Iron Hands - Autek Mor's Red Talon - 2500 points

Caillum

Title says it all really. I loved the latest story of Autek Mor's rampage across the Warmaster's advancing front, so I've tried to turn it into a viable army list. Planning to do either this or the Ebon Drake force as my next army, so would be keen to get some feedback from the forum.

Iron Hands "Red Talon"

Space Marine Legions

Iron-Father Autek Mor: Rite of War (Orbital Assault); cyber-familiar 240

Master of Signal: artificer armour; power weapon; refractor field; Cyber-familiar 145

10 Tactical Space Marines: Tactical Sergeant (artificer armour; melta bombs); 9 Tactical Space Marines; legion vexilla 175

Drop Pod

10 Tactical Space Marines: Tactical Sergeant (artificer armour; melta bombs); 9 Tactical Space Marines; legion vexilla 175

Drop Pod

9 Tactical Support Marines: Tactical Support Sergeant (artificer armour; remove plasma gun; combi-plasma); 8 Tactical Support Marines; plasma guns 290

Drop Pod

10 Gorgon Terminators: Gorgon Hammerbearer (Cyber-familiar); 9 Gorgon Terminators; 7 × combi-bolters; 8 × power axe; 1 chainfist; 2 × graviton gun 425

Xiphon Pattern Interceptor: ground-tracking auguries 215

Fire Raptor Gunship: Reaper autocannon battery 210

Leviathan Pattern Siege Dreadnought Talon

Leviathan Pattern Siege Dreadnought: 1 Leviathan siege drill; 1 cyclonic melta lance; 2 × volkite caliver; armoured ceramite; phosphex discharger 340

Dreadnought Drop Pod

Deathstorm Drop Pod: Drop Pod Assault 115

Legiones Astartes: Iron Hands

Force Organisation Chart: Age of Darkness

2,500 points

TACTICA

- 5 Drop Pods, so I have 3 of my choice coming in on the 1st turn.

- Mor will join the Gorgon's, Deep Striking in.

- Master of Signal will join the plasma Support Squad, with Mor's WT meaning they hit & wound most things on a re-rollable 2+.

- Xiphon & Fire Raptor are there for fluff/rule of cool (and they are still completely useable).

- the Fragstorm hopefully denies an area to my opponent.

- Leviathan is such a cool unit that I want to use, so focusing it on anti-tank makes sense.

- 4 scoring units, which is pretty solid.

Would like to add 500 points of Agathon Solar Auxilia as an Allied Detachment (with an ADL & comms relay for Reserves), a Thunderhawk as a Lord of War (when/if I get promoted at work) and will add another 500 points of Imperial Fists for Apocalypse games. :)

Looks cool! 

I'd really think about putting some more Nunci voxes in the tac squads to help out those temies Deep striking, that'd be horrible for them to be delayed (or worse!) by a mishap!  at the moment you only have on on the MoS.  Speaking of which, do you really think his Cognis Signum is worth it?  If you drop him & the Deathstorm, you could buy a Kharybdis for the Terminators and have them come down turn 1 & be mobile (disregard the Voxes too)!  I'd also like to see a few more chainfists in there...

Looks like a fun list, just one small problem-you've got no units starting the game on the board, meaning if you lose the roll of for first turn, you lose the game. Bit of an issue if you ever want to bring this list to any sort of competitive play. To deal with that I'd drop maybe a few gorgons for a javelin land speeder or two, since they are small enough to hide fairly well or just jink like crazy so they survive turn one. 

Looks like a fun list, just one small problem-you've got no units starting the game on the board, meaning if you lose the roll of for first turn, you lose the game.

As of Book VI, they've changed that rule to be, "If at the end of the Game Turn..." The Book V update you speak of was unintentional, given it effectively stopped Orbital Assault from ever being playable.

Good point about the Nuncio-vox Da Once & Future Git. Thanks! Will have to work them into the Tactical Squads.

Master of Signal? Yes, he is worth it. I've run the numbers before and he adds a lot. Apart from the obvious +1BS bonus, a cognis-signum also grants Night Vision and an augury scanner, which both help a lot for a Support Squad. I could drop his power axe though, as he's there to survive and boost the squads shooting.

I wanted more chainfists on the Gorgons, but points were getting tight. As for the suggestion of a Kharybdis... I actually considered one, but it's a lot of points to Deep Strike a unit that can already Deep Strike with Orbital Assault. The 1st Turn arrival is good, as is the mobility it affords, and the krak launchers. The model is awesome too. And Deathstorms are nothing special either. Hmmm...

Chapter Heading: Battles in the Age of Darkness Core Missions

Page 283, Victtory Conditions: "If at the end of the Game Turn, unless specified by the mission, a side has no models on the table, their opponent has won."

I don't think both tactical squads need a Nuncio Vox. Usually they will be in the second wave, unless you're delaying the MoS and plasma squad for some reason. The Leviathan costs too many points not to drop early, and the Deathstorm shoots your own guys too so you want it out there before too many of them have deployed.  Most often, you're going for the alpha with the three loaded pods, so they are in the same reserve pool as the terminators and have to show up a turn before to be of help.

I also see problems with deploying such a large unit via unreliable deep strike. You don't have super scary shooting (two glances on a vehicle, sure), and you can't run to spread out. If you don't go for the Kharybdis solution, I think you'd be better served with two 5-man regular Legion Terminator units with combi-weapons and power/chainfists.

Orbital lists are hard. They tend to make it to easy for the enemy to target prioritise and leaving about 1000 points worth if your army to reserve rolls is either going to cost you big time or work out OK. Especially with the change to drop pods disembarking, if you go first you have 20 dudes out in the open and a leviathan, to me that doesn't sound like a lot to churn through in a turn if I had too.

I'm not sure what the answer is but whenever I've looked at podding at around 2500 points, I want 7 so 5 will come down turn 1

So for example

The hq's you have

3×tac squads

2 x 5 man support squads (1 Melta 1 plas)

9 x gorgon in kharybdis

Leviathan

Leaves about 250 for upgrades/flyer or drop a support squad for another levi maybe? Even a cortus dread

Either way this gives you everything down turn 1 bar 2 tac squads that can grab objectives when the come in or add support.

Other options maybe 2 gorgon squads in in anvilus

The Kharybdis has no value for terminators in an orbital strike force really.

I would fetch at least 1 more chainfist in the Gorgons, otherwise a dreadnought could ruin their day. Otherwise, this is pretty clean. Melta on the dread is a solid choice, it's still a S9 ap 1 3 shot weapon.

Kharybdis offers a huge amount..

Guaranteed entrance turn 1

Protection before they can charge

Manoeuvrability due to being a flyer

No possibility of a deep strike mishap

Terminator deep strikes are generally pretty rubbish in my experience

Kharybdis offers a huge amount..

Guaranteed entrance turn 1

Protection before they can charge

Manoeuvrability due to being a flyer

No possibility of a deep strike mishap

I get that, but for the huge price tag, It can still scatter off the table, it can still be shot down (causing everyone to take a S10 hit ap2 hit?)

it's great outside Orbital Strike, just not really worth it when you have bascially the same delivery method for free, 1 turn later.

The kahrybdis has the inertial guidance system and so only scatters off if you are a bit silly with it. I think the points cost is a small price to pay when you are talking about your main combat unit standing out in the open for a turn doing nothing, and that's if you get your deep strike bang on. Besides they might not come in turn 2, but maybe turn 4. I want my combat unit on as fast as possible and to arrive in one piece, not have the potential to come in turn 4, in the wrong place and do nothing a whole game

I get what you are saying and for a shooting unit, yeah maybe deepstrike could work. But for a unit costing 600 points that wants to be in your face ASAP, it doesn't. You'd have no hesitation putting this kind of unit in a Spartan if you where not running orbital so why would you not go kharybdis if you can't take a Spartan?

260 points is a small price to pay for a guaranteed delivery system that can shoot, fly, flat out, jink and allow you to assault out of in my opinion, besides what can those points get you anyway? Another tac squad?

But each to thier own and variety is after all, the spice of life!

If the unit is taking all combi plas/melta I think it works well, as there's no need for a pod if you're going to shoot when you drop in. For a big ten man unit though, yes a pod to protect them from ap2 blasts is better. 

I get that, but for the huge price tag, It can still scatter off the table, it can still be shot down (causing everyone to take a S10 hit ap2 hit?)

Nope that wouldn't happen unless you were in zooming mode, and the pod starts in hover mode when it drops in so you'd only take s4 hits if the pod was exploded, so there's no much of a risk. Plus with 5hp and jink you have a decent chance of the pod surviving, or at least forcing ap2 weapons to target the pod instead of the terminators. 

Posted · Hidden by Flint13, April 29, 2016 - rude af
Hidden by Flint13, April 29, 2016 - rude af
Basically same delivery method? Are you serious? You've lost all credibility. It's not even worth the time to show you the errors of your ways. LOL. Wow.

Great feedback guys, thank you.

@Fangbanger, I considered 7 pods, but going for that would mean I'd have to drop the flyers completely. 5 is a balanced amount. Your suggestion of 2 Support Squads is an option, but I want to maximise Mor's Murderous Arsenal Warlord Trait, so a single unit of plasma gains a lot out of that.

It was initially hard to justify the Kharybdis in an OA list, for the exact reasons Wolf_Pack mentioned. But let's break down the pros and cons:

PROS

- 5HP AV12 monster that can safely put a unit exactly where you need it (due to Inertial Guidance System and an 18" Flat Out move).

- "guaranteed" Turn 2 Charge.

- 5 independently-targetable S6 AP5 Heavy 2, Pinning, Twin-linked weapons. And a Heat Blast.

- incredibly awesome model.

- a better 5th pod than a Deathstorm.

CONS

- 260 points to Deep Strike a unit that can already Deep Strike.

- expensive model.

@Lord Asvaldir, you're right - native OA Deep Strike works better for a shooty unit (a full squad of Cataphractii with combi-weapons, for instance). So with Gorgons having no significant shooting options, I'm definitely beginning to lean towards the Kharybdis, as it looks doable.

Iron Hands "Red Talon" Version 1.1

Space Marine Legions

Iron-Father Autek Mor: Rite of War (Orbital Assault); cyber-familiar 240

Master of Signal: artificer armour; power axe; refractor field; cyber-familiar 145

Drop Pod

Drop Pod

9 Tactical Support Marines: Tactical Support Sergeant (artificer armour; remove plasma gun; combi-plasma); 8 Tactical Support Marines; plasma guns 290

Drop Pod

7 Gorgon Terminators: Gorgon Hammerbearer (Cyber-familiar); 6 Gorgon Terminators; 6 × combi-bolters; 4 × power axe; 2 × chainfist 300

Xiphon Pattern Interceptor: ground-tracking auguries 215

Fire Raptor Gunship: Reaper autocannon battery 210

Kharybdis Assault Claw

Leviathan Pattern Siege Dreadnought Talon

Leviathan Pattern Siege Dreadnought: 1 Leviathan siege drill; 1 cyclonic melta lance; 2 × twin-linked volkite caliver; phosphex discharger 320

Dreadnought Drop Pod

Legiones Astartes: Iron Hands

Force Organisation Chart: Age of Darkness

2,500 points

Whilst I was pretty happy with the initial list, I'm convinced this updated one is very solid. 1st turn I would DPA the Leviathan, the Gorgons/Mor (in the Kharybdis) and the Tactical Support Squad/MoS. The Leviathan can Phosphex a TEQ unit (or just go for armour), the Tactical Support can vape a unit of choice, and the Kharybdis can Flat Out the Gorgons into position or blast stuff with it's 5 storm launchers. :)

I think that's a much more solid list, the only change I might recommend is take a lightning with kraken missiles over the xiphon, breaking open heavy tanks like a spartan might be a problem and a lightning easily solves that problem. 

the only change I might recommend is take a lightning with kraken missiles over the xiphon, breaking open heavy tanks like a spartan might be a problem and a lightning easily solves that problem.

As much as I agree from a tactical point, I'm going to stick with the Xiphon. I love the model so much, and the fluff piece about Viton Tahn in Book VI is really awesome - they make his Xiphon cockpit into a Dreadnought sarcophagus when he is injured, so he can keep flying! :)

Archived