Iron Hands battlereps

Bmseifer

So, today I played two games against new and unknown opponents. First game was 1250p and second was 1850. We somewhat agreed beforehand to keep the model count low so time wouldn't be an issue. Now on to the games:

Game 1 (1250p)

I took a FoM Strike Force:

Armored Task Force (2 vindis, 1 auto/hb pred, techmarine and 1 thunderfire cannon)

Raptor Wing (stock land speeder, 2 talons with typhoon)

Command(tooled up smashfather with cmd squad on bikes)

He plays Necrons with a mechrite formation something containg:

2 squads of warriors, one in a nightscythe the other in an ark

1 squad of immortals with a lord and cryptic

1 monolith

Mission is maelstrom something (the one where you get tactical objectives by controling objective markers)

I's a pretty even game where the decisive factor was his bad teleport with his lord. He was trying to flank my cmd squad to avoid the chapter master tanking but scattered bad and didn't get a clean shot. My CM and his overlord where locked in combat for the entire game, I think we where both down only 1 wound by the end of the game. On turn 4 and 5 I manage to draw good objective cards and I go from 2-3 to 5-3 VP's, winning me the game.

Game 2 (1850)

I take pretty much the same list as the 1250p game but i remove the thunderfire and add a melta tac squad and ironclad, both in drop pods. I also bring my Knight Crusader

He plays AM and the most funny list I've seen

He deploys his entire army consisting of 3! units. 2 Chimeiras with a melta and a plasma vet squad. And then the 1500points blob consisting of a Storm Lord containing 10 bullgryns, yarric, 3 lvl2 psykers, 3 priest, an engine seer and something else I don't remember, filling up all 40points of transport capacity. He have nothing to compete with for the objective game, the mission is deadlock, and the desicive point of this game is when his 1000p 'deathstar' disembarks and fail their charge roll, leaving them to eat the combined firepower of my whole army and the charge from my knight. The remains manage to get a few power maul and meltabomb glances on my knight before he stomps them all to death. He concedes after turn 3 with only the Storm Lord left and me up by 3 VP's

Conclusion on the FoM rules:

I found the benefit of getting PotMS very lacklustre. I was excited about the ATF being a cheap core but it didn't do very much for me. Maybe it was the composition of my forces or how I played them. The +1 fnp was very good even though these list didn't capitalize so much on it. Next time I will definately try one of the demi-co's as my core and add a conclave. Maybe run with a second cmd squad in a pod as well.

I think you really have to dedicate your list to vehicles if PotMS is going to be a factor. It seems like it will be just an added perk if you go Demi-Company and use razorbacks. But won't be decidedly game-breaking. I have been trying to come up with a demi-company FoM list to really take advantage of it. But I can't get the points to line up.

I think the +1 FnP is more relevant and worth cspitalizing on as opposed to tanks. 3+ 5++ Marines is Necron-level of durability. You could spam bodies and occupy the objectives and simply outlast the opponent.

Definately. That's why I will try to build a FoM based on a demi-co next time for obSec and the one doctrine for some alphastrike boost

• 2 weeks later...
So, has anyone else had a chance to try the new Strike Force? Probably the biggest gripe I have right now is that it practically forces us even more to run an 800pts bike star. I don't feel it gives us anything else really that makes up for going no-cad. Giving normal marines a 5+ instead of 6+ fnp by sprinkling IC'S around doesn't really do anything. Only application for it are once again with the command squad.

I won't be able to try mine until ETL starts (planning assembly based on that), but I'm glad to see some early results from you guys.  I think the big push for FoMSF is going to be making the most of ICs and their FnP bubble, leading to stronger infantry formations and hammer units.  PotMS is "nice" but not something to center a strategy on; if you wanted to really take advantage of it, you'd need more multi-gun tanks, like LRs and Predators.  In particular, PotMS could be HUGE for a full Predator squadron that want to take advantage of their squadron rules and spread the love around (ie. firing TL Lascannons at different targets with Tank Hunters, etc.).

Reckon 'Fast' Vindicator tanks will be a good application for PotMS as well. Techmarine on a bike and give yourself a 36" threat range on delicious s10 pieplates

• 2 weeks later...

So I had another 2 games using the IH Strike Force. I didn't put much time tuning the lists so I ended up using almost the same as my first 2 games.

*Note* For both these games we used the new Death from the Skies rulebook but decided to not use the dogfight and air superiority rules since no one built there list with that in mind.

First game was 1.400 pts vs Necrons, Maelstrom mission tactical escalation

My list:

Core ATF

2 Vindi siege shield

1 autocannon heavy bolter pred

1 harness techmarine on foot

Aux Raptorwing

2 Stormtalons w skyhammers

1 landspeeder w MM

Strike Force Command

Smashfather with command squad

Flyer Wing

2 Stormhawks w skyhammers

His list was something like

Monolith

overlord and cryptek with 10 immortals

Ark with 10 warriors

Doomscythe

13 warriors on foot

6 scarabs

The game was pretty even in the first couple of turns with the Necrons taking the lead in VP's. From turn 3 I started slowly decimating his forces and by turn 5 he only had the monolith still standing and me up in VP's by 4 or 5 pts. The game continues but he concedes. Stars of the game was smashfather as usual, and the two stormhawks that came in and removed both the doomscythe and the ark. And even after the air targets was gone the hawks was still pretty decent targeting ground units.

Game 2 was me 2.000pts facing two players with 1.000 pts each, AM and 30k Death Guard

I use pretty much the same list, i remove the raptor wing and take an Ironclad in a pod as auxiliary instead. And I add a Strike Wing and a Knight Crusader

The AM has

2 vanquishers, Pask in one of them

Vendetta with storm troopers(we ruled the vendetta as an attack flyer)

a couple of guard squads

a command squad in a chimeira

DG has

Grave wardens

Death shrouds in a Phobos LR

2 Tactical squads

Mission is cloak and shadows. First 2 turns is me moving up field and they trying to shoot my Knight and Vindicators. By turn 3 I connect with my smashfather, Knight and Ironclad and my Strike wing comes in blowing the vendetta out of the sky with tankhunter and ignores cover. Add the fact that I've been able to get all 3 objective cards each turn, by turn 5 we call it with a VP score of something like 15-5 to me. Stars of the game was the Ironclad and the *surprise* smashfather with command. Strike wing didn't have a big impact since after they came in on turn 3 and shot the Vendetta out of the sky, it was pretty much game for me.

I really need to make a new list without the ATF and try some new stuff like Skyhammer or Kill Team. I hope this ETL will result in more painted models to use smile.png

Kudos to you for using the ATF.

As an ultra player it makes almost no sense for me to use it, but I'm shocked how little coverage it seems to be getting. I was happy to read this. :)

Here's hoping the upcoming C: SM FAQ answers the Vehicles -> IWND question once and for all!  Assuming we get GW's blessing, I think the ATF may actually be a semi-competitive choice for the Sons of Medusa, especially in the Strike Force!

Well I don't really use the ATF for its capabilities but more as a cheap way to enable the Fist of Medusa benefits for my chapter master with cmd squad. The vindicators can be stars when they manage to stay intact for a couple of turns but since I mostly face necrons that doesn't happen very often

One funny thing that happened in the last game though was my opponent bubble wrapped my cmd squad on bikes disabling me from moving and charging a better target so I tank shocked the squad, breaking them and setting my bikes free and then used potms to shoot the big cannon (didn't find anything on tank shock preventing you from shooting afterwards, don't know if we misread it) killing a bunch from another juicy target

• 1 month later...

Had another game earlier today. It was 1750pts and I was facing 30k Death Guard. My list was the following:

Fist of Medusa Strike Force

Battle Demi Co

Captain - Cataphractii armour, Combi-melta, Chainfist, auspex. Goes with the dev pod

Dread- Assault Cannon, Pod

Bike Squad - 2 Gravguns

Dev Squad - 3 MM, Armorium cherub, Combi-melta (only have 3 MM built). Pod

Tac squad - Lascannon

Tac squad - Meltagun, combi-melta, Pod

Tac squad - Flamer, Razorback w. TL Lascannon

Aux

Ironclad dread - Dual Heavyflamer. Rides with the Storm Raven

Cad

Librarian - Lvl2, Force Axe, Auspex. Goes with the cents

Scouts - Sniper rifles

Tac Squad

Cent Devs - Grav cannons

Drop Pod

Storm Raven

I wanted to try units I don't use that often (Stormraven, Cents, Catacaptain) and was aiming for a not-so-competative list since I haven't lost yet at this new club I'm playing at.... Anyways he was playing:

3 Deathshroud in a Phobos LR

5 Grave Wardens

5 Autocannon heavies

5 Lascannon heavies

10 Tacticals

10 Tacticals in a rhino

1 Sicaran battle tank

Mission was Crusade and he deployed first, negating any drop pod alpha strikes and let me go first.

I chickened out and left my devs and cents in reserves. I squeezed my meltacide pod in a risky position but managed to stay on the table. Only thing to happen first turn was 2 hull points and an Immobilised result for the Sicaran (If I had remembered my tactical doctrine it would probably have been gone). The next couple of turns he begins to decimate my army as my remaining pods and Stormraven carrying the Ironclad refuses to come in play. Beginning of turn 3 about the only thing I have managed to accomplish is putting both the Phobos and Sicaran to 1 remaining hull point each. Enter the Storm Raven! With good placement it manages to wreck both tanks, MM killing the Phobos and lascannon finishing off the Sicaran. The Cents also arrives to decimate his Deathshroud. Next turn, the Stormraven drops off the Ironclad to wipe out his Grave Wardens. This is my turn four and my opponent rigthly concedes.

It was a fun game with a lot of fun moments and dice rolling. Artificer armor on his sergeants tanked shots all day long smile.png and his lack of ATSKNF proved to be a big disadvantage for him as his rolls for leadership.

Regarding the Fist of Medusa Strike Force:

I didn't build the list to take advantage of any of the benefits really, would probably been better going with a Gladius. Especially throwing a CAD in the mix made it hard to keep track on which units had 6+ and which had 5+ fnp. Not that it mattered very much because remebering fnp is probably my biggest weakness. I'm really having a hard time finding a FoM force without Smashfather with cmd squad worth it over a Gladius

Well I don't really use the ATF for its capabilities but more as a cheap way to enable the Fist of Medusa benefits for my chapter master with cmd squad. The vindicators can be stars when they manage to stay intact for a couple of turns but since I mostly face necrons that doesn't happen very often

One funny thing that happened in the last game though was my opponent bubble wrapped my cmd squad on bikes disabling me from moving and charging a better target so I tank shocked the squad, breaking them and setting my bikes free and then used potms to shoot the big cannon (didn't find anything on tank shock preventing you from shooting afterwards, don't know if we misread it) killing a bunch from another juicy target

Just found this thread, thanks for sharing!

If you use the ATF as a cheap core, why don't you just take stock Preds for that, or even Whirlwinds? Just curious, I only have a Rhino and a Razorback atm, but am looking to expand.

Just found this thread, thanks for sharing!

If you use the ATF as a cheap core, why don't you just take stock Preds for that, or even Whirlwinds? Just curious, I only have a Rhino and a Razorback atm, but am looking to expand.

Good points. Actually the primary reason is I only have those models :) . I wouldn't be using stock preds though even if I had them because I would still want the units to bring something to the table. Whirlwinds on the other hand would probably be a good choice.

Even with Vindicators, as I run it, it is pretty cheap and present a much bigger threat/point than going with the cheapest option imo.

To summarize: If I'm forced to take a tax I still want it to bring something even if it will cost more points

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, time for another short batrep using the FoM.

Game was 1850 vs Tau. I expected him to bring lots of interceptor, riptides and a stormsurge. I didn't tailor my list except I opted for no Drop Pods. So I took the following:

CAD

+ HQ +

Librarian [Mastery Level 2]
Power Armour [Auspex, Bolt Pistol, Force Axe]

+ Troops +

Scout Squad [4x Scouts, 4x Sniper Rifle]
Scout Sergeant [bolt Pistol, Sniper Rifle]

Tactical Squad [Flamer, 4x Space Marines]
Rhino [storm Bolter]
Space Marine Sergeant [bolt Pistol, Boltgun]

+ Heavy Support +

Centurion Devastator Squad
Centurion [Grav-cannon and Grav-amp, Hurricane Bolter]
Centurion [Grav-cannon and Grav-amp, Hurricane Bolter]
Centurion Sergeant [Grav-cannon and Grav-amp, Hurricane Bolter]
Land Raider Crusader [Twin-linked Assault Cannon, Two Hurricane Bolters]

Relic Sicaran Battle Tank [Hull-mounted Heavy Bolter, Turret-mounted Twin-linked Accelerator Autocannon]

Space Marine Quad Mortar Support Battery
Space Marine Quad Mortar Support Battery [Quad Mortar]
Space Marine Quad Mortar Support Battery [Quad Mortar]

FoM Detachment

'Armoured Task Force
Predators
Predator [Autocannon, Heavy Bolters]
Techmarine [bolt Pistol, Power Axe, Servo-arm]
Thunderfire Cannons
Thunderfire Cannon [Thunderfire Cannon]
Techmarine Gunner [bolt Pistol]
Servo-harness [Flamer, Plasma Cutter, 2x Servo-arm]
Vindicators
Vindicator [Demolisher Cannon, Dozer Blade]
Vindicators
Vindicator [Demolisher Cannon, Dozer Blade]

'Raptor Wing *
Land Speeders
Land Speeder [Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolter]
Land Speeder [Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolter]
Stormtalon Gunship [skyhammer Missle Launcher, Twin-linked Assault Cannon]
Stormtalon Gunship [skyhammer Missle Launcher, Twin-linked Assault Cannon]

Plan was to use the Land Raider as protection for my dev cents with librarian first turn so I could get them into range of his Stormsurge. I also brought three artillery units to try to keep his drones in check so my bigger guns could concentrate on better targets.

His list was a hunter contingent with a hunter cadre, aux drone unit and the drone formation from Montka. The cadre consisted of 3 unit of Fire Warriors, 1 Riptide, 1 Stormsurge, 2 Missile Broadsides and a 6man unit crisis suits deepstriking without scatter with his buffmander.

He rolls to deploy first, and both our deployments are seen below. He has his Stormsurge hidden to the right and broadsides to the left. Mission is Contact Lost. I roll my warlord trait that gets me reroll 1's in shooting and go with Telepathy, getting invis and shrouded.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn18/mperssonbmmseifer/20160710_170042_resized_zpsdbra4vbc.jpg

He goes first and lights up a few of my tanks but only manages to destroy my far left vindicator and put 2 hullpoints with a D-missile on the landraider. My T1 I advance with most my army, getting my disembarked gravcents within range of his 'Surge. They hit and wound with all their shots and he fails the majority of his 4+ invuls and the 'Surge bites the dust.

T2 he deepstrikes his crisis+commander right on top of my 'centstar'. Thanks to invis he only gets one markerlight on me and only manages to do 1 wound with all his plasma rifles. The splitfiring fusion guns wrecks my Land Raider.

My T2 i decimate his crisis unit and spread out to control the table. With his heavy hitting units gone and without much chance to grab objectives he concedes on his T3.

Didn't use any of the benefits from the detachment really and I could just as well included stand alone formations. I wanted to have alot of AV13+ vehicles to deny his missile systems any targets which worked really well this game

Yeah, statistically they should not kill him outright, but the dice was smiling my way. I got 12 out of 15 hits, the misses where 1's so I could re-roll them with my warlord trait (the libby was my warlord). I got 12 out of 15 wounds which the grav amps turned into all successes. He failed like 12 out of 15 4+ invuls and then the fnp's wasnt enough to save him. I actually felt guilty

So, I'm having a 1750pt game tomorrow vs Eldar I think. 

I'm going to try some new stuff that I don't usually run, so here is the list I'm planning on running. Unfortunately no FoM but it uses the Skyhammer aux:

CAD

Libby - ml2, force axe

assault terminators x5 - hammers and shields in a

Land Raider Crusader

Scouts x5 - snipers, camo cloaks

tactical x5 - Rhino, flamer

dev cent squad x3 - grav cannons

quad mortar

drop pod

skyhammer

10 devs - 2gravcannons, 2multimelta, drop pod

10 devs - 2 lascannons, drop pod

5 assault marines - 2 flamers

5 assault marines - power fist

Anyways, this is the first time I'm running the SAF, and don't mind the weird heavy weapons choices. It's just that those are the only devastator models I have assembled and I want to go wysiwyg.

Also giving the good ol' terminators their 15sec of fame. If I get to go first there will hopefully be a decent enough chance that the land raider can reach the enemy lines with the distraction of 7 units dropping in their deployment zone

So, I'm having a 1750pt game tomorrow vs Eldar I think. 

I'm going to try some new stuff that I don't usually run, so here is the list I'm planning on running. Unfortunately no FoM but it uses the Skyhammer aux:

CAD

Libby - ml2, force axe

assault terminators x5 - hammers and shields in a

Land Raider Crusader

Scouts x5 - snipers, camo cloaks

tactical x5 - Rhino, flamer

dev cent squad x3 - grav cannons

quad mortar

drop pod

skyhammer

10 devs - 2gravcannons, 2multimelta, drop pod

10 devs - 2 lascannons, drop pod

5 assault marines - 2 flamers

5 assault marines - power fist

Anyways, this is the first time I'm running the SAF, and don't mind the weird heavy weapons choices. It's just that those are the only devastator models I have assembled and I want to go wysiwyg.

Also giving the good ol' terminators their 15sec of fame. If I get to go first there will hopefully be a decent enough chance that the land raider can reach the enemy lines with the distraction of 7 units dropping in their deployment zone

Definetly looks tasty, good luck burning up some space elves.  Although, i'm unfamiliar with the quad mortar, what does that look like, stat wise?

Archived