The Blood Revenants (WIP): 1k list help

Damon Nightman

I've been building a blood angels army ever since the new codex dropped (well technically since 5th edition) and finally have a 1000pt army ready to go.

I originally was going to just paint them as blood angels, but i have decided to make my own chapter instead. I have a rough idea of their history, but not sure if it would fully make sense or work with the fluff. I also need help nailing down a final paint scheme.

History:

My rough idea for the background is that shortly after the Horus Hersey (probably during the Great Scouring), while the blood angels and flesh teares were hopefully at a bit more than the 1000 man limit imposed, there were some demons/traitor marines taking over some planet somewhere. The BAs and FTs each sent out a task force of around 500 marines with support, totaling around 1000 (hopefully reasonable) to help. The BA and FT win but get sucked into the warp somehow. They are trapped there for what seems like a 100 years or so or whatever is reasonable. Maybe around 500 or so survive and pop out of the warp hundreds or thousands of years later in real time.

By this time the blood angels and flesh tearers are surprisingly at full strength and reject their brothers from rejoining the chapter. Instead they are told by the HLoT to form their own chapter and go on a crusade to prove they are not tainted by chaos. The newly formed chapter willfully goes on the crusade, though some feel betrayed by their parent chapters, for they feel as though they were already on crusade while in the warp. They do not trust the HLot and are skeptical of how the Imperium is run now. Some of them still remember a time when the Emperor was not ruled as a God and what not.

Despite their feelings about this new Imperium, they believe the Emperor and Sanguinius would still want them to obey and destroy the enemies of mankind. In secret they will always do what they believe the emperor would want, but they do their best to make it look like they are staunch supporters of the new system and HLoT. The HLot are quite skeptical themselves. After many years of crusading, they have won some approval with the HLoT. They still say they are crusading, but may have their own hidden agenda instead...(no idea where i'm going with this yet)

They are now recovering lost blood angels relics and "safeguarding" them. They even came across a BA Space hulk infested by nids or another xenos, if that's a thing, and use it as their home base while crusading.

Very brutal tactics, but try to avoid unnecessary causalities when possible and try to avoid succumbing to the thirst and killing the guard and sisters as much as possible. They do have a large amount of DC, but also never execute the DC and put them in stasis to fight another battle. They see the DC as a tool that would be silly not to use as effectively as possible. It is unknown how many DC they have locked away in stasis, but some believe it to be hundreds if not more....

Possible addition: While in the warp they were having trouble holding off the red thirst, so a lot of them accepted the black rage as an alternative. They thought (and still somewhat believe) the thirst is more of a curse than the rage. They believe both are to be used as a tool to fight the heretics, but the rage is a stronger tool. After reading the Lemartes short story, i like the idea he brings up of the rage canceling out the thirst once they fall too it. I like how he can control the rage a bit and want to integrate it into my chapter, but i don't want to use it if it makes him less special. The rage i guess was supposedly pretty new to them since it wasn't too much time since the heresy (comparatively since the revenants were in the warp). Maybe because of this they seem to be able to recognize their own brothers and follow orders better while in the DC, but still are crazy and try to wreck everything else. I'll work on this whole idea

They also don't care much about adhering to the codex and when get built back up will probably have more than 1000 or go by the guise of two different chapters that always work together if i can find a way to make that work, really just opening up the opportunity to make another BA successor down the road (Mainly just want to try a different paint scheme down the road). The inquisition does not like them, but the people in the sectors they have saved see them as the greatest of heroes.

Name:

I really liked Angels Revenant until i noticed it was already a chapter that has nothing to do with angels!

Winner: Blood Revenants

Top choices:
The Revenant Angels
Daemon-banes (with or without the - )

Other considerations:
Angels of Retribution
Retributors
Angels of Desolation
Desolation Angels

Color Scheme:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/sm.php?b62c=@i8GHY_i8GHE.heD3Uhfbmo.hdfu0hdfu0h4GXEhgPR1hfbighlFS3@iakk7@_hg0DMiakk7@@@_heD3T______i6urq_i7jse_@hgPVb_@@@hg0DM_@@hIZJghsHLv@_@h4GXEhiLB7hho9w@@@...hdfu0hnJSKiakk7&

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/sm.php?b62c=@i8GHY_i8GHE.heD3Uhfbmo.hdfu0hdfu0h4GXEhgPR1hfbighlFS3@iakk7@_hg0DMiakk7@@@_heD3T______i8GPW_i8GPWi8GPW@i8GmF_@hfbig@i8GmF_@hdNMvhIZJghsHLv@_@h4GXEhiLB7hho9w@@@...hdfu0hnJSKiakk7&

Leaning more towards 2 with only the black fists. The right knee pad will have a marking like the blood angels do, that's why it's black.

Not sure if i like the black fists or not, or if the elbows should be black. I want them to look like a mix between FT and BA. i really like the FT color scheme but want a brighter red and to make my own fluff, so i want to avoid black shoulders on my regular guys, since they would look to much like FT.

Chapter Badge:

White Skull with blood drop on head

Skull 1

White skull with blood drop under eye for captains/priests/Chapter Master

Skull 2

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you to everyone who has already helped with the names and the background. Really appreciate it! Edited by Brother Lemartes

First off, grats on the design! That color scheme looks 120% excellent, IMO black fists or not. Secondly I like the term "Retribution" and what it means. Or something along that line. What about Sanguine Justicars? Justicars of Blood? Knights of the Blood? ....

I also like your background/fluff. Heroes that are not welcome by the Status Quo that is. Also I would write into their fluff that somehow all of that time in the warp had some affect on their Red Thirst and Black Rage? How it affected it, I don't know? But it would be cool to have a little something thrown in there to add uniqueness and depth to the chapter.

A Sanguinary guard in an all white scheme, sorta like a regular Codex Space Marines Apothecary?

Good luck on this, I really like what you have so far.

Angels of Retribution

Thank you, i really appreciate the feedback!

I Want to avoid blood being in names as much as possible, becasue i really dislike the vampire thing. Probably kinda weird for a BA player. I checked Angels of retribution and its a chapter already that got destroyed at some point haha. So many names are already taken, it's rough. 

I was definitely thinking about white Sanguinary guard and have just my captains in all gold. Veterans and sergeants would have gold helmets and maybe gold shoulder pads for the veterans. 

Also, for chapter symbol i was thinking a skull with a blood drop on the head, or a skull with a blood drop under one of the eyes, but i think that might be harder to pull off. I have a ton of old transfer sheets with a lot of skulls on them, so that's why the skull chapter icon really. Other option would be some variation of a blood drop on a sword, specifically a BA transfer on a DA transfer sheet if that would even work.

Trying to think of something unique for DC like white facemask portion of the helmet or just a all white helmet. I want them to still be mainly black though.

Edited by Brother Lemartes

Make the gold something a chapter brother aspires to, such as the rank of captain, veteran in the 1st company, or sergeant status?  .... I would do the black helm with a gold stripe for sergeants. All gold helms for veterans, and yes I like the idea of gold artificer armor for your captains.

Maybe they did actually pretty well fighting in the warp over those years and when they were able to get out they brought with them a haul of recovered Astartes armor and weapons reclaimed from traitors, who originally stole it before fleeing to the warp? Or maybe they recovered some equipment from Mars that long ago Imperial Fist's Captains Sigismund and Cambria-Dias didn't manage to retrieve?

Not only does the Inquisition hate them, but the chapter left the warp well stocked and supplied. 

Would give me and excuse to get some forge world/30k stuff...

Thanks for all the ideas, really good stuff. I need to look up more about what happened with Mars. Need an excuse to add an admech army eventually maybe some old school ad mech or mechanicum is it?

If it's the name of a Chapter that's been destroyed, that means it's up for grabs. Seriously, Forge World raised the idea in their Badab War books, mentioning that the Fire Angels that took part in the Badab War have entirely different iconography than earlier records of a Chapter by that name, due to either an error in record keeping creating two chapters with the same name, or them picking up the name of a now-extinct Chapter. It's a big galaxy, after all.

If it's the name of a Chapter that's been destroyed, that means it's up for grabs. Seriously, Forge World raised the idea in their Badab War books, mentioning that the Fire Angels that took part in the Badab War have entirely different iconography than earlier records of a Chapter by that name, due to either an error in record keeping creating two chapters with the same name, or them picking up the name of a now-extinct Chapter. It's a big galaxy, after all.

Thanks for mentioning that! Definitely considering Angels of Retribution now! Hopefully the Angels Revenant chapter will die off soon and i can use my original idea haha. 

You could always implement the destruction of the previous chapter into your fluff too :D

You could always have a lot of inquisitorial contact or assassins end up on the same battlefield seemingly watching you.

The old chapter don't have a confirmed geneseed so you could blag they we're BA who went crazy and the assassin temples had to kill them off, your new chapter is a reusing of the name and a "purer" batch of geneseed to see if the results are the same ;)

Just my 2 imperial credits.

P.s. Like the colourscheme!

Thanks charlo! I really like the idea of playing off the old chapters history generally speaking, but for my guys I want them to be original and not piggy back, so to speak, off the old chapters small amount of fluff. I really appreciate the feedback though!

I wasn't sure about the color scheme, so thanks for the feedback on that as well!

Does a skull with a blood drop on the head or under an eye sound good for symbol? Or is using skulls kinda gimicky at this point in 40k?

Btw, charlo, I've been lurking on this board for close to a year before posting and really like your chapters colors and history. I'm using a similar paint scheme that you use for my vehicles. I like the idea of my transports being mostly black and then the red tide flows out as the marines disembark since they are mostly red.

Thank you! Really appreciate the feedback! I was hoping all that would "make sense" in the fluff with being trapped in the warp from right after the Hersey. Really just an excuse to use older armor types like B@C stuff.

For the name, how does the Retributors or The Angels Retributors sound? I like the retribution idea by Helias (thanks again!) but want to find something more unique/ original I guess..

Thank you! Really appreciate the feedback! I was hoping all that would "make sense" in the fluff with being trapped in the warp from right after the Hersey. Really just an excuse to use older armor types like B@C stuff.

Technically you don't really need that excuse. Many chapters have a couple of suits of mk4 lying around. Some - like the Red Scorpions - are able to field their marines almost entirely in mk4. That said, it's still a cool story, and plays into the fast and loose formation of chapters shortly after the Heresy.

Btw, charlo, I've been lurking on this board for close to a year before posting and really like your chapters colors and history. I'm using a similar paint scheme that you use for my vehicles. I like the idea of my transports being mostly black and then the red tide flows out as the marines disembark since they are mostly red.

D'aww shucks :D danke brother.

And thank 12 year old me for the scheme, no idea how he did it. History is all present me. I just took a small part of the fluff (Sanguinius' prophetic visions) and amplified it into fluff :)

D'aww shucks :biggrin.: danke brother.

And thank 12 year old me for the scheme, no idea how he did it. History is all present me. I just took a small part of the fluff (Sanguinius' prophetic visions) and amplified it into fluff :smile.:

Thank you for the inspiration! I am even using a similar chapter icon but instead of the deathmask it would just be a skull. Can't decide if I want to do the blood/tear drop under the eye or blood drop just on the head... Any suggestions?

Also, anyone think it would look weird or cool if my vehicles were mostly black while the marines are mostly red?

I'm a fan of the reversed coloured vehicles. If anything I'm a fan of mixing up marking across each vehicle (just never been bothered myself to do it) so each is unique.

Marine vehicles feel like they'd all have a personality and be a part of the chapter's brotherhood, whereas a Leman Russ is just another cog in the Imperial Guard Machine.

As for a chapter badge, I can't decide myself either! But really anything is fair game.

I don't think a skull and blood drop fit's your name though, you need something that screams "Retribution".

Perhaps some sort of fire and a blood drop?

Yeah, the skull/ blood drop symbol comes from old names I was thinking of like revenant or specter that kinda emphasizes they were "lost" and now returned like phantom or ghost coming back from the warp and I felt like the skull worked with that "theme".

Honestly I'm probably more set on the skull/blood drop badge then the retribution name. Mainly because I have so many transfer sheets with skulls and blood drops that I want to put to use lol

Does anyone think it would be too ridiculous or crazy or heretical for my chapter to suffer from a mutation of having actual wings like sanguinius from their long exposure to the warp?

Not like everyone, but a sometimes a seemingly random marine will grow wings somehow...

I think I prefer the black gloves and elbows. It looks less uniform. Both are really nice looking, though!

Also, as for wings, I was thinking the same thing. I don't think it's a bad idea, especially if you keep them a bit smaller so it doesn't change the effective model size.

Edited by Tyriks

Does anyone think it would be too ridiculous or crazy or heretical for my chapter to suffer from a mutation of having actual wings like sanguinius from their long exposure to the warp?

Not like everyone, but a sometimes a seemingly random marine will grow wings somehow...

There is a story about a marine that is born with wings and he basically claims to be/ is heralded as the reincarnation of Sanguinius. It splits the chapter in half and turns out it was Tzeench being all manipulative and such.

Personally - I'd avoid mutation, then again look at the black dragons? They get by.

My opinion on that is that the Blood Angels and their successors are already under a particularly close eye from several sectors of the Inquisition thanks to The Flaw, so any more obvious wide spread mutations would just end up being proof of warp taint.

BUT that's just my opinion. If you want to, go for it!