The Aquila during and pre heresy

Hellrender

Due to a certain stronghold I'm trying to get ready for the ETL, I started to wonder about the use of the Aquila symbol as decoration.

In what period did the Aquila start to get used as decoration on buildings, tanks and armour and such? As far I read the emperors children considered wearing the imperial eagle a singular privilege that only they had earned. When did other people/things start using it?

As far I read the emperors children considered wearing the imperial eagle a singular privilege that only they had earned.

That got retconned. The EC were the only one allowed to wear the Palatine Aquila, the personal symbol of the Emperor. 

Pre-Heresy it was the symbol of Big E and only the EC were given the honour (edit: the Palatine Aquila). Other Legions/Chapters started using the Imperial Aquila after the Heresy to honour those who remained loyal. It was widely used ever since.

No, of course not! It's only the Palatine Aquila that you need to worry about and even then I don't think anyone will mind in the slightest. The macro cannon housing as well as aquilas on buildings and vehicles etc. are perfectly acceptable.

Palatine Aquila (wings raised, both heads blind / no detail, twin lightining in grip) - symbol of the Emperor himself, only EC permitted to wear it

http://i.imgur.com/ZqgPrpa.jpg

Imperial Aquila - (wings straight to the sides, one head blind, the other sees) - symbol of the Imperium, loyalist symbol post-Heresy

http://i.imgur.com/BA115lm.jpg

Thank you really much for that, I've been conflicted about this for a long time, and I never found out how to distinguish both aquilas. I must say that the changes are kinda subtle, specially considering that it might be difficult to sculpt those details in infantry models

Thank you really much for that, I've been conflicted about this for a long time, and I never found out how to distinguish both aquilas. I must say that the changes are kinda subtle, specially considering that it might be difficult to sculpt those details in infantry models

FW sells transfers and etched brass for EC's :)

Palatine Aquila (wings raised, both heads blind / no detail, twin lightining in grip) - symbol of the Emperor himself, only EC permitted to wear it

Imperial Aquila - (wings straight to the sides, one head blind, the other sees) - symbol of the Imperium, loyalist symbol post-Heresy

A few problems with that:

1. None of the Forge World depictions of the Emperor's Children - be it art, model, transfer or brass etc - includes the lightning. 

2. Many of them do actually include eyes. 

3. The Forge World 30k EC Rhino and Land Raider door sets have a full Aquila with straight wings. 

As far as I know there is no canon source that actually says what (if any) the actual differences between Palatine Aquila and a 'normal' Aquila are. 

FW sells transfers and etched brass for EC's smile.png

True that, but actually I was more worried about the other way around, putting aquilas in non-EC when they "shouldn't" wear it. Regarding EC (which might be a future project rolleyes.gif), I guess with the legion-specific stuff plus what you've pointed should be more than enough to assort your models with fancy aquilas.

Vodunius is raising an interesting point here,and I've checked on FW and certainly most of their aquilas do not adjust totally to those differences. Guess the best way to go is to limit the aquilas to officers and dreads unless you're EC, if so feel free to stuff them everywhere laugh.png

A few problems with that:

1. None of the Forge World depictions of the Emperor's Children - be it art, model, transfer or brass etc - includes the lightning. 

2. Many of them do actually include eyes. 

3. The Forge World 30k EC Rhino and Land Raider door sets have a full Aquila with straight wings. 

As far as I know there is no canon source that actually says what (if any) the actual differences between Palatine Aquila and a 'normal' Aquila are. 

Incorrect. Differences are as indicated above. Models and illustrations use Palatine where correct, despite SOME of the dinstinguishing features being absent (sometimes bolts, e.g.).

Wings risen, same rhomboid body block part absent in Imperial.

[img=http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammer40k/images/9/96/EC_Palatine_Blades_Mk_IV.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20121223205510\

What do you mean same rhomboid body block? You never mentioned a rhomboid body block, presumably because it's not present in the first picture you posted.. Which by the way is just a slight tweaking of an old aquila GW used to use as in 40k supplements: http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r155/khromash/aquila_zpsaehjtsij.png

Well, go figure, GW redesigns stuff and rolls back past fluff! Who'd have thought they had different designs and started calling them something else down the line? ;)

What you linked is now (since we have the HH books at the very least) considered the Palatine Aquila. This hasn't been in the 40k codices since.. 3ed? 4ed? Something like that. The 2nd I posted is now THE 40k Imperial Aquila. This raised wings design has been relegated to the past.

Archived