Chmur's Consecrators - UPDATE! FINALLY.

Chmur

In other news, I tried starting a blog, link in description below. While I will keep updating this thread as well, stuff like battle reports, musings and probably more detailed progress and my attempts at conversions will go there.

If anyone is interested in checking out how I manage to loose to IG 9:13, you can follow this link

And moreover, finally managed to dust-proof my display cabinet and even install LED lightning:

http://i.imgur.com/m41V0gWl.jpg

@GRC: No, those are lights, it's garage sale display case so I had to fit my own LED lights.

Dustproofing if done by sticking those tapes that have fibres on them into the gaps between the glass and the frame.

Models usually are there, at that point they were packed in cases for battle :)

@Major Gilbear: No idea what you mean by "top was left off"

those tapes that have fibres on them into the gaps between the glass and the frame.

Ah, brush seals. I understand now. :)

@Major Gilbear: No idea what you mean by "top was left off"

I simply thought that top of the cabinet wasn't initially fitted, to allow you access for installing the lights. I was wrong though! :)

So, my Sevrin Loth just arrived, so I can start on my count-as Ezekiel.

There is a bit of flaw in the cast, a hole in his bolter holster, but that can be easily repaired with green stuff. I have to think about how to pose his power sword hand; the power sword will be done together by the hilt of the DA upgrade sprue sword (bottom) and the blade from Dark Vengeance company master:

http://i.imgur.com/gZ8onjUh.jpg

The other thing I am not sure of at the moment and I need to think through and as well ask you here around is, should I remove the aquilla eagleheads from the book and the shoulderpads? That way there should be left only Dark Angelish wings with Consecrators badge in the middle of the shoulderpad where I already scraped off the Scorpion. Thoughts?

http://i.imgur.com/XpOYTV0h.png

Nothing wrong with eagle heads; they are Imperial afterall!

If you do remove the eagle heads though, consider adding a sword (or the hilt) with some putty where the eagle/head used to be?

For two-handed sword arms that are not robed, have a look at the Eviscerator in the new plastic Assault Marines kit. :)

I'd say Yes to removal of the Eagle heads. 

Nothing wrong with eagle heads; they are Imperial afterall!

If you do remove the eagle heads though, consider adding a sword (or the hilt) with some putty where the eagle/head used to be?

For two-handed sword arms that are not robed, have a look at the Eviscerator in the new plastic Assault Marines kit. :smile.:

They are imperial, but I am trying to go with the Consecrators there and use it as MKIV and older armour, which means little to no Imperial marking on the plating.

I originally didn't want to do 2H pose like Ezekiel has, instead using Sevrin Loth's pose like he is in his original model... but looking at my boxes the 2H pose actually might be far better...

Whilst the Consecrators use older marks of equipment, and this is presumed to be original hand-me-down relic stuff from the DA, it isn't actually stated as such anywhere (to my knowledge, anyway).

If this presumption is true, then that armour was with Chapter iconography post-Heresy; it wouldn't therefore be unreasonable to see more Imperial iconography added in as well.

Additionally, if you similarly presume that older armour marks in general are all lovingly maintained and restored Heresy-era suits, then you only have to look at the other Imperial Space marine Chapters to see Imperial iconography has been added over the years.

Finally, from a modelling-only note; adding a little Imperial iconography here-and-there to HH models used for Consecrators helps the army "feel" 40k and not 30k.

Major, it actually is somewhat stated at the Deathwatch: Rites of Battle RPG rules:

http://i.imgur.com/24fUevP.png

At least that's how I read it. Furthermore, expanding on the current workings of Imperium, I would dare say that Consecrators/Unforgiven must have some very neat forgeworld/mechanicum contacts since the chapter is really rather invisible to the Imperium and no one is pushing the Council to press Consecrators into giving up the older marks of Heresy / pre-Heresy era armour, which, in my mind, would be any Mechanicum agent's dream come true.

Now, that's how I like to look at the Consecrators and, as you stated, there has been nothing said for or against (although I preffer to see all the subtle hints as a "for") - I would assume there are techpriests/techmarines amongst Consecrators fanatically devoted to maintaining the older marks of armour in their original, unchanged versions, thus I have decided to opt against any visible Imperium iconography - definitely visible eagles on chests, helmets etc and go with the more 30K ish look, as you described it. It's what I hinted at in Amnon's story (or attempted to hint at) and that is that the Consecrators are really staying under the radar as they consider themselves more in spirit of the original legions etc (for example once we get clear view on Dreadwing etc organisation and markings I will actually put them somewhere as little details on my heavy weapon Consecrator marines). Therefore I am fully for displaying "parent" markings like Wings, even broken sword, but not really much of the God-Emprah iconography.

But I fully accept that this is my personal view on the matter and while I will try to convince others I might be right, I have no issues with agreeing to disagree on this, as there is no canon on Consecrators really and well, YMMV, there's rule of cool and I have no issue if anoyne does their minis other way around, I decided to go this way. 

Now let's just wait for our next Codex that will retcon all this and bite me in the ass :smile.:

Anyways, back on topic of Sevrin Loth: I did shave the aquilla heads, and I have to agree the shoulders were probably a mistake, they seem hollow now and I will have to come up with something to put there. No idea what yet. The book looks imho better without it and I have already raided my RW upgrade sprue for "suitable" addition. Here they are A to D, please let me know your opinions - images link to bigger pictures.

A - nothing at all
http://i.imgur.com/GnTWTFct.jpg

B - DA 1
http://i.imgur.com/0wAfV4qt.jpg

C - DA 2 - so far my favourite, ornate enough for Ezekiel, Dark Angelish enough to be themed.
http://i.imgur.com/c7RFYPht.jpg

D - DA 3
http://i.imgur.com/E1hFskXt.jpg

And this here is his final pose and sword:

http://i.imgur.com/R1P86tb.gif

Man, he looks like a relic from the past, brutal and intimidating.  I cannot wait to see some paint on him!

As for the book topper... I cannot say that I am a fan of any of them, they look a little too big.  Perhaps the one from the DA upgrade sprue may be a better fit or maybe one of the other ones from the Vets upgrade pack?

Major, it actually is somewhat stated at the Deathwatch: Rites of Battle RPG rules:

What is stated there is what I explained in my post; and observer who saw a proportion of the Chapter is recorded as having made certain assumptions about what he saw. And that's it; no definite statement either way about why they have the stuff or where/when it came from. So you can justify whatever you like really, and it wouldn't be right or wrong either way (at least, for now!). :)

With regards to the model, it looks very good, but agree with Epher that the book-mounted icons you've shown look a bit awkward. There is a little hooded winged skull icon on the Vets sprue that could work better though: it's smaller and the hood is a nice nod the both the Librarian and Inner Circle status of the figure.

I think you need to go with either the book or an icon. I think one on top of the other just makes it too tall and unbalancing. The sword on the other hand is a perfect fit.

I think the book on its own looks best. Get your DA iconography in elsewhere such as the sword. Sometimes less is more. Maybe switch out the left shoulder to display your chapter icon.

I think the book on its own looks best. Get your DA iconography in elsewhere such as the sword. Sometimes less is more. Maybe switch out the left shoulder to display your chapter icon.

Plan for left shoulder was not to switch it out, but to add Consecrator badge. Took 2 hours, not really as clean as I would like it to be, but I call it a win for first attempt of such kind. Will probably try to correct it once it's dried firm and then with some paint. Three will be purity seals arranged over the "tail" of the aquilla. Not touching it until it dries tho :D

http://i.imgur.com/vxz4tF6m.png

As I have changed jobs this month I've been fairly busy to do any further modelling, but since I've changed jobs this months I still have plenty of office time to kill before all my acesses etc are set-up that I was able to collect my thoughts on my ideas behind Consecrators.

It's saying again what has been said in this thread already, however probably more compiled together. If you fancy, here is the blog link to read the article, if you don't, then you don't :)

Archived