30th Anniversary ISM in Mentor Legion colors

Hey all. I've been working on painting up my Anniversary marine and I figured I'd share it out with you fine folks.

I'll just drop the pics here with little commentary. Feel free to ask me any questions, though, or offer C & C as usual.

gallery_74115_8912_673677.jpg

Just basecoats and washes down at this point.

gallery_74115_8912_1488422.jpg

gallery_74115_8912_959656.jpg

gallery_74115_8912_361124.jpg

gallery_74115_8912_1432597.jpg

The glossiness comes from trying out Liquitex Slow-Dri blending medium and Flo-Aid to thin the greens and grays. I'll be hitting them with a sealer soon so it'll be easier to see the blends. I'm not thrilled with the way the blending came out so I don't think I'll try that again. The gray/white has a really nice grungy look that I like, though. I'll be adding a bit of chipping and scratching at some point so I think it'll look a lot more 'intentional' at that point. Right now it just looks a bit dirty.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying working on a chapter I've always enjoyed. I think it's the perfect use of this unique model and it will make him very noticeable in my army.

Thanks!

There are a couple armies out there. I know because they show up on Google. Never seen one in real life, though. Kinda makes me want to do a whole squad, but I really should paint my regular dudes before I even think about that. 

Looking awesome Jeff. The green and white pop beautifully off each other. I went with Crimson Fists for mine, but currently in the middle of a house move so could be a while before I get stuck into him. Keep it up!

Thanks, buddy! I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of them in Crimson Fists colors, and for good reason! I read a story about the first time a fantasy gaming group saw the mini, and they said it was painted a deep blue so there's actually a claim to make that CF were the very first color scheme used for this model, and therefore the original space marines in general. I think you'll do it proud. 

Looking good.
Mine is still in the shrink-wrap and like the other limited ed space marines i have will stay that way for ages till i eventually get round to the marines i've accumulated over the years while other forces hold my priority but i'll be glad this guy is in my collection when the time comes.

But i must ask....
What's the stand-thing with the skull on it he's stood on?

Thanks, both of you.

Bats, that's a miniature holder from a company called PK-Pro. It's nice for me because of the way I hold models, with one finger up to stabilize them. Now I can use this arm to do the same without rubbing the paint off the model.

Getting pretty close at this point. Have a look and please offer C&C, if you have a moment.

gallery_74115_8912_239232.jpg

Is it just, or does this pose beg for ice skates and a hocky stick? If this model wasn't so expensive, I think it'd be a blast to convert it as a Space Wolf playing a little ice hockey on Fenris. The movement would totally work for it. And now that I've seen it, I can't NOT see it.

gallery_74115_8912_467089.jpg

Pretty pleased with the little green screen on his forearm here. I'm not done with the metal yet, but I'm trying to decide if I should do add black hazard stripes to these yellow cables or not.

gallery_74115_8912_398453.jpg

Again, ice skates... Tell me it's not a great idea.

gallery_74115_8912_54149.jpg

Ugh. Freehand. Tiny, tiny freehand. Was debating about using just the owl logo or not, but I like the little flag in that old artwork and it clearly shows it on both versions of the shoulder pad. How could I not do it? So this owl looks pretty terrible up close, but I think it's beyond my skill to improve it beyond this point. It looks okay from tabletop at any rate, though I noticed it's actually about 2 or 3 degrees crooked, clockwise. Man, I should have made a decal after all. Maybe I still will. What do you all think? Do-over, decal, do the bigger head without the flag, or just keep it as-is?

Next up: Finish the metal, leather pouches, seal it, weathering and battle damage, then onto my standard gray ash basing.

He's looking good Jeff. The only thing I can really see is that the legs are all one colour and just need a little something to break them up. I'd say some silver detailing on the banding but that might get lost against the white. 

That's a pretty legit point, Kobra. I don't know that I mind too much, as the textural complications add a lot of visual interest. Plus, the green is actually pretty overpowering because of the pose, so a heavier white might be okay in toto. Good looking out, and if I think it needs it I might make the toes and the seals around the calfs darker or silver, like you said. I don't know if it would help a lot, but it's something to watch for. 

I'm not really a fan of the model itself, but everything you've done with the paintjob is screaming nostalgia at me.

Awesome work!

Good! I would call that a job well done, then. I really do like this model. I used to have a couple of them, probably in lead, actually.

Looks superb. I'd be pretty proud of that freehand if i'd done it, and i suggest keeping it.

The only thing i can think of to improve it? Maybe it's the light but the bottom vents on the backpack look way too shiny and clean and flat to me, i'd get a little more shade in to make them look more like there's some more depth in between the vanes in there.

Archived