The Blood Revenants (WIP): 1k list help

Damon Nightman

Working on some Vanguard/Company Vets with storm shields. Would anyone be so kind as to provide some input on how bad this green stuff work is for attaching the "storm shields" to the arms or if you think it will look okay once painted?

SmartSelect 20191127 152929 Gallery

SmartSelect 20191127 152954 Gallery

SmartSelect 20191127 153010 Gallery

SmartSelect 20191127 153029 Gallery

SmartSelect 20191127 153104 Gallery

I feel like it won't be obvious on the melta guy, but for the ones just holding a sword or something... I'm not sure. I was trying to making it look like their hands and like forearms are kinda slotting into the shield if that makes sense... 

I think once it's painted it should look good!

I don't know how Greenstuff works so ignore this idea if it indeed won't work, but maybe you could sculpt the hand holes to look similar to the "toed" looking boots that some of the Sanguinary Guard legs have?

Edited by Slothysaur

If you sculpt it a bit so it looks like actual armour plates or such instead of just a blob it might look okay. Still a bit weird considering that Marines can just maglock stuff to their armour and that a hand in power armour behind a shield is probably the last thing that needs additional protection lol

So those left arms/hands on the Mk3 are normally for holding the bolters and the hands were super wide open. I cut around the elbow to reposition the arm the right way. I wish I could do the normal mag lock way, but the hands are butchered under the green stuff. I couldn't figure out a good/easy way to resculpt the hands to make it look like the pic majkhel shared though. Ideally I'd do it like you are showing, majkhel, but the hands aren't as easy to chop off and replace on the Mk3 kit imo at least with the extra like armor covering the back of the hands.

I think I need to try to redo it so it doesn't just look like a blob. My green stuff skills just need more work it seems. Would the green stuff look better with sharper edges maybe?

Thanks for the input everyone!

Edited by Brother Lemartes

Yup, just the wrist. The way I did it with these guys, I'd have to resculpt the fingers to be holding onto the like grip for the shield and it just felt easier at the time to try to cover the entire arm instead lol. The rescuplted fingers would most likely be a lot less noticeable though.. hmmm

But maybe there is an easier way to replace the hands on these guys and I can just cutoff the extra wrist armor since the shield will cover it anyway.

I'll have to do some messing around tonight. Thanks Xenith!

Thanks again for the help everyone! I just removed the green stuff and chopped the hands off. Swapping the hands isn't really as bad as I thought on the mk3 armor. I think they are looking a lot better now!

Yea man, any time I need to do stuff like this I just steal a chainsword hand or similar. Looking forward to seeing the results! I have a bunch of chaos warrior shields I need to file down into storm shields and am always looking for ideas. 

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It has been far too long.... especially when you consider the last thing I said was I'll return soon! lol

Anyway, now I need some help vs black templars and just help in general really. Haven't kept up with 9th edition too much. Choosing Secondary Objectives, Relics, and which stratagems to use when are all proving to be tough.

Anyway, here is the list I ran last game:

• HQ
    • Captain

Selections: Combi-plasma, Jump Pack, Lightning Claw

• (Warlord) Sanguinary Priest

Selections: Astartes Chainsword, Bolt pistol, Jump Pack (Teeth of Tera, Artificer Armor w/ warlord trait, used strat for 2nd warlord trait Foresight)

• Troops
    • Tactical Squad
      • 3x Space Marine

Selections: 3x Bolt pistol, 3x Boltgun, 3x Frag & Krak grenades

• Space Marine Sergeant

Selections: Astartes Chainsword, Storm bolter

• Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon

Selections: Heavy bolter

• Tactical Squad
      • 3x Space Marine

Selections: 3x Bolt pistol, 3x Boltgun, 3x Frag & Krak grenades

• Space Marine Sergeant

Selections: Astartes Chainsword, Inferno pistol

• Space Marine w/Special Weapon

Selections: Meltagun

• Elites
    • Sanguinary Guard
      • Sanguinary Guard

Selections: Angelus boltgun, Encarmine sword

• Sanguinary Guard

• Sanguinary Guard

• Sanguinary Guard

Selections: Encarmine axe, Inferno pistol

• Sanguinary Guard

Selections: Encarmine axe, Inferno pistol

• Sanguinary Guard

• Sanguinary Guard

• Vanguard Veteran Squad

Selections: Jump Pack

• Vanguard Veteran

Selections: 2x Plasma pistol

• Vanguard Veteran

• Vanguard Veteran

• Vanguard Veteran

• Vanguard Veteran Sergeant

• Heavy Support
    • Baal Predator

Selections: Baal Flamestorm cannon

• Two heavy flamers

Selections: 2x Heavy flamer 

I've been getting beat up by black templars. His redemptor dread and 5+ invuln are scary. Really everything he has is scary. The can't wound on a 2 sucks a bit too with our chapter tactic. I'm limited to firstborn. I don't have attack bikes either...

Should I drop the tacticals all together and run a vanguard detachment with more elites? I think I should at least take out one of the tac squads since you only need 1 troop for a patrol. Should I drop the plasma vanguard vets and plasma capt? They seem okay even with the short range at 1k board size. Would adding a lascannon predator be a good idea? What Strat should I prioritize and what Secondaries should I play towards? 

Thanks everyone!

First, I don't know how I did not comment that splendid blender-legionnaire you've made - he's AWESOME!

About the list:
I have to say I have't played against new BT, so I will only theorise.
How fast was his army overall? Did he had any JPs or reinforcements?

Against those ++5 and limitations on our +1 to wound, I would seriously consider switching from BA to Successors with Whirlwind of Rage and perhaps Artificers (one to-hit re-roll per phase for a unit). Or the 'fall back and charge' trait. You will get more mileage out of multiplied hits.

Your list seems like 'all-in your face asap' list, but in current edition it's all about timing and footwork for BA. Especially if our opponent is no slouch in CC either. You will need to choose your fights where the odds are stacked for you.
You need a general plan of how you want your army to work and move around and then focus on maximising your strengths. 
For example, if the main muscle in your army are to be SG, you will a need to ensure their survival and provide them with a source or buffs. If there are any areas they can't perform in, then try to add some units that can fill the niche without taking away from the main goal (being reliance on SG). 

You seriously lack Anti-tank punch - your CC is relatively low-strength and mostly D2, which is a hindrance against dreads. So either swamp it with number of attacks or you deliver some extra muscle.

You have some fun units in the list (gun-slinger vanvets, FlameBaal). Perhaps you might consider ditching them for something more efficient? MM-attack bikes? 

Tacticals - I would keep them cheap, hidden and scoring objectives if possible. Minimal upgrades, more like just-in-case deterrents in nature.
I would consider multiplying the number of SG units. Remember that more than 5 will trigger Blast rule on Redemptor's plasma.

Not a fan of the plasma on the Captain, but perhaps it's just my personal horrific experiences with Mephiston. What is his role in your list?

Thank you!

I don't have any attack bikes unfortunately... seems like something I might want to look in to though. I have a lascannon predator that might fill the anti tank role.

The captain goes with the plasma gunslinger vets to give them the reroll 1s on overcharging. The combi plasma is magnetized, so maybe i should switch that up a bit. The vets usually can kill a 5man squad no problem when they overcharge. I could use a chaplain or just ditch the capt and the plasma vets entirely..

Ah, OK, I missed the fact that pistols also have S8 when overcharging. So they can be used for AT role as well.
Do you use them arriving from reserves? That potentially gives you +1 to hit from the strat, but also means you can be screened and shot at (Auspex Scan) as you need to arrive within 12" from the target.

Lascanons are swingy and cost a lot plus Annihilator is not CORE so you cannot provide any re-rolls for it. Looking at firsborn, I think Devastators come out cheaper and can be given re-rolls.

Can you tell what your opponent has? 

As for the secondaries. Oath of Moment is always nice and pretty easy to score something along the way - practically guaranteed to get 4-5 points for not loosing a morale check and any vehicle and character you manage to kill will add up to that. If you also manage to get a unit into the centre of the board that's additional points. 
If you forsee your troops to be relatively unmolested along the game any kind of action-on-objective based Secondary will also work (Raise the Banners, Retrieve Octarius Data, often Mission-specific Secondaries give something similar). 
Engage on All Fronts is nice for a mobile army too. In theory it should be even easier on smaller boards.

I started the plasma vets in reserve the first game and used the +1 to hit strat. I can still die to rolling 1s while overcharging with that strat right.

Devastators seem great but id have to build them unfortunately. Man i thought i had a well rounded collection with plenty of options but not so much now lol

I also hate list tailoring but i want to give my buddy a good fight at least.

He takes a crusader squad, 2 assault intercessor squads, bladeguard, redemptor with plasma and he took a chaplain on bike + helbretch last game. He bought all the new templar stuff so can whip out any pf the HQs of he wants. He gives the crusader squad 5+ FNP making them even harder to take out.

I had my entire army on one board side vs helbretch, bike chappy, 1 assault intercessor squad (5 man), and 10 man crusader squad. I still lost that engagement with helbretch and 4 crusaders still alive and my priest alone suurounded. I'm blown away at how good this new stuff is. Helbretch is 3D and 7 attacks or 14 attacks at 1D. Also his melta gets the extra damage even at full range. The chappy can only take 1D per wound too. I have no idea what I'm talking about really but the power creep seems real!

Woah! To be honest your buddy took almost all the fun toys he could squeeze in that point limit ;) In general Primaris Chappy on the bike is the latest kind of black in any SM list. Redemptors are overall great, Assault Intercessors and Bladeguard (both solid) love smaller boards as they have easier time reaching combat. Helbrecht is all pumped-up too. It's a nasty list - very efficient and with plenty of bodies for a SM army

The main advantage you have is access to jump packs as it means you are more likely to get the charges off. He has the staying power to receive them, that's true. But if he is charging, you loose practically all advantages. 
Another thing is that he will come to you, so you can wait to time your own assaults while weathering 'only' the Redemptor's shooting

How do you feel about Captain on bike? This unit can be made into a pretty nasty Smash Captain build. I would probably make him the Warlord and stack additional WT on him (Imperium's Sword and Foresight maybe?) plus some nice relic. He could be your answer to the Redemptor (or maybe the Chaplain) and provide re-rolls for the plasma VanVets and SG. He should not go alone anywhere though especially early in the game.

Speaking of VanVets how do you feel about the Storm Shields & Lightning Claws build? They have improved durability compared to SG, the same number of attacks per model, in-built wound re-roll and don't care for damage reductions. They could at least hold his bike chaplain or even Helbrecht (although I feel I would simply try to avoid him if possible - he only delivers a single melta shot per turn)

Tacticals have to stay as they are your only troop choice, but I would keep them as cheap as possible. In terms of extra weapons... I'm torn. If you feel they can stay put and be relatively safe, perhaps a HB to plink wounds from targets of opportunity. If you want to move them around, I'd go either Flamer or Storm Bolter or Grav. Sergeant can have Chainsword obviously or you could try PF but then probably without the Special Weapon unless you have points left to spare. A tad small number of attacks for me though.

2 MM bikes would go a long way for providing obvious answer to the Redemptor. They are also fast, can grab objectives and are overall hard to ignore as they are not limited to CC range to be a threat. 

SG I would keep in 2 smaller units to disperse threats. A single one should comfortably reduce things like Assault Intercessors below immediate threat level without any support. This would mean that you need to take 2 Patrols to fit the Elites (I assume 2 units of SG and 1 unit of VanVets of any flavour). Swords would be overall better than axes as he does not have Gravis. Inferno pistols only if you have points to spare.

For the second HQ option I'm a bit torn. Sanguinary priest with JP, Chief Apothecary and Selfless Healer is pricey but it provides the much needed Blood Chalice abilities, a small FnP aura and healing. If you consider bringing him for healing, I would definitely try to squeeze Chief Apothecary with Selfless Healer as it's a drastic boost in this field. 
Another option is a cheap Chaplain to buff combat, which would allow for adding more SG or a HB Attack Bike for example (basic JP Chappy is 50pts cheaper than JP Chief Apothecary SP)

An option to consider might be the Whirlwind to mess with opponent's sequence of combat activation. Just mind that apart from this great ability it's damage output is not impressive. Judiciar might be a better choice for such small games, but he is slow. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I have no personal experience with 1k pts games.

If you take the Successors with Whirlwind of Rage instead of the Blood Angels, you would also don't have to worry about the Transhuman strat messing with your wounding rolls.
My overall plan would be to hide, then venture forward only as far as to grab nearest objectives (still hidden if possible) and set myself up for charges. It would be best if you manage to sequence them across turn 2 and 3 so that any usage of Counter-Attack strat is less painful. If he spreads, I would try to jump some isolated units with as much concentrated strength as possible to ensure swift victory. Despite small board, you will have the advantage of mobility.

• 6 months later...

I did it! I've beaten that black templars twice now at 1500pts! The bigger board size really allowed me out maneuver the templars at almost every turn. I love jump packs. 

Sanguinary guard with the AOC change and a priest nearby are insanely good. 

Thanks for the help everyone!