.:

I'm not very creative with names so I use mine. And I'm far from being actually rich, just called Rich. and Space-Marines, Ultra-Marines, Rich-Marines. make sense. Could always do a :cuss legion and call em Poor marines I suppose *cough-deathguard-Cough*.

Had a 2,000 point game of 30K with a nice chap in Leamington, Alpha legion Vs My Sons of Horus, not quite a fluffy game but who knows with alpha legion. My List consisted of:

Praetor with Paragon Blade and the usual stuff (used my Loken model)

12 tac Marines with CCWs with a apothecary in a storm eagle with Loken.

10 tac Marines on foot

10 tac support with volkite cavaliers, srg had a auspex with a Apothecary

Contemptor with grav and kheres

5 justaerin in a dreadclaw

And a sicaran.

I think the Alpha legion had:

Saboteur

Praetor with paragon blade in a squad with 5 terminators with lightning claws

3-10 man tactical squads

10 man volkite culverin

5 man melta squad in a rhino

2 contemptors- one with dual plasma cannons the other dual kheres

And a Scorpius

Game was long table edge, victory pts for each unit in enemy deployment + usual extras.

I totally forgot about this and went for kill everything.

I hid in cover most of the game with my infantry units to avoid hardship from the Scorpius and the dual plasma dread. However my contemptor was my hero of the match destroying both enemy contemptors in Close combat and a few terminators, the dual plasma on the contemptor was hampered by shaken results. But the dual kheres is a force to be reckoned with.

The alpha legion mostly infiltrated. Their command squad infiltrated into the middle of the table. Two rounds of shooting from tactical and my contemptor wiped out the terminators leaving the praetor alone in the centre of the board. Which I ignored the entire match.

Remaining units outflanked, which hurt a bit. Alpha legion tac squads appeared in my deployment zone as I pushed up. My justaerin Deep struck in the dreadclaw turn one and assaulted the volkite culverins, wiped them out and was then hit with 5 meltaguns from a outflanking rhino, they lost 2 and proceeded to assault and wipe out the melta squad. Then another tactical squad outflanked and assaulted the remaining 2 justaerin, lost one more and the remaining justaerin on one wound managed to tie up the squad for the remainder of the game.

My storm eagle was a disappointment. Even with Soh rules I rolled 2 and 3 every turn (alpha legion had -1 to my reserve roll) so came in auto on turn 4

Sicaran was also disappointing as most of my shots went wide. It was put out of its misery by the Saboteur after being peppered by the enemy dual kheres.

Scorpius, I really liked the amount of damage and board control it had on my Sons of Horus, Its ability to hurt so many different thing is great, and so I’m going to include it with my ultras.

Overall the game was a draw, (I think) either way it was a great game and thanks to my opponent Chris.

I'll try to add some pics later.

Later:

Deployment (6X4)

27201116285_05781b22f1_h.jpgSoh vs alpha legion. by Richard Jones, on Flickr

Dreadclaw hovering around

26594822334_5f45771a73_h.jpgSoh vs alpha legion. by Richard Jones, on Flickr

Just-one-aestin

27132133141_05660f788d_h.jpgSoh vs alpha legion. by Richard Jones, on Flickr

Damn saboteur

27104943522_74ba2a4584_h.jpgSoh vs alpha legion. by Richard Jones, on Flickr

Choice, Praetor or contemptor? contemptor.

27132112731_9ed5b8c8da_h.jpgSoh vs alpha legion. by Richard Jones, on Flickr

Progress on the Ultras:

So my srg with Power fist has set the tone for the rest. I like the blue which is partially inspired by FW paint scheme which uses a mix of GW and Vallejo. I decided on mix of the two as well.

One thing I can say about MK3 plate is the shear amount of detail, hence why this taking a long time (doom, Uncharted 4 and battlefleet gothic armarda is also to blame).

26841403140_99cb4366a5_h.jpgUltramarine breachers by Richard Jones, on Flickr

Also decided to batch paint these and kept the shoulder pads, power packs and shields separate. I’ve finished the gold now on the marines but still have the other parts to do

27115735965_3233f194e4_h.jpgUltramarine breachers by Richard Jones, on Flickr

I’ve also been looking at roman infantry and liked some the lightning symbols used, so I’ve tried to decorate the weapons a bit.

27047268361_6f29c29fc9_h.jpgUltramarine breachers by Richard Jones, on Flickr

26841408220_d0945c62b2_h.jpgUltramarine breachers by Richard Jones, on Flickr

26841410710_b1482b4220_h.jpgUltramarine breachers by Richard Jones, on Flickr

lastly I've received a goody bag from FW; Ordered a MK2B Land Raider, Demios pattern rhino, Ultramarine decals, heads, torsos and a Scorpios. not sure on my other Heavy support choices yet.

I've only bought 10 heads and 5 torsos as I like to mix them up between squads. the custom plates I think are always a good way to identify AA.

I've also bought the GW ultramarine weapon set. I want to convert the chaplain from the BaC to use the two power swords and have them as a counts as a single paragon blade. I also think the shoulder pads and heads wouldn't look too out of place on Mk4.

Those breachers are great, love the blue. How have you done it?

Blue. Only kidding. I've used these paints;

Azul blue. Watered down. Vallejo used as shade. Brushed on.

Ultramarine blue Vallejo base. Airbrush. Then airbrushed again over shaded, from side on and above.

Caledor Sky; GW. Airbrush Zenitel. Used again for edge highlighting.

Guilliaman blue. GW. Brushed on mixed with a Vallejo medium. Keeps it smooth. Really makes the blue pop. Edge highlighting goes on after this.

Teclis blue; edge highlighting on edges. I only edge highlight stuff you can see. From 45 degrees

Lothern blue; edge highlight. Only extreme edges or to pick out fingers or other detail. Not really sure if it needs it though. Looks too "40k".

I have researched equivalent GW paintes. The azul blue is Kantor blue and ultramarine is macragge blue.

I got the recipe from FW but I think I've seen a post somewhere which has the GW equivalent.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished my first ultramarine squad. used the decals from forgeworld and i can't say enough good things about them

27569572056_172bfcc3ea_h.jpgUltramarine breachers. by Richard Jones, on Flickr

26993445314_7e08ad75fd_h.jpgUltramarine breachers. by Richard Jones, on Flickr

26993437884_a168be0562_h.jpgUltramarine breachers. by Richard Jones, on Flickr

27530644311_cb9f65eb8c_h.jpgUltramarine breachers. by Richard Jones, on Flickr

They still need some touching up but they are more or less done. Just need the bases doing.

I'm thinking of using the new 32mm bases that GW has recently bought out. they look like they could pass off as calth or a statship interior etc. has anyone had a chance to try these bases?

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update on my progress;

Have not yet pulled the trigger for the 32mm bases yet. Really wanted them to be the interior of a star ship,

In the mean time I’ve sealed my Contemptor ready for weathering. Still not sure on some of decal positioning but I can still remove them if I change my mind.

Just have 5 Cataphractii and Suzie’s to complete from the first painted batch,

I’ve also changed the Praetor, I wanted AA to allow for sweeping advances with a paragon blade so I’ve adapted the B@C chaplain to take the two power swords from the UM 40K upgrade kit to count as that weapon. I’ve also swapped the head out and butchered other bits the bling up the character a bit. In ZM he will be with the Suzie’s

I’ve also build the final unit for the ZM, a Tactical squad which I’ve used the FW upgrade kit for. I’ve also added a few shoulder pads from the 40K upgrade set, hopefully they won’t look too out of place.

The Contemptor below I’ve festooned with Decals from the FW set. I wanted to have some history on him so I’ve placed some heavy support icons on and then a captain’s sigil on the gorget as the last position in the ultramarines before he took an arrow to the knee. He also carries a few veteran honours which in true Warhammer style feature many skulls. The only thing I’m not keen on is the UM symbol on the greave.

27788210426_b9788801f5_h.jpgUltramarine contemptor by Richard Jones, on Flickr

27746815311_9a5a9ba67a_h.jpgUltramarine contemptor by Richard Jones, on Flickr

27721407112_bff0ce76bc_h.jpgUltramarine contemptor by Richard Jones, on Flickr

Wow all of this is awesome. Love the conversion of the chappie for him to have an axe, its the way to go! :tongue.: (my BaC chappie wields a rather large axe....) Those transfers do look terrific, maybe I'll have to try and use decals for the first time since I started the hobby. 

The scroll on the front of the contemptor is really well done as well. How'd you do it? Keep up the awesome work! 

The scroll on the front of the contemptor is really well done as well. How'd you do it? Keep up the awesome work!

Thanks very much: a steady hand, a magnifying lamp and patience. I try to keep the paint watered down so it's a bit smooth. Too be honest it was too watery and pooled in some places so I had to tidy it up with a little gold.

Some Pics;

First Crack at UM Scheme, Loosely based on some Utube tutorials, forgeworlds paint scheme and using HarryPotters vast array of Blue paints for me to try out.

It's only like 18 different shades, that I've never actually used....

• 2 weeks later...

Time for another update,

Next up are the ultramarine terminators, I wanted a balanced squad optimised for ZM, and I decided to bling up the sergeant and identify him with a shield and a little bit more gold than the rest.

I wanted these guys to look like basic troops for a boarding acting rather than an Invictus honoured squad, so I really wanted to put the tactical double triangle on them but couldn’t get the decal to look right. So I opted to cut the UM Symbol in half and place them on each shoulder pad.

27429412113_44989f107c_h.jpgUntitled by Richard Jones, on Flickr

Next up is the suzerain squad. I want to try and use some schemes on these chaps that I have planned for girlyman. I want to try and get a marble effect on the shields and maybe on the UM symbols on the armour.

Below is a progress shot of the 1250 ZM army using the new ZM right of war to make the termies troop. Still thinking about using the new GW bases with a mix of my own custom ones. I want the suzies on marble floors to match girlyman. I have an idea involving some lacquer car paint to get a super shiny effect.

27979980511_d5b6054003_h.jpgUntitled by Richard Jones, on Flickr

Archived